Examining Dr Phillips loses

Floridatech

Dr Phillips comes in the playoffs as the defending state champs and they maybe down but they played a hellacious and I was looking at their box scores and the only team that truly blew them out were Lee County, but despite that, they actually put up a fight with Apopka and Wekiva......Sometimes scores might not tell the whole truth....

Here is the box scores 

Lee County 

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/contest/default.aspx?contestid=3d84755b-9b6a-4e51-ba0e-8cc62d408865&ssid=c3d47049-daf2-47e3-8a8e-1e4552d8a797#tab=box-score&schoolid=

West Orange

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/contest/default.aspx?contestid=64c9c8f9-0962-4082-b32e-798153cf34bc&ssid=c3d47049-daf2-47e3-8a8e-1e4552d8a797#tab=box-score&schoolid=

Apopka 

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/contest/default.aspx?contestid=9481e5dc-21d4-4fa2-9a8c-49d97d661d2e&ssid=c3d47049-daf2-47e3-8a8e-1e4552d8a797#tab=box-score&schoolid=

Mainland

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/contest/default.aspx?contestid=8d04df68-1825-4367-81e0-40f21eded8fe&ssid=c3d47049-daf2-47e3-8a8e-1e4552d8a797#tab=box-score&schoolid=

Wekiva 

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/contest/default.aspx?contestid=5809397d-7096-4270-969d-164a550e2949&ssid=c3d47049-daf2-47e3-8a8e-1e4552d8a797#tab=box-score&schoolid=

All these teams including Lee County actually didn't have too much of a big lead over Dr Phillips at halftime which is pretty good, a schedule like this could kill you or make you a tough opponent for the playoffs.....

52 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

Dr Phillips comes in the playoffs as the defending state champs and they maybe down but they played a hellacious and I was looking at their box scores and the only team that truly blew them out were Lee County, but despite that, they actually put up a fight with Apopka and Wekiva......Sometimes scores might not tell the whole truth....

Here is the box scores 

Lee County 

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/contest/default.aspx?contestid=3d84755b-9b6a-4e51-ba0e-8cc62d408865&ssid=c3d47049-daf2-47e3-8a8e-1e4552d8a797#tab=box-score&schoolid=

West Orange

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/contest/default.aspx?contestid=64c9c8f9-0962-4082-b32e-798153cf34bc&ssid=c3d47049-daf2-47e3-8a8e-1e4552d8a797#tab=box-score&schoolid=

Apopka 

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/contest/default.aspx?contestid=9481e5dc-21d4-4fa2-9a8c-49d97d661d2e&ssid=c3d47049-daf2-47e3-8a8e-1e4552d8a797#tab=box-score&schoolid=

Mainland

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/contest/default.aspx?contestid=8d04df68-1825-4367-81e0-40f21eded8fe&ssid=c3d47049-daf2-47e3-8a8e-1e4552d8a797#tab=box-score&schoolid=

Wekiva 

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/contest/default.aspx?contestid=5809397d-7096-4270-969d-164a550e2949&ssid=c3d47049-daf2-47e3-8a8e-1e4552d8a797#tab=box-score&schoolid=

All these teams including Lee County actually didn't have too much of a big lead over Dr Phillips at halftime which is pretty good, a schedule like this could kill you or make you a tough opponent for the playoffs.....

Bad Bird and I probably disagree on this, but my take on DP is that they are real down this year. If they beat Centennial and you get DP at home and they beat VB at their place, then VB was not a contender to begin with and once again benefited from a relatively soft schedule. 

Not sure why you say what you did about their game with Apopka. However, except for a brief period early in the third quarter when they scored, they were never in the game and did not look like the DP I am used to. Usually, DP vs Apopka games are within a touchdown either way. This time the final DP vs Apopka score was an accurate reflection of the two teams that night. 

Since you're using box scores as a basis for making a point, let me point out that Dr Phillips finished as a 6th seed without the benefit of its District Championship in region 2. The combined record of the teams Dr Phillips beat to claim their District Championship was 12-28, hardly stellar competition. They obviously belonged in the playoffs based on the District title, and its over-all seeding based on the FHSAA point system, but I wouldn't look to Dr Phillips to pose an immediate threat to Vero Beach should they meet in week 2 of the playoffs this season.

2 hours ago, FL_HS_football said:

Since you're using box scores as a basis for making a point, let me point out that Dr Phillips finished as a 6th seed without the benefit of its District Championship in region 2. The combined record of the teams Dr Phillips beat to claim their District Championship was 12-28, hardly stellar competition. They obviously belonged in the playoffs based on the District title, and its over-all seeding based on the FHSAA point system, but I wouldn't look to Dr Phillips to pose an immediate threat to Vero Beach should they meet in week 2 of the playoffs this season.

A close friend of mine taught me bout box scores he warned me that people won't see it that way and of course Dr Phillips should take out their district lol that was easy......

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Bad Bird and I probably disagree on this, but my take on DP is that they are real down this year. If they beat Centennial and you get DP at home and they beat VB at their place, then VB was not a contender to begin with and once again benefited from a relatively soft schedule. 

