Could the Noles & the Canes Both Miss Bowl Games?

OldSchoolLion

With the Canes loss to GA Tech last night, a scenario is coming into that play that is hard to believe...a year in which neither the Canes nor the Noles make a bowl game.  That has not happened since 1981.  The Noles would have to win both of their remaining games against Boston College and the Gators to be bowl eligible.  The Noles will likely be substantial underdogs in each.  Their defense has given up 148 points in their last 3 games...difficult to believe.  And last night Notre Dame routed them with a backup qb.  BC went blow for blow last night against Clemson and is a very tough team. 

The Canes would have to win one of their remaining 2 games against VA Tech and Pitt to be bowl eligible.  They'll certainly be underdogs against Pitt, who crushed the Hokies yesterday.  The Canes are 3-8 vs the Hokies when playing in Blacksburg over the past 25 years.  The Hokies have won 4 of the past 5 meetings there.  Giving them extra motivation is the fact that they have yet to beat an FBS team at home this year, and am sure their fans are putting pressure on them for such a win this year.    

I thought the Taggart hire was a huge mistake, and felt his last year he was at USF had more to do with his HS coach working as a insightful whisper in his ear that season, than anything Taggart did individually as a coach. Lot of folks don't realize Kinnan was with  Taggart that last year at USF as well as forget that Kinnan was a highly successful OC at the collegiate level that saw those teams win a National Champ and finish runner up before coming to Manatee. Take that one highly successful season away from Taggart and you have yourself a coach with an over-all record at the college level of 41-52, as it is even if you throw in that successful 10-2 season at USF his over-all record is still a losing one at 51-54.

The one thing Taggart does well is recruit, and I still believe the long term plan at FSU was to bring in Taggart to tame the dumpster fire that Fisher left behind at FSU and to keep the talent pool at FSU somewhat reasonable for the next hire when Taggart is finally let go.

26 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

I thought the Taggart hire was a huge mistake, and felt his last year he was at USF had more to do with his HS coach working as a insightful whisper in his ear that season, than anything Taggart did individually as a coach. Lot of folks don't realize Kinnan was with  Taggart that last year at USF as well as forget that Kinnan was a highly successful OC at the collegiate level that saw those teams win a National Champ and finish runner up before coming to Manatee. Take that one highly successful season away from Taggart and you have yourself a coach with an over-all record at the college level of 41-52, as it is even if you throw in that successful 10-2 season at USF his over-all record is still a losing one at 51-54.

The one thing Taggart does well is recruit, and I still believe the long term plan at FSU was to bring in Taggart to tame the dumpster fire that Fisher left behind at FSU and to keep the talent pool at FSU somewhat reasonable for the next hire when Taggart is finally let go.

It's sad how some of the talented FL kids go OOS and thrive.  Last night I was flipping channels between games and happened to catch Shaun Shivers(from Chaminade last year) break off a 30-yard run against Georgia.  The coaching staff at Auburn has publicly praised his work ethic and toughness, and he is contributing there as a true freshman.  So is Anthony Schwarz of AH Plantation.  Shivers was recognized as a leader at his high school and that is what FSU and Miami are lacking, IMO.  No doubt they are getting kids with lots of talent, but some of their kids lack poise, especially as underclassmen.  In other words, it's the "type" of kid they are recruiting that I sometimes question.  Look at the track records of some of these kids at FSU and Miami in terms of off-the-field problems. 

15 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

In hind sight, got to agree with most of what you just said. Count me as being on the Taggart hire bandwagon. Sorry to say but the FSU sideline looks lost. They used up all the first half timeouts before entering the second quarter. The O-line is bad. The back seven on defense are confused, and the injured QB is scared and taking a beating. Nine games in and FSU is out. Who would have thunk it. Color me hurt, surprised, and dumbfounded.

Im a Gator fan, and you could say much the same about Florida.......................Auburn does a great job recruiting Florida as does Clemson......I hated seeing Chandler Cox leave the state, who is now at Auburn as well...............I looked to him being in the same mold as the Shivers kid you describe from a sound foundation standpoint. Mullen is having a particularly tough time getting his players at Florida to realize that the game of football requires a good amount of emotion........... and that talent only takes you so far.

