Thoughts about IMG

OldSchoolLion

13 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I'm not an IMG fan so hopefully can objectively assess that half of football for what it was.  Something tells me their coaching staff is not that worried after that game.  Good coaches would not be.  Most coaches would love to have the "problem" IMG has with their defense.  It's an interesting topic because in today's age of polls some people don't recognize that there are certain programs that do better as the season progresses and coaches who coach for that...instead of worrying about early season rankings.     

Jaquaze Sorrells(DT) 4-star 

Nolan Smith(DE) 5-star 

Trevon Riggins(DE) 4-star 

Jaleel McRae(LB) 4-star 

Mikel Jones(LB) 4-star 

Briton Allen(S) 4-star 

Lejond Cavazos(S)  4-star

I believe you are 100% correct in your assessment. IMG has never looked good in any preseason game I have seen them play. Most of their preseason games they just barely win. Some of the games I've watched I was surprised that they didn't lose. I some how feel that any team that IMG plays, whether preseason or regular season, the opposing teams throws everything but the kitchen sink at them and are totally serious about defeating IMG although it's just a glorified scrimmage and of course doesn't count for anything. IMG, it seems, does not take any preseason game that seriously. Their coaches simply do what they are supposed to do in a game that is a scrimmage and that is to assess all of their players and run various formations. They are also mindful of early season injurious and are looking to avoid them at all cost.  Just watch this team in the first game of the regular season. They will play up to their billing. IMG just has too many top flight assets going for them and I see another undefeated or at the most a 1 loss season. 

6 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

I believe you are 100% correct in your assessment. IMG has never looked good in any preseason game I have seen them play. Most of their preseason games they just barely win. Some of the games I've watched I was surprised that they didn't lose. I some how feel that any team that IMG plays, whether preseason or regular season, the opposing teams throws everything but the kitchen sink at them and are totally serious about defeating IMG although it's just a glorified scrimmage and of course doesn't count for anything. IMG, it seems, does not take any preseason game that seriously. Their coaches simply do what they are supposed to do in a game that is a scrimmage and that is to assess all of their players and run various formations. They are also mindful of early season injurious and are looking to avoid them at all cost.  Just watch this team in the first game of the regular season. They will play up to their billing. IMG just has too many top flight assets going for them and I see another undefeated or at the most a 1 loss season. 

If so then did so many out there feel we would get destroyed?

Seems like people are just making excuses for IMG so they can avoid admitting that they felt Columbia was a "average team" and Columbia proved we won't be some pushover this year 

Ps.  Not saying you or anyone else specifically 

Just in general 

31 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Seems like people are just making excuses for IMG so they can avoid admitting that they felt Columbia was a "average team" and Columbia proved we won't be some pushover this year 

Just in general 

That guy "in general" is nothing but a troublemaker.  He lives in your head.  Please have a stern talkin' with him and tell him to keep his thoughts to himself.:rolleyes:        

P-R-E-S-E-A-S-O-N

I can not say this enough times. The game doesn't count, it is a glorified scrimmage that allows the FHSAA to make a little bit more money and a little of bit of live practices for the teams.

Did CHS do a better job than almost all people thought (including myself)? Yep. Still a preseason game. Just a reminder, 2017 Patriots 0-4 in preseason, Eagles 1-3.

Pre-season games mean nothing. And that chest beating over Raines last year? Which team won a state championship and which team lost in the 1st round against an underdog?

That win in Apopka in 2016? 2nd round loss to Lee.
That loss to Apopka in 2015? State-Final loss to Viera.
That win over West Orange in 2014? 1st round loss to St. Augustine. 

In other words, if we are supposed to gauge how good you are by your pre-season outcomes, it looks like a loss has been more helpful than those "big" wins.

WE TALKIN' ABOUT PRACTICE MAN!!!!

3 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

P-R-E-S-E-A-S-O-N

I can not say this enough times. The game doesn't count, it is a glorified scrimmage that allows the FHSAA to make a little bit more money and a little of bit of live practices for the teams.

Did CHS do a better job than almost all people thought (including myself)? Yep. Still a preseason game. Just a reminder, 2017 Patriots 0-4 in preseason, Eagles 1-3.

Pre-season games mean nothing. And that chest beating over Raines last year? Which team won a state championship and which team lost in the 1st round against an underdog?

In other words, if we are supposed to gauge how good you are by your pre-season outcomes, it looks like a loss has been more helpful than those "big" wins.

Won't be preseason on Thursday 

6 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

P-R-E-S-E-A-S-O-N

Holy cow!  Based on the causal relationship above, one might predict that Columbia may not even make the playoffs this year!   ...amount of preseason chest-beating is inversely proportional to playoff success.  

