FHSAA Playoff system is very flawed

181pl

18 minutes ago, 181pl said:

I hear you. St Thomas and Columbus kind of mess up the classifications for private schools if we were to separate them. However, some private schools with tiny populations can compete with the biggest schools in the state public or private simply based on the fact that they recruit 20 or 30 elite football players. So as much as I don't like putting teams with much, much larger schools, privates could theoretically compete with these teams by simply ramping up their recruiting.

The fact is that those private schools don't get that many elite recruits.  See my past threads where I evaluated talent at Cardinal Gibbons, University School and Chaminade.  C-M was the only school I found this past year that got 10 players in who are currently starters, and some of those were not elite players.  I doubt those schools would want to get into a recruiting war with STA, but if they did, it could create a very undesirable, unintended effect.  Broward public schools already lose some of their most talented players to the private schools.  Imagine if it was even worse.   

17 minutes ago, 181pl said:

It's weak logic. They are lost to everyone good they played that had a pulse except for Cocoa. And to say Hillsborough County doesn't have good teams is silly. A Hillsborough team has been in the finals almost every year for the last 15 years.

Yeah and half of those were either plant or armwood 

Hillsborough has some solid teams However don't pretend they are loaded with powerhouses 

Only plant and armwood fit that description 

23 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

8 team districts and no scheduling flexibility 

I hope that never passes, our district games are generally boring games already

I agree. Districts should be between 5 and 7 teams each. No less than 5 or more than 7. That way, you don't have the three and four team cheesy districts, but you do have the ability to schedule at least four games outside the district. 

I like the system. For the most part, the first round matchups are fantastic. I think people are getting caught up in W-L records instead of schedule strength and power numbers. Just my opinion but I foresee the first round winning margins being closer than any other first round since the turn of the century. 

Looking forward to it. 

5 hours ago, 181pl said:

Osceola was down by 2 scores most of the game. Dominated may have been a touch strong but the outcome never seemed in doubt.

It was 14-7 in the third quarter after a long touchdown run for Osceola.. The game was in doubt until the scoop and score.. But to each there own.

3 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

They are not debating that Jesuit won. They are not even saying they did not deserve to win. They are just saying the game was not a blowout. I believe they were both there and I trust the integrity of the posters to give an honest account of the game. 

Thank you lol.. I dont think he understood that part. In no way am i taking credit from Jesuit they came to play that night but that game could've gone either way. Osceola just made to many mistakes and Jesuit capitalized....

8 hours ago, LAZ said:

I like the system. For the most part, the first round matchups are fantastic. I think people are getting caught up in W-L records instead of schedule strength and power numbers. Just my opinion but I foresee the first round winning margins being closer than any other first round since the turn of the century. 

Looking forward to it. 

Laz,

I respect your work, but the system put in both Rutherford and Gadsden in above Jackson who you have ranked higher. How is that a good system?

Yes, i might be looking at one tree instead of the forest, but damn it is an ugly tree.

16 hours ago, LAZ said:

Looking forward to it. 

You like the fact that 0-9 Gadsden got into the playoffs? That would never happen in any reasonable system.

Wake up people.

9 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Two thoughts:

If the FHSAA doesn't expand to 6 teams this doesn't happen. If the FHSAA doesn't increase points for losses, this doesn't happen. 

Which one do you think the FHSAA changes this year? If any

They loss point total likely decreases and implement a overall record tiebreaker so a coin flip gets pushed further back on the tiebreaker situation 

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

You like the fact that 0-9 Gadsden got into the playoffs? That would never happen in any reasonable system.

Wake up people.

Old system had a 1-9 Eastside team and a winless FAMU team in at one point while leaving a 8-2 defending 4 time champion like Miami Central out of playoffs 

Was the old one any better? 

19 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Old system had a 1-9 Eastside team and a winless FAMU team in at one point while leaving a 8-2 defending 4 time champion like Miami Central out of playoffs 

Much better because it was decided on wins and losses. No bonus points for scheduling a team that may have been OK in 2016 and snuck into the playoffs back then but is now hot garbage (Brandon and dozens of other examples).

The only way to fix this mess is to get out of the business of small districts. Go to large districts. Even with an 8 team district, you are left with 3 non-district games and K.O. classic. That's enough.

You can award the top two in the district with the playoffs and you aren't going to have many teams with bad records making it in. On top of that, bonus points to seed the playoff qualifiers by Section, not region. 1 point per win, no points for losses, a schedule bonus of 1-4 based on the overall record of the teams you played that year. That is the only fair way. Forget the playoff nonsense because a team that qualified a year or two before may have lost everyone to graduation or transfer and you are still getting points for a team that could wind up 3-7 or 2-8. 

