3A, Week 5

SPCjessica2004

After this week we will be at the halfway mark of the regular season. Pretty insane to think that it feels like we were talking about big week 1 and week 2 matchups. Week 5 has some doozy's on it though. Let's get to it!

UPDATED CLASS 3A RANKINGS (Going into Week 5)

#1) Chaminade-Madonna.  Lions made short work of clearly overmatched Oakland Park Northeast running out to a 42-0 lead in the 2nd quarter. Lions didn't dress the entire team.  C-M now gets ready to face their biggest test of the season so far- American Heritage Plantation.  The Patriots have caught fire recently, this will clearly be one of the biggest matchups in South Florida.

#2) Clearwater Central Catholic.  Marauders dominated class 5A Tarpon Springs 47-6. In the game, CCC's passing attack continued to impress while the running game continued to produce without superstar Jerzhan Newton.  CCC heads to St. Pete to take on an improving St. Pete Northeast team.

#3) American Heritage Delray.  If it wasn't apparent already, the Stallions are back. After completely dominating Monsignor Pace, the Stallions have announced their presence as a threat in class 3A. Stallions hit the road for a few weeks, but at this time it's hard seeing them hit any snags until a match-up with University School.  Stallions also jumped from 101 to 57 in the Maxpreps Florida rankings, one of the biggest jumps for any team in Florida this week.

#4) King's Academy. Lions rhomped Miami LaSalle last week racking up over 300 yards of offense (205 on the ground). Next up is a date with North Broward Prep.

#5) Florida High.  FSU School, coming off a loss, fell behind 10-0 to Chiles, but a strong second half helped the Seminoles eek out a win.  Seminoles play Santa Fe next.

Next up: Baldwin, Tampa Catholic, Cardinal Mooney, Orlando TFA, Benjamin.

RANDOM THOUGHTS:

Ocala Trinity Catholic looks really good. They're now 4-0 and could be heading into a late season contest with Orlando TFA undefeated. Ocala Trinity is fighting for a top 4 spot in the region right now. I would put OTC at #3 in the region right now.

Tampa Catholic demolished Melbourne Central Catholic 41-0 in Melbourne.  Tampa Catholic and Berkeley Prep both have bye weeks this week and then play each other on 9/28 at TC. Huge game for playoff positioning.

Baldwin continues to impress at 4-0. Interesting game against Union County this week.

Calvary Christian Academy knocked off Key West last week. Conchs are usually pretty good. CCA making noise in a loaded region 4.

I think Sarasota Cardinal Mooney might go into their week 10 game against CCC undefeated.

Lakeland Christian lost to Berkeley Prep last week 28-7, mostly due to the LCS QB breaking his leg the week before. LCS isn't out of the playoff hunt, but they'll need some big wins in the coming weeks.

American Heritage Delray travels to Pensacola Catholic. Delray beach to Pensacola by bus.. I would need at least 10 bathroom breaks to make that drive.

GAMES TO WATCH

American Heritage- Plantation(3-1) at Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna (3-1)

The Patriots are ranked #1 in class 5A, the Lions are ranked #1 in 3A according to the most recent sportswriter polls. AHP is also ranked #8 in Florida, while C-M is ranked #10 in Florida according to Maxpreps.  Both teams are littered with major D-1 talent. Both teams are ranked in the top 100 teams in America.  Both teams are defending state champions.

Chaminade lost to Deerfield Beach, the #1 8A team 13-10 in week 1. In the game, the Lions fell behind early and a late rally came up short.  American Heritage ran into a buzzsaw in Miami Carol City who is playing at another level right now.

Pick:  Chaminade has come up short against the states elite- either because of depth issues or injury.  In this one, there is no excuse. The Lions are as close to 100% healthy right now as they will be for the remainder of the season, playing at home and had extra time to prepare for the Patriots due to playing last Thursday and not Friday.  AH-P is going to be a tough out, but it's time for Chaminade to live up to the expectations of being an elite team and not a team stockpiled with talent that under achieves.  I think they finally get it done:

C-M 24, AHP- 21.

