Worst Counties to Coach?

OldSchoolLion

Below are the top 10 Florida counties in order of population size. 

Which county has the least number of tenured(coaches 8 years or more at a school, which I randomly defined) coaches per capita?  This county has a lot of coaching turnover.

Which county would be #2 on the list of counties with low coaching tenure per capita?

Miami-Dade

Broward

Palm Beach

Hillsborough

Orange

Pinellas

Duval

Lee

Polk

Brevard

28 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Which county has the least number of tenured(coaches 8 years or more at a school, which I randomly defined) coaches per capita?  This county has a lot of coaching turnover.

Which county would be #2 on the list of counties with low coaching tenure per capita?

Miami-Dade

Broward

Palm Beach

Hillsborough

Orange

Pinellas

Duval

Lee

Polk

Brevard

Its DeSoto, trust me.  In the history of their program I can't see where anyone has ever been there more than 7 years.  Seriously, I don't how the last coach there lasted as long as he did; must have some really thick skin! And we they do get a winner, they get ran off.  Consider who has coached there:

Bob Martin: had 2 stints as head coach and was a winner, left and coached at Winter Park, came back, then quit for a couple of years before coaching 18 years at Hardee who he took to the finals twice.

Jim Scroggins: Was a successful coach from Jacksonville who coached the Bulldogs for 6 seasons making them one of the toughest in the area.  Also ran off by the powers that be only to go to Bay HS and take them to the finals and then coach in Georgia.

Charley Tate:  The current coach at Winter Haven started his career as head coach of the DeSoto Bulldogs. Left for a better job at Bartow, then coached Mosley and now Winter Haven.  They should have kept this guy.

Mike Messina: A homegrown DeSoto boy; played for Bob Martin.  Only wanted to coach is home town hs.  Had one down year so they wanted him gone.  He goes down the road to Lemon Bay and coached the Mantas for 16 years and several district championships.

Brad Scott:  Another local boy who played for Bob Martin.  I believe he was coach for only one season.  Goes on to the college ranks as an FSU assistant under Bobby Bowden, then head coach at South Carolina, then an assistant at Clemson.

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Miami-Dade

Broward

Palm Beach

Hillsborough

Orange

Pinellas

Duval

Lee

Polk

Brevard

Duval

1 hour ago, Hwy17 said:

Its DeSoto, trust me.  In the history of their program I can't see where anyone has ever been there more than 7 years.  Seriously, I don't how the last coach there lasted as long as he did; must have some really thick skin! And we they do get a winner, they get ran off.  Consider who has coached there:

Bob Martin: had 2 stints as head coach and was a winner, left and coached at Winter Park, came back, then quit for a couple of years before coaching 18 years at Hardee who he took to the finals twice.

Jim Scroggins: Was a successful coach from Jacksonville who coached the Bulldogs for 6 seasons making them one of the toughest in the area.  Also ran off by the powers that be only to go to Bay HS and take them to the finals and then coach in Georgia.

Charley Tate:  The current coach at Winter Haven started his career as head coach of the DeSoto Bulldogs. Left for a better job at Bartow, then coached Mosley and now Winter Haven.  They should have kept this guy.

Mike Messina: A homegrown DeSoto boy; played for Bob Martin.  Only wanted to coach is home town hs.  Had one down year so they wanted him gone.  He goes down the road to Lemon Bay and coached the Mantas for 16 years and several district championships.

Brad Scott:  Another local boy who played for Bob Martin.  I believe he was coach for only one season.  Goes on to the college ranks as an FSU assistant under Bobby Bowden, then head coach at South Carolina, then an assistant at Clemson.

Has Hardee been having similar challenges?

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Duval

Not Duval!  There are some coaches there with good tenure at their schools

Trinity Christian-Verlon Dorminey-27 seasons-7 state titles

Marty Lee-First Coast-21 seasons-1 final appearance

Raines-Deran Wiley-8 seasons-1 state title

University Christian-David Penland-8 seasons-3 state titles

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

You also said a lot of turnover

Over half the schools there seem to change coaches every year or 2

56 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Has Hardee been having similar challenges?

As in keeping a coach?  Not as bad as other area schools.  This will be coach Kemp's 3rd season and I don't expect he will leave anytime soon.  He's done something none of the others have done and that is win a district title in his first season; back-to-back district champs and we expect another good year.  Just got to get over the playoff hump.   

Previous Coaches

2010 - 2015  = Jerod "Buddy" Martin, (no relation to Bob Martin) was coach 6 seasons. His record was 36-29.  He's now an assistant in Georgia.

2007 - 2009 = Tim Price was coach for 3 seasons.  His record was 19-13

2000 - 2006 = Darren Bryan was coach for 7 seasons.  His record was 68-13

1996 - 1999 = Phil Rasmussen was coach for 4 seasons. His record was 22-17

1978 - 1995 = Bob Martin was coach for 18 seasons. His record was 150-40

26 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I have looked for similar stuff before with no luck

No worries.  I'll get one of the old guys on the board to help me.  They are much more adept at using modern technology,like the internet, to do research.:rolleyes:  You young folks really need to get with the times. :)

5 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Oh and I left off Gary Morton, who was there 6 or 7 seasons in the 2000s. Coach Morton also had them winning, got to the regional finals before the politics forced him out.

11 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Probably Broward County. 

Lee County had a substantial amount of coaching turnover this past year.  6 of 15 public schools have new head coaches this season.

Cape Coral(6A)-Dale More     Combined record of 8 winds-21 losses over past 3 seasons.

East Lee County(6A)-Johnny Brown     Combined record of 10 wins-18 losses over past 3 seasons.

Estero(6A)-???     Combined record of 10 wins-21 losses over past 3 seasons.     

Gateway Charter(4A)-Benjamin Daley     Combined record of 5 wins-28 losses over the past 3 seasons.

Island Coast(6A)-Jim Wiseman     Combined record of 3 wins-26 losses over the past 3 seasons.

N Fort Myers(6A)-Dwayne Mack     Advanced past first round of playoffs once since 1994

It's probably a toss-up between Palm Beach and Broward Counties, but I'll give the nod to Palm Beach County as the most unstable place to coach.  Over half of PB coaches have been at their present school 1 season or less.  We talk about the "problem" of kids transferring.  We appear to have an even bigger issue with coaches moving around in certain parts of the state.  Don't mean to sound critical of the coaches, either.  They have their reasons for doing so.

Broward and Palm Beach Counties Data Combined

·       81%(55/68) of all head coaches in Broward and Palm Beach Counties have been at their present school 3 seasons or less.

·       46%(31/68) of all head coaches in Broward and Palm Beach Counties have been at their present school 1 season or less.

·       28%(19/68) of all head coaches in Broward and Palm Beach Counties this season are new.

Broward County

·       84%(31/37) of all head coaches in Broward County have been at their present school 3 seasons or less.

·       41%(15/37) of all head coaches in Broward County have been at their present school 1 season or less.   

·       24% (9/37) of all head coaches in Broward County are new.

Palm Beach County

·       77%(24/31) of all head coaches in Palm Beach County have been at their present school 3 seasons or less.

·       52%(16/31) of all head coaches in Palm Beach County have been their present school 1 season or less.   

·       32%(10/31) of all head coaches in Palm Beach County this season are new.