Columbia vs Fletcher

DisabledAccount

The reality is that Columbia would be better off scheduling Valdosta or Lowndes than Apopka. Apopka is a consistently great team in Florida and every few years they are a regional finalist or better. But if I am CHS, I would drop Bolles and/or Trinity Christian and add Valdosta or Lowndes. Either one would bring a better gate than Apopka/Trinity/Bolles would bring in and the costs to traveling to Apopka would be eaten up by whatever they bring up.

Instead, Lowndes or Valdosta are closer and travel better as a whole. Valdosta and Lowndes are usually decent with one team being good while the other is mediocre. 

57 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

The reality is that Columbia would be better off scheduling Valdosta or Lowndes than Apopka. Apopka is a consistently great team in Florida and every few years they are a regional finalist or better. But if I am CHS, I would drop Bolles and/or Trinity Christian and add Valdosta or Lowndes. Either one would bring a better gate than Apopka/Trinity/Bolles would bring in and the costs to traveling to Apopka would be eaten up by whatever they bring up.

Instead, Lowndes or Valdosta are closer and travel better as a whole. Valdosta and Lowndes are usually decent with one team being good while the other is mediocre. 

Perhaps 

The only question is would lowndes have interest in playing us

Apopka having mutual interest is a plus in getting things done

I think we should drop Bolles but I think we should keep Trinity because they do present a very tough challenge every year 

In 2017, Bolles played Trinity lost by 12 during the Hurricane week (eventually a forfeit win). They played again in the playoffs and Bolles played Trinity Christian to a 3OT game.
In 2017, Columbia beat Trinity Christian and lost to Bolles.

In 2018, Trinity beats Bolles by 27. 
In 2018, Columbia lost to Trinity Christian and might beat Bolles. 

In other words, if you are basing the future on one season of results than it seems that is too small of a sample. Bolles can hold it's own, they are going through a change of the guard, but trust me, that Bolles alumni and administration will not put up with 1st and 2nd round exits from the playoffs for long. They will be back shortly. 

Again, I don't care which team Columbia drops, but it makes no earthly sense to drive 2 h and 12 minutes (Google Maps) to Apopka High School when a team like Valdosta/Lowndes would bring more money and offer just as good of competition. Play TC/Bolles in a Spring Game or Kick Off Classic. 

While it is the job of the coach to provide a challenging schedule for his team, the other goal is to make enough money so that you can buy uniforms, helmets, security, and equipment. Playing a money losing event does not do that. In terms of buses, you are talking at least 4 buses (2 football, 1 band, 1 cheer/dance). For a 2 hour trip and 150 miles, you are talking $600 round trip per bus or $2400 total. If tickets are $7 a piece, you have to believe that at least 350 people would come to the game that would otherwise would not be there.

If you take Lowndes, it would be about $300 per bus or 1200 total which means you would only need 170 people to show up who otherwise would not show up. So I ask the question, is it better to expect 170 people to drive 1 hour or 350 people to drive 2 hours?

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Perhaps 

The only question is would lowndes have interest in playing us

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

If you take Lowndes, it would be about $300 per bus or 1200 total which means you would only need 170 people to show up who otherwise would not show up. So I ask the question, is it better to expect 170 people to drive 1 hour or 350 people to drive 2 hours?

As long as expectations at Apopka were high and the game was scheduled on a Friday and not a Thursday, 350 or more would make the trip from Apopka. Why do I state this? Based on experience. This year, at least 400 made the trip from Apopka to Bartram Trail for that game. Columbia would be regarded at least as highly as BT by the Apopka fan base. Plus, in 2012, 2013 and 2014 when Apopka traveled to Jacksonville to play Fletcher and First Coast in the playoffs, conservatively at least 750 Apopka fans (probably more) showed for each of those three games.

The point is that Apopka travels well when it faces good competition provided expectations are high for the team.