Thoughts about IMG

OldSchoolLion

What I saw in the game last night was some athletic kids from Columbia playing against some(not all) overweight, ill-conditioned athletes on IMG.  Hands on the hips right from the get-go.  

I'm afraid it's the "more is better mindset."  ...a '6'8" 370-pound high school lineman...as if he wouldn't be just as dominant 70 pounds lighter.  Last year they had one 6'9" 400 pounds.  Another 6'3"350lbs...another 6'3"325 lbs.   I saw some defensive players with big bellies.  OL's... sure.  DL's... no excuse.  

How can a "world class" sports academy allow their players to be in this condition?  They are literally killing these kids, setting them up for diabetes and/or major cardiac issues.  

I hear a lot of talk about IMG being a national all-star team.  They are, but many of those kids are from Florida. 12 Florida kids on IMG are rated.  And 9/14 kids from OOS are "only" 3-star-see below.  I don't think it's a stretch stating that a good number of those 3-star kids might only be 2-star players if they were playing elsewhere.  Look at their 2 corners, who are from Virginia and 3-star athletes.  Anyone who saw the game last night saw what happened to IMG's DB's....some poor fundamental play.

No doubt IMG has some incredible talent, but last night demonstrates that putting a bunch of individual athletes together is no guarantee they will play well as a team, in a disciplined fashion.  I think it is easier for a group of kids who have been playing together for a long time to pull together and recoup after getting smashed in the mouth.  I saw "bad" body language from IMG players early on.   

Columbia played very well.  Hopefully they will not let that go to their head and start beating their chest.  They outplayed a number of talented individuals last night, but not a particularly good "team," at least not at this point in time.  In no way do I mean to rain on Columbia's parade.  But last night is probably best taken for what it was...a good offensive show against a not-so-stellar defense.       

IMG Offense

Davin Baldwin(QB) 3-star transferred from California

Noah Cain(RB) 4-star transferred from Texas

Josh Delgado(WR) 4-star transferred from California

Shamar Nash(WR) 4-star transferred from Tennessee

Cameron Phillips(WR) 3-star transferred from Ohio

Charles Turner(OL) 3-star transferred from Ohio

Justin Osborne(OL) 3-star transferred from Texas

Chris Akporoghene(OL) 3-star transferred from Texas

Antoine Whitner(OL) 3-star transferred from Virginia

IMG Defense 

Nolan Smith(DE) 5-star transferred from Georgia

Charles Thomas(LB) 3-star transferred from Georgia

Jayden Curry(CB) 3-star transferred from Virginia

Chris Shearin(CB) 3-star transferred from Virginia

Lejond Cavazos(S) 4-star transferred from Texas 

My thoughts on IMG last night 

1) that secondary doesn't look even remotely close to being good based on what i saw and quite frankly I felt they weren't even close to as good as advertised, very underwhelming performance 

2) the defensive line may be huge but they aren't athletic, even when they created pressure our qb was able to move around and leave them running in circles, if img doesent go into full condition mode they will lose if they face a qb who can scramble 

3) if IMG plays like they did last night they will lose at least 3 games this season and @Steve you can back up that i said this last night as well and I think you also mentioned this IMG team didn't look very good 

My thoughts on Columbia is that if we take this game for what it is,  showing our potential and proving to ourselves we can compete with a elite team and beat them then we will be very good this year, however we can't worry about how high everyone will see us ranking wise

I told several players last night that even with that win it means nothing if we don't run the table, a lot of people Thought it was a fluke and only way to prove otherwise is 14-0 and getting to state to face STA/Dwyer/Venice

Columbia also did not seem to care on the field about who was what star rankings 

They played without being intimidated and proved a great team means a hell a lot more than great players on a team who didn't play like a team

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

What I saw in the game last night was some athletic kids from Columbia playing against some(not all) overweight, ill-conditioned athletes on IMG.  Hands on the hips right from the get-go.  

I'm afraid it's the "more is better mindset."  ...a '6'8" 370-pound high school lineman...as if he wouldn't be just as dominant 70 pounds lighter.  Last year they had one 6'9" 400 pounds.  Another 6'3"350lbs...another 6'3"325 lbs.   I saw some defensive players with big bellies.  OL's... sure.  DL's... no excuse.  

How can a "world class" sports academy allow their players to be in this condition?  They are literally killing these kids, setting them up for diabetes and/or major cardiac issues.  

I hear a lot of talk about IMG being a national all-star team.  They are, but many of those kids are from Florida. 12 Florida kids on IMG are rated.  And 9/14 kids from OOS are "only" 3-star-see below.  I don't think it's a stretch stating that a good number of those 3-star kids might only be 2-star players if they were playing elsewhere.  Look at their 2 corners, who are from Virginia and 3-star athletes.  Anyone who saw the game last night saw what happened to IMG's DB's....some poor fundamental play.

No doubt IMG has some incredible talent, but last night demonstrates that putting a bunch of individual athletes together is no guarantee they will play well as a team, in a disciplined fashion.  I think it is easier for a group of kids who have been playing together for a long time to pull together and recoup after getting smashed in the mouth.  I saw "bad" body language from IMG players early on.   

