Where is LazIndex? You got some 'splainin to do!!!

nolebull813

Gotta love NoleBull. My rankings have STA at 13 and Bloomingdale at 15. Must be something wrong with him. I can explain my rankings until I’m chemo’d out but he does not get the concept of Retrodictive Rankings and Schedule Connectivity. It is Interesting though that Joe Pinkos also has Bloomingdale in the Top 20. So that tells me I’m in the ballpark thru this point in the season. Also, for what it’s worth, there are 228 in state games this week and Joe and I have the same selections for 214 of them. More importantly, I’m on the mend and ready for some football and ranking debates. 

10 minutes ago, LAZ said:

Gotta love NoleBull. My rankings have STA at 13 and Bloomingdale at 15. Must be something wrong with him. I can explain my rankings until I’m chemo’d out but he does not get the concept of Retrodictive Rankings and Schedule Connectivity. It is Interesting though that Joe Pinkos also has Bloomingdale in the Top 20. So that tells me I’m in the ballpark thru this point in the season. Also, for what it’s worth, there are 228 in state games this week and Joe and I have the same selections for 214 of them. More importantly, I’m on the mend and ready for some football and ranking debates. 

It is impossible for Bloomingdale to be anywhere near STA. Doesn't compute.  

And STA at 13 is asinine. That is crazy. There are not 12 teams better than them right now. 

Computers are garbage in, garbage out. 

12 hours ago, badbird said:

nolebull just likes to bitch about rankings.  Last year he bitched about Wekiva and Winter Park being in mine early in the season now he's bitching WP isn't high enough.  He does have a great point about Bloomingdale but its a computer ranking.  Also Laz doesn't include out of state teams which is currently hurting STA.  Also look at IMG at 11.  Only one team in Florida can beat IMG and that's Columbia.  

I didn't even realize oos games weren't included which probably explains why sta is so low because the only good team they have played so far is dematha which by the laz index didn't count

In other words sta will probably go up in rankings whether they win or lose against Miami Central on Friday because SOS will take a huge boost After that game which will help their ranking

12 hours ago, badbird said:

nolebull just likes to bitch about rankings.  Last year he bitched about Wekiva and Winter Park being in mine early in the season now he's bitching WP isn't high enough.  He does have a great point about Bloomingdale but its a computer ranking.  Also Laz doesn't include out of state teams which is currently hurting STA.  Also look at IMG at 11.  Only one team in Florida can beat IMG and that's Columbia.  

I didn't bitch. I asked you what has Winter Park and Wekiva done to warrant the rankings you gave them. Usually teams earn their ranking. At that time neither team had done nothing in their entire school history to that point. So I was skeptical about some high ranking for doing nothing. 

After the fact it was a good call. I didn't know each team stacked the rosters with tons of transfers. So I didn't realize they could rise that fast after being so mediocre for so long. 

12 hours ago, Joshua Wilson said:

Just talked to LAZ everyone... he will be getting back on track soon, so NoleBull, please chill out!

What do you mean chill? All I wanted was an explanation of why the rankings were so bad. At the time I posted the thread Bloomingdale was ahead of STA. 

Anyone with half a brain would know that is preposterous and asinine. Anyone who has ever followed football at any level would know that would never happen in a million years. It was such a glaring error, I wanted to know what the explanation was to have came up with this result. 

Because any computer algorithm that would process that is defective and needs a complete overhaul 

1 minute ago, nolebull813 said:

What do you mean chill? All I wanted was an explanation of why the rankings were so bad. At the time I posted the thread Bloomingdale was ahead of STA. 

Anyone with half a brain would know that is preposterous and asinine. Anyone who has ever followed football at any level would know that would never happen in a million years. It was such a glaring error, I wanted to know what the explanation was to have came up with this result. 

Because any computer algorithm that would process that is defective and needs a complete overhaul 

Yeah and within a short time period a extra week of data was added and STA jumped ahead of them so it is very possible that the rankings are correcting itself

Nolebull you know damn well that computer algorithms are not accurate early in the season because without data the numbers are a complete mess 

That's why they always say computer polls shouldn't be released until halfway through the year 

50 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah and within a short time period a extra week of data was added and STA jumped ahead of them so it is very possible that the rankings are correcting itself

Nolebull you know damn well that computer algorithms are not accurate early in the season because without data the numbers are a complete mess 

That's why they always say computer polls shouldn't be released until halfway through the year 

So then if that is true, and early season computer rankings are hot garbage then it might be best to keep them out of the public eye until mid season. Lol 

A lot of ranking systems do exactly that. Peter Wolfe formerly part of the BCS equation used to wait until October before publishing his rankings. Even the current college playoff committee doesn’t release their first top 25 poll until several weeks into the season. I could wait but the majority of the feedback I get (other than yours) is that people like to see how the season evolves. We both know that Bloomingdale doesn’t belong where the computer has them but they are off to a tremendous start and it will be interesting to see where they end up. 

1 hour ago, LAZ said:

A lot of ranking systems do exactly that. Peter Wolfe formerly part of the BCS equation used to wait until October before publishing his rankings. Even the current college playoff committee doesn’t release their first top 25 poll until several weeks into the season. I could wait but the majority of the feedback I get (other than yours) is that people like to see how the season evolves. We both know that Bloomingdale doesn’t belong where the computer has them but they are off to a tremendous start and it will be interesting to see where they end up. 

Yeah but why would the computer have Bloomingdale ahead of STA at any point for any reason? 

That means the info inputed is flawed from the beginning 

I can explain. When I first began doing the rankings years ago, I kept a “stabilizer” in for half the season which prevented exactly the problem you’re bitching about. However, I got a lot of flack about that because every year some perennial powerhouses would have down years and the computer had a tendency to rank them way too high until half way through the season. As a result, I removed the stabilizer and each team now basically starts from scratch. So now at the beginning of the year, the computer doesn’t know if Interlachen is better than Miami Central. It simply adjusts as the season plays out. I suggest you stick to “polls” because no matter what, my computer will not make you happy until playoff time....if that. 

10 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I didn't even realize oos games weren't included which probably explains why sta is so low because the only good team they have played so far is dematha which by the laz index didn't count

In other words sta will probably go up in rankings whether they win or lose against Miami Central on Friday because SOS will take a huge boost After that game which will help their ranking

Laz does not have enough connectivity points to properly include out of state teams since they, by definition, don't play enough Florida teams over the space of the most recent seasons. 

5 hours ago, LAZ said:

I don’t know, Bloomingdale’s looking pretty darn good. 

Just because you don't have history on your side does not mean you can't have a good football team. 

What's really impressive about their record is they have yet to score less than 30 and have not given up a single point against teams, which while not murder's row, are not all sisters of the poor. 

• 1 month later...