St Thomas Aquinas vs Dematha

OldSchoolLion

Game will be televised on ESPN2 at 7PM on Saturday.  Dematha plays in the Washington Catholic League, often recognized as one of the toughest leagues in the country.  It includes teams such as Gonzaga, St John's, and Our Lady of Good Counsel.  

Dematha is not afraid to hit the road to take on tough competition-see below.  Interestingly, they are 3-0 versus FL teams over the past 5 years, with home wins over Miami Central (38-14 in 2015) and Godby (26-9 in 2013), in addition to a road victory over American Heritage in 2015.   

2017 loss vs Bishop Gorman(NV) 35-23

2016 win vs Oscar Smith(VA) 42-7

2015 win vs American Heritage Plantation(FL) 23-22; also beat Miami Central at home 38-14

2014 loss vs Archbishop Wood(PA) 34-13

2013 loss vs St Joseph Regional(NJ) 42-14; also beat Godby at home 26-9 

2012 win vs Hillside(NC) 52-14

2007 loss vs St Xavier(OH) 28-7

Dematha may have one of the best defenses in the country, at least on paper.  More stars than even St Thomas Aquinas?  How about 2 of the stop db's and 2 of the top DE's in the country?  Below are some of Dematha's top recruits.  Further below are some of Aquinas' top recruits, for comparison.   This could be a low-scoring one.

Dematha Offense

Marshawn Lloyd-5 star RB with Multiple Power 5 offers; one of top jr rb's in the country

Kaden Prather-sophomore WR 6'3" 185 Maryland offer

Golden Achumba-3 star OL with Multiple Power 5 offers 6'4" 320 junior 

Andrew Allmond-2 star OL 6'6" 320

Dematha Defense

Bryan Bresee-5-star DE with Multiple Power 5 offers; rated the #1 jr in the country all positions 6'5" 290 

Coziah Izzard-4 star DE with Multiple Power 5 offers; one of top jr DE's in the country 6'3" 260

Colin Mobley-DE 6'4" 240 sophomore Penn St and Maryland offers 

Jordan White-3 star DT with Multiple Power 5 offers 6'3" 295 junior

Nick Cross -4 star safety with Multiple Power 5 offers

Demarcco Hellams-4 star safety Alabama commit

Jermaine Johnson-3 star CB

STA Offense

Curt Casteel-QB(Sr)  (3-star)

Mariano Valenti(Sr) (3-star)

Daniel Carter-RB(Sr) (4-star)

Nigel White - RB(Sr) (3-star)

Marcus Rosemy -WR(Jr) (5-star)

Jamal Cooney-WR(Sr) (3-star)

Marcus Dumervil-OL(Jr) 

Julian Hernandez -OL(Sr) (3-star)

Vincent Murphy-OL(Sr) (3-star)

Jake Pope-OL(Sr) (3-star)

STA Defense

Jahmar Brown-LB(Sr) (3-star)

Derek Wingo-LB(Jr) (4-star) 

Anthony Solomon-LB(Sr) (4-star)

Jaden Davis-CB (Sr) (4-star)

Jordan Battle-S (Sr) (4-star)

Myles Bell-CB(Sr)  (3-star)

Jason Munoz-DE(Sr) (3-star)

I worry about this one.   STA didn't play a kickoff classic or really test themselves and Dematha has had at least 2 big scrimmages.   If STA is too rusty they might not be able to pull it off.  I have confidence in their D, but haven't seen their O anywhere near the level it was when Smith was there.   I do however like some of the athletes on O.  Marcus Rosemy looks special.   
When I watched Dematha last year vs Gorman they were great against the run but struggled against the pass.   So, they are setup to give STA some problems, at least the STA we've seen the last couple years.   

8 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I worry about this one.   STA didn't play a kickoff classic or really test themselves and Dematha has had at least 2 big scrimmages.   If STA is too rusty they might not be able to pull it off.  I have confidence in their D, but haven't seen their O anywhere near the level it was when Smith was there.   I do however like some of the athletes on O.  Marcus Rosemy looks special.   
When I watched Dematha last year vs Gorman they were great against the run but struggled against the pass.   So, they are setup to give STA some problems, at least the STA we've seen the last couple years.   

You hit the nail on the head.  Not the defense you want your offense to face to work out the kinks.  STA's Oline could have big problems against Dematha's D front.   South Florida schools often have the edge in the D backfield, but Dematha may be just as good.  

17 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Dematha may have one of the best defenses in the country, at least on paper.  More stars than even St Thomas Aquinas?  How about 2 of the stop db's and 2 of the top DE's in the country?  Below are some of Dematha's top recruits.  Further below are some of Aquinas' top recruits, for comparison.   This could be a low-scoring one.

Dematha Offense

Marshawn Lloyd-5 star RB with Multiple Power 5 offers; one of top jr rb's in the country

Kaden Prather-sophomore WR 6'3" 185 Maryland offer

Golden Achumba-3 star OL with Multiple Power 5 offers 6'4" 320 junior 

Andrew Allmond-2 star OL 6'6" 320

Dematha Defense

Bryan Bresee-5-star DE with Multiple Power 5 offers; rated the #1 jr in the country all positions 6'5" 290 

Coziah Izzard-4 star DE with Multiple Power 5 offers; one of top jr DE's in the country 6'3" 260

Colin Mobley-DE 6'4" 240 sophomore Penn St and Maryland offers 

Jordan White-3 star DT with Multiple Power 5 offers 6'3" 295 junior

Nick Cross -4 star safety with Multiple Power 5 offers

Demarcco Hellams-4 star safety Alabama commit

Jermaine Johnson-3 star CB

STA Offense

Curt Casteel-QB(Sr)  (3-star)

