Plant @ Viera

181pl

Making this thread so Bama Rod can either gloat about how great Viera is if they beat Plant or whine about how they got robbed if they lose...

Pinkos says Viera by 10. My first impression after last week also said Viera by 7-10. But only time will tell. If Plant starts slow, they'll lose. If they start fast, they'll win. Plain and simple. 

Very different teams.

They are much more of a power running team this year. They don't throw the ball particularly well for a Plant team, and this concerns me. It's not that they are incapable, but it's just not the offense they've run. A lot of Wilbon and a lot of Gleason. Overall, the offense is probably better, but not as diverse.

Defense is a slight step down. If last year was 8.5 on defense, this year is about a 7.5.  They are very capable, just not quite as consistent.

Special teams is about the same. What concerned me last game is that the kicker wasn't hitting the end zone on kickoffs. Don't know if this was by design or inability.

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

Very different teams.

They are much more of a power running team this year. They don't throw the ball particularly well for a Plant team, and this concerns me. It's not that they are incapable, but it's just not the offense they've run. A lot of Wilbon and a lot of Gleason. Overall, the offense is probably better, but not as diverse.

Defense is a slight step down. If last year was 8.5 on defense, this year is about a 7.5.  They are very capable, just not quite as consistent.

Special teams is about the same. What concerned me last game is that the kicker wasn't hitting the end zone on kickoffs. Don't know if this was by design or inability.

Like most Lakeland people, I'm pulling for Plant to win Friday! Kind of dread seeing the Plant name on the playoff schedule on one hand, but on the other we need to make up for past losses. I think this is the best defense we've ever had, but if it ends up being a shootout of any kind, it's hard to have faith that we'll be able to get it done on offense based on past encounters with Plant. You guys have kept our offense in check for the most part every time we've played with Weiner as coach. Last year I felt like we got too cute and should've just kept pounding Bowman and mixing in vertical routes.

2 minutes ago, skyway said:

Like most Lakeland people, I'm pulling for Plant to win Friday! Kind of dread seeing the Plant name on the playoff schedule on one hand, but on the other we need to make up for past losses. I think this is the best defense we've ever had, but if it ends up being a shootout of any kind, it's hard to have faith that we'll be able to get it done on offense based on past encounters with Plant. You guys have kept our offense in check for the most part every time we've played with Weiner as coach. Last year I felt like we got too cute and should've just kept pounding Bowman and mixing in vertical routes.

The biggest difference this year is the running threat at QB for Lakeland. The last 3 years, there was no running threat at QB. So, if the passing game wasn’t there (and it generally wasn’t at the end of the year) it was a one dimensional hand off to the running back offense. Luckily, there have been great running backs.....but having that QB threat has made a huge difference in the 2nd half of this season. 

1 minute ago, gwdrum75 said:

The biggest difference this year is the running threat at QB for Lakeland. The last 3 years, there was no running threat at QB. So, if the passing game wasn’t there (and it generally wasn’t at the end of the year) it was a one dimensional hand off to the running back offense. Luckily, there have been great running backs.....but having that QB threat has made a huge difference in the 2nd half of this season. 

Yes, it could help if McWilliams continues to threaten defenses (like he couldn't the first few weeks). My fear is that, as we've seen in recent years, the passing game and inability/unwillingness to change plays at the LOS will prove to limit what Lakeland can do on offense. I really hope they start to utilize Zipperer more in these upcoming games. They run stretch a ton and are awesome at it, but I can only remember once or twice that they ran PA off of it. Hopefully it will be ready for Plant, who figures to load up to stop the run.

2 minutes ago, skyway said:

Yes, it could help if McWilliams continues to threaten defenses (like he couldn't the first few weeks). My fear is that, as we've seen in recent years, the passing game and inability/unwillingness to change plays at the LOS will prove to limit what Lakeland can do on offense. I really hope they start to utilize Zipperer more in these upcoming games. They run stretch a ton and are awesome at it, but I can only remember once or twice that they ran PA off of it. Hopefully it will be ready for Plant, who figures to load up to stop the run.

Zipperer needs 7-8 targets a game or more. I agree he is way under utilized. 

2 minutes ago, gwdrum75 said:

Zipperer needs 7-8 targets a game or more. I agree he is way under utilized. 

It is hard to gauge this season, with so many big plays putting games away so quickly. Punt block TDs, defensive TDs (or recoveries at the opponents 2 yard line) and big runs from Bowman make it hard to target others in the passing game. But, I was disappointed in the lack of progression in the passing game the last few seasons. They're going to need more than the WR quick screen and vertical routes to win 7A IMO. 

9 hours ago, skyway said:

Yes, it could help if McWilliams continues to threaten defenses (like he couldn't the first few weeks). My fear