The only flaw to that is fofreit losses when figuring out current schedule strength of the teams you played. I would perhaps only go with on field results or give 1/2 a win to a team that had to forfeit when figuring out the strength of a schedule. I'm not advocating giving the team that had to forfeit any points in their own compilation, only for the teams that had to play the team that had the forfeit loss.

A little bit of thought can fix this mess, but I'm not counting on it from the bozos upstairs.

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

We have had this conversation before, but the old system was fixable with small changes. Increasing district size solves that problem, no need for an over complicated system. If there had been 7-8 teams in a district, boom, solved. 

5 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

We have had this conversation before, but the old system was fixable with small changes. Increasing district size solves that problem, no need for an over complicated system. If there had been 7-8 teams in a district, boom, solved. 

If only it was that simple

Teams being whiny babies about a little travel or wanting a easy district caused this

What they gonna do?  Force teams and risk losing more schools to independent?

48 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Much better because it was decided on wins and losses. No bonus points for scheduling a team that may have been OK in 2016 and snuck into the playoffs back then but is now hot garbage (Brandon and dozens of other examples).

The only way to fix this mess is to get out of the business of small districts. Go to large districts. Even with an 8 team district, you are left with 3 non-district games and K.O. classic. That's enough.

You can award the top two in the district with the playoffs and you aren't going to have many teams with bad records making it in. On top of that, bonus points to seed the playoff qualifiers by Section, not region. 1 point per win, no points for losses, a schedule bonus of 1-4 based on the overall record of the teams you played that year. That is the only fair way. Forget the playoff nonsense because a team that qualified a year or two before may have lost everyone to graduation or transfer and you are still getting points for a team that could wind up 3-7 or 2-8. 

The only flaw to that is fofreit losses when figuring out current schedule strength of the teams you played. I would perhaps only go with on field results or give 1/2 a win to a team that had to forfeit when figuring out the strength of a schedule. I'm not advocating giving the team that had to forfeit any points in their own compilation, only for the teams that had to play the team that had the forfeit loss.

A little bit of thought can fix this mess, but I'm not counting on it from the bozos upstairs.

No it was decided on a select few wins or losses while half the season had no meaning or value whatsoever 

That's why I despise that old system

2 hours ago, 181pl said:

0-9 Gadsden got into the playoffs? That would never happen in any reasonable system.

Wake up people.

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

52 minutes ago, 181pl said:

MUCH BETTER  because it was decided on wins and losses. No bonus points for scheduling a team that may have been OK in 2016 and snuck into the playoffs back then but is now hot garbage (Brandon and dozens of other examples).

Hmm?? 

Am i the only one who caught the fact that the same thing you are saying makes this current system garbage happened on the old system yet for some reason you think it was better when it at best breaks even and throw in finally having seeding and makes every game count 

I call that UPGRADE 

12 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Increasing district size doesn't prevent the devaluing of non district games

The new system can be fixed in a easy way. Make all districts at least 6 teams instead of some with 4 and some with 7. This will stop hurting teams in large districts who have a certain number of guaranteed losses compared to 4 team districts. Next, make losing to a tier four team back to 30 instead of 35 to stop teams who lose a game from gaining more points than beating a team form lower tier. 

Columbia fan, take a step back take a deep breath. This is a very fixable situation. Just like gator man said, all we have to do is go back to larger districts. If you whine about the travel then you don't have to participate in the FHSAA playoffs, it's that easy. And there are enough teams in every geographic region to fill out districts very easily. We just need to be slightly more flexible with the classes. And for the folks that like points, what I suggested above works. You award points based on strength of schedule for that year. Based on wins and losses. Not past accomplishments. That's the fairest and most equable way to solve this stupid mess that the FHSAA has single-handedly caused.

This is the product of Frank Beasley and the Fhsaa and it has proven to be terribly flawed. The former system as mentioned above was better. The fact you had bad teams in the playoffs were because of 3 team districts. If you say the minimum number of teams in a district are 6, that guarantees 5 games then you still have schedule flexibility. You will NEVER make everyone happy but I don't know anyone that can honestly say that a winless team belongs in the playoffs. On top of that it was decided by a coin flip. We need a math degree to figure out the standings but we can't get teams together to play 1 qtr to decide a playoff spot. Let's just flip a coin and here we go. I would like to believe that the Fhsaa is embarrassed by these results but I really don't think they care.