1 minute ago, FL_HS_football said:

.I hated seeing Chandler Cox leave the state, who is now at Auburn as well...............I looked to him being in the same mold as the Shivers kid you describe from a sound foundation standpoint. Mullen is having a particularly tough time getting his players at Florida to realize that the game of football requires a good amount of emotion

Chan was a beast on the field and a leader off the field. One of Apopka's best over the past twenty years. I though he was going to follow Tez to Florida and was a little surprised he chose Auburn. 

Look at the some of the top senior offensive linemen from FL went last year.  Ironic we have IMG, but the kids from there are leaving the state.

Nicholas Petit-Frere/Berkeley Prep goes to Ohio St

William Barnes/Apopka goes to North Carolina

Daniel Faalele/IMG goes to Minnesota

Verdis Brown/IMG goes to Illinois

Reuben Unije/IMG goes to Illinois

Ed Montilus/Apopka goes to North Carolina

Nick Lewis/Bolles goes to Kentucky

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Look at the some of the top senior offensive linemen from FL went last year.  Ironic we have IMG, but the kids from there are leaving the state.

Nicholas Petit-Frere/Berkeley Prep goes to Ohio St

William Barnes/Apopka goes to North Carolina

Daniel Faalele/IMG goes to Minnesota

Verdis Brown/IMG goes to Illinois

Reuben Unije/IMG goes to Illinois

Ed Montilus/Apopka goes to North Carolina

Nick Lewis/Bolles goes to Kentucky

Im' not sure its an reasonable expectation for IMG kids to go to state schools? it was always my impression from a recruiting standpoint since that is what IMG does, that the IMG roster is made up with a high number of out of state kids?  

10 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

Im' not sure its an reasonable expectation for IMG kids to go to state schools? it was always my impression from a recruiting standpoint since that is what IMG does, that the IMG roster is made up with a high number of out of state kids?  

I understand.  I wonder how aggressively some of our state schools recruit at IMG, especially for line positions.  

The Canes have 4 starters on the OL from Florida.  The RG and RT are freshman and soph from Miami high schools.  FSU has a number of FL kids as well.  In today's college game, these kids need to be good-to-go in their freshman year, and they are not. FL is king for db's and wr's in high school, but line play/coaching in FL at the high school level in FL is suspect.  

These FL OL's dominate in high school with their mass/speed, but in college they are facing kids with equal or better mass/speed.  I have seen the Canes and Noles OL's get absolutely owned this year, at times.  

They are not attracting the better lineman from outside FL.  FSU has 2 linemen who were likely considered "leftovers" in Georgia.  Texas produces some great linemen.  How many Texas linemen do you see coming to UM or FSU?

Look at the OL of University of Wisconsin.  They have 3 kids from Wisconsin, 1 from OH and 1 from IL.  Some of those kids are probably not the most naturally gifted/athletic, but their fundamental play is light years ahead of Florida.  And FL is also missing out on some great RB's from states like NJ/PA.  Those kids are staying put or going to the Midwest.

FL may be one of the best hs recruiting spots in the nation, but that does not mean one can build a complete team off of it to compete in the NCAA today.  Raw talent could win in years past, but not today.  Schools like Pitt and Duke have caught up to the FL universities through their recruiting practices.  I am afraid the game's over for FSU and UM.  They put their eggs in one basket and it's time to face the consequences.  

16 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The Canes have 4 starters on the OL from Florida.  The RG and RT are freshman and soph from Miami high schools.  FSU has a number of FL kids as well.  In today's college game, these kids need to be good-to-go in their freshman year, and they are not. FL is king for db's and wr's in high school, but line play/coaching in FL at the high school level in FL is suspect.  

These FL OL's dominate in high school with their mass/speed, but in college they are facing kids with equal or better mass/speed.  I have seen the Canes and Noles OL's get absolutely owned this year, at times.  