On 8/18/2018 at 12:23 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

My thoughts on IMG last night 

1) that secondary doesn't look even remotely close to being good based on what i saw and quite frankly I felt they weren't even close to as good as advertised, very underwhelming performance 

2) the defensive line may be huge but they aren't athletic, even when they created pressure our qb was able to move around and leave them running in circles, if img doesent go into full condition mode they will lose if they face a qb who can scramble 

3) if IMG plays like they did last night they will lose at least 3 games this season and @Steve you can back up that i said this last night as well and I think you also mentioned this IMG team didn't look very good 

My thoughts on Columbia is that if we take this game for what it is,  showing our potential and proving to ourselves we can compete with a elite team and beat them then we will be very good this year, however we can't worry about how high everyone will see us ranking wise

I told several players last night that even with that win it means nothing if we don't run the table, a lot of people Thought it was a fluke and only way to prove otherwise is 14-0 and getting to state to face STA/Dwyer/Venice

Columbia also did not seem to care on the field about who was what star rankings 

They played without being intimidated and proved a great team means a hell a lot more than great players on a team who didn't play like a team

Yes I remember you saying that friday night @ColumbiaHighFan2017class and rightfully so. If this is what IMG will be bringing this year they will lose 3 or more games easily. I was nothing but impressed with Columbia too. They took it to IMG from the start and never let up. Were making all their drives look very easy. Columbia is a force to be reckoned with this year. Their is no doubt about that. Rock solid performance all around on friday night 

On 8/20/2018 at 2:28 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Just in general 

I for one thought that the Tigers would give IMG all they could handle. IMG is vulnerable especially in the preseason. That, coupled with a Tiger team playing balls to the wall, made for a win over the consensus number 1 team in the country. I seriously doubt that Columbia would defeat IMG in the regular season or it would be extremely difficult for Columbia to win. This is just my opinion from a historical perspective in that IMG seems to take care of business against the best in the nation on a regular basis. It looks as though Columbia may be headed to a visit to Orlando this season if they can maintain an even keel. The tigers seem to have a habit of defeating teams they are not supposed to defeat and being tripped up by teams that they should routinely defeat.

2 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

IMG Academy extends streak to 38 with win over defending Pennsylvania state champion

Stingy Ascenders defense holds Pine-Richland to 75 yards of total offense.

So much for IMG's supposedly porous defense and lack of speed. Different team in the regular season as opposed to the scrimmage season.

I didn't say lack of speed i said out of shape 

The players on the field WERE the national players and they were GASSED 

Stuff like that don't change from preseason to week 1

Sooner or later it will catch up to them

Mater Dei beats them, you know same mater Dei who just went to Las Vegas Nevada and beat Bishop Gorman 42-0

Report: Defending national champion Mater Dei forfeits season-opener

Monarchs self-reported use of ineligible player during a lopsided win over Bishop Amat.

Orange County Register writer Steve Fryer tweeted Wednesday morning that the Monarchs forfeited last week's season-opening 42-14 win over Bishop Amat (La Puente, Calif.) for use of an ineligible player. Mater Dei self-reported the violation, according to another report.

The player is a senior who transferred to Mater Dei, according to Fryer's tweet, who had "already used up his eight semesters of athletic eligibility."

Mater Dei, which went 15-0 last season and won its first CIF State Open Division title, has come under fire during the offseason for receiving an abundance of transfers. According to a report from Los Angeles Times reporter Eric Sondheimer, the Monarchs received 24 transfers since last football season.

24 transfers? That could make up an entire team at many schools.

1 minute ago, Proseteye said:

Report: Defending national champion Mater Dei forfeits season-opener

Monarchs self-reported use of ineligible player during a lopsided win over Bishop Amat.

Orange County Register writer Steve Fryer tweeted Wednesday morning that the Monarchs forfeited last week's season-opening 42-14 win over Bishop Amat (La Puente, Calif.) for use of an ineligible player. Mater Dei self-reported the violation, according to another report.

The player is a senior who transferred to Mater Dei, according to Fryer's tweet, who had "already used up his eight semesters of athletic eligibility."

Mater Dei, which went 15-0 last season and won its first CIF State Open Division title, has come under fire during the offseason for receiving an abundance of transfers. According to a report from Los Angeles Times reporter Eric Sondheimer, the Monarchs received 24 transfers since last football season.

24 transfers? That could make up an entire team at many schools.

And i thought FL schools had tons of transfers 

@OldSchoolLion since you seem to always have data lying around

Could you make a list of FL teams (if any) who had 20 or more transfers into the program this off-season 

9 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I didn't say lack of speed i said out of shape 

The players on the field WERE the national players and they were GASSED 

Stuff like that don't change from preseason to week 1

Sooner or later it will catch up to them

Mater Dei beats them, you know same mater Dei who just went to Las Vegas Nevada and beat Bishop Gorman 42-0

Once again, the IMG pre season and the regular season are like night and day. I see this every year with IMG. My take on it is that it's difficult to get an assorted group of super stars working as a team until it really matters. They know that recruiters will not be watching nor attending pre season games (glorified scrimmages) for the most part. From the 1st game of the season it's a whole different story. IMG players have one goal and their only goal and that is to be recruited into a D-1 program. The vast majority of Columbia players, just like all regular high schools, will not be recruited and will never play football again after their HS days. This I believe is what makes the difference with the IMG program and why the team can be complacent in pre season and lights out in the regular season.

