78 Florida High School Rivalries

OldSchoolLion

INTRACOUNTY RIVALRIES

Alachua

Gainesville vs Buchholz    10/5/18     Buchholz holds the edge in the series 26-21, but Gainesville has won 8 of the past 10 meetings, including the last two games.

Brevard

Cocoa vs Rockledge(The BBQ Bowl)     11/2/18   Began in 1971.  Cocoa leads the series 23-17.  Last year, Rockledge broke a 12-game losing streak in the series and won 20-17 in OT.

Cocoa vs Astronaut      no game this year     Cocoa won last meeting 48-6 in 2016.   Astronaut leads the series 21-17.

Cocoa vs Merritt Island-temporarily discontinued

Titusville vs Astronaut(Battle for the Hudson Trophy)     11/2/18     Astronaut leads the series 32-15.

Eau Gallie vs Melbourne

Satellite vs Cocoa Beach(Beach Bowl)     11/2/18     Satellite leads the series 8-6 and has won the last 6 meetings.

Broward

Dillard vs Ely(Soul Bowl)     11/3/18     Ely leads the series 25-21-2 and has won 7 of the past 9 meetings.

South Plantation vs Plantation(Mayor's Cup)     10/27/18

Fort Lauderdale vs Stranahan     11/2/18    First played in 1958.  Have met 58 times, longest continuous rivalry in Broward County.  The Flying L's have won the last 4 meetings.

St Thomas Aquinas vs Cardinal Gibbons-temporarily discontinued

Charlotte

Charlotte vs Port Charlotte     10/26/18     Charlotte leads series 32-4(Port Charlotte won in 90, 07, 12, 13)   

Collier

Naples vs Immokalee     Naples won 48-17     Naples leads the series 26-21 and has won the last 4 meetings.

Naples vs Lely(Coconut Bowl)     Naples won 45-0 and leads the series 30-15 and has won 18 of the last 20 games, including the last 9 meetings.

Naples vs Barron Collier(Cross Town Showdown)     10/26/18

Duval

Lee vs Jackson     no game this year?

Raines vs Ribault(Northwest Classic Trophy)     11/3/18

Escambia

Escambia vs Pensacola High(Ye Olde Wash Boiler Tub)     11/2/18  This year will be the 60th meeting.  Escambia has won the last 5 games, and Pensacola won 11 in a row prior to that.   

Escambia vs Pine Forest     Pine Forest won 29-14

Hernando

Citrus vs Hernando     Citrus won 18-6    Hernando leads the series  42-27-3.  Citrus has won 4 of the past 6 meetings.  

Highlands

Sebring vs Avon Park-temporarily discontinued      Sebring leads series 54-40-1

Hillsborough

Armwood vs Plant     Armwood won 21-18     Series is tied 8-8

Plant vs Hillsborough     Plant won 45-28

Plant vs Robinson    Plant won 40-6 in the 60th meeting between these two schools.

Tampa Catholic vs Jesuit     11/2/18

Indian River

Sebastian River vs Vero Beach     11/2/18

Lake

Leesburg vs Eustis     Eustis won 62-36     Leesburg leads the series 47-27-1

Lee

Fort Myers vs North Fort Myers(Battle of the Callosahatchee River)     Fort Myers won 28-20

Lehigh vs East Lee County(Beast of the East)     Lehigh won 48-0.

Leon

Godby vs Rickards     10/12/18

Lincoln vs Leon    Lincoln won 56-21.  Lincoln leads the series 27-16 and has won the last 20 games.

Manatee

Manatee vs Southeast-temporarily discontinued

Manatee vs Palmetto     Manatee won 29-20.    Manatee has won 9 of the past 10 meetings.  Palmetto last won in 2004.

Marion

Vanguard vs North Marion     Vanguard won 20-14

Martin County

Martin County vs South Fork (Martin Bowl)     Martin County won 27-17    Martin County leads the series 20-15 and has won the past 4 meetings.