Columbia played very well.  Hopefully they will not let that go to their head and start beating their chest.  They outplayed a number of talented individuals last night, but not a particularly good "team," at least not at this point in time.  In no way do I mean to rain on Columbia's parade.  But last night is probably best taken for what it was...a good offensive show against a not-so-stellar defense.       

IMG Offense

Davin Baldwin(QB) 3-star transferred from California

Noah Cain(RB) 4-star transferred from Texas

Josh Delgado(WR) 4-star transferred from California

Shamar Nash(WR) 4-star transferred from Tennessee

Cameron Phillips(WR) 3-star transferred from Ohio

Charles Turner(OL) 3-star transferred from Ohio

Justin Osborne(OL) 3-star transferred from Texas

Chris Akporoghene(OL) 3-star transferred from Texas

Antoine Whitner(OL) 3-star transferred from Virginia

IMG Defense 

Nolan Smith(DE) 5-star transferred from Georgia

Charles Thomas(LB) 3-star transferred from Georgia

Jayden Curry(CB) 3-star transferred from Virginia

Chris Shearin(CB) 3-star transferred from Virginia

Lejond Cavazos(S) 4-star transferred from Texas 

I've only seen IMG on TV a couple of times.  I think their 2017 team was probably their best since starting.  Their 2015 team would have gotten beat by any number of Florida top 10.  

18 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Actually i felt 2016 was better than last year 

Maybe it was 2014?  I get mixed up.  The year they lost to AHP.  I felt like AHP was the only really good team they played and if AHP could beat them that year so could a lot of other top Florida teams.  

4 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Maybe it was 2014?  I get mixed up.  The year they lost to AHP.  I felt like AHP was the only really good team they played and if AHP could beat them that year so could a lot of other top Florida teams.  

That was 2015 which i agree wasn't overly impressive but i felt the best talent they had was in 2016

I felt last year team had several holes on it

Just now, Wavebb said:

I believe Naples is the only public school in FL to have beaten IMG in a regular season game.

Including koc only 5 teams have ever defeated IMG 

Trinity Christian 

Naples

St John's (MD) 

AHP (koc) 

Columbia (koc) 

33 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Including koc only 5 teams have ever defeated IMG 

Trinity Christian 

Naples

St John's (MD) 

AHP (koc) 

Columbia (koc) 

With all due respect for Columbia's performance last night, I think it is a disservice to teams who beat IMG in a full, regular season game, to group them together with teams that "won" 1/2 half of football in a preseason game.  There is no comparison.  

On that first drive of the second half, IMG moved right down the field and I have to wonder what would have happened if play between the starting teams would have continued.  After witnessing that, I would not have been willing to bet against IMG coming back .  

I don't mean to sound harsh, buddy, but I wish folks would pick one set of statistical books to operate off of and stick there.  We have one set that includes spring games. We have one that includes "full" preseason games.  We have one that includes 1/2 of play.  And we mix and match them and come up with statistics that necessitate lots of asterisks.    

Why can't we just say that Columbia played a great half of football and leave it at that?  Why do we have to try and squeeze some obscure statistic out of it to prove their "greatness?"  Legacy programs like Columbia don't need to be desperate.  That stuff is for programs who have had so little success that they have to scrounge for something to celebrate.

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

With all due respect for Columbia's performance last night, I think it is a disservice to teams who beat IMG in a full, regular season game, to group them together with teams that won 1/2 half of football in a preseason game.  There is no comparison.  

On that first drive of the second half, IMG moved right down the field and I have to wonder what would have happened if play between the starting teams would have continued.  After witnessing that, I would not have been willing to bet against IMG not to come back.  

I don't mean to sound harsh, buddy, but I wish folks would pick one set of statistical books to operate off of and stick there.  We have one set that includes spring games. We have one that includes "full" preseason games.  We have one that includes 1/2 of play.  And we mix and match them and come up with statistics that necessitate lots of asterisks.    

Why can't we just say that Columbia played a great half of football and leave it at that?  Why do we have to try and squeeze some obscure statistic out of it to prove their "greatness?"  Legacy programs like Columbia don't need to be desperate.  That stuff is for programs who have had so little success that they have to scrounge for something to celebrate.

Bc lately people feel our legacy is losing badly to teams of that caliber 

But to assume we couldn't have won a full game is crazy,  could they have come back?  Perhaps but we may have won anyway

In fact our coaches were pissed that we weren't going to play a full game,  we wanted to play national team for 4 quarters,  it was IMG call to put in backups 

@nolebull813 can verify this bc he actually spoke to one of our coaches at the game 

Regardless of it the fact we hung with them when most thought we would get our ass kicked, we proved we are a serious threat in 7a north and 7a in general and that was with our 2 time defensive MVP sitting out with injury

Agree with both points of view. Columbia shocked everyone by dominating first quarter. But the true dominance of IMG is they pound on you with those big guys up front on both sides of the ball and in second half- dominate. Find it hard to believe with Cain and Sanders this won't happen all season long, two of the top RBs in nation. I agree with OSLion that you can't count half a game as a win,especially against an IMG second half team. 

That said all Columbia fans should be flying high as a kite, team looked great in all phases of game and you should be looking forward to one of the better seasons in your history. Lots to be excited about!  

OSLion, on conditioning of IMG team. The 400lb OL from last year is Evan Neal down to 360 and the top tackle in high school football. The staff has done an incredible job turning Neal's personal potential into reality. At this years Opening he dominated the top DEs in the country.  

My point is a lot of these guys come to the program with serious conditioning issues and some understand with proper discipline and diet can become elite.Hoping to get Neal at Bama next year at 345 and fighting for playing time. 

17 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Bc lately people feel our legacy is losing badly to teams of that caliber 

But to assume we couldn't have won a full game is crazy,  could they have come back?  Perhaps but we may have won anyway

In fact our coaches were pissed that we weren't going to play a full game,  we wanted to play national team for 4 quarters,  it was IMG call to put in backups 

@nolebull813 can verify this bc he actually spoke to one of our coaches at the game 

Regardless of it the fact we hung with them when most thought we would get our ass kicked, we proved we are a serious threat in 7a north and 7a in general and that was with our 2 time defensive MVP sitting out with injury

ColumbiaFan...I tease a lot about Columbia High because of you:).  In reality, I have tremendous respect for the program, as does anyone who knows anything about FL hs football. 

My guess is that the people who think otherwise are basing it off the 20 years of football they have seen since they were in diapers.  So, consider the source of people truly belittling/bashing the program (and not just teasing you like me).

No slight intended, but you have seen very little football in your day, relatively speaking, and aren't in the best position to be defending Columbia's honor.  Leave that for the players who were grinding it 20+ years ago.  And I guarantee you, they are not worried about what some punk on the internet says about Columbia football, because they know better.         

16 minutes ago, Bamarod said:

Agree with both points of view. Columbia shocked everyone by dominating first quarter. But the true dominance of IMG is they pound on you with those big guys up front on both sides of the ball and in second half- dominate. Find it hard to believe with Cain and Sanders this won't happen all season long, two of the top RBs in nation. I agree with OSLion that you can't count half a game as a win,especially against an IMG second half team. 

That said all Columbia fans should be flying high as a kite, team looked great in all phases of game and you should be looking forward to one of the better seasons in your history. Lots to be excited about!  

I get that but it's only a assumption to say they would have came back

We will never know for sure but regardless Columbia proved we are a serious threat in 7a during that game 

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

ColumbiaFan...I tease a lot about Columbia High because of you:).  In reality, I have tremendous respect for the program, as does anyone who knows anything about FL hs football. 

My guess is that the people who think otherwise are basing it off the 20 years of football they have seen since they were in diapers.  So, consider the source of people truly belittling/bashing the program (and not just teasing you like me).

No slight intended, but you have seen very little football in your day, relatively speaking, and aren't in the best position to be defending Columbia's honor.  Leave that for the players who were grinding it 20+ years ago.  And I guarantee you, they are not worried about what some punk on the internet says about Columbia football, because they know better.         

Wasnt saying you specifically 

Just generally speaking 

26 minutes ago, Bamarod said:

Everyone is talking about how big IMG is, but let me tell you Columbia has some big boys on both sides of the line.   They held their own.   I've always thought IMG secondary was never that good save 2016 with Bookie (same with WRs).   The thing that set apart IMG the last few years was that the D front had literally some of the BEST DTs in the nation.   They don't seem to have that anymore (in the middle).    

I do think their offense will click though.  

Just now, 954gator said:

Everyone is talking about how big IMG is, but let me tell you Columbia has some big boys on both sides of the line.   They held their own.   I've always though IMG secondary was never that good save 2016 with Bookie.   The thing is the D front has always had literally some of the BEST DTs in the nation.   They don't seem to have that anymore (in the middle).    

What was your thoughts on Jordan Smith (junior qb for Columbia)

He was making that DL run in circles 

And he only has 3 total offers and the biggest one was Valdosta State 

3 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Everyone is talking about how big IMG is, but let me tell you Columbia has some big boys on both sides of the line.   They held their own.   I've always thought IMG secondary was never that good save 2016 with Bookie (same with WRs).   The thing that set apart IMG the last few years was that the D front had literally some of the BEST DTs in the nation.   They don't seem to have that anymore (in the middle).    

Georgia Southern
Chattanooga
Florida A&M

these are the 3 offers Jordan has

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

What was your thoughts on Jordan Smith (junior qb for Columbia)

He was making that DL run in circles 

And he only has 3 total offers and the biggest one was Valdosta State 

He was like a mongoose back there.   No body could touch him.   Also he seemed to know where his guys were going to be at all times.  I swear he threw a couple throws without looking and almost completed them lol.   You should be proud of your boys they played excellent. 

Just now, 954gator said:

He was like a mongoose back there.   No body could touch him.   Also he seemed to know where his guys were going to be at all times.  I swear he threw a couple throws without looking and almost completed them lol.   You should be proud of your boys they played excellent. 

If they play like that every week we will have no problem making it to Orlando this year