Gunnar Smith

DarterBlue2

So, instead of making the Apopka game last night, I went to Lyman vs Lake Mary. The decision was driven by two factors:

1. For the past seven weeks, I have been working on a project that's been brutal in terms of the hours, particularly the past two weeks. It so happens that the project is less than ten minutes away from Lyman High School, so it was convenient to just go there after leaving work at 6:15 rather than make the long drive from there to Boone.

2. After Bad Bird mentioned that Lake Mary was starting a true Freshman QB, I had taken a look at Gunnar's Huddle highlights and I liked what I saw.

Well, while Lake Mary overall struggled to beat Lyman, and did not impress me very much, Gunnar certainly did. This kid seems to have been groomed from he was in the womb to be a QB. How else can you explain his first name? As a true freshman, he is tall and slender, but has a rocket arm and a very quick release. What impressed me most about him, though, was not just his arm strength, but his ability to vary his throws. The kid knows when to toss the nice easy, floater, is able to to put the ball into positions where only his receiver can get it, he just seems to know stuff that many a senior QB does not. 

He has been obviously well schooled, but clearly has been an outstanding student. Assuming, he puts on 20 pounds or more, grows another inch or two, and continues to make normal improvement, this kid is destined to be a four or five star, pro-style QB recruit, with multiple offers, including many from the major college powers.