Miami-Dade

Northwestern vs Jackson(Soul Bowl)     11/2/18

Homestead vs South Dade     South Dade won 27-7

Coral Gables vs Miami High     Coral Gables won 35-0

Killian vs Palmetto (Cat Trophy)     10/25/18

Killian vs Southridge     SR won 57-13.

North Miami vs North Miami Beach     North Miami won 26-12.

Columbus vs Belen Jesuit     Columbus won 21-7.

Okaloosa

Fort Walton Beach vs Choctawhatchee(The Game)     10/26/18     Choctawhatchee leads the series 26-21 and has won the last 5 games, including a 42-7 win last season.

Niceville vs Crestview     10/26/18     Crestview has won 3 of the past 5 games, including a 35-18 victory last season.  Niceville won 30 in a row prior to that.

Osceola

Osceola vs St Cloud     Osceola won 34-14     Osceola leads the series 64-27-4 and has won 21 of the past 23 meetings.  St Could won in 2004 and 2005.  State's 5th oldest rivalry.

Orange

Boone vs Edgewater(Battle for the Spirit Barrel)     11/2/18     Began in 1952.  Edgewater leads the series 43-21-2.  Boone has won 4 of the past 5 meetings, including a 35-27 win last season.  

Jones vs Evans(Soul Bowl)     10/30/18

Oviedo vs Hagerty(Mayor's Cup)     Oviedo won 44-23

Dr Phillips vs Olympia     10/19/18     Dr Phillips leads the series 15-4 and has won the past 15 games on the field(2 wins forfeited), including a 31-10 win last season.

Palm Beach

Pahokee vs Glades Central(Muck Bowl)     11/3/18

Palm Beach Central vs Wellington(Wellington Cup)     PBC won 52-10.

Pasco

Pasco vs Zephyrhills(The 9-Mile War)     11/2/18     Pasco leads the series 40-20; Zephyrhills has won the past three meetings by a combined 138-29.

Pinellas

Tarpon Springs vs East Lake     E Lake won 27-2     E Lake has won the past 10 meetings

Palm Harbor University vs East Lake      E Lake won 28-0

Polk

Lakeland vs Kathleen     10/26/18     Lakeland leads series 39-19; has won 3 of last 5 meetings

Winter Haven vs Auburndale     Winter Haven won 35-12; rivalry dates back 90+ years; Winter Haven has won 10 games in a row and 12 of the last 15 meetings

Winter Haven vs Lake Wales     Lake Wales won 20-14.

Bartow vs Lake Wales     11/2/18     Lake Wales leads series 25-22; Lake Wales has won 17 of the past 19 meetings

Fort Meade vs Frostproof     11/2/18

St Johns

Nease vs Ponte Vedra(Battle for the Bridge)     Ponte Vedra won 35-14

St Augustine vs Menendez     62-28 Menendez won

St Lucie

Westwood vs Fort Pierce Central(The Showdown)      Westwood won 26-18     Central leads the series 21-18

Santa Rosa

Gulf Breeze vs Navarre(Public Peach Bowl Cup)     10/26/18     Navarre has won ten of the last 11 meetings, including a 29-23 win last year.

Pace vs Milton(Bronze Helmet)     10/26/18     Milton leads the series 23-15.  Milton has won 4 of the past 6 meetings, including a 25-19 win last year.

Seminole

Lake Brantley vs Lake Mary(Mayor's Cup)     Lake Mary won 50-20.  Lake Brantley leads the series 11-8, but Lake Mary has won 4 of the last 5 meetings.

Volusia

Mainland vs Seabreeze(Spike Welshinger Trophy)     10/26/18     Mainland leads the series 36-17 and has won 9 of the past 10 meetings, including a 44-0 win last season.

INTERCOUNTY RIVALRIES

South FL:

Okeechobee vs Clewiston(Hendry)     11/2/18     Have met 66 times.

Okeechobee vs Martin County  Martin County won 42-0     Martin County leads the series 38-23-3 and has won 5 of the past 6 games.

