Future Issues at Chaminade-Madonna?

OldSchoolLion

According to 3A guru Jessica, Chaminade-Madonna has 34 players on their varsity roster.  Does anyone see a potential problem coming down the pike based on the information below?

Transferred in this year
Sr RB Willie Davis-transferred from Miami Central
Sr WR John Dunmore-transferred from AH Delray
Sr WR Jordan Cash-transferred from Oxbridge
Sr WR Grantis Poole-transferred from Ely
Sr OL Justin George-transferred from Flanagan
Sr OL Yousef Abu-transferred from West Broward
Jr OL Joseph Habinowski-transferred from McArthur
Jr Multi-role Rony Bordeau-transferred from Champagnat 
Jr LB Marc Christie-transferred from West Broward
Jr DE Kijuan Reid-Jacques-transferred from Everglades
Sr DE Thomas Armstrong-transferred from West Broward
Jr K Gabriel Gomez-transferred from Lake Mary Prep
So P Carter Davis-transferred from South Plantation

Transferred in last year
Sr LB Keyshawn Fede-transferred from Miramar junior season
Sr S Ahmaud Jordan-transferred from Nova junior season
Sr OL Timothy Butler-transferred from S Plantation junior season 
Sr OL Lynden Washington-transferred from Plantation junior season
Sr DE Cameron Williams-transferred from Nova junior season
Jr CB Benjamin Onwuzo-transferred from Flanagan sophomore season
Jr DT/OL William Moise-transferred from Georgia sophomore season
Jr Deidrick Stanley-transferred from St Thomas Aquinas sophomore season

3 or more years at Chaminade-Madonna 
Sr QB Daelen Menard
Sr CB James Williams
Sr S Keontra Smith
Sr CB Tecory Couch
Sr DT Andrew Iulianelli
Sr LB Jake Hoffman

Here is the truth about Chaminade in my honest opinion:

It's no secret to the people here is SFL that the coaching staff at Chaminade is an absolute disaster. The Head Coach ran off anyone on the staff who knew more football than him (true story, not a joke). The community of coaches down here secretly laugh about Jones's lack of football knowledge and his inability to even carry on a conversation about Xs and Os. Nobody (former players, former staff members, current players, current staff members) has EVER seen him on the white board because he would be completely exposed. If you think I am lying ask someone.

Chaminade must bring in players who are upperclassmen because those players are somewhat developed from other programs. The lack of knowledge is completely obvious. They basically run 4 plays on offense, 1 coverage on defense and usually blitz one or both inside backers. That's all they know how do to and last year with all the amazing talent it was good enough. It wont be this year. Someone will pick them off. 

Unfortunately for Jones and company the hard work by Jason Milgrom bring Chaminade back to life is wearing off. Stars (that were Milgrom guys) like Shivers, X Williams, Hawkins, Prince, Colombi, Livingston and more are gone. Milgrom's final group of Menard, K Smith, J Williams, Iulianelli, and Hoffman will be gone soon too. All that will be left are undeveloped transfers playing for an underachieving program. The downfall is upon us and I know exactly who is going to take them out in the playoffs. 

If anyone out there doesn't believe me, find Dameon Jones and challenge him to get on the white board and explain a variety of football concepts to you. I have 1,000 bucks that says he can't...but more importantly wont do it. Film it for proof, post the link and payment will be made lol.:lol:

7 minutes ago, SFL SPY said:

It's no secret to the people here is SFL that the coaching staff at Chaminade is an absolute disaster. The Head Coach ran off anyone on the staff who knew more football than him (true story, not a joke). The community of coaches down here secretly laugh about Jones's lack of football knowledge and his inability to even carry on a conversation about Xs and Os. Nobody (former players, former staff members, current players, current staff members) has EVER seen him on the white board because he would be completely exposed. If you think I am lying ask someone.

Chaminade must bring in players who are upperclassmen because those players are somewhat developed from other programs. The lack of knowledge is completely obvious. They basically run 4 plays on offense, 1 coverage on defense and usually blitz one or both inside backers. That's all they know how do to and last year with all the amazing talent it was good enough. It wont be this year. Someone will pick them off. 

Unfortunately for Jones and company the hard work by Jason Milgrom bring Chaminade back to life is wearing off. Stars (that were Milgrom guys) like Shivers, X Williams, Hawkins, Prince, Colombi, Livingston and more are gone. Milgrom's final group of Menard, K Smith, J Williams, Iulianelli, and Hoffman will be gone soon too. All that will be left are undeveloped transfers playing for an underachieving program. The downfall is upon us and I know exactly who is going to take them out in the playoffs. 