Not sure why you say what you did about their game with Apopka. However, except for a brief period early in the third quarter when they scored, they were never in the game and did not look like the DP I am used to. Usually, DP vs Apopka games are within a touchdown either way. This time the final DP vs Apopka score was an accurate reflection of the two teams that night. 

Dr Phillips is down and I mentioned that but they did atleast hold y'all off in the first half of the game tho being down 14-0 at halftime ain't bad but y'all did run away with em in the second half 

9 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

Dr Phillips is down and I mentioned that but they did atleast hold y'all off in the first half of the game tho being down 14-0 at halftime ain't bad but y'all did run away with em in the second half 

If you had been at the game and seen what I saw, you would not be worried about DP. In fact, you would want them to beat Centennial who gave you trouble in the regular season. 

Being an inexperienced team, Centennial may lose Friday. However, if they play up to the form they showed against VB, they should win. 

53 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If you had been at the game and seen what I saw, you would not be worried about DP. In fact, you would want them to beat Centennial who gave you trouble in the regular season. 

Being an inexperienced team, Centennial may lose Friday. However, if they play up to the form they showed against VB, they should win. 

Yea 8a is a puzzle every year

DP is down.  They were down last year and won a state title.  They have very little depth on defense this year and offensively they have no QB.  However if healthy they can be dangerous.  I wouldn't write them off.  They have moved Powell to wildcat QB and are scoring more lately granted against lesser teams.  They did beat Oak Ridge 35-18.  Apopka just beat Oak Ridge 26-10. 

I don't think they match up vs physical teams this year because they are young in the lines.  if Vero is physical they will win.  If not DP is dangerous.  DP must get past a good Centennial team first.

13 hours ago, badbird said:

DP is down.  They were down last year and won a state title.  They have very little depth on defense this year and offensively they have no QB.  However if healthy they can be dangerous.  I wouldn't write them off.  They have moved Powell to wildcat QB and are scoring more lately granted against lesser teams.  They did beat Oak Ridge 35-18.  Apopka just beat Oak Ridge 26-10. 

I don't think they match up vs physical teams this year because they are young in the lines.  if Vero is physical they will win.  If not DP is dangerous.  DP must get past a good Centennial team first.

This is part of the reason I can see Dp making it to the third round. I watched Centennial vs Bishop Moore and some Vero Beach games on Youtube. Both teams did not look very physical in the trenches, the only two teams that I think could match DPs physicallity are on the other side Treasure Coast and Osceola (have not seen riverview play).

3 minutes ago, ohs vargas said:

This is part of the reason I can see Dp making it to the third round. I watched Centennial vs Bishop Moore and some Vero Beach games on Youtube. Both teams did not look very physical in the trenches, the only two teams that I think could match DPs physicallity are on the other side Treasure Coast and Osceola (have not seen riverview play).

You are correct, Treasure Coast is very big and physical, and neither Vero nor Centennial have the physicality that they do.

But Treasure Coast was beaten by both of them this season, so maybe both can matchup with DP also. 

3 hours ago, Drogo said:

You are correct, Treasure Coast is very big and physical, and neither Vero nor Centennial have the physicality that they do.

But Treasure Coast was beaten by both of them this season, so maybe both can matchup with DP also. 

Would not surprise me if Dr Phillips beat us at home, Vero was undefeated when Venice a 5 loss team beat em in the playoffs 

20 hours ago, Drogo said:

Yes at the end of the day its all about match-ups. 

But DP defense to me is a better match-up against Vero & Centennial then TCs defense is. 

7 hours ago, Floridatech said:

So you think they can contain Vero offense better than Treasure Coast's 

I feel it all depends how the game starts, Dp is a team that is big on momentum. If there offense gets going early there, Defense will feed off of it and play good enough to contain Vero. As bad as they have been playing, they still have a solid physical D and if they can get enough pressure then i see them winning.

26 minutes ago, ohs vargas said:

I feel it all depends how the game starts, Dp is a team that is big on momentum. If there offense gets going early there, Defense will feed off of it and play good enough to contain Vero. As bad as they have been playing, they still have a solid physical D and if they can get enough pressure then i see them winning.

I'm not counting them out at all in fact I could see them pullin off back to back wins against Cen10 and Vero, then I'll know they foreal bout defending their state title, TBH they have more recent playoff experience than both teams 

6 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

I'm not counting them out at all in fact I could see them pullin off back to back wins against Cen10 and Vero, then I'll know they foreal bout defending their state title, TBH they have more recent playoff experience than both teams 

If the 2018 version of DP pulls off back to back wins against Centennial and Vero Beach, it will be because those two teams are greatly overrated and were not going to be an 8A threat, period. 

Even if DP accomplishes the above, their season will end the following week. Look for DP to be strong again next year. This year is more or less a lost cause as far as a State Title run is concerned. 

31 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If the 2018 version of DP pulls off back to back wins against Centennial and Vero Beach, it will be because those two teams are greatly overrated and were not going to be an 8A threat, period. 

Even if DP accomplishes the above, their season will end the following week. Look for DP to be strong again next year. This year is more or less a lost cause as far as a State Title run is concerned. 