Mariano Valenti(Sr) (3-star)

Daniel Carter-RB(Sr) (4-star)

Nigel White - RB(Sr) (3-star)

Marcus Rosemy -WR(Jr) (5-star)

Jamal Cooney-WR(Sr) (3-star)

Marcus Dumervil-OL(Jr) 

Julian Hernandez -OL(Sr) (3-star)

Vincent Murphy-OL(Sr) (3-star)

Jake Pope-OL(Sr) (3-star)

STA Defense

Jahmar Brown-LB(Sr) (3-star)

Derek Wingo-LB(Jr) (4-star) 

Anthony Solomon-LB(Sr) (4-star)

Jaden Davis-CB (Sr) (4-star)

Jordan Battle-S (Sr) (4-star)

Myles Bell-CB(Sr)  (3-star)

Jason Munoz-DE(Sr) (3-star)

You're definitely missing some for STA especially on D.   STA will still have the talent advantage vs Dematha.   Still, that doesn't mean chit if they can't move the ball.    

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/Recruits/?Player.Enabled=False&Recruitment.Enabled=True&PlayerSport.PlayerInstitution.Institution.Key=1414

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/Recruits/?Player.Enabled=False&Recruitment.Enabled=True&PlayerSport.PlayerInstitution.Institution.Key=1414

Also to add to those a couple 2021 DE's that will be special.  Both will be highly ranked.    Tyreak Sapp and Tyrique Owens.

35 minutes ago, 954gator said:

You're definitely missing some for STA especially on D.   STA will still have the talent advantage vs Dematha.   Still, that doesn't mean chit if they can't move the ball.    

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/Recruits/?Player.Enabled=False&Recruitment.Enabled=True&PlayerSport.PlayerInstitution.Institution.Key=1414

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/Recruits/?Player.Enabled=False&Recruitment.Enabled=True&PlayerSport.PlayerInstitution.Institution.Key=1414

Also to add to those a couple 2021 DE's that will be special.  Both will be highly ranked.    Tyreak Sapp and Tyrique Owens.

Something seems to have changed at St Thomas this decade(besides coaching) and it is hard to put one's finger on.   ...my guess...I think STA has too much individual talent, as crazy as that sounds.  I don't know how anyone effectively coaches 25 teenagers who already have their bags packed for college. 

The level of distraction...between college coaches courting, tweeting, keeping up my profile page, our game next week on ESPN, the new uniforms with textiles from NASA:), etc.  It is overwhelming.   And little of it is doing anything to improve execution on the field..a lot of wasted energy.    

STA has more talent than ever, but their teams don't seem to click as consistently as teams of last decade...at least that is my impression.      

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Something seems to have changed at St Thomas this decade(besides coaching) and it is hard to put one's finger on.   ...my guess...I think STA has too much individual talent, as crazy as that sounds.  I don't know how anyone effectively coaches 25 teenagers who already have their bags packed for college. 

The level of distraction...between college coaches courting, tweeting, keeping up my profile page, our game next week on ESPN, the new uniforms with textiles from NASA:), etc.  It is overwhelming.   And little of it is doing anything to improve execution on the field..a lot of wasted energy.    

STA has more talent than ever, but their teams don't seem to click as consistently as teams of last decade...at least that is my impression.      

Honestly if university school didn't fall apart a few years ago then who's to say Sam Bruce and Jordan Scarlett would have transferred to STA 

Those 2 were huge players for them in 2015 which was probably their best team in the recent run

But their offense struggled last year after OC left so who's to say STA is going to suddenly fix the offense this year

If IMG vs Columbia proved anything it's that star rankings aren't everything 

Point is unless sta fixes their offense that struggled heavily last year they ain't winning 7a

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

...thought you might get a kick out of this.  These were STA's 3 and 4-star recruits on their 2003 team.  The level of talent they have today compared to even 15 years ago is mindboggling.  

Tavares Gooden-4 star LB

David Marrero-3 star RB

Jay Ottovegio-3 star K

Anthony Reddick-3 star S

3 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...thought you might get a kick out of this.  These were STA's 3 and 4-star recruits on their 2003 team.  The level of talent they have today compared to even 15 years ago is mindboggling.  

Tavares Gooden-4 star LB

David Marrero-3 star RB

Jay Ottovegio-3 star K

Anthony Reddick-3 star S

Hah david marrero and Jay Ottovegio were good friends of mine.   Unfortunately that was our worst year.   The three years prior we were at state.  

39 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Hah david marrero and Jay Ottovegio were good friends of mine.   Unfortunately that was our worst year.   The three years prior we were at state.  

I believe they/you ran into that nasty Edison team in 2003.  St Thomas could win state titles with "only" a handful of big-name talent in the past.   It seems odd they have so much more today but are not necessarily more successful.      

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I believe they/you ran into that nasty Edison team in 2003.  St Thomas could win state titles with "only" a handful of big-name talent in the past.   It seems odd they have so much more today but are not necessarily more successful.      

Well as Friday proved there a lot more factors that go into a high school team being good then just "star talent"

53 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Yes.  Dillard had a huge win over Jackson without any big stars. 

I’ve been saying all the while coaching is what we’ve been missing out of gibbons and booker t we’re gonna win one of those games mark it!!! And if by some crazy chance we don’t i honestly believe their gonna be close and hard fought.

1 hour ago, “PANTHER NATION(CODE BLUE) said:

I’ve been saying all the while coaching is what we’ve been missing out of gibbons and booker t we’re gonna win one of those games mark it!!! And if by some crazy chance we don’t i honestly believe their gonna be close and hard fought.

Saw some highlights and I must say the offense looked full of life.  Dillard has sorta been like STA of late with very vanilla O.   I liked what I saw.