Orlando First Academy (2-0) vs Calvary Christian (3-1)

Orlando First Academy currently owns a 22 game regular season winning streak dating back 2016. The Royals stingy defense and Wing-T based offense has confused and bewildered opposing defenses. Calvary Christian (Clearwater) feels they're next in line to be a state power. They have coaching, players, tools and most importantly finances to be in the conversation. The program is lacking big wins though.  Last year, the Royals defeated the Warriors 26-24 in Clearwater. 

Pick:  Calvary Christian has run up the score on some pretty poor teams (Umatilla, Anclote), lost to Berkeley Prep and struggled against a good Zephrhills Christian team that was without its top 2 players.  If Calvary can go to Orlando and snap TFA's streak, that would be a huge feather in the Warriors cap- but there is a reason TFA hasn't lost a regular season game in awhile.

TFA 35, Calvary 21

OTHER GAMES I'M INTERESTED IN:

Baldwin over Union County by 10
Cardinal Mooney over Lemon Bay by 21
MCC over Somerset Academy by 42
Ft. White over Bradford by 21
Ft. Meade over Lakeland Christian by 28
Ocala Trinity Catholic over Dunnellon by 17
Benjamin over Key West by 7
Kings' Academy over North Broward Prep by 20

COMING NEXT WEEK:
I'm going to try and put together a nice  mid-season post.

24 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

Jess your starting to sound like Dan pumping up CCC opponents LOL... Tarpon is 5A but straight dumpster Juice and NE just gave up 58 to a team CCC would likely beat right now in Clearwater

He's rubbing off! Ahhhhhh!!!!!

Actually, Northeast went from scoring 0, to 26 to 40. That's improvement, right? For the record, I'm picking CCC by 40. Northeast is not a good team!

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:40 AM, SPCjessica2004 said:

After this week we will be at the halfway mark of the regular season. Pretty insane to think that it feels like we were talking about big week 1 and week 2 matchups. Week 5 has some doozy's on it though. Let's get to it!

#1) Chaminade-Madonna.  Lions made short work of clearly overmatched Oakland Park Northeast running out to a 42-0 lead in the 2nd quarter. Lions didn't dress the entire team.  C-M now gets ready to face their biggest test of the season so far- American Heritage Plantation.  The Patriots have caught fire recently, this will clearly be one of the biggest matchups in South Florida.

#2) Clearwater Central Catholic.  Marauders dominated class 5A Tarpon Springs 47-6. In the game, CCC's passing attack continued to impress while the running game continued to produce without superstar Jerzhan Newton.  CCC heads to St. Pete to take on an improving St. Pete Northeast team.

#3) American Heritage Delray.  If it wasn't apparent already, the Stallions are back. After completely dominating Monsignor Pace, the Stallions have announced their presence as a threat in class 3A. Stallions hit the road for a few weeks, but at this time it's hard seeing them hit any snags until a match-up with University School.  Stallions also jumped from 101 to 57 in the Maxpreps Florida rankings, one of the biggest jumps for any team in Florida this week.

#4) King's Academy. Lions rhomped Miami LaSalle last week racking up over 300 yards of offense (205 on the ground). Next up is a date with North Broward Prep.

#5) Florida High.  FSU School, coming off a loss, fell behind 10-0 to Chiles, but a strong second half helped the Seminoles eek out a win.  Seminoles play Santa Fe next.

RANDOM THOUGHTS:

Ocala Trinity Catholic looks really good. They're now 4-0 and could be heading into a late season contest with Orlando TFA undefeated. Ocala Trinity is fighting for a top 4 spot in the region right now. I would put OTC at #3 in the region right now.

Tampa Catholic demolished Melbourne Central Catholic 41-0 in Melbourne.  Tampa Catholic and Berkeley Prep both have bye weeks this week and then play each other on 9/28 at TC. Huge game for playoff positioning.

Baldwin continues to impress at 4-0. Interesting game against Union County this week.

Calvary Christian Academy knocked off Key West last week. Conchs are usually pretty good. CCA making noise in a loaded region 4.

I think Sarasota Cardinal Mooney might go into their week 10 game against CCC undefeated.