Agree 100%. They will be extremely good next year but they aren’t winning a title this year. 

Almost too much to say here.

DP is extremely young but talented. The QB and both lines (as identified above) have been inconsistent. The specific achilles heel has been 3-and-outs. Teams have simply scored with short fields on DP.

DP has imploded when they’ve gone down by 10-14 points four times, with the lone exception being the West Orange game. The worst game of the season was Apopka. That result does not fit their overall regular season trend. DP was down 14-7 in the 3rd but lost in a blowout. 

In terms of the playoffs, we’ll see. DP may have already faced 5 teams in the regular season that could win 8A Region 2. Look at their schedule and decide for yourself. They could be 10-0 or 9-1 with Edgewater’s schedule.

We have two critical data points to look at in regard to DP in 8A Region 2. Bishop Moore blew out Centennial and Centennial is in a parity bubble with Vero and Treasure Coast. Bishop Moore has not been a top tier CFla team and is probably in a parity bubble with DP.

Big data point #2 is the Kickoff Classic game, which for a half was starters only and very competitive. Osceola led 7-3 at the half.

-

Conclusion: I wouldn’t say DP is going to go far this year. One playoff win would be great and would extend the streak of years with a playoff win to 13 years. I am certain that the game results will he highly variable and will depend on which DP team shows up. 

Very few teams have had to play 2 teams at the level of Lee County and Wekiva. I don’t have a clue on this and its all speculation, but that game in Georgia may have had an impact on the next few weeks against TC, WO, APK, Mainland etc.

-

DP will return 10 on offense (plus 5 or so very good reserves) and about 5 or 6 on defense next year. The freshman class is very good, with Joe Joe Patti (QB) and Joanes Fortilien (WR) complementing at least 6-7 other potential D1 guys. This year they would have been a title contender if they just had a few extra guys at critical positions. Talent is there. 

Prediction: Powell twins could be a big difference in the playoffs.

11 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Bruh 8a run deep as hell, anything can happen......

Shit I'll give them a shot at Osceola too it ain't just us but should Vero be able to pin down a 5 lose team in the playoffs whose down at the citrus Bowl of course but I'm not taking them lightly too depends on what DP shows its just IMO 

10 hours ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Almost too much to say here.

DP is extremely young but talented. The QB and both lines (as identified above) have been inconsistent. The specific achilles heel has been 3-and-outs. Teams have simply scored with short fields on DP.

DP has imploded when they’ve gone down by 10-14 points four times, with the lone exception being the West Orange game. The worst game of the season was Apopka. That result does not fit their overall regular season trend. DP was down 14-7 in the 3rd but lost in a blowout. 

In terms of the playoffs, we’ll see. DP may have already faced 5 teams in the regular season that could win 8A Region 2. Look at their schedule and decide for yourself. They could be 10-0 or 9-1 with Edgewater’s schedule.

We have two critical data points to look at in regard to DP in 8A Region 2. Bishop Moore blew out Centennial and Centennial is in a parity bubble with Vero and Treasure Coast. Bishop Moore has not been a top tier CFla team and is probably in a parity bubble with DP.

Big data point #2 is the Kickoff Classic game, which for a half was starters only and very competitive. Osceola led 7-3 at the half.

-

Conclusion: I wouldn’t say DP is going to go far this year. One playoff win would be great and would extend the streak of years with a playoff win to 13 years. I am certain that the game results will he highly variable and will depend on which DP team shows up. 

Very few teams have had to play 2 teams at the level of Lee County and Wekiva. I don’t have a clue on this and its all speculation, but that game in Georgia may have had an impact on the next few weeks against TC, WO, APK, Mainland etc.

-

DP will return 10 on offense (plus 5 or so very good reserves) and about 5 or 6 on defense next year. The freshman class is very good, with Joe Joe Patti (QB) and Joanes Fortilien (WR) complementing at least 6-7 other potential D1 guys. This year they would have been a title contender if they just had a few extra guys at critical positions. Talent is there. 

Prediction: Powell twins could be a big difference in the playoffs.

So the Apopka game was close until Apopka put them away?

36 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

So the Apopka game was close until Apopka put them away?

Score wise it was early in the third quarter when DP scored. But in reality, DP sleepwalked through that game. Usually, DP/Apopka is a huge rivalry decided by a touchdown or less. The night of this game it was as if the ghost of DP showed up. 

I really can't explain what I saw any better. Pipe Dreams is close to the DP program and probably knows more if he is willing to share publicly. 

1 hour ago, Floridatech said:

Bruh 8a run deep as hell, anything can happen......

Shit I'll give them a shot at Osceola too it ain't just us but should Vero be able to pin down a 5 lose team in the playoffs whose down at the citrus Bowl of course but I'm not taking them lightly too depends on what DP shows its just IMO 

They do have a shot but I highly doubt this DP team goes to Osceola and beats them if they meet in 3rd round.

5 hours ago, Floridatech said:

I heard this Osceola team overrated,a friend of mine told me that 

Really, Osceola never gets enough credit in my eyes. This years team is no where near as strong as last years but I can see them  making a run based on having a better passing game than the years past and there Defense keeping them in games.