Playoff Points First Update coming today

Joshua Wilson

The first playoff points updates will be coming out today around 2 PM.

I ask you all DO NOT share the links on here from the FHSAA when they do because some of it might because some confusion based upon how they were set up on the weekly releases last year.

I will be having them broken down that way you all can see easily who would slide in where on terms of where things stand at in districts and give you all thoughts on what I feel could play out here in the coming weeks.

Alright,  I am heading off to serve on the FHSAA Media Advisory Committee  -- the first one ever --- a lot to discuss today. Going to be fun!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Joshua Wilson said:

Thank goodness I did not rush to post... there were some errors and the FHSAA just corrected them. I have the updated numbers now so I am working on making sure I have my info correct before I post any breakdowns.

why so many errors?  how many errors were not reported by schools?

I know I submitted errors to Mr. Beasley (mostly teams not having their bonus points for beating a playoff team). I did find some teams were they had the wrong record (2-2 vs 3-1). Needless to say, I am only looking at one region in one classification. I wonder if there is somebody like me looking at every region or a coach who is looking at every team in their region. If they are only focused on their own team, somebody might pass them.

I think it is good that the FHSAA releases them this early as it allows people to pick and poke at the numbers early on and make corrections as we go. Also remember like all point standings (MaxPreps, LazIndex, Pinkos). The end result is always better than the beta in the middle of the season. No team makes the playoff because of Week 5 rankings, they make them for Week 11 rankings.  

54 minutes ago, badbird said:

but if scores/records are getting entered wrong that's a major problem.  If it is happening week 5 it will happen week 11 and those teams out of the playoffs wont care but it could hurt another team

Right, but it is better to fix it now. At some point it is up to the coaches to help find people who pour over this stuff to be a check and balance on the FHSAA. I am sure there is some accountant or computer booster/dad/teacher at every school who can run a simple excel sheet for their school's region. For the region I check, there are nearly 100 scores I need (usually a lot less due to overlap in the games). Scorestream has made it so much easier to find the scores (assuming it is right). MaxPreps and Twitter fill in the rest of the scores that ScoreStream doesn't have. It takes me maybe 35 minutes on Saturday morning to get it done now.

Next season when all of the schedules change, it will take me a lot of time on the front end (probably 2-3 hours). 

In my e-mails to the FHSAA about errors, I always tell them what schools will be affected by the change and where the error is specifically located (lack of playoff points, wrong record, etc).  

1 hour ago, badbird said:

is that an error or is that the point system we have 

Its an error.  A win, even over a category 1 team is more points than a loss.

For what its worth,  I take issue with awarding points for a loss at all. Should be awarded points for wins only. I know, its suppose to award for strength of schedule but really take a step back and consider this, Gibbs just got their butts kicked by Lakeland.  Yeah the scheduled a tough team. Only thing it proved to me is they got no business playing Lakeland. Why should that loss be worth more points than any other loss?

2 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Its an error.  A win, even over a category 1 team is more points than a loss.

For what its worth,  I take issue with awarding points for a loss at all. Should be awarded points for wins only. I know, its suppose to award for strength of schedule but really take a step back and consider this, Gibbs just got their butts kicked by Lakeland.  Yeah the scheduled a tough team. Only thing it proved to me is they got no business playing Lakeland. Why should that loss be worth more points than any other loss?

It's because if you do that then it would reduce the quality games and teams would try to game the system by playing weakest teams they can find 

40 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It's because if you do that then it would reduce the quality games and teams would try to game the system by playing weakest teams they can find 

The system can still be gamed. Just schedule slightly above average teams you know you can beat. That is of course they are dumb enough to agree and play you. 

9 hours ago, gwdrum75 said:

And Bartow gets more points for losing to Lakeland than Lakeland would get for beating Bartow. With a Lakeland win, Bartow would get 38, Lakeland 35. 

Exactly!  Its my understanding that whoever designed this system was wanting to award a based on strength of schedule but I feel it fails to achieve this goal.  Secondly I feel that it awards "moral victories".  Sorry but in my opinion a loss is a loss.  Even bad teams sometimes play a good game and hold a powerhouse to a close score.  Should they still get points for "moral victories?"  I don't think so.

27 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Exactly!  Its my understanding that whoever designed this system was wanting to award a based on strength of schedule but I feel it fails to achieve this goal.  Secondly I feel that it awards "moral victories".  Sorry but in my opinion a loss is a loss.  Even bad teams sometimes play a good game and hold a powerhouse to a close score.  Should they still get points for "moral victories?"  I don't think so.

As I’ve stated before they should do it how Dc does it put all the Catholics and private schools and one district.

put all the public school power houses in another district.

and put all the other schools in districts aligned through 5-8A

30 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

If that's the case Columbia should stop playing Trinity Christian and Madison County and Bolles and instead go play Bronson, Bell and Hamilton County if we can somehow get them to play us so we don't risk losing in any game

They go to a system where only wins count then you will see teams gaming the system and getting easy wins so they don't risk missing playoffs 

31 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If that's the case Columbia should stop playing Trinity Christian and Madison County and Bolles and instead go play Bronson, Bell and Hamilton County if we can somehow get them to play us so we don't risk losing in any game

They go to a system where only wins count then you will see teams gaming the system and getting easy wins so they don't risk missing playoffs 

Which is another reason why when I step back for a minute I feel that we should keep districts as a way to automatically qualify for the playoffs and only use points for seeding and at large playoff spots.  Win your district you're in, no matter what.  A while back I was in favor of open scheduling like in the smaller classes but now that I thought on it some I have changed my mind.  In the smaller classes, there are fewer teams, and spread out more geographically, so it makes sense for them, but in the upper classes, I say keep the districts.  

1 hour ago, gwdrum75 said:

The crappy part for Lakeland is that they have no choice but to schedule and play this game. Bartow is a district game.

When Hardee added Bartow to the schedule it was supposed to be an upgrade.  We had Frostproof on the schedule and they would be worth more points to us, but I understand they will not play us anymore.