Columbiafan FL top 50 post week 8 edition

DisabledAccount

Nice list but I have a tad issue with it its not where Dillard is ranked it's certain teams that's  ahead of us I have issues with now my opinion teams like blooming Dale and Jesuit who u have way ahead of us would get beat by Dillard especially at Dillard by 10 in my opinion.but since we won't or haven't played them I'm gonna focus on the fact u got Western and plantation ahead of us with Western in the top 2 tier of teams while we are behind them when we (DILLARD). Beat them matter fact were the only team to beat them then they beat undefeated plantation so shouldn't that put Dillard head of both of them ??? and it's not like our record don't speak for it's self plantation 6-1 only lost Western Western is 6-1 only lost Dillard Dillard record 6-2

38 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Nice list but I have a tad issue with it its not where Dillard is ranked it's certain teams that's  ahead of us I have issues with now my opinion teams like blooming Dale and Jesuit who u have way ahead of us would get beat by Dillard especially at Dillard by 10 in my opinion.but since we won't or haven't played them I'm gonna focus on the fact u got Western and plantation ahead of us with Western in the top 2 tier of teams while we are behind them when we (DILLARD). Beat them matter fact were the only team to beat them then they beat undefeated plantation so shouldn't that put Dillard head of both of them ??? and it's not like our record don't speak for it's self plantation 6-1 only lost Western Western is 6-1 only lost Dillard Dillard record 6-2

I set a precedent before in my rankings that the more recent the more impact on the rankings 

That is why West Orange 1 week after beating Wekiva was around 47 and wekiva was back in top 25

In that week wekiva destroyed Dr Phillips and West Orange lost to Jones 

Heck i even had teams win that fell because they looked so bad in those wins (Lee)

The point being is even though i take all games into account in the rankings the more recent the bigger impact it will have,  Dillard may belong higher and I'll likely review it for next week and adjust 

Honestly i had them over plantation but switched it last second out of a hunch

I do appreciate the feedback and I'll take it under advisement 

20 minutes ago, Drogo said:

I don’t want to be overly critical of your rankings, I know this is your opinion, and I get it, but to have Venice (7-1) at 20 and Vero Beach (8-0) at 28 doesnt compute to me, Vero beat Venice by 22 points in their house.

See the above part about the more recent the more impact

I understand the argument for Vero over Venice

I'll be frank, the reason Vero isn't higher is I don't trust them, I'm worried the second i rank them substantially higher they will go out and pull a DFB and that near miss Vero had this past week did nothing to ease my confidence in them living up to those hefty expectations if i make that huge jump for them that is seen in several polls 

But I'll keep a close eye moving forward and I'll adjust accordingly 

I appreciate the feedback and like with Dillard I'll take it under advisement for next weeks rankings 

I will also state this 

I do place some serious value into head to head match-ups 

However it is not the end all be all 

For example nobody in their right mind would rank First Coast over Baker County in a north Florida poll.  First Coast is having a rough year and Baker County is the favorite to win their District and handed a very solid Menendez team their only loss

Now ik that Vero and Venice aren't the same situation however i share this as a point that head to head can't be used every single time in ranking because the results would eventually get questionable, even if it would be ok in this current case to have Vero over Venice what if Vero lost to say Treasure Coast (like they almost did) ? Would i be able to justify keeping Vero Beach higher then Venice based on a game in week 1 or would it make more sense to put bigger emphasis on the more recent performances? 

Honest question, I just curious what you would do in that situation 

Let’s see...Vero has beaten Venice and Pahokee who are on your top 50 both on the road and beaten Westwood Wellington treasure coast, who beat cocoa on the road, and centennial on the road...so that’s five potential playoff teams not to mention 53 regular season wins in a row and your saying it’s an eye test thing? Veros QB went for 9-13 for over 300 yds against treasure coast...

6 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I will also state this 

I do place some serious value into head to head match-ups 

However it is not the end all be all 

For example nobody in their right mind would rank First Coast over Baker County in a north Florida poll.  First Coast is having a rough year and Baker County is the favorite to win their District and handed a very solid Menendez team their only loss

Now ik that Vero and Venice aren't the same situation however i share this as a point that head to head can't be used every single time in ranking because the results would eventually get questionable, even if it would be ok in this current case to have Vero over Venice what if Vero lost to say Treasure Coast (like they almost did) ? Would i be able to justify keeping Vero Beach higher then Venice based on a game in week 1 or would it make more sense to put bigger emphasis on the more recent performances? 