If anyone out there doesn't believe me, find Dameon Jones and challenge him to get on the white board and explain a variety of football concepts to you. I have 1,000 bucks that says he can't...but more importantly wont do it. Film it for proof, post the link and payment will be made lol.:lol:

Sounds like a team up here in the north, they play one coverage (cover 3) and their offense is jet sweep left, jet sweep right, read option, and a bubble screen. I got out of coaching when I saw a team like that win because I realized they just recruited a bunch of really talented kids. Pathetic. 

And that right there is the difference between Florida and Georgia. I see no team in Georgia dominating with such little coaching. 

Just now, Jags904 said:

Sounds like a team up here in the north, they play one coverage (cover 3) and their offense is jet sweep left, jet sweep right, read option, and a bubble screen. I got out of coaching when I saw a team like that win because I realized they just recruited a bunch of really talented kids. Pathetic. 

And that right there is the difference between Florida and Georgia. I see no team in Georgia dominating with such little coaching. 

Exactly!

That why Muscle Shoals (something like a 35 point underdog) took CM to the wire. Chaminade was so out-coached in that game it was laughable. 

To the people not in the SFL loop, Chaminade and Dameon Jones seem reputable. But that is far, far, far from the truth.

I never post on here but I just had to about this fraud!!

I heard through the grapevine that Jones was in some trouble as far as recruiting/test scores/grades but nothing has come of it as of now. 

Jones is what I like to call a microwave coach. Get a bunch of transfers, throw them in the microwave for a few months, and then hope what comes out is a state title contender. Sometimes you get that, sometimes you get burnt popcorn.

Then there are the oven coaches (idk how many of these there are left in the South FL). You develop the majority of your kids within your program for 3-4 years. You'll get some transfers here and there but you're not dependent on them to survive as a team. So the kids can mesh well, and the transfers that do come in should easily adjust.

I have Chaminade at 38 players on varsity total, and that's taking into account injuries.  Of the 38, I have them at 14 total linemen (O-Line, D-line and backups). 7 of the players are 280 or bigger.   I have C-M with 3 QB's.  Starter Daelin Menard, back-up Taddius Franklin and then JV QB Alexander law. 

I've heard that Coach Jones isn't the best X's and O's coach- but the guy comes from numerous winning years at Hallendale where he turned them into a top 20 team in the state for years. Now, he might be a "players coach" which is a guy that parents, players gravitate toward since he knows how to talk and inspire confidence but he's clearly winning.

It's my opinion from what I see, that Chaminade is physically stronger than they were last year. They were pushing around Deerfield Beach something that Buford and Westlake didn't accomplish. The Offensive Coordinator, Coach Tate strikes me as a good football coach that the players enjoy playing for and he seems to find ways to get his play makers involved in their offense. Statistically, they are balanced.

I'm not going to pretend to know the inner workings of South Florida football, but I look at things emotionally and my husband looks at them logically and we both concluded that outside of AHP- we see C-M blowing everybody else off the field in 3-4 TD wins on talent alone since there isn't another team that has the depth along the lines C-M does. 

Now, going into 2019 I agree- C-M needs to land 20 to 25 transfers and 6 or 7 of them need to be 3 or 4 star athletes to keep the train going. With the changes coming to the Step-Up and McKay scholarships, I don't see any private school that isn't receiving private donations for athletics to get 20 transfers in one off season.

17 hours ago, SFL SPY said:

Wow just wow so if this is what all it takes to be a championship team or coach now ..are we really playing football ?? And instilling real football attributes and methods ?

in today’s world there is no loyalty no true connection on these teams or nothing players jus transferring all over the place and the sad thing is the parents are allowing it. Make me think they are jus hoping for a future paycheck if he makes it big smh 

18 hours ago, Jags904 said:

Jax TC 

Thanks to all who commented.  If I was an underclassman at Chaminade, I would think twice about coming out for the team.  It appears that most of the kids who were freshman or sophomore JV players there 2 years ago, who are now juniors and seniors, are riding the bench while transfers are starting in front of them.  

There is a senior OL listed at 245 pounds who appears to be playing behind one of the 285+ linemen that came in as transfers.  His Hudl account lists him as being at Chaminade for his whole career.  

Once a team gets into such a cycle of dependence on transfers, seems it would be difficult to break out unless a coach is willing to take a major hit one year to do some "growing" within the program.  Outside of the juniors listed in the original post, there are only 5 juniors listed on C-M's roster, and one is a kicker. 

What is the back-up plan if the transfers don't come next year?  At a school with a winning reputation, something doesn't seem right if the sideline doesn't have a bunch of kids dressed out...even at a smaller school like Chaminade.

