10 Best Teams of the 1970's

OldSchoolLion

Merritt Island(4A)-6 playoff appearances, 15 playoff wins, 3 state titles

Blountstown(2A)-5 playoff appearances, 11 playoff wins, 3 state titles

FAMU(A)-4 playoff appearances, 11 playoff wins, 3 state titles

Atlantic(3A)-5 playoff appearances, 13 playoff wins, 4 state-runner-up

Glades Central(3A)-5 playoff appearances, 9 playoff wins, 2 state titles, 1 runner-up

Leon(4A)-6 playoff appearances, 9 playoff wins, 1 state title, 2 runner-up

Ocala Forest(3A)-3 playoff appearances, 9 playoff wins, 2 state titles

Haines City(3A)-5 playoff appearances, 7 playoff wins, 1 state title, 1 state runner-up

Port St Joe(2A)-3 playoff appearances, 7 playoff wins, 1 state title, 1 state runner-up

Pahokee(2A)-5 playoff appearances, 7 playoff wins, 1 state runner-up

From 72-76...(Other than 1973), a team from Leon County played for the state title, 1976 was Goodby. The Leon/Godby game that season was huge, Godby annihilated Leon that night winning for the very 1st time against Leon.  Leon had played for a state title the previous season. The win propelled Godby to the Playoffs but was costly however as Godby lost a key component of its wishbone attack I want to say his name was Victor Pompey. That Godby team may have been the 1st instance of a state tile game being played at a neutral site, as the state tile game against Carol City was played in Lakeland rather than at a on campus site that was the norm during that time.QB Sammy Knight and TB Chris Hobbs would later play for FAMU and took part in upset win over the University of Miami.

7 hours ago, FL_HS_football said:

From 72-76...(Other than 1973), a team from Leon County played for the state title, 1976 was Goodby. The Leon/Godby game that season was huge, Godby annihilated Leon that night winning for the very 1st time against Leon.  Leon had played for a state title the previous season. The win propelled Godby to the Playoffs but was costly however as Godby lost a key component of its wishbone attack I want to say his name was Victor Pompey. That Godby team may have been the 1st instance of a state tile game being played at a neutral site, as the state tile game against Carol City was played in Lakeland rather than at a on campus site that was the norm during that time.QB Sammy Knight and TB Chris Hobbs would later play for FAMU and took part in upset win over the University of Miami.

Thanks for sharing that. 

FYI-There were some neutral games played in Gainesville in the 60's.  The 1975 4A title game was played at a neutral site in central FL, just like the game you describe.

OldSchoolLion Said:

Thanks for sharing that. 

FYI-There were some neutral games played in Gainesville in the 60's.  The 1975 4A title game was played at a neutral site in central FL, just like the game you describe.

Thanks.....I was a junior in High school and that was my 1st state title team to see in person, had watched a playoff game at Tampa Stadium with Tampa Plant who was coached by Roland Acosta......but other than that my knowledge about the playoffs was limited at best at that point.......

12 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Glades Central(3A)-5 playoff appearances, 9 playoff wins, 2 state titles, 1 runner-up

Haines City(3A)-5 playoff appearances, 7 playoff wins, 1 state title, 1 state runner-up

Port St Joe(2A)-3 playoff appearances, 7 playoff wins, 1 state title, 1 state runner-up

Wasn't Carol City pretty good in the 1970s? I know they won at least one state title, but thought they had gone deep more than once. 

7 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Wasn't Carol City pretty good in the 1970s? I know they won at least one state title, but thought they had gone deep more than once. 

The Chiefs made back-to-back 4A title game appearances in the late 70's...won one game, lost the other.  Those were their only two playoff appearances.  In the early 70's, only one Miami-Dade team made it to the 4A playoffs.  In the late 70's, two teams did.  There was a lot of parity back then.  One didn't see teams making the playoffs year after year like today.  When a team made the playoffs, it was truly an accomplishment.     

• 3 years later...
On 10/31/2018 at 7:36 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

Add, Godby High School.  1976, 14 - 0.  I think we gave up -70 points defensively all season.  Shut out Pensacola Tate and Merrit Island in the playoffs.  Undersized, 36 players on the roster.  Biggest player was 215 lbs.  offensive line averaged 170 lbs.  Sammy Knight at QB, (signed with FAMU), Chris Hobbs at RB, (signed with Miami).  A lot of heart and scrap got us through the season.  Lost our other RB, Robert Pompey, (almost 1,000 yds rushing), in the Leon game.  I think the Dunkel Index had us ranked 7 or 8 in the nation at season’s end.  

• 9 months later...

...1976 was Godby. The Leon/Godby game that season was huge, Godby annihilated Leon that night 46-7, winning for the very 1st time against Leon (46 years ago, today).  Leon had played for a state title the previous season. The win propelled Godby to the Playoffs but was costly however as Godby lost a key component of its veer attack I want to say his name was Robert Pompey. That Godby team may have been the 1st instance of a state title game being played at a neutral site, as the state title game against Carol City was played in Lakeland rather than at an on-campus site that was the norm during that time.

QB Sammy Knight and TB Chris Hobbs (Hobbs actually played for Miami.) would later play for FAMU and took part in upset win over the University of Miami, at Doak, in 1979.