A Struggling Program in Each Class

OldSchoolLion

Am not sharing this to belittle these programs...just to show that some teams out there are really struggling...even some who have had success in the past.  All of them are off to 0-3 or 0-4 starts.

1A Hamilton County-has been outscored 14-188; has won 1 of its past 15 games; played in the 2014 1A final

2A Village Academy-has been outscored 0-203

3A St John Paul II Academy-has been outscored 46-172; has won 1 of its past 12 games 

4A Umatilla-has been outscored 20-200; has won one of its last 23 games; had winning seasons in 2011, 2012 and 2014 

5A Brooksville Central-has been outscored 12-181; has never won a playoff game; had winning seasons 2009--2012

6A Hialeah Miami-Lakes-has been outscored 6-194; has lost 20 of its last 22 games; won a state title in 1975, made the 6A semis in 1996 and had reasonable between then and 2010

7A Westland(Hialeah)-has been outscored 0-163; just broke the state record for longest losing streak

8A Varela-has been outscored 60-242; has lost its last 14 games; has never won a playoff game; have made the playoffs a number of times since 2000

Wonder if there is a correlation between these schools. Bad coaching. Lack of studs. Bad feeder system. Bad demographics. I know in Miami there is a lot of Spanish areas that are really bad at football. 

For all the quality teams in South Florida they do have a ton of garbage teams. Teams that shouldn't even be playing football. 

15 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Wonder if there is a correlation between these schools. Bad coaching. Lack of studs. Bad feeder system. Bad demographics. I know in Miami there is a lot of Spanish areas that are really bad at football. 

For all the quality teams in South Florida they do have a ton of garbage teams. Teams that shouldn't even be playing football. 

great question, nolebull. ...some guesses 

The student populations at HML, Westland and Varela are all predominately Hispanic.  My perception is that such schools do not typically excel at football. 

Umatilla is in Lake County, and seems like all of their schools, ie Tavares, Leesburg, East Ridge, South Lake, Eustis, Lake Minneola have been doing fair, at best. So, maybe they just have a limited pool of talent that gets "diluted."  Hernando County has also been a place where football has lagged.  

Hamilton County is rural, so maybe it is the same challenge other rural, north FL counties are experiencing.

Village Academy is in Palm Beach county and opened in 2000.  Might be struggling like certain other newer schools trying to get traction in a metro, football hotbed.

14 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The student populations at HML, Westland and Varela are all predominately Hispanic.  My perception is that such schools do not typically excel at football

Village Academy is in Palm Beach county and opened in 2000.  Might be struggling like certain other newer schools trying to get traction in a metro, football hotbed.

Village Academy’s issue is being a small small most of their talent transfers to Atlantic. They’ve had also had a revolving door of coaches the last 3 years after Hanna stepped down.

HML’s population isn’t as Hispanic as both Westland or Varela. I watched their kickoff classic and they had a decent amount of athletes. I believe the challenge is the district and kids knowing regardless the talent gap is too large.

Westland is almost all Cuban kids with no prior football experience. In a Miami Herald article last year the new head coach (4th in 4 years) talked about having to teach kids how to wear shoulder pads. Then the program was growing from having 10-15 kids at practice under previous coaches.

7 minutes ago, Nolefan23 said:

Village Academy’s issue is being a small small most of their talent transfers to Atlantic. They’ve had also had a revolving door of coaches the last 3 years after Hanna stepped down.

HML’s population isn’t as Hispanic as both Westland or Varela. I watched their kickoff classic and they had a decent amount of athletes. I believe the challenge is the district and kids knowing regardless the talent gap is too large.

Westland is almost all Cuban kids with no prior football experience. In a Miami Herald article last year the new head coach (4th in 4 years) talked about having to teach kids how to wear shoulder pads. Then the program was growing from having 10-15 kids at practice under previous coaches.

Why would USchool even schedule Village? How does that get you better?

Keep in mind Village cancelled on USchool last season for lack of players. And then you go and schedule them again and beat them by 79 points!?!

Still can't figure this one out.

1 hour ago, SFL SPY said:

Why would USchool even schedule Village? How does that get you better?

Keep in mind Village cancelled on USchool last season for lack of players. And then you go and schedule them again and beat them by 79 points!?!

Still can't figure this one out.

Yeah I thought that was crazy, but I believe since they committed to a 2 year contract Village/University didn’t have a choice.

I'm from the Orlando area and one team that has fallen off is SCHS. They've never been very strong, but for a few years they were scoring in bunches (close to 40 a game) and won the District (7A-5) two or three years ago. They won 4 games last year and are 0-3 and outscored 133-41. Looks like they are falling back down to earth after a few good years. 

2 hours ago, Nolefan23 said:

Westland ended their streak tonight against ATM. Huge step down in competition from Doral to ATM but amazing to go from 86-0 to 6-0.

...prior to the game, each team was 0-3.   Westland had been outscored 163-0 and Mourning had been outscored 139-0.  Westland was 0-10 last year and Mourning was 1-9...their only win coming against Westland.

I guess this means we'll be seeing them play in Disney World next year against a West Coast team.:rolleyes: