Teams off to Rough Starts

OldSchoolLion

These 3 teams are 0-4 to date

Bartow(7A) what makes this 0-4 start so shocking is the manner....Bartow has been outscored 206-20 in 4 games against Ridge, G Jenkins, Sebring, and Auburndale

Norland(6A)   in their defense, 2 losses came to IMG and Carol City..the other 2 came to Piper and Edison

S Fort Myers(7A) a regular contender in the playoffs, SFM has lost games to Cape Coral, Port Charlotte, Lehigh and Fort Myers

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

These 3 teams are 0-4 to date

Bartow(7A) what makes this 0-4 start so shocking is the manner....Bartow has been outscored 206-20 in 4 games against Ridge, G Jenkins, Sebring, and Auburndale

Norland(6A)   in their defense, 2 losses came to IMG and Carol City..the other 2 came to Piper and Edison

S Fort Myers(7A) a regular contender in the playoffs, SFM has lost games to Cape Coral, Port Charlotte, Lehigh and Fort Myers

Its hard to believe Bartow has fallen so far. They were once one of the most storied and feared programs in the state.

3 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Yes, it makes one wonder. When I first moved to Florida, Bartow was considered an elite program. 

Unfortunately, they have not been able to keep a coach around. I thought they would get some stability with Jason Butler ( a Bartow alum) about 6 years ago. But he bolted after a year and it’s been a revolving door ever since. 

Just now, gwdrum75 said:

Unfortunately, they have not been able to keep a coach around. I thought they would get some stability with Jason Butler ( a Bartow alum) about 6 years ago. But he bolted after a year and it’s been a revolving door ever since. 

It is unfortunate. I am pretty sure there is still a lot of talent in that town. The right staff could engineer a turnaround there. 

5A Clewiston, a perennial powerhouse for many years, is 1-3, including a 42-0 loss to Fort Myers, 30-10 loss to Miami Pace, and 24-20 loss to LaBelle.  They got their first win this past weekend... a 14-9 victory over Lely that required a fourth quarter rally.   They beat Lely 21-0 last year.

5A Immokalee is also off to a 1-3 start, with blowout losses to Golden Gate(a team they beat 7 straight years) and University School.  Like Clewiston, they got their first victory this past weekend.  

49 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

5A Clewiston, a perennial powerhouse for many years, is 1-3, including a 42-0 loss to Fort Myers, 30-10 loss to Miami Pace, and 24-20 loss to LaBelle.  They got their first win this past weekend... a 14-9 victory over Lely that required a fourth quarter rally.   They beat Lely 21-0 last year.

5A Immokalee is also off to a 1-3 start, with blowout losses to Golden Gate(a team they beat 7 straight years) and University School.  Like Clewiston, they got their first victory this past weekend.  

Immokalee is 0-3; play Dunbar tonight

7ABartow(0-6) got blown out by Lakeland 57-0 and has been outscored 281-26 in their 6 games.  ...still on the schedule Hardee(5-0), Kathleen(3-2), Winter Haven(4-2), Lake Wales(4-1).  Could Bartow go winless?

6ANorland(1-5) loses to Miami Central 38-14.  Talk about a brutal schedule, with losses to IMG, Carol City, Edison and Piper as well.  Norland has a couple of games up next that they should win before facing Northwestern.

5AClewiston(1-5) loses to Cape Coral Mariner 24-20.

5AImmokalee(1-5) finally gets its first win, a 55-20 victory over Cypress Lake.

6 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

7ANease(0-6)  Where is Tim Tebow when you need him?  After 3 straight state final appearances and 2 state titles between 2005-2007,  this program has struggled.  Only one winning season since 2008, and the Panthers are on track for one of their worst seasons in recent memory.

Nease only won 1 State title. 2005 Tebows senior year. Ponte Vedra High School opening up has hurt them. 

On 9/15/2018 at 1:33 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

Yes, it makes one wonder. When I first moved to Florida, Bartow was considered an elite program. 

They are still an elite program.....Well that is an elite cheerleading program!!! They have fallen this far!!! Use to be one of the constant 5A/old 3A playoff teams and now they're studs compete for cheerleading!!!!

2 hours ago, WhatsUpDoc said:

They are still an elite program.....Well that is an elite cheerleading program!!! They have fallen this far!!! Use to be one of the constant 5A/old 3A playoff teams and now they're studs compete for cheerleading!!!!

I just watched this video and obviously these guys are strong and in shape.  Kids today have choices....rolling around in the grass and having a 300 pound lineman fall on me or getting in great shape while walking around with Suzie Q straddling my neck.  For the kid of average size, the latter may be a better option...on many fronts.:D    

If football is losing kids to cheer...wow.  We better wake up and recognize we ain't the only game in town anymore.