Lakeland Christian lost to Berkeley Prep last week 28-7, mostly due to the LCS QB breaking his leg the week before. LCS isn't out of the playoff hunt, but they'll need some big wins in the coming weeks.

American Heritage Delray travels to Pensacola Catholic. Delray beach to Pensacola by bus.. I would need at least 10 bathroom breaks to make that drive.

GAMES TO WATCH

The Patriots are ranked #1 in class 5A, the Lions are ranked #1 in 3A according to the most recent sportswriter polls. AHP is also ranked #8 in Florida, while C-M is ranked #10 in Florida according to Maxpreps.  Both teams are littered with major D-1 talent. Both teams are ranked in the top 100 teams in America.  Both teams are defending state champions.

Chaminade lost to Deerfield Beach, the #1 8A team 13-10 in week 1. In the game, the Lions fell behind early and a late rally came up short.  American Heritage ran into a buzzsaw in Miami Carol City who is playing at another level right now.

Pick:  Chaminade has come up short against the states elite- either because of depth issues or injury.  In this one, there is no excuse. The Lions are as close to 100% healthy right now as they will be for the remainder of the season, playing at home and had extra time to prepare for the Patriots due to playing last Thursday and not Friday.  AH-P is going to be a tough out, but it's time for Chaminade to live up to the expectations of being an elite team and not a team stockpiled with talent that under achieves.  I think they finally get it done:

C-M 24, AHP- 21.

Orlando First Academy currently owns a 22 game regular season winning streak dating back 2016. The Royals stingy defense and Wing-T based offense has confused and bewildered opposing defenses. Calvary Christian (Clearwater) feels they're next in line to be a state power. They have coaching, players, tools and most importantly finances to be in the conversation. The program is lacking big wins though.  Last year, the Royals defeated the Warriors 26-24 in Clearwater. 

Pick:  Calvary Christian has run up the score on some pretty poor teams (Umatilla, Anclote), lost to Berkeley Prep and struggled against a good Zephrhills Christian team that was without its top 2 players.  If Calvary can go to Orlando and snap TFA's streak, that would be a huge feather in the Warriors cap- but there is a reason TFA hasn't lost a regular season game in awhile.

TFA 35, Calvary 21

COMING NEXT WEEK:

I have American Heritage Plantation beating Chaminade by 2 TDs but they will probably win by more.

2 hours ago, SFL SPY said:

I have American Heritage Plantation beating Chaminade by 2 TDs but they will probably win by more.

Spy,

You're not the first person to say this. The computer polls (Joe Pinkos, Lazl) etc both pick AH-P by 21 or more.  Maxpreps has AH-P.   A lot of respected posters are picking AH-P to invade Chaminade and come out with a win.  I believe the Miami Herald is picking C-M and that's the only entity outside of myself picking the Lions. Not sure what Sun Sentinel is picking.

I picked Chaminade on the strength of their defense, but AH-P really hit the accelerator since coming back from NJ.

Time to look at the Polls as I do each week:

AP Sportswriter Poll:
1 CHAMINADE-MADONNA (11)
2 Clearwater Central Catholic (1)
2 Delray American Heritage (1)
4 The King's Academy
5 Tallahassee Florida High
HONORABLE MENTION: Baldwin, Cardinal Mooney, Benjamin School, St. Joseph Academy

For the second week in a row- I'm totally okay with the poll.  I gave CCC a super, tiny nod over American Heritage Delray since Tampa Catholic went on to destroy MCC 41-0, strengthening the Marauders 20 point win in Tampa the week prior.

King's and Florida High round out the top 5.  In the Honorable Mention area, I'm fine with all of the schools. They're all undefeated right now and if King's or Florida High slip up, one of them will end up replacing them.  

JOE PINKOS POWER POLL
The first Pinkos Power Poll was released. This is a computer poll that's one of the more famous polls. Its accuracy is just a touch over 80%. As is the case with most computer polls, it doesn't take into account rivalries and the human element. 

