Hypocrisy in the point/playoff system!!

THIS_IS_DILLARD

12 minutes ago, Coach said:

Here's my argument against that. I was born in Sunrise and I'm a diehard Miami Dolphins fan. Let's pretend the NFL season was 4 games long. Miami was 3-0 playing the 1-2 NE Patriots a few weeks back. Miami got throttled. At the time, Miami was then 3-1 and NE 2-2. Which team was better? Which team would deserve to be in the playoffs? I'd say NE even with the worse record.

In HS football, coaches can manipulate their schedules to get 8 or 9 wins against worse competition. A good record isn't necessarily the mark of a great team. Testing yourself against stiff competition and going toe-to-toe with the "big boys" is what makes you playoff-ready. I would gladly rather see a 5-5 team that played a legit schedule in the playoffs over a 9-1 team that beat up on weak competition. Those teams tend to be one and done anyway. 

In reference to the NE analogy that's not fair cuz I'm a die hard Patriots fan and even at 1-2 I knew that was a marage it happens every year in the beginning then we throttle the nfl the rest of the way but I do understand ya logic 

20 minutes ago, Zoe Boy said:

What? They are eligible for both but the reason they don’t get the nod is cause the schedule ain’t up to par... Now I do agree with you with the system was supposed to put the best teams In.. Which In the most part it did last year.. I do agree teams under .500 shouldn’t make it. BUT I do agree with teams that goes out and plays a challenging schedule year in and year out and don’t take the easy way out with a .500 record should go in instead of a team that plays trash all year and they could of schedule 1 or 2 teams that’s a good to great team.. All 4 teams ain’t making the playoffs from district 6a and Norland will be left out cause they gonna be at best 4-6 while Da West is gonna be .500 and will advance to the second round as long as they don’t get Carol City or Central in the first rd.. Now what I think they should do is take 2 teams from that district and move them to the other district with Dillard or with Naples ... 

Ok and I get u I really do so we reward those who may lose scheduling tough but the fact they wasn't afraid and played the best of the best they get a nod for the playoffs even without winning their district ok cool

So where is the reward for teams with coaching staffs who understand where they are at as a program and schedule smartly and they win sure it may not be against the national elites but all the less it's still against another team who line up and bleed like they do look at iSB they constantly set themselves up year after with a 10 game schedule of nothing but elites only to get steam rolled every week that's not mentally helping the kids either 

6 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

In reference to the NE analogy that's not fair cuz I'm a die hard Patriots fan and even at 1-2 I knew that was a marage it happens every year in the beginning then we throttle the nfl the rest of the way but I do understand ya logic 

Same situation 

If you claim better record means better team than you were saying the dolphins were still the better team

Again better record don't mean better team

And i think MNW would running clock Boyd Anderson 

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Same situation 

If you claim better record means better team than you were saying the dolphins were still the better team

Again better record don't mean better team

And i think MNW would running clock Boyd Anderson 

U most likely right but does that mean Boyd Anderson is not deserving of a playoff spot if they post a winning record ?!

And to answer ya question at that point MIA had been playing better football which is why their record was better how I feel put best record vs best record and let the results b spoken on the field 

3 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Ok and I get u I really do so we reward those who may lose scheduling tough but the fact they wasn't afraid and played the best of the best they get a nod for the playoffs even without winning their district ok cool

So where is the reward for teams with coaching staffs who understand where they are at as a program and schedule smartly and they win sure it may not be against the national elites but all the less it's still against another team who line up and bleed like they do look at iSB they constantly set themselves up year after with a 10 game schedule of nothing but elites only to get steam rolled every week that's not mentally helping the kids either 

Isb can't handle that schedule because They lack direction,  they think just getting blasted by elite teams improves the program,  they are not strong enough to handle that level of schedule

The problem is it sounds like you feel we should reward teams who take easier schedules knowing they couldn't handle elite teams and punish those who can

While MNW and Norland don't have the best record i would be willing to bet Boyd wouldn't have won any of the games those 2 have lost so far this season

Boyd would have never beat IMG 

Boyd would have never beat Miami Central or Miami Carol City 

Get where this is going?  Should Boyd be rewarded because they were simply smart enough to not schedule the best teams? 