This is an extreme case.  This is the only FL team I have found to date that has such a large number of transfers starting.  Interestingly, C-M also has the largest amount of high-tier talent per capita than any team in the state.

On 9/12/2018 at 5:21 PM, OldSchoolLion said:
According to 3A guru Jessica, Chaminade-Madonna has 34 players on their varsity roster.  Does anyone see a potential problem coming down the pike based on the information below?

Transferred in this year
Sr RB Willie Davis-transferred from Miami Central
Sr WR John Dunmore-transferred from AH Delray
Sr WR Jordan Cash-transferred from Oxbridge
Sr WR Grantis Poole-transferred from Ely
Sr OL Justin George-transferred from Flanagan
Sr OL Yousef Abu-transferred from West Broward
Jr OL Joseph Habinowski-transferred from McArthur
Jr Multi-role Rony Bordeau-transferred from Champagnat 
Jr LB Marc Christie-transferred from West Broward
Jr DE Kijuan Reid-Jacques-transferred from Everglades
Sr DE Thomas Armstrong-transferred from West Broward
Jr K Gabriel Gomez-transferred from Lake Mary Prep
So P Carter Davis-transferred from South Plantation

Transferred in last year
Sr LB Keyshawn Fede-transferred from Miramar junior season
Sr S Ahmaud Jordan-transferred from Nova junior season
Sr OL Timothy Butler-transferred from S Plantation junior season 
Sr OL Lynden Washington-transferred from Plantation junior season
Sr DE Cameron Williams-transferred from Nova junior season
Jr CB Benjamin Onwuzo-transferred from Flanagan sophomore season
Jr DT/OL William Moise-transferred from Georgia sophomore season
Jr Deidrick Stanley-transferred from St Thomas Aquinas sophomore season

3 or more years at Chaminade-Madonna 
Sr QB Daelen Menard
Sr CB James Williams
Sr S Keontra Smith
Sr CB Tecory Couch
Sr DT Andrew Iulianelli
Sr LB Jake Hoffman

If you remember some of my prior messages, related to high volume transfers, and where I was told that there were not that many transfers and it was not a problem. 11 transfers in one year. And anyone questions why this team is a powerhouse. CM is probably far from the only team in Florida that has double digit transfers every year. IMO opinion it has totally upset the entire fabric of HS football in this state. Right now there are about 700 HS in Florida out of which there may be 40 football teams that actually win most of their games. The rest either lose most or are never competitive year in and year out. Don't think this is the vision of what a competitive HS sport is supposed to be all about.

23 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

If you remember some of my prior messages, related to high volume transfers, and where I was told that there were not that many transfers and it was not a problem. 11 transfers in one year. And anyone questions why this team is a powerhouse. CM is probably far from the only team in Florida that has double digit transfers every year. IMO opinion it has totally upset the entire fabric of HS football in this state. Right now there are about 700 HS in Florida out of which there may be 40 football teams that actually win most of their games. The rest either lose most or are never competitive year in and year out. Don't think this is the vision of what a competitive HS sport is supposed to be all about.

What facts lead you to this conclusion?  Why am I so big on facts?  Because for years I heard private schools must recruit because they win.  And now I hear that teams that win must be getting lots of transfers.  Does it happen?  Sure.  Is it fair to all of the teams out there building talent from within to make such assumptions?  No.  It's a bit like the athlete who succeeds and everyone assumes he must be taking performance-enhancing drugs.  

That's why I do the research I do.  Have spent countless hours looking at various teams, ie St Thomas, Cardinal Gibbons, University, Venice, Dr Phillips, etc etc.  This is the first team I have found that has had double digit transfers who saw regular playing time on the offense/defense in their first year after transfers.  Until I find more, I consider Chaminade an outlier. 

I never said there were not many transfers, because I don't have data on total transfers.  The data I presented previously was related to "rated" talent, ie 3-5 star kids...and the point was that relatively speaking, there are not that many sure-fire FBS-level upperclassmen who are transferring each year, ie likely less than 100.  There may be lots of marginal players who transfer, but those are not the ones who are going to single-handedly turn a team around or make a good team great. 

Only 2 of those players who transferred into Chaminade this year were "rated" players.  Apparently they needed warm bodies, because those kids started ahead of existing players.  So, there was lots of hype about Chaminade this year, but look at the results so far...far from dominating against better talent.  In fact, look at Armwood, Northwestern, Cardinal Gibbons, Dr Phillips, Cocoa, Lake Gibson, Bolles...all teams that have played in at least one final recently.  If those teams are reloading with high-level transfers every year, why are they not blasting the competition? 