#1) Clearwater Central Catholic 181.4
#2) American Heritage Delray 180.0
#3) Chaminade-Madonna 178.3
#4) Benjamin School 174.5
#5) Cardinal Mooney 173.7

CCC is ranked #1 on the strength of their win over Tampa Catholic since has been a battering ram against everybody else. AHD has some high quality wins (Belen Jesuit, Pace), but the computer polls aren't big on the win vs Holy Trinity.

Chaminade is at #3 despite playing the toughest schedule mostly due to the fact that they didn't meet the spread against Muscle Shoals and Muscle Shoals has gone on to lose another game (granted it was against a top team in Alabama) the computer poll is also penalizing them for playing Blanche Ely and Northeast.

Benjamin school is having a fantastic season thus far. Cardinal Mooney is quickly turning into a solid program again. Cardinal Mooney is benefitting from Bishop Verot having a strong season. Big games remaining against Calvary, Southeast, Avon Park and CCC.

LAZL INDEX
#1) Clearwater Central Catholic
#2) American Heritage Delray
#3) Cardinal Mooney
#4) Baldwin
#5) Tampa Catholic

I think it might be best to give Lazl Index another 2 weeks. Any poll without Chaminade-Madonna is suspect in my opinion. Pinkos and Lazl have the same top 2 and in the same order, but after that they have Mooney, Baldwin and TC.

I'm actually okay with Mooney, Baldwin and TC in the top 5- but not having Chaminade is what is throwing me off. Like the Pinkos poll, I'm thinking that Chaminade is being penalized for playing 2 bad football teams, but losing to Deerfield Beach by 3 points should get Chaminade into the top 3 by itself.

Regardless, I enjoy the Lazl index and will check back in on it often- but I'm thinking it needs another week or two of data.

CALPREPS
#1) Chaminade-Madonna
#2) Clearwater Central Catholic
#3) American Heritage Delray
#4) Florida High
#5) Tampa Catholic
#6) Cardinal Mooney
#7) Baldwin
#8) Trinity Catholic
#9) Berkeley Prep

A lot of individuals use Calpreps as I'm assuming their rankings have proven to be the most accurate. It's another computer poll, but it seems to be pulling information from Maxpreps. I don't have a problem with the top 5.

In this poll, C-M is being rewarded more for losing to Deerfield than any other teams wins. I think that's how it should be. CCC and AHD's schedules are even, but the Marauders win over TC is giving them the nod over AHD's win vs Pace.    Tampa Catholic/Mooney are in a fight for 5th.

If anything- this shows that rankings are subjective. There are polls with C-M or CCC being ranked #1, AHD either close to being #1 or tied for #2.  The remainder of the top 5 will change depending on what you look at.

Phww! That's a lot of polls. I probably won't look at this many going forward but I hope you enjoyed the look!

10 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

AP Sportswriter Poll:
1 CHAMINADE-MADONNA (11)
4 The King's Academy
HONORABLE MENTION: Baldwin, Cardinal Mooney, Benjamin School, St. Joseph Academy

For the second week in a row- I'm totally okay with the poll.  I gave CCC a super, tiny nod over American Heritage Delray since Tampa Catholic went on to destroy MCC 41-0, strengthening the Marauders 20 point win in Tampa the week prior.

King's and Florida High round out the top 5.  In the Honorable Mention area, I'm fine with all of the schools. They're all undefeated right now and if King's or Florida High slip up, one of them will end up replacing them.  

JOE PINKOS POWER POLL
The first Pinkos Power Poll was released. This is a computer poll that's one of the more famous polls. Its accuracy is just a touch over 80%. As is the case with most computer polls, it doesn't take into account rivalries and the human element. 

CCC is ranked #1 on the strength of their win over Tampa Catholic since has been a battering ram against everybody else. AHD has some high quality wins (Belen Jesuit, Pace), but the computer polls aren't big on the win vs Holy Trinity.

Chaminade is at #3 despite playing the toughest schedule mostly due to the fact that they didn't meet the spread against Muscle Shoals and Muscle Shoals has gone on to lose another game (granted it was against a top team in Alabama) the computer poll is also penalizing them for playing Blanche Ely and Northeast.

Benjamin school is having a fantastic season thus far. Cardinal Mooney is quickly turning into a solid program again. Cardinal Mooney is benefitting from Bishop Verot having a strong season. Big games remaining against Calvary, Southeast, Avon Park and CCC.

