Venice 59 Tampa Bay Tech 23

VeniceIndianFan

I was expecting Tampa Bay to put up a much better fight considering the fact that they beat Armwood. Let’s take a look at the rest of Venice’s playoff games...

Braden River next week

Then the winner of Palmetto vs Bloomingdale

After that collision with Saint Thomas Aquinas

States game

Any thoughts on this? Anyone think Venice can win states again?

3 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

I was expecting Tampa Bay to put up a much better fight considering the fact that they beat Armwood. Let’s take a look at the rest of Venice’s playoff games...

Braden River next week

States game

Who knows? If you do, you will have to get through a better St. Thomas team, and Lakeland or one of several very good Region 1 teams including Columbia, Lee and/or Edgewater in the state title game. 

Last year Venice had a  OL that was beyond being just big and strong..................I just thought it was incredibly mature OL. The game against STA last year was one of those few times that STA was completely dominated at the line of scrimmage........particularly by the Venice OL. Venice also a QB that was a punishing runner, who could also carry the ball 20+ times. I know Venice used a transfer QB for its jumbo package against Manatee, but he is no Carpenter by any means, nor is the Venice OL any where as close to being as good as last year's OL..............................so I see the STA game for Venice being the end of the road for Venice, because STA will do what it does typically to public school football teams...............over whelm teams with talent.

I just wasn't all that impressed with Lakeland beyond Bowman, take Bowman out of the equation and Lakeland struggles to make it out of the northern region. Lakeland as a team just doesn't impress me, Bowman however is a huge difference maker for them..............again though I think STA overwhelms Lakeland with its over-all talent. 

11 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Braden River next week

States game

Tech was a pretty flawed team. When they were hitting on all cylinders they were pretty good. But they lost to Bdale, Plant City, and Gaither down the stretch. Seemed to have lost their fire. Far too inconsistent to beat a team like Venice this year.

15 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Tech was a pretty flawed team. When they were hitting on all cylinders they were pretty good. But they lost to Bdale, Plant City, and Gaither down the stretch. Seemed to have lost their fire. Far too inconsistent to beat a team like Venice this year.

Do you think Venice has a chance to beat STA on the road this year? 

Probably not this year. The only way to beat a team like STA is to dominate the lines and time of possession. Not sure Venice can do that to them. They lack the athletes of Miami Central, but they will certainly get to that game. I think they beat BR and then handle by 17 the winner of Palmetto or Bloomingdale.

2 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Do you think Venice has a chance to beat STA on the road this year? 

STA has won their last 31 playoff games at home.  They have not lost a home playoff game since 2003.  Over the past 15 years, the 4 years the Raiders did not make the state final, they lost on the road...

2017 Venice state semi

2013 Dwyer regional final

2011 Dwyer regional final

2009 Manatee state semi

LIke it or not, the old system likely gave some teams a better chance to beat favored teams by allowing them a home playoff game in certain years.  

I liked the concept of rotating the home games each year, at least for the region title and semi-final games............. Manatee did manage to take STA to double OT at STA in 2006...............was a game Manatee pretty much led the entire game, but allowed STA to tie near the end of regulation and then take in OT................

18 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Braden River next week

States game

TBT was not the same team that started the year. 

Have to get through a pissed off BR team again. Toughest thing to do with 16-17-18 yr old kids is to beat a team twice. While Venice has had BR number it will again be tough to do. Being at Home is a huge plus.

Focus 1 week at a time. Lose this week clean out your locker on Monday. That should be the only focus. If you are lucky enough to keep playing then so be it. 

7 hours ago, 941football said:

What is it that makes this team different? I have never seen a team that came out of that 3 team district do well in the playoffs. I will add Riverdale to that mix. 

Venice will have a hard test against the Palmetto vs Bloomingdale winner I can promise you that

7 hours ago, 941football said:

What is it that makes this team different? I have never seen a team that came out of that 3 team district do well in the playoffs. I will add Riverdale to that mix. 

I don't know. But just looking at their record against the teams they played, I am pretty sure this is their best team ever. 

Perhaps recent coaching changes? Perhaps with the relaxation in the rules, they got some transfers in?