STA steamrolls 7a

Floridatech

15 minutes ago, gwdrum75 said:

Having watched Lakeland football for 30+ years, the ‘05 team is probably the closest team I would put to it. ‘04 & ‘06 were great teams, but ‘05 was just loaded, IMO. Now, having said that, I think the upper tier competition is better now that it was then as well. Recent STA teams would blow the ‘04 & ‘05 STA teams out of the water. 

Only one weakness concerns me about this year’s Lakeland team......we’ll see if it gets exposed in the coming weeks or not. ;)

My thoughts exactly.

There are two potential weaknesses IMO, assuming future offensive play-calling isn't really something we'll call a weakness yet.  I don't know what happened to Zay Roberson, but he'd be nice to have. 

1 hour ago, skyway said:

I read what DarterBlue has said about Lakeland. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, I'm pretty sure he thought last year's Lakeland team was better than this one. Once I read that, I started to question his judgement a good bit. There's simply no question this team is better. So, I'm not sure exactly what he's basing his opinion on. I have a couple of guesses, but I'm not sure.

More so his "agenda".

https://twitter.com/CountyPolk

I see no reason to believe he has any sort of agenda. I just gathered he wasn't doing a super elaborate analysis of the team. There are a couple of traits of the team which could lead some casual observers to not be as impressed. Early in the season, looking at a QB limited (injured) and not being very big, that could have caused such a reaction. And the best OL missed the Apopka game as well. On defense, the DL isn't super huge. If you're not watching line play closely, and don't realize how highly regarded all four of those players are, you might miss that they dominate everyone they play. And Apopka's style of play is really very unique and can also cause things to look differently than they would against other teams. 

None of it really matters though. If Lakeland bows out in the 3rd round again, nothing I say will be worth anything. And if they manage to win state I assume most will give them their due (save for maybe a few on the national board.)

10 hours ago, Floridatech said:

Naaaw prolly a 2016 repeat, I heard Venice was one of the weakest state participants last year,  Baker County I heard coulda stuck with y'all 

I don't do strength of teams and such due to everything settled on the field but damn, Weakest State Champ ? Seems a bit far reaching but ok whatever.

If Riverview moves on I'm sure Smithers and Peacock might catch up from old times. Nothing better than seeing a local team move on. 

Every class from 3A up will have Champ that can compete with any team in the state. 6A is likely the cream of the crop because of Carol City and Central. 7A is the deepest. 8A has a ton of parity. 5A has two very, very tough regions and each region has a very tough top tier. 3A and 4A lack the depth of the other big classes, but still have Chaminade, CCC (3A), Booker T, The U School, and Cocoa (4A).

2 hours ago, 941football said:

I don't do strength of teams and such due to everything settled on the field but damn, Weakest State Champ ? Seems a bit far reaching but ok whatever.

If Riverview moves on I'm sure Smithers and Peacock might catch up from old times. Nothing better than seeing a local team move on. 

Atleast y'all won states within 17 years ours is like 40 years old 

This is what I like about St Thomas this year.  Their offense does not have anyone with rock star stats...no 1000-yard rusher, no 4-star qb, no Michael Irvin at WR.  Some might point to that as holding them back, but their results do not reflect that.  38 vs Dematha, 38 vs Deerfield Beach, and 48 vs Miramar...that's very impressive for a team that at the beginning of the season I heard had no qb.  It likely has caused them to work as a team unit to be that successful.  They have had a lot of people touch the ball this year.  The qb has 19 passing TD's. Very important, he rarely makes mistakes, ie only 3 INT's in over 100 passing attempts.  

And unless a team is very balanced on offense,  they are going to have problems against STA's D.  How many teams out there have a balanced attack with that many weapons like that of Central's?  If a team goes one-dimensional, they have the tools on D to shut them down.

On 11/9/2018 at 4:53 PM, Floridatech said:

I have 7a like this.....

STA

Dwyer

Venice

Lakeland 

Columbia 

Viera 

Plant

After Dwyer no particular order all those teams can knock each other out on any night..... Besides MC scoring 44 on STA, nobody has scored double digits on STA this year.....

I'm definitely higher on Lakeland and Columbia at this point than some of the others.  I also think there are other teams like Lee and Braden River that I'd probably take over some on this list.  

48 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

This is what I like about St Thomas this year.  Their offense does not have anyone with rock star stats...no 1000-yard rusher, no 4-star qb, no Michael Irvin at WR.  Some might point to that as holding them back, but their results do not reflect that.  38 vs Dematha, 38 vs Deerfield Beach, and 48 vs Miramar...that's very impressive for a team that at the beginning of the season I heard had no qb.  It likely has caused them to work as a team unit to be that successful.  They have had a lot of people touch the ball this year.  The qb has 19 passing TD's. Very important, he rarely makes mistakes, ie only 3 INT's in over 100 passing attempts.  

And unless a team is very balanced on offense,  they are going to have problems against STA's D.  How many teams out there have a balanced attack with that many weapons like that of Central's?  If a team goes one-dimensional, they have the tools on D to shut them down.

They have many options as you said, but I will say Marcus Rosemy is really playing well.   He's a stud at WR.

7 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Based off of the offseason personnel they got and what they had I knew STA would be tough to beat. They don't like losing much less to a team that they had the year before kicked the piss out of. STA at home as it has been said before makes the south region theirs to lose. 

As a Venice fan that was hard to type but I see it the way it is. Can STA be beat, sure just not going to be easy. Look at the teams who have had success and compare them to what is out there now. 

8 minutes ago, 941football said:

Based off of the offseason personnel they got and what they had I knew STA would be tough to beat. They don't like losing much less to a team that they had the year before kicked the piss out of. STA at home as it has been said before makes the south region theirs to lose. 

As a Venice fan that was hard to type but I see it the way it is. Can STA be beat, sure just not going to be easy. Look at the teams who have had success and compare them to what is out there now. 

Of course anyone can be beat,  the question is will their be a 7a team that beats them 

I see a few teams above capable of pulling it off but it will take everything they got to pull it off and STA will be favored in the games

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Fine with me

I just want to be in Orlando, whether we have to beat STA, Dwyer or Venice 

It don't matter to me,  btw is there something specific on Venice that you think they match up well with STA? 

Best thing going for Venice is they do a masterful job of taking advantage of every possible exploit with their offensive scheming and play calling. Spread, up-tempo, QB runs, screens, inherent likelihood of refs calling defensive PI on 50-50 balls. Those are all "equalizers" that allow them to score a ton of points even if they are at a talent disadvantage.  

6 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Fine with me

I just want to be in Orlando, whether we have to beat STA, Dwyer or Venice 

It don't matter to me,  btw is there something specific on Venice that you think they match up well with STA? 

Columbia vs Venice would be THE match to see!

The runningback is lightning quick and has break-away speed

Venice has a good passing scheme that will keep them in the game in terms of points

19 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Columbia vs Venice would be THE match to see!

The runningback is lightning quick and has break-away speed

Venice has a good passing scheme that will keep them in the game in terms of points

What key players were missing for Venice in the spring game in May? Lakeland was missing 4* RB Bowman, 4* OT Hammond, 4*DE Summerall, 3* DB Graham and two other players currently starting on the OL.