LAZL INDEX
#3) Cardinal Mooney
#4) Baldwin
#5) Tampa Catholic

I think it might be best to give Lazl Index another 2 weeks. Any poll without Chaminade-Madonna is suspect in my opinion. Pinkos and Lazl have the same top 2 and in the same order, but after that they have Mooney, Baldwin and TC.

I'm actually okay with Mooney, Baldwin and TC in the top 5- but not having Chaminade is what is throwing me off. Like the Pinkos poll, I'm thinking that Chaminade is being penalized for playing 2 bad football teams, but losing to Deerfield Beach by 3 points should get Chaminade into the top 3 by itself.

Regardless, I enjoy the Lazl index and will check back in on it often- but I'm thinking it needs another week or two of data.

CALPREPS
#1) Chaminade-Madonna
#4) Florida High
#5) Tampa Catholic
#6) Cardinal Mooney
#7) Baldwin
#8) Trinity Catholic
#9) Berkeley Prep

A lot of individuals use Calpreps as I'm assuming their rankings have proven to be the most accurate. It's another computer poll, but it seems to be pulling information from Maxpreps. I don't have a problem with the top 5.

In this poll, C-M is being rewarded more for losing to Deerfield than any other teams wins. I think that's how it should be. CCC and AHD's schedules are even, but the Marauders win over TC is giving them the nod over AHD's win vs Pace.    Tampa Catholic/Mooney are in a fight for 5th.

If anything- this shows that rankings are subjective. There are polls with C-M or CCC being ranked #1, AHD either close to being #1 or tied for #2.  The remainder of the top 5 will change depending on what you look at.

Phww! That's a lot of polls. I probably won't look at this many going forward but I hope you enjoyed the look!

I agree that lazindex probably needs a week or 2 and then it will be on track

It's interesting that Fort White has received no consideration in any poll after winning last 2 games to rebound from a week 1 loss @ Suwannee  

6 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

AP Sportswriter Poll:
1 CHAMINADE-MADONNA (11)
4 The King's Academy

JOE PINKOS POWER POLL

LAZL INDEX
#3) Cardinal Mooney
#4) Baldwin
#5) Tampa Catholic

CALPREPS
#1) Chaminade-Madonna
#4) Florida High
#5) Tampa Catholic
#6) Cardinal Mooney
#7) Baldwin
#8) Trinity Catholic
#9) Berkeley Prep

Amazing job again Jessica and Co!!

We are lucky to have you!!

22 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I agree that lazindex probably needs a week or 2 and then it will be on track

It's interesting that Fort White has received no consideration in any poll after winning last 2 games to rebound from a week 1 loss @ Suwannee  

I'm not, still early tho we should be 9-1 going into playoffs. Don't see anyone on the schedule cept maybe Dixie County being even a game.

5 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Not that it makes a difference in the 3A race, but it appears that Chaminade got literally run over tonight by a big AHP line and a bruising rb.  Two rb's each gained 100 or more yards.  They simply do not have the size on their D.  

This is good information.  Chaminade has nothing to be ashamed of, they played hard and gave AH-P their best punch.

Chaminade is at 3-2, which is the exact same record they had last year at this time but unlike last year they were not blown out in their losses. They lost to the #1 team in 8A by 3 and the defending class 5A state champions.  On paper, they're probably at where they should be- from here on out they'll be favored by a hefty margin in every game they play.

On 9/17/2018 at 11:40 AM, SPCjessica2004 said:

RANDOM THOUGHTS:

GAMES TO WATCH

C-M 24, AHP- 21.

TFA 35, Calvary 21

COMING NEXT WEEK:

Jessica, message me before you put yout next report out or drop me an email (preferred). 

On 9/20/2018 at 7:53 AM, FORTWHITEFAN76 said:

I'm not, still early tho we should be 9-1 going into playoffs. Don't see anyone on the schedule cept maybe Dixie County being even a game.