1 minute ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

U most likely right but does that mean Boyd Anderson is not deserving of a playoff spot if they post a winning record ?!

And to answer ya question at that point MIA had been playing better football which is why their record was better how I feel put best record vs best record and let the results b spoken on the field 

Maybe they are depending on how you view it

I don't believe they would beat either team and i feel the whole point is to get the best 8 teams in each region regardless of record,  others feel differently which is perfectly fine

The question becomes what is the true goal of the system,  getting the better teams or the better records

Maybe Boyd steps up their schedule next year and proves they could hang with those teams like they could a few years back 

• Floridaatlantic1
  • Members
  • 1 post

My issue with the current playoff systems is that it has two main flaws which has made it a joke. 

A) It rewards teams who lose wayyyyyyyy tooo much. How does a team who loses a game to a playoff team that is undefeated for the year and earn more points than the winning team. 35 points for a loss to a top tier team and a 3 point bonus if they were a playoff team gives them 38 while the winning team earns 35 if the team is a lower level tier. They raised the point total last year for losses and it was a mistake. in one of the regions, a 1-7 team has more points than a 5-3 teams and numerous 4-4 teams.    Solution - lower the points for a loss back to last years numbers. Or eliminate the bonus points. Giving more points to losing team than the winner is dumb.

b ) The increased points for losers crushes teams in large districts (not under teams control). Teams in 7 team districts have a tougher time winning the district and give more automatic losses to everyone's scheduled opponents, thus lowering the points for all teams in the district. Meanwhile a 4 team district can schedule more wins outside of the conference and have less automatic losses and raise the point totals for every team in the district.  

solution- go back to last years loss points. 

Agree with earlier posts- go back to old system with  fewer district and runner-up and points for wildcard teams using last years point totals

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Maybe they are depending on how you view it

I don't believe they would beat either team and i feel the whole point is to get the best 8 teams in each region regardless of record,  others feel differently which is perfectly fine

The question becomes what is the true goal of the system,  getting the better teams or the better records

Maybe Boyd steps up their schedule next year and proves they could hang with those teams like they could a few years back 

Why do they have to step it up if they know they can't compete u suppose to stay in your lane 

Just now, Floridaatlantic1 said:
  • Floridaatlantic1
  • Members
  • 1 post

My issue with the current playoff systems is that it has two main flaws which has made it a joke. 

A) It rewards teams who lose wayyyyyyyy tooo much. How does a team who loses a game to a playoff team that is undefeated for the year and earn more points than the winning team. 35 points for a loss to a top tier team and a 3 point bonus if they were a playoff team gives them 38 while the winning team earns 35 if the team is a lower level tier. They raised the point total last year for losses and it was a mistake. in one of the regions, a 1-7 team has more points than a 5-3 teams and numerous 4-4 teams.    Solution - lower the points for a loss back to last years numbers. Or eliminate the bonus points. Giving more points to losing team than the winner is dumb.

b ) The increased points for losers crushes teams in large districts (not under teams control). Teams in 7 team districts have a tougher time winning the district and give more automatic losses to everyone's scheduled opponents, thus lowering the points for all teams in the district. Meanwhile a 4 team district can schedule more wins outside of the conference and have less automatic losses and raise the point totals for every team in the district.  

solution- go back to last years loss points. 

Agree with earlier posts- go back to old system with  fewer district and runner-up and points for wildcard teams using last years point totals

Honestly something i think should be done is increasing the gap between the cat 1 and cat 2 wins to make there be more Separation from cat 3 and cat 4 

That along with adjusting the point totals for losses back to last year could fix the problems we see this year 

1 minute ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Why do they have to step it up if they know they can't compete u suppose to stay in your lane 

I'm saying they need to step it up if they want to prove they can handle that elite level

I've seen undefeated teams that i think would get running clocked by these schools like MNW, Norland, BTW, ect

11 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Isb can't handle that schedule because They lack direction,  they think just getting blasted by elite teams improves the program,  they are not strong enough to handle that level of schedule

The problem is it sounds like you feel we should reward teams who take easier schedules knowing they couldn't handle elite teams and punish those who can

While MNW and Norland don't have the best record i would be willing to bet Boyd wouldn't have won any of the games those 2 have lost so far this season

Boyd would have never beat IMG 

Boyd would have never beat Miami Central or Miami Carol City 

Get where this is going?  Should Boyd be rewarded because they were simply smart enough to not schedule the best teams? 