Central FL:

Seminole vs Deland(Volusia) "Battle of the Bridge"      Deland beat Seminole 20-17

Hardee vs Desoto(Walter F Buck Carlton Trophy)    10/26/18

Melbourne Central Catholic(Brevard) vs John Carroll(St Lucie)    no game this year     MCC won 52-7 in 2016 and leads the series 26-24 

Vero Beach(Indian River) vs Fort Pierce Central(St Lucie)     10/26/18     Vero Beach leads the series 23-13 and has won the past 4 meetings.

Cardinal Mooney(Sarasota) vs Bishop Verot(Lee)     Cardinal Mooney beat BV 28-25.

North FL:

Palatka(Putnam) vs St Augustine(St Johns)     11/2/18Columbia vs Suwannee(Oaken Bucket)     Columbia won 49-7

Columbia vs Gainesville     Columbia won 44-21

Santa Fe(Alachua) vs Fort White(Columbia) " Battle for the Paddle"-temporarily discontinued

Blountstown(Calhoun) vs Port St Joe(Gulf)   10/19/18      72 meetings between Blountstown and Port St. Joe since 1950. The Tigers hold a 38-32-2 edge in the series during that span. 75% of games decided by a touchdown or less

Jay vs Flomaton(Alabama)

14 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Polk County - Lake Wales vs Bartow is a big rivalry.  Lake Wales vs Haines City use to be.

Fort Meade vs Frostproof is also a big rivalry.  

Manatee County - Palmetto vs Manatee 

Charlotte County - Port Charlotte vs Charlotte

Lee County - Estero vs Fort Myers

Polk County has had so many good rivalries over the years!

I have added a number of games since the original post and am in the process of adding status of each rivalry, including dates of upcoming games.  So far, I have rivalry games for 28 different counties.  Please share if you have any pertinent information.

It is interesting to note that some of these rivalries have had turnarounds in recent years, with teams switching roles as the dominant one.  Niceville won 30 games in a row, and now Crestview has won 3 of the past 5 games.  If given enough time and desire, things can and do turn around.

In Palm Beach County..The Wellington/Loxahatchee games (Wellington, Seminole Ridge, and PB Central ) are starting to become something. I don't know if they have the staying power to last, but those games have become intense the last few seasons. Poor Royal Palm Beach, they've fallen off BAD, and they used to be the better of the schools in the area. 

Miami Northwestern vs Booker T will always be a huge rivalry given the fact that they are the only 2 remaining historically black schools still playing football to this day. 

I know Booker T was closed for 30 years but before they closed and after they reopened it was a big time rivalry. 

Same exact thing for Middleton and Blake. Exact same situation. Huge rivalry

2 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Is Colonial vs Evans a rivalry? I would assume it would be. They both started football the same year and played every single year for decades. 

Not really. They no longer play on a consistent basis and haven't for years. In the 1980s through 1990s, Evans was one of the top Orlando area programs. Colonial has never been very good and has had only one decent team in the 20 seasons I have followed Orlando area football. Evans has not had a good team in awhile, but it easily could if a few things were to change at the school. 

In places like DC, Philadelphia and St Louis, Catholic schools play together in leagues.  Not only do Catholic schools in south FL not play in leagues, most do not currently play each other on a year-to-year basis.  Columbus vs Belen Jesuit is probably the best-known continuous rivalry.

In Broward there is Cardinal Gibbons, St Thomas Aquinas, Chaminade-Madonna and Archbishop McCarthy.  In Miami-Dade there is Monsignor Pace, Belen Jesuit, Columbus, Immaculata-Lasalle, Archbishop Curley-Notre Dame, and Archbishop Carroll. In Palm Beach there is Cardinal Newman, St Andrew's and St John Paul II

St Thomas Aquinas used to play Cardinal Gibbons in a longstanding rivalry, but that was discontinued this past decade.  There could have been some great rivalries over the years, ie St Thomas vs Columbus, Chaminade vs Columbus, St Thomas vs Pace, etc, but, for whatever reason, these rivalries were discontinued or never developed.

