Dr. Phillips at Apopka thoughts

DarterBlue2

The final score in this game was Apopka 38 Dr. Phillips 7. It could have been worse. Dr. Phillips has talent, of that there is no doubt. But the team is relatively young and is currently playing uninspiring football. Apopka did not play mistake free football turning the ball over, I believe twice, as well as recovering a couple fumbles. The team also had its fair share of penalties several of which were uncalled for. However, with that said,  the Darters played well enough to have the game well in hand by the middle of the third quarter and pulled away to win very comfortably.  

For the second week in a row, Apopka also had success passing the ball as Jackson Darlington had three touchdown passes, two of them to Fred Young, who is an athletic, reliable target. I was also impressed with the fact that Jackson in the space of the few short months since spring, has gone from an intermediate passer to a QB that now has a legitimate deep ball. He is not the athlete that his brother Zack was; however, he is a decent runner in his own right and is less injury prone. 

Observation: If this Apopka team could put a complete game together and does not suffer anymore devastating injuries, even with Davis-Hamilton done for the season, this team would beat all but a handful of teams in the state and would hold its own against many a national power. As I said last week, Lakeland did not beat Apopka in so much as Apopka beat itself. 

The entire Wekiva team was in attendance, as well as at least some of its coaching staff. That game in October may well be a prelude to the team that represents the North Bracket in the state title game. But there are many weeks of the regular season left, so we will see how it plays out. 

Next week Apopka takes on Boone at Boone. In the spring, I was impressed by the way Boone handled Olympia. But my confidence in them may have been unwarranted due to the fact that Olympia is proving to be a really bad team. Still Boone did have a blowout win against University tonight so beating them is not a certainty. 

13 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

The final score in this game was Apopka 38 Dr. Phillips 7. It could have been worse. Dr. Phillips has talent, of that there is no doubt. But the team is relatively young and is currently playing uninspiring football. Apopka did not play mistake free football turning the ball over, I believe twice, as well as recovering a couple fumbles. The team also had its fair share of penalties several of which were uncalled for. However, with that said,  the Darters played well enough to have the game well in hand by the middle of the third quarter and pulled away to win very comfortably.  

For the second week in a row, Apopka also had success passing the ball as Jackson Darlington had three touchdown passes, two of them to Fred Young, who is an athletic, reliable target. I was also impressed with the fact that Jackson in the space of the few short months since spring, has gone from an intermediate passer to a QB that now has a legitimate deep ball. He is not the athlete that his brother Zack was; however, he is a decent runner in his own right and is less injury prone. 

Observation: If this Apopka team could put a complete game together and does not suffer anymore devastating injuries, even with Davis-Hamilton done for the season, this team would beat all but a handful of teams in the state and would hold its own against many a national power. As I said last week, Lakeland did not beat Apopka in so much as Apopka beat itself. 

The entire Wekiva team was in attendance, as well as at least some of its coaching staff. That game in October may well be a prelude to the team that represents the North Bracket in the state title game. But there are many weeks of the regular season left, so we will see how it plays out. 

Next week Apopka takes on Boone at Boone. In the spring, I was impressed by the way Boone handled Olympia. But my confidence in them may have been unwarranted due to the fact that Olympia is proving to be a really bad team. Still Boone did have a blowout win against University tonight so beating them is not a certainty. 

Apopka is one of the best and well run programs in all of FL 

I had a ton of respect for them before our recent koc series and even more after those 2 games

I really hope we can make a regular season series happen, we can talk more about that when you come up here to Fletcher game :)

I might have to get a nfhs network subscription when apopka and wekiva play because i really want to see that game and it's being advertised for a live stream 

6 minutes ago, gwdrum75 said:

Not to detract from the thread....but....I think Lakeland had a little bit to do with it. 

;)

Definitely rooting for Apopka to keep winning. 

I am not saying Lakeland is not a very good team. It is. But let's examine the facts: 1. Kickoff return for a touchdown. Yes, Lakeland gets some credit. But relatively poor coverage by Apopka and a kicker that lacks range is also a big part of that score. 2. Blocked punt by Lakeland. Again Lakeland gets credit, but if Apopka had a more agile punter, it never happens. We have a punter with leg, but as an offensive lineman, he lacks quickness. Castle must have seen this on film. He took advantage of it. 3. Lakeland stops Apopka late in the game on fourth down, deep in Lakeland territory. Again give Lakeland credit. They made the stop. But had Apopka converted they would probably have scored. Those three situations account for 21 points off the bat. Lakeland won the game by 17.

On a different night, the result could easily have been very different. 

Credit, Lakeland, though. Their wily, experienced coach took advantage of what he saw on film and what he was given. You are in 7A, Apopka is in 8A. So we won't meet again this year. I, too, would like Lakeland to win out. It puts Apopka in a better points situation. We will see!

10 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I am not saying Lakeland is not a very good team. It is. But let's examine the facts: 1. Kickoff return for a touchdown. Yes, Lakeland gets some credit. But relatively poor coverage by Apopka and a kicker that lacks range is also a big part of that score. 2. Blocked punt by Lakeland. Again Lakeland gets credit, but if Apopka had a more agile punter, it never happens. We have a punter with leg, but as an offensive lineman, he lacks quickness. Castle must have seen this on film. He took advantage of it. 3. Lakeland stops Apopka late in the game on fourth down, deep in Lakeland territory. Again give Lakeland credit. They made the stop. But had Apopka converted they would probably have scored. Those three situations account for 21 points off the bat. Lakeland won the game by 17.