6AOkeechobee is 0-5 and has been outscored 218-37.  In 2016, Okeechobee finished the season with 8 wins...only the sixth time the Brahmans did that since the program began in 1924.  Those six years were 1974, 1981, 1988, 1989, 2008, 2016.  They have had two opportunities to finish a season with nine wins...in 1981 and 1988...but in each case, Clewiston held them back.  They are 2-8 in FHSAA playoff games and their last win was in 1996.

7A Bartow's nightmare season continues.  Last night they got blown out by Kathleen 54-8 and their record stands at 0-8.  They have been outscored 391-40 in their 8 games.  That differential of 351 between pts scored vs pts allowed is the largest of any team in the state.  ...still on the schedule is Winter Haven(4-4) and Lake Wales(6-1).  

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

7A Bartow's nightmare season continues.  Last night they got blown out by Kathleen 54-8 and their record stands at 0-8.  They have been outscored 391-40 in their 8 games.  That differential of 351 between pts scored vs pts allowed is the largest of any team in the state.  ...still on the schedule is Winter Haven(4-4) and Lake Wales(6-1).  

Bartow has scored two games in a row now!

In all honesty,  Bartow doesn't have bad players. What I saw last week, their players are just as big, fast and capable as any other team on the schedule.  They seem to lack a game plan. Nowhere did they try and establish a strategy,  just seem to run a play without any goal of setting up the next play.

Just now, Hwy17 said:

Bartow has scored two games in a row now!

In all honesty,  Bartow doesn't have bad players. What I saw last week, their players are just as big, fast and capable as any other team on the schedule.  They seem to lack a game plan. Nowhere did they try and establish a strategy,  just seem to run a play without any goal of setting up the next play.

..so ironic to hear that...their football team lacks a game plan but their cheer squad does complex routines good enough to win big titles.

On 10/3/2018 at 10:34 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

6AOkeechobee is 0-5 and has been outscored 218-37.  In 2016, Okeechobee finished the season with 8 wins...only the sixth time the Brahmans did that since the program began in 1924.  Those six years were 1974, 1981, 1988, 1989, 2008, 2016.  They have had two opportunities to finish a season with nine wins...in 1981 and 1988...but in each case, Clewiston held them back.  They are 2-8 in FHSAA playoff games and their last win was in 1996.

I have always found this difficult to comprehend. I have been to the town a few times and it is the poster child for the type of rural program that usually (or at least in the past) fields a good, strong football team, if for no other reason that it's the only game in town and kids would not be distracted by "other activities." Today I could understand with the urban teams for reasons discussed in other threads on this board tend to dominate.

But for an Okeechobee to have never had a consistently good program begs the question, is it coaching, lack of interest or just a "poor football gene pool" in the area? 

16 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I have always found this difficult to comprehend. I have been to the town a few times and it is the poster child for the type of rural program that usually (or at least in the past) fields a good, strong football team, if for no other reason that it's the only game in town and kids would not be distracted by "other activities." Today I could understand with the urban teams for reasons discussed in other threads on this board tend to dominate.

But for an Okeechobee to have never had a consistently good program begs the question, is it coaching, lack of interest or just a "poor football gene pool" in the area? 

Draw a triangle using Arcadia, Okeechobee and Avon Park as the 3 points.  Over the past 50 years...

Desoto County High-2 playoff wins

Okeechobee-4 playoff wins

Lake Placid-0 playoff wins 

Sebring-2 playoff wins

Avon Park-won back-to-back state titles in 1987-1988 and made the state semis in 1997..only 4 playoff wins outside those years

4 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Draw a triangle using Arcadia, Okeechobee and Avon Park as the 3 points.  Over the past 50 years...

Desoto County High-2 playoff wins

Okeechobee-4 playoff wins

Lake Placid-0 playoff wins 

Sebring-2 playoff wins

Avon Park-won back-to-back state titles in 1987-1988 and made the state semis in 1997..only 4 playoff wins outside those years

Sounds like poor gene pool then. Strange ... 

47 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

13 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Sounds like poor gene pool then. Strange ... 

Y'all just don't get small town football.  Each of these programs,  and you can throw Clewiston, Labelle and Wauchula in there too, have a culture.  Often times coaches are hired and starting players are picked on how well they fit with the culture.  We all deal with it. Some off us have been blessed enough not to let it completely control everything. 

2 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Y'all just don't get small town football.  Each of these programs,  and you can throw Clewiston, Labelle and Wauchula in there too, have a culture.  Often times coaches are hired and starting players are picked on how well they fit with the culture.  We all deal with it. Some off us have been blessed enough not to let it completely control everything. 

Then I guess these programs get what they want. For me I would want my team to be as good as it can be, year in and year out. Don't get me wrong, if a kid is totally undisciplined and a distraction, I don't want him becoming a cancer to the program. But to pick your starters based on stuff like whose kid it is, or whether his daddy is a prominent booster club member, is straight up BS.