Welll, that score last night was a bit surprising for Fort White given how Bradford has struggled so far this season. Hard to consider Fort White for rankings now given the fact Santa Fe has not been a high quality team as of late which is a commone opponent for Fort White (W) and Bradford (L)

4 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

This is good information.  Chaminade has nothing to be ashamed of, they played hard and gave AH-P their best punch.

Chaminade is at 3-2, which is the exact same record they had last year at this time but unlike last year they were not blown out in their losses. They lost to the #1 team in 8A by 3 and the defending class 5A state champions.  On paper, they're probably at where they should be- from here on out they'll be favored by a hefty margin in every game they play.

...not at all.  Chaminade's a fine team.  The "problem" is that some all-classification pollsters build them up and create unrealistic expectations for the kids.  Without all of the poll hype, some would we saying "wow, a 3A team hung with an 8A school." 

6 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

I disagree. USchool should be undefeated and will be the favorite in that game.

Also, Booker T will not be a hefty underdog and should keep the game close.

Just my opinion.

38 minutes ago, SFL SPY said:

Just my opinion.

University's line does not look small to me.  And McIntosh is a big back by FL standards.  I think Chaminade is going to have their hands full.

https://247sports.com/Video/RB-Kenny-McIntosh-Shows-Off-Talents-in-Blowout-Win-8648571/?View=Full

36 minutes ago, SFL SPY said:

Just my opinion.

Spy,

Your opinion isn't just noted, but highly respected!  I need to see a bit more from Uschool before giving them the nod. I don't see anybody of Deerfield or AH-P's caliber on the regular season schedule. I'm aware AH-P defeated Uschool in the KoC, but as a rule I don't look at KoC results. Now, I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. I'll look into Uschool a bit more. When respected posters drop 411, I owe it to them to look into it.

Now, it's my understanding that Chaminade was banged up last night- but, I don't see any of those as lingering injuries. They have a good but not great Piper team this week before having a week off. I can see Piper hanging around for a half, but Piper's car goes is a 4 speed automatic that hums along, Chaminade is a 6 speed manual with a nasty 3rd gear.

Chaminade vs Booker T. will be a good game but Chaminade just has a little more and I think Chaminade is catching Booker T. at the right time.  Chaminade has the week off prior to play the Tornadoes while Booker T. is playing a tough Coral Gables team.

4 hours ago, Joshua Wilson said:

Welll, that score last night was a bit surprising for Fort White given how Bradford has struggled so far this season. Hard to consider Fort White for rankings now given the fact Santa Fe has not been a high quality team as of late which is a commone opponent for Fort White (W) and Bradford (L)

Your right and not to make excuse we had 6 TO's last night along with 6 injured starters  2 of 3 RB's 2 LB 2 WR watching from sideline, in both losses this year 8 INT's 4 fumbles. Also Roster went from 30 to 22 now with the injuries.

On 9/22/2018 at 1:55 PM, SPCjessica2004 said:

Spy,

Your opinion isn't just noted, but highly respected!  I need to see a bit more from Uschool before giving them the nod. I don't see anybody of Deerfield or AH-P's caliber on the regular season schedule. I'm aware AH-P defeated Uschool in the KoC, but as a rule I don't look at KoC results. Now, I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. I'll look into Uschool a bit more. When respected posters drop 411, I owe it to them to look into it.

Now, it's my understanding that Chaminade was banged up last night- but, I don't see any of those as lingering injuries. They have a good but not great Piper team this week before having a week off. I can see Piper hanging around for a half, but Piper's car goes is a 4 speed automatic that hums along, Chaminade is a 6 speed manual with a nasty 3rd gear.

Chaminade vs Booker T. will be a good game but Chaminade just has a little more and I think Chaminade is catching Booker T. at the right time.  Chaminade has the week off prior to play the Tornadoes while Booker T. is playing a tough Coral Gables team.

...saw in an article that Franklin was top rusher for Chaminade against AHP....and not the young man who transferred from Central, who I expected to be their big rusher this year.  Didn't see a box score and didn't see the game, so don't know the story.  Just thought it interesting.  As I mentioned in another post, Shivers always seemed good for 1 big TD run last year, regardless of opponent.  It was like a 7-point handicap for the LIons.