On a different night, the result could easily have been very different. 

Credit, Lakeland, though. Their wily, experienced coach took advantage of what he saw on film and what he was given. You are in 7A, Apopka is in 8A. So we won't meet again this year. I, too, would like Lakeland to win out. It puts Apopka in a better points situation. We will see!

Don't forget the season ending knee injury to #1 (your most explosive back in years) the week before. That cat the the real deal...no BS

6 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Don't forget the season ending knee injury to #1 (your most explosive back in years) the week before. That cat the the real deal...no BS

I know it has hurt us; no doubt. From both a personal perspective (very sorry for the kid as it hurts his recruiting some, and really hope there are no lingering effects from the injury post surgery), and as an Apopka fan. 

However, even without him, I think we could have won the Lakeland game, but for what I described. I think he would have made  big difference in that 4th down situation, as if he had gotten the ball in it, the three yards needed would have been made. But it is what it is. I just hope that the offers he has to date (they include Ohio State, Miami and North Carolina) ,don't get pulled. It would be a shame. 

DP should go 6-4 or 5-5, and will probably be a favorite in round one of the playoffs. The schedule is brutal.

Then comes Vero Beach or Osceola in all likelihood if DP makes the second round. Osceola was up on DP 7-3 in the third when starters came out in the kickoff classic.

The Apopka margin was very surprising. This team is young, but is certainly not garbage as our resident tough guy likes to refer to HS athletes. They have fought through a tough schedule that also included a 31-28 loss to a very strong West Orange team.

Looking forward to seeing their progression through the season. Maybe we will pull of an upset or two. Mainland (this week) and Wekiva (in three weeks) loom and present an opportunity.

9 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Dr Phillips and the 4 other garbage teams in the district are a combined 6-14 on the year. 

Dr Phillips is the tallest midget in the district so they will be the sacrificial lamb and waste of a playoff spot 

You represent yourself very poorly on here. The playoff assessment is incorrect, for one (see region 2), and the tone is meant to belitte high athletes.

Even when you stoop low, your assessment is incorrect. Nice.

I am not belittling anyone. I am assessing the performance of their football results. It is poor so far. 2 blowouts and another that should have been to an average team. If you were using school grades they would be at a D- so far. 

Lee and Apopka are high quality teams. If Dr Phillips would have been at least average they would have fared better than 2 blowouts. 

I don't care what they done last year. If you are judging them on 2018 their performance is hot garbage up to this point. That factors in standards and expectations. If this was Celebration High or Colonial 1-3 would be expected. Or even overachieving. But when you are Dr Pepper and you play like Mr Pibb it's gonna stick out. Lol 

3 hours ago, Pipe Dreams said:

DP should go 6-4 or 5-5, and will probably be a favorite in round one of the playoffs. The schedule is brutal.

Then comes Vero Beach or Osceola in all likelihood if DP makes the second round. Osceola was up on DP 7-3 in the third when starters came out in the kickoff classic.

The Apopka margin was very surprising. This team is young, but is certainly not garbage as our resident tough guy likes to refer to HS athletes. They have fought through a tough schedule that also included a 31-28 loss to a very strong West Orange team.

Looking forward to seeing their progression through the season. Maybe we will pull of an upset or two. Mainland (this week) and Wekiva (in three weeks) loom and present an opportunity.

Vero has to make it there first, their district is very much improved this season with SLW Centennial (4-0) putting up a lot of points and Treasure Coast (3-1) who has a win over Cocoa and played Mainland very tough. Vero is still the favorite obviously, but by no means is a foregone conclusion they win this district. 

20 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Definitely a brutal schedule.  I watched the Lee County game and they would have made many "good" Florida teams look only fair.  Dr P's defense played well. 

Based on what I have seen and heard, a number of the central FL 8A teams have had less-than-stellar performances so far this season. The Winter Park-Wekiva game was not exactly fun to watch.  Deland just lost to Mandarin and Seminole lost to Deland.  Based on Darter's comments, Apopka sounded off against Lakeland.  That said, seems as if Dr Phillips has some time to work out the kinks, which one would expect with a young team.

Peaking a team is a lost art.  And the coaches who know how to do it could care less what anyone else thinks because they are the only one who knows where their team is supposed to be on the performance curve at any point in time.  The race is not always won by the swiftest. 

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Definitely a brutal schedule.  I watched the Lee County game and they would have made many "good" Florida teams look only fair.  Dr P's defense played well. 

Based on what I have seen and heard, a number of the central FL 8A teams have had less-than-stellar performances so far this season. The Winter Park-Wekiva game was not exactly fun to watch.  Deland just lost to Mandarin and Seminole lost to Deland.  Based on Darter's comments, Apopka sounded off against Lakeland.  That said, seems as if Dr Phillips has some time to work out the kinks, which one would expect with a young team.

Peaking a team is a lost art.  And the coaches who know how to do it could care less what anyone else thinks because they are the only one who knows where their team is supposed to be on the performance curve at any point in time.  The race is not always won by the swiftest. 

If Dr Phillips played Vero in the second round of the playoffs, I would easily favor Dr Phillips