Change bonus points

blackmagic

7 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

No you are missing the point

If playing up a class results in bonus points with no clear management of the rule then you will see teams trying to get opponents in high classes regardless of the quality and that will lead to more problems then we have currently and at that point no team in 7a or 8a will want to play games against any class but themselves 

You won't see Columbia playing trinity, Bolles, or Madison County because they better off playing only 8a teams so they can insure bonus points for simply playing up a class regardless of how good the opponent is 

Look the points for beating a 8a in my system are not bonus points it is a value assigned to beating a 8a school. Which is harder than beating a 1a school.  The points for your opponent's wins are bonus points for playing successful teams. If you beat a 1a school with 9 wins you get 18 points no matter who you are.  If you beat a 0 win 1a school it is worth 9 points. My system rewards winning against teams that win primarily and also recognizes winning against higher classifications is harder on average. If your wins are against terrible big schools you are not going to come out ahead. You will need your opponents to win and most importantly you will need to win. While still recognizing a loss to a tough opponent.

See the point system was not presented to ensure you guys play anyone. It was suppose to prevent terrible teams from getting in over excellent teams from a loaded district and to fairly seed the bracket. I think it sucks at both. It is funny that a lot of the folks that wanted it don't want it to actually reflect what happens on the field. If you would have beaten Tca that win should have more value than your win against MC. That simply represents what actually happened on the field.

5 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

Look the points for beating a 8a in my system are not bonus points it is a value assigned to beating a 8a school. Which is harder than beating a 1a school.  The points for your opponent's wins are bonus points for playing successful teams. If you beat a 1a school with 9 wins you get 18 points no matter who you are.  If you beat a 0 win 1a school it is worth 9 points. My system rewards winning against teams that win primarily and also recognizes winning against higher classifications is harder on average. If your wins are against terrible big schools you are not going to come out ahead. You will need your opponents to win and most importantly you will need to win. While still recognizing a loss to a tough opponent.

See the point system was not presented to ensure you guys play anyone. It was suppose to prevent terrible teams from getting in over excellent teams from a loaded district and to fairly seed the bracket. I think it sucks at both. It is funny that a lot of the folks that wanted it don't want it to actually reflect what happens on the field. If you would have beaten Tca that win should have more value than your win against MC. That simply represents what actually happened on the field.

Most of what you said actually does make sense however i will say that not in all cases is beating a 1a school easier than beating a 8a school which is why I'm glad you also include win total as a important factor

For example Madison County (1a) will give us a much tougher challenge then Colonial (8a)

Any system that assigns bonus points for playing up will need to reflect that fact or it will end with teams abusing it 

10 hours ago, Phfootball9 said:

Ain't that the truth!

Looking back at when it was being debated;  bonus points were added for attempting to schedule tough and because most teams schedule for two years.  Also not to discourage rivalries that currently exist.  The biggest issue at hand was losing teams making the playoffs by automatically qualifying as a district runner-up and having a losing record while a 3rd place team with a winning season sat home.  This was due to 3 team districts in most cases and the 3rd place team was in the next district.   To the extent is accomplished this goal, I can't say as I haven't fully researched it.  In my class and region (5A region 3) last year the top 2 teams in each district made it anyway.  We had one team with a losing record make it, Booker, due to Southeast having to forfeit the season.  In 4a, Lake Placid got in as a 8 seed with a 5-5 record simply because 4a is a small class.  

Here's some additional thoughts I've had :

1.  Remove district games from the point average - Playing and winning your district automatically qualifies you and these are games you have to play so there is no control on scheduling them.  If a district opponent goes 0-10, it hurts you.  Example - Lakeland vs Bartow.

2.  I think adding a bonus for playing up in classification should have a 2 class difference.  Classes 1a & 2a are really the same.  Likewise there really isn't much or a difference between some 4a and 5a schools. 

One of the things that bothers me with the points is in Class 3A Region 1. St. Joseph out of St. Augustine is undefeated. If the playoffs ended right now they would be the number 2 seed. They play 5 Class 2A teams and 4 Independents. How can you judge if they are better than the other 3A teams when they don't play the same competition? They are playing terrible teams and will make the playoffs because of it.