Duval County Coaches-Who Is Where & How Long?

OldSchoolLion

Duval County Coaches

24%(5/21) of the coaches below are new.

43%(9/21) have been at their present school 1 year or less.

38%(8/21) have been at their present school 5 years or more.

Relative to other other populous counties, Duval County has a good number of seasoned/tenured coaches.  However, with 43% of coaches at their school 1 year or less, it reflects a substantial amount of "churn." 

5 of Duval County's 21 major football programs have new head coaches this season.

Englewood(6A)-JD Stalvey     Combined record of 10-24 over past 3 seasons

North Florida Educational(2A)-Silas Daniels     Combined record of 6-12 over past 2 seasons.

Providence(3A)-Bobby Dan McGlohorn     Combined record of 9-19 over past 3 seasons

Terry Parker(5A)-Cha-ron Dorsey     Combined record of 10-24 over past 3 seasons

Wolfson(4A)-Dennis Bettinger     Combined record of 2-29 over past 3 seasons

Returning Coaches

*3 winning seasons in a row

Atlantic Coast(7A)-Jimmy Hill-1 season     11-22 combined 3-season record

Baldwin(3A)-Steve Shields-8 seasons     15-16 3-season record

*Bolles(5A)-Wayne Belger-1 season     29-8 3-season record

First Coast(7A)-Marty Lee-21 seasons     9-20 3-season record

Fletcher(7A)-Kevin Brown-2 seasons     19-11 3-season record

Jackson(4A)-Antoine Atwater-1 season     2-27 3-season record

*Lee(7A)-OJ Small-7 seasons     27-9 3-season record

Mandarin(8A)-Bobby Ramsay-1 season     20-11 3-season record

*Raines(4A)-Deran Wiley-8 seasons     32-7 3-season record

*Ribault(5A)-Kelvin Smith-2 seasons     22-14 3-season record

*Sandalwood(8A)-Adam Geis-16 seasons     21-10 3-season record

Stanton(5A)-Michael Healey-2 seasons     10-22 3-season record

*Trinity Christian(5A)-Verlon Dorminey-27 seasons     34-7 3-season record

*University Christian(2A)-David Penland-7 seasons     31-8 3-season record

Westside(5A)-Rodney Dubose-5 seasons     9-18 3-season record

White(6A)-Kevin Sullivan-2 seasons     9-21 3-season record

17 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Duval County Coaches

24%(5/21) of the coaches below are new.

43%(9/21) have been at their present school 1 year or less.

38%(8/21) have been at their present school 5 years or more.

Relative to other other populous counties, Duval County has a good number of seasoned/tenured coaches.  However, with 43% of coaches at their school 1 year or less, it reflects a substantial amount of "churn." 

5 of Duval County's 21 major football programs have new head coaches this season.

Englewood(6A)-JD Stalvey     Combined record of 10-24 over past 3 seasons

North Florida Educational(2A)-Silas Daniels     Combined record of 6-12 over past 2 seasons.

Providence(3A)-Bobby Dan McGlohorn     Combined record of 9-19 over past 3 seasons

Terry Parker(5A)-Cha-ron Dorsey     Combined record of 10-24 over past 3 seasons

Wolfson(4A)-Dennis Bettinger     Combined record of 2-29 over past 3 seasons

Returning Coaches

*3 winning seasons in a row

Atlantic Coast(7A)-Jimmy Hill-1 season     11-22 combined 3-season record

Baldwin(3A)-Steve Shields-8 seasons     15-16 3-season record

*Bolles(5A)-Wayne Belger-1 season     29-8 3-season record

First Coast(7A)-Marty Lee-21 seasons     9-20 3-season record

Fletcher(7A)-Kevin Brown-2 seasons     19-11 3-season record

Jackson(4A)-Antoine Atwater-1 season     2-27 3-season record

*Lee(7A)-OJ Small-7 seasons     27-9 3-season record

Mandarin(8A)-Bobby Ramsay-1 season     20-11 3-season record

*Raines(4A)-Deran Wiley-8 seasons     32-7 3-season record

*Ribault(5A)-Kelvin Smith-2 seasons     22-14 3-season record

*Sandalwood(8A)-Adam Geis-16 seasons     21-10 3-season record

Stanton(5A)-Michael Healey-2 seasons     10-22 3-season record

Trinity Christian(5A)-Verlon Dorminey-27 seasons     34-7 3-season record

*University Christian(2A)-David Penland-7 seasons     31-8 3-season record

Westside(5A)-Rodney Dubose-5 seasons     9-18 3-season record

White(6A)-Kevin Sullivan-2 seasons     9-21 3-season record

Wolfson has had so many coaching changes because they have been garbage for a decade at least, I can see them continuing to have coach changes. The way I see it, All schools except Stanton, Paxon, Wolfson and Terry Parker will keep coaches for 2019.

7 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Does anyone out there think that the historic success of the private schools in Duval has, in some way, held back the progress of some of the public schools there, ie public schools losing athletes to them? 

Sort of

I think the private schools have held back several publics in duval but it's more of the stability that programs like Bolles and Trinity Christian have are far better than stability at most publics in duval which is a area that tends to not be a very stable area for programs

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Sort of

I think the private schools have held back several publics in duval but it's more of the stability that programs like Bolles and Trinity Christian have are far better than stability at most publics in duval which is a area that tends to not be a very stable area for programs

I always thought of Jacksonville as a basketball town prior to the 1990's.  When the Jaguars came about, I thought hs football might really take off there. 

13 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I always thought of Jacksonville as a basketball town prior to the 1990's.  When the Jaguars came about, I thought hs football might really take off there. 

The area has talent

They just end up with 90% of the top talent at a few schools

You speak before about metro consolidated talent to a few schools

Duval is the perfect place to point to when showing that 

10 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

The area has talent

They just end up with 90% of the top talent at a few schools

You speak before about metro consolidated talent to a few schools

Duval is the perfect place to point to when showing that 

Would be interesting to look at top recruits from Duval 15 years ago and see if they were spread out amongst more schools.  That is definitely the case in some areas of south Florida.   

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Would be interesting to look at top recruits from Duval 15 years ago and see if they were spread out amongst more schools.  That is definitely the case in some areas of south Florida.   

South Florida also has a much deeper talent pool and much more schools

But I'm sure if you look at current numbers i would say close to 75% or more of rated players in duval can be seen at a few select schools

Bolles

Trinity Christian 

University Christian 

Sandalwood 

Lee 

Raines

Fletcher 

Ribault 

Most of duval schools watches their studs get snatched up by one of them