Honest question, I just curious what you would do in that situation 

Totally understand- if the teams had identical or similar records (First Coast is 3-4 while Baker County is 5-2 so it’s not quite apples to apples.) Vero is 8-0 and yes they’ve had close calls this year, but still unbeaten against some decent competition most weeks. 

But I think head to head match ups should count more than anything, because it’s the only true barometer of “what if”- you know it because it was decided on the field already.

In this case I’d keep Vero above Venice until they lost a game then you could drop them like a rock.

But this is all speculative and it’s the Columbiahighfan top 50, not the Dontez top 50 so you can use whatever criteria you see fit. You now know what the CFP committee goes through each week...lol 

1 hour ago, Drogo said:

Totally understand- if the teams had identical or similar records (First Coast is 3-4 while Baker County is 5-2 so it’s not quite apples to apples.) Vero is 8-0 and yes they’ve had close calls this year, but still unbeaten against some decent competition most weeks. 

But I think head to head match ups should count more than anything, because it’s the only true barometer of “what if”- you know it because it was decided on the field already.

In this case I’d keep Vero above Venice until they lost a game then you could drop them like a rock.

But this is all speculative and it’s the Columbiahighfan top 50, not the Dontez top 50 so you can use whatever criteria you see fit. You now know what the CFP committee goes through each week...lol 

Yeah i agree

Honestly the mistake i probably made was 2 weeks ago when i moved Venice higher because i felt i had them too low (had them at like 40) i probably moved them way higher than i needed to

Even though rankings for this week are locked in I'll look into adjusting them next week

10 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I set a precedent before in my rankings that the more recent the more impact on the rankings 

That is why West Orange 1 week after beating Wekiva was around 47 and wekiva was back in top 25

In that week wekiva destroyed Dr Phillips and West Orange lost to Jones 

Heck i even had teams win that fell because they looked so bad in those wins (Lee)

The point being is even though i take all games into account in the rankings the more recent the bigger impact it will have,  Dillard may belong higher and I'll likely review it for next week and adjust 

Honestly i had them over plantation but switched it last second out of a hunch

I do appreciate the feedback and I'll take it under advisement 

See the above part about the more recent the more impact

I understand the argument for Vero over Venice

I'll be frank, the reason Vero isn't higher is I don't trust them, I'm worried the second i rank them substantially higher they will go out and pull a DFB and that near miss Vero had this past week did nothing to ease my confidence in them living up to those hefty expectations if i make that huge jump for them that is seen in several polls 

But I'll keep a close eye moving forward and I'll adjust accordingly 

I appreciate the feedback and like with Dillard I'll take it under advisement for next weeks rankings 

Vero did beat Venice but I can see yo point 

I really can't see his point!!! Vero should be ahead of Venice, Your point could hold water,, if Vero actually lost and then you could say that Venice has looked impressive after they lost to Vero and Vero has been on the decline, but winning by 1 or 21 is still a win! And a lost is still a lost, so that in itself is mind blowing.

6 hours ago, Muckcitypride1 said:

I really can't see his point!!! Vero should be ahead of Venice, Your point could hold water,, if Vero actually lost and then you could say that Venice has looked impressive after they lost to Vero and Vero has been on the decline, but winning by 1 or 21 is still a win! And a lost is still a lost, so that in itself is mind blowing.

You think winning by 1 or winning by 50 should have same weight in where a team is ranked?

12 hours ago, Drogo said:

No worries, I appreciate you having the cojones to put it out there knowing you’d get heat for it, I couldn’t do it that’s for sure.