They are not attracting the better lineman from outside FL.  FSU has 2 linemen who were likely considered "leftovers" in Georgia.  Texas produces some great linemen.  How many Texas linemen do you see coming to UM or FSU?

Look at the OL of University of Wisconsin.  They have 3 kids from Wisconsin, 1 from OH and 1 from IL.  Some of those kids are probably not the most naturally gifted/athletic, but their fundamental play is light years ahead of Florida.  And FL is also missing out on some great RB's from states like NJ/PA.  Those kids are staying put or going to the Midwest.

FL may be one of the best hs recruiting spots in the nation, but that does not mean one can build a complete team off of it to compete in the NCAA today.  Raw talent could win in years past, but not today.  Schools like Pitt and Duke have caught up to the FL universities through their recruiting practices.  I am afraid the game's over for FSU and UM.  They put their eggs in one basket and it's time to face the consequences.  

I've always been drawn to OL play, and when I was still in Florida, I always spent my time at Manatee's Practice with the OL and coach Peebles. During that time Manatee was still a deep I set and ran the triple option offensively, which typically required the OL fire out and attack. Ive not been able to attend any practices since Manatee's gone to the spread, but try to catch at least 2 games a year by making the trip to Bradenton and then watch online. I've noted countless times this season when focusing on the OL, too many instance where the Manatee offensive linemen miss their assignments, because they don't fire out and attack but rather wait for the defensive lineman to come to them before engaging? In all honesty I haven't taken the time to read up on the spread philosophy particularly as it related to the OL.......but you might be on too something "old school" in as far as the questions you've raised about the coaching with the kids coming from Florida and OL play.............

On 11/11/2018 at 9:25 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

With the Canes loss to GA Tech last night, a scenario is coming into that play that is hard to believe...a year in which neither the Canes nor the Noles make a bowl game.  That has not happened since 1981.  The Noles would have to win both of their remaining games against Boston College and the Gators to be bowl eligible.  The Noles will likely be substantial underdogs in each.  Their defense has given up 148 points in their last 3 games...difficult to believe.  And last night Notre Dame routed them with a backup qb.  BC went blow for blow last night against Clemson and is a very tough team. 

The Canes would have to win one of their remaining 2 games against VA Tech and Pitt to be bowl eligible.  They'll certainly be underdogs against Pitt, who crushed the Hokies yesterday.  The Canes are 3-8 vs the Hokies when playing in Blacksburg over the past 25 years.  The Hokies have won 4 of the past 5 meetings there.  Giving them extra motivation is the fact that they have yet to beat an FBS team at home this year, and am sure their fans are putting pressure on them for such a win this year.    

Well we held up our end of the bargain long enough LOL... All good things come to an end. 

On 11/11/2018 at 10:18 AM, OldSchoolLion said:

It's sad how some of the talented FL kids go OOS and thrive.  Last night I was flipping channels between games and happened to catch Shaun Shivers(from Chaminade last year) break off a 30-yard run against Georgia.  The coaching staff at Auburn has publicly praised his work ethic and toughness, and he is contributing there as a true freshman.  So is Anthony Schwarz of AH Plantation.  Shivers was recognized as a leader at his high school and that is what FSU and Miami are lacking, IMO.  No doubt they are getting kids with lots of talent, but some of their kids lack poise, especially as underclassmen.  In other words, it's the "type" of kid they are recruiting that I sometimes question.  Look at the track records of some of these kids at FSU and Miami in terms of off-the-field problems. 

Your absolutely right except it is not even the off field problems... The kids are fricking Divas and superstar wannabes they are not hungry and they are soft... Oh yeah they are quitters.

4 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

Your absolutely right except it is not even the off field problems... The kids are fricking Divas and superstar wannabes they are not hungry and they are soft... Oh yeah they are quitters.

I think the FL kids who go to a Big 10 school, for instance, are out of their comfort zone because the culture in some of those places is much different than the FL schools and Florida in general. And that likely results in them conducting themselves with a bit more caution. Just like when one of us visits a foreign country, we tend to be a bit more reserved concerning our behavior.