1 hour ago, Proseteye said:

Once again, the IMG pre season and the regular season are like night and day. I see this every year with IMG. My take on it is that it's difficult to get an assorted group of super stars working as a team until it really matters. They know that recruiters will not be watching nor attending pre season games (glorified scrimmages) for the most part. From the 1st game of the season it's a whole different story. IMG players have one goal and their only goal and that is to be recruited into a D-1 program. The vast majority of Columbia players, just like all regular high schools, will not be recruited and will never play football again after their HS days. This I believe is what makes the difference with the IMG program and why the team can be complacent in pre season and lights out in the regular season.

I don't deny that there was a lack of effort on part of IMG 

However based on what i saw with my own eyes that defensive line (which i constantly hear was so dominate) looked out of shape 

Again they must have found a way to cover up the weaknesses or maybe Pine Richland wasn't able to expose those weaknesses 

The latter would be a huge surprise since pine Richland is ranked nationally and polls like maxpreps had us at 50th in FL 

4 hours ago, Proseteye said:

Valid points.   IMG was playing some kids on defense in the Columbia game and it is pretty obvious they were trying to get them reps.  I watched tapes and confirmed numbers.  The IMG guys getting owned on the edge were not their big names Nolan Smith and Trevon Riggins.  I saw one play where Smith blew by his Columbia blocker.  

Apparently IMG shut down Pine-Richland's offense and held them to 75 yards total offense.  I read that Smith terrorized the offense.  One of the "out of shape" guys we saw on IMGS's dline against Columbia was 6'4" 320-pound Deyavie Hammond, an offenive lineman from Lakeland.   They also played a kid named Hank Greathouse who is a senior and is not even rated.  There was yet another no-name fellow who got reps on the Dline, too  They also gave reps to a linebacker who is not one of their top 3. 

From a common sense perspective, it would not have made sense to play someone like Smith the whole half in a low-profile scrimmage and risk injury.  If I was a coach in a program that charges $50-75k per year tuition like IMG, I would make it a priority to get some of the lower profile players(especially seniors) some reps so that mom/dad would be pleased...recognizing that such opportunities might be limited during the regular season.  IMG has a roster of well over 100 players.  Think there is some pressure on the coaches to find playing time?

18 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Valid points.   IMG was playing some kids on defense in the Columbia game and it is pretty obvious they were trying to get them reps.  I watched tapes and confirmed numbers.  The IMG guys getting owned on the edge were not their big names Nolan Smith and Trevon Riggins.  I saw one play where Smith blew by his Columbia blocker.  

Apparently IMG shut down Pine-Richland's offense and held them to 75 yards total offense.  I read that Smith terrorized the offense.  One of the "out of shape" guys we saw on IMGS's dline against Columbia was 6'4" 320-pound Deyavie Hammond, an offenive lineman from Lakeland.   They also played a kid named Hank Greathouse who is a senior and is not even rated.  There was yet another no-name fellow who got reps on the Dline, too  They also gave reps to a linebacker who is not one of their top 3. 

From a common sense perspective, it would not have made sense to play someone like Smith the whole half in a low-profile scrimmage and risk injury.  If I was a coach in a program that charges $50-75k per year tuition like IMG, I would make it a priority to get some of the lower profile players(especially seniors) some reps so that mom/dad would be pleased...recognizing that such opportunities might be limited during the regular season.  IMG has a roster of well over 100 players.  Think there is some pressure on the coaches to find playing time?

There was also recorded footage in the Columbia vs IMG game where our blocker handled the number 1 national player successfully 

I would have rather been blown out by the entire national team playing the entire game then to get some false hope by playing what was effectively a mix of a few studs and backups and put a target on us and winning 

Now we are in a spot where we have to make it to Orlando or we look like underachivers and brides maids 

Why couldn't Miami Christian follow through on their responsibility and played IMG white so we wouldn't have had to play a mixed game 

6 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I would have rather been blown out by the entire national team playing the entire game then to get some false hope by playing what was effectively a mix of a few studs and backups and put a target on us and winning 

Now we are in a spot where we have to make it to Orlando or we look like underachivers and brides maids 

Why couldn't Miami Christian follow through on their responsibility and played IMG white so we wouldn't have had to play a mixed game 

Good news is IMG coaching staff has your game  to keep their players motivated. 

Just now, Bamarod said:

Good news is IMG coaching staff has your game  to keep their players motivated. 

Yeah apparently we ended up helping them 

Still trying to figure out what we gained if we were facing a mixed team 

Now i don't have any idea how well we will do against elite teams because I don't even know how many of their studs besides the 2 RBs played the majority of the first half 

I saw several studs in during the replay but idk how long each player was in for