Thats the thing though 

For me i always welcome feedback both positive and negative as long as the feedback is done with intent to make suggestions for improvement 

What usually bothers me is when others just complain about it just to complain but won't do their own

However so far that don't appear to be a issue as it seems all the feedback on the thread was done to share thoughts and ideas for improvement which i always welcome 

I may not always agree with them but i do listen to feedback i get on teams because one of biggest things i do is I trust people who see these teams in areas i don't get to and i rely on them to make sure I have the right placement 

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Thats the thing though 

For me i always welcome feedback both positive and negative as long as the feedback is done with intent to make suggestions for improvement 

What usually bothers me is when others just complain about it just to complain but won't do their own

However so far that don't appear to be a issue as it seems all the feedback on the thread was done to share thoughts and ideas for improvement which i always welcome 

I may not always agree with them but i do listen to feedback i get on teams because one of biggest things i do is I trust people who see these teams in areas i don't get to and i rely on them to make sure I have the right placement 

Strictly for feedback again:

As a Vero fan, one thing I can tell everyone is that both Centennial and Treasure Coast  impressed the hell out of me this year.

It looks as though these two will join Vero in the playoffs (3 out of the 4 teams in this district) and I for one would pick them over the higher seeded team they’re playing, as it stands now they’re 3-4 in the region points standing, but due to the fact they won’t win the district due to losing to Vero, would most likely end up as the 5-6 seeds. 

10 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Strictly for feedback again:

As a Vero fan, one thing I can tell everyone is that both Centennial and Treasure Coast  impressed the hell out of me this year.

It looks as though these two will join Vero in the playoffs (3 out of the 4 teams in this district) and I for one would pick them over the higher seeded team they’re playing, as it stands now they’re 3-4 in the region points standing, but due to the fact they won’t win the district due to losing to Vero, would most likely end up as the 5-6 seeds. 

This may be the biggest blessing in disguise for VB. For the first time in forever, VB has had solid district competition. This may actually benefit VB in the playoffs since they have had: Venice and Pahokee in addition to Centennial and Treasure Coast. In the most recent past, VB has coasted only to get bumped by solid playoff teams early.  

Just a scenario, If a #1 ranked LSU plays an #3 ranked Alabama at the beginning of the season and gets beat by 20 plus points, and continues to win but struggles against Georgia, Florida, and Texas a&m. But LSU blows everybody else out but didn't play UF, Georgia or a&m. Would you ranked Bama under LSU. My question would be, HOW IN THE WORLD COULD YOU? SAME THING in my opinion!!!!

11 minutes ago, Muckcitypride1 said:

Just a scenario, If a #1 ranked LSU plays an #3 ranked Alabama at the beginning of the season and gets beat by 20 plus points, and continues to win but struggles against Georgia, Florida, and Texas a&m. But LSU blows everybody else out but didn't play UF, Georgia or a&m. Would you ranked Bama under LSU. My question would be, HOW IN THE WORLD COULD YOU? SAME THING in my opinion!!!!

Neither team is top 5 in FL so no it's not the same thing and you didn't answer my question 

14 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

You think winning by 1 or winning by 50 should have same weight in where a team is ranked?

So lets use Lee as a example 

If they get taken to the limit by a sub .500 team you think they shouldn't drop at all in the rankings? 

In other words beating a powerhouse like Miami Central by 30 should count same when ranking as beating Nease by 1

How does that MAKE SENSE? 

41 minutes ago, Muckcitypride1 said:

If you never lose, Then yes it should count the same, are we now looking for style points in victories?, but conversely Venice lost by 20+, so you'r saying the same thing that I'm saying because it's just a lost in your eyes, Am I correct? 

No I'm saying a team blasting a elite one deserves more credit then barley escaping a weak team

34 minutes ago, Muckcitypride1 said:

And I STILL SAY that Venice should not beat ranked ahead of a team that BEAT THEM and has a better record. POINT, BLANK, PERIOD. If that were the case Columbia should be ranked ahead of Trinity Christian, shouldn't they? I mean there wins have been more impressive and all!!!!

Ok fair enough 

The mistake i likely made was having Venice boosted too high 2 weeks ago 

I'll adjust accordingly next week 

1 hour ago, Muckcitypride1 said:

If you never lose, Then yes it should count the same, are we now looking for style points in victories?, but conversely Venice lost by 20+, so you'r saying the same thing that I'm saying because it's just a lost in your eyes, Am I correct? 

I understand his point TBH, he being conservative, look at last year's Vero they beat Oscar Smith and Pahokee convincingly but was losing 28-7 AT HOME at halftime don't be surprised if Manatee Riverview or Dr Phillips catches Vero early cuz they just as green as these 2 or 3 loss teams