I do think transfers are having an impact, but the reason so many teams are not competitive is not simply because they are losing players to the big names.  As I have stated elsewhere, kids that would have come out 30 years ago are not coming out today.   

Broward County is a unique place for hs football.  If a Broward kid wants to play for a state title, where does he go?

In Palm Beach, one has Dwyer, Atlantic and Pahokee.  In Hillsborough, one has Plant and Armwood.  In the Jacksonville area, one has Raines and emerging programs Bartram Trail and Ponte Vedra.  In Orange, one has Dr P,  Wekiva and Apopka.  In Polk, one has Lakeland.  In Brevard, one has Cocoa and emerging Viera.  In Miami-Dade, take your choice.  

In Broward...what public school would you go to?  Miramar or Deerfield Beach?  Together those schools have played in 3 title games in the past 50 years.  Amongst private schools in Broward, there are legitimate contenders in 4 different classes.  No other county in the state has a situation like this. 

Am guessing many of those kids who transferred into Chaminade over the past 2 years would likely not have started at St Thomas Aquinas or American Heritage.  So, Chaminade is an ideal situation to catch those "B+" kids looking to win a title, get regular playing time, and go to an academically solid school.  Cardinal Gibbons and University appear to be building talent from within.  Maybe this is known "on the street."  Why else did they not attract a bunch of transfers this years?    

I bet those kids that transferred into Chaminade this season studied the depth chart there to see their odds of playing this year.  And I would not be surprised if that is happening as we speak for next season.      

• 4 months later...

Thanks to Jessica for inspiring me to do some follow-up for this post.  It appears CM's transfers will top last year's numbers, with 17 already this year.  Poor South Broward, who lost 4 players to them!  4 of them (those with an asterisk before their name) are solid FBS talent(according to the "experts").  The rest...time will tell.  As is often the case, I suspect many are "B+" players who are borderline, at best.  With all they lost, I think CM needed warm bodies.  

I would not be surprised if next season, like the past one, CM is the poster child for a team built on transfers.  Why would an "average"  underclassman there want to to come out for football knowing that the current "model" is to bring in a host of upperclassman transfers?

As I have said in previous posts, this is appears to be a team in a vicious cycle.  Unless they are willing to take a hit in performance one year to allow some building from within, they will continually rely upon large numbers of upperclassman transfers to maintain their state champion caliber performance.   Are all private schools in this position?  Fortunately for them, no.  A number of them like Cardinal Gibbons, University School, and St Thomas, though they may get transfers, appear to be growing a lot of talent from within and not relying upon transfers nearly as much. 

Transferred in so far this year

• Sr QB Rile Aguila transferred from Hialeah
  • *Jr WR Bralon Brown transferred from Archbishop McCarthy
  • Jr WR Herron Eniste transferred from Miami Edison
  • Jr WR De’mon Henry transferred from South Broward
  • *Sr OL Jeremiah Mawali transferred from Boynton Beach
  • *Sr OL Jai'mari Herbert transferred from Stoneman Douglas
  • Sr OL Kristoff Pollas transferred from St Thomas Aquinas
  • Jr OL Chris Giganti transferred from North Broward Prep
  • *Sr DE Claude Larkins transferred from Piper
  • Jr DL Allen Haye transferred from Coconut Creek
  • Sr DB Quadric Bullard transferred from South Broward
  • Sr DB Quincy Bullard transferred from South Broward
  • Jr DB Tykwon Ownes transferred from South Broward
  • Jr DB Torrie Cox Jr transferred from Miramar
    Sr LB Brandon Trueba transferred from Pompano Beach
  • Jr DL Byron Hall transferred from Dr. Krop
  • Jr K Andy Borregales transferred from Booker T Washington

Transferred in for last season

• Jr RB Derek Geffrard transferred from Coconut Creek
  • Sr OL Joseph Habinowski-transferred from McArthur
  • Sr Multi-role Rony Bordeau-transferred from Champagnat 
  • Sr LB Marc Christie-transferred from West Broward
  • Sr DE Kijuan Reid-Jacques-transferred from Everglades
  • Sr K Gabriel Gomez-transferred from Lake Mary Prep
  • Jr P Carter Davis-transferred from South Plantation

3 or More Years at CM (assuming they play next season)

• Sr CB Benjamin Onwuzo
  • Sr DT/OL William Moise
  • Sr DB Deidrick Stanley
  • Sr WR Elijan Canion
  • Jr RB Thaddeus Franklin

Note: Class years listed above are for next season. 

• 3 weeks later...