22 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

In places like DC, Philadelphia and St Louis, Catholic schools play together in leagues.  Not only do Catholic schools in south FL not play in leagues, most do not currently play each other on a year-to-year basis.  Columbus vs Belen Jesuit is probably the best-known continuous rivalry.

In Broward there is Cardinal Gibbons, St Thomas Aquinas, Chaminade-Madonna and Archbishop McCarthy.  In Miami-Dade there is Monsignor Pace, Belen Jesuit, Columbus, Immaculata-Lasalle, Archbishop Curley-Notre Dame, and Archbishop Carroll. In Palm Beach there is Cardinal Newman, St Andrew's and St John Paul II

St Thomas Aquinas used to play Cardinal Gibbons in a longstanding rivalry, but that was discontinued this past decade.  There could have been some great rivalries over the years, ie St Thomas vs Columbus, Chaminade vs Columbus, St Thomas vs Pace, etc, but, for whatever reason, these rivalries were discontinued or never developed.

We use to have conferences. Conferences were used to ensure a 10 game season and was at one time viewed as important as the district.  Then as more schools got built and teams added to the districts, conferences became obsolete.  

9 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

We use to have conferences. Conferences were used to ensure a 10 game season and was at one time viewed as important as the district.  Then as more schools got built and teams added to the districts, conferences became obsolete.  

Here is some conferences from 1957

Western Conference.  Manatee,Sarasota,Plant,Clearwater, St Pete, Hillsborough, Jefferson, Chamberlain, Boca Ciega and Northeast

Tampa Bay Conference 

Turkey Creek, Ad Farragut, Brewster Tech, Brandon, Largo, Bishop Barry, Pinecrest, Wimauma, Tarpon Springs 

Suncoast Conference 

Clewiston, Ft Pierce, Pahokee, Lake Worth, Stuart, Seacrest, Vero Beach, Pompano Beach, Belle Glade 

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Here is some conferences from 1957

Western Conference.  Manatee,Sarasota,Plant,Clearwater, St Pete, Hillsborough, Jefferson, Chamberlain, Boca Ciega and Northeast

Tampa Bay Conference 

Turkey Creek, Ad Farragut, Brewster Tech, Brandon, Largo, Bishop Barry, Pinecrest, Wimauma, Tarpon Springs 

Suncoast Conference 

Clewiston, Ft Pierce, Pahokee, Lake Worth, Stuart, Seacrest, Vero Beach, Pompano Beach, Belle Glade 

In the 70's & 80's Hardee was in the Heartland Conference with DeSoto, Avon Park, Sebring, Lake Placid, Fort Meade, Okeechobee, and Mulberry.  Going back to the 60's we were in the Ridge Conference with Lake Wales, Auburndale, Haines City, Bartow, and some others I can't remember - Plant City, or Pasco maybe.    DeSoto was in the Coral Coast Conference with teams like Venice, Immokalee, Charlotte, etc. 

Here's a very short lived one, and far flung, The Big 8 Conference : Daytona Mainland, Sanford Seminole, Deland, Gainesville Purple Hurricanes, Winter Haven, Lakeland, Lakeland Kathleen, and ??......#oldandforgetful

Old Metro Conference: Mainland, Winter Park, Orlando Edgewater, Colonial, Boone, Jones, Evans, ?, ?......

There was a conference called the Little Ten conference. It was also called the Riverlands conference. It was a 6 man league in Central Florida. Some of the teams were: 

Anthony Red Devils 

Melrose Mustangs 

Dunnellon Tigers

Hawthorne Tigers 

Bell Bulldogs 

Bronson Eagles 

White Springs Lions 

Cedar Key Sharks 

Summerfiled Bulldogs 

Waldo Blue Devils 

Fort McCoy High

-some tidbits-

Lake Weir played a year in this 6 man conference before moving up. 

Dunnellon, Bell, Hawthorne, and Bronson all moved up to 11 man and play to this day. The others only played a few years in the 40's-50's

Cedar Key when they were open were the most geographically isolated team ever to play football in the state.