Neither did MNW OR NORLAND lol tho 

18 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

You saw my comment about Lake Placid in the thread on win-less team in the playoffs?   ISB could be that team I described, no wins but still in. 

4 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'm saying they need to step it up if they want to prove they can handle that elite level

I've seen undefeated teams that i think would get running clocked by these schools like MNW, Norland, BTW, ect

So what do u feel the major differences are between Dillard and Boyd Anderson both schools are in the same district and 7 min apart from each other if that 

Just now, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

So what do u feel the major differences are between Dillard and Boyd Anderson both schools are in the same district and 7 min apart from each other if that 

It seems like from a distance (I'm only saying what I can observe from a distance, someone in that area would know better than me on this topic)

Boyd Anderson was a Solid team when they had direction but once that coach stepped down they have not been able to keep up at that level, Dillard for all their problems have been consistent at maintaining talent and were always a coach away from beginning the build back towards the top

They now have the coach they need,  now they just need to give him time to build something and from what i can tell this coach Dillard has is the perfect person for that team,  he will make them contenders if given the time

So i would have to stay Dillard has better stability 

3 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Ok so shouldn't they still be rewarded if they did schedule those teams that mnw and mn did since both are being rewo even tho they lost all of em 

If they scheduled the same games and had same results i would definitely give them credit for doing so

Taking on that level of team proves more to me then beating a bunch of cupcakes 

Isn't this where the college football committee seems to label (quality loss)  and they deem 1 quality loss with a tough schedule as more deserving then undefeated with all cupcakes? 

14 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Of all the playoff systems that I have seen the one in place 1999-2000 was the one I liked best: 6 classes,  3 districts per region. Districts were larger. District Champs and Runner-ups made the playoffs with two wildcard teams for the 7th & 8th spot. Those were determined first by overall record. A point system was used only to break a tie and the points were the sum of opponents wins and losses.

You could probably get larger districts if so many schools would stop being such whiny babies with being given tough teams and/or travel

The schools are ones who made the district issues we have currently 

27 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It seems like from a distance (I'm only saying what I can observe from a distance, someone in that area would know better than me on this topic)

Boyd Anderson was a Solid team when they had direction but once that coach stepped down they have not been able to keep up at that level, Dillard for all their problems have been consistent at maintaining talent and were always a coach away from beginning the build back towards the top

They now have the coach they need,  now they just need to give him time to build something and from what i can tell this coach Dillard has is the perfect person for that team,  he will make them contenders if given the time

So i would have to stay Dillard has better stability 

Hmmm so what's the diff in scheduling between the to 

34 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Hmmm so what's the diff in scheduling between the to 

The one huge difference i see is that Dillard actually won one of their tough games while Boyd hasn't 

Best 3 games on Boyd schedule to this point has been Piper, St Thomas Aquinas and dillard (all losses) 

They got Mcarther and coconut creek to finish year,  not exactly murders row but not elite either

Dillard did beat Western which is really looking like a very good win right now and is by far better than any win on Boyd schedule 

The main problem I have with the point system is in 4A-1A. Take a look at 3A region 1. St Joseph is undefeated and on track to be the number 2 seed in that region. They will have played 6 2A schools and 4 independents. How can you really determine if they are better than the other schools in their region when they don't compete against them? I'm not picking on St. Joseph they are having a great season. But if we are truly trying to get the best teams how can we determine that if they don't even play each other? St. Joseph is going to end up getting a  a bye in the first round over Fort White and Baldwin and they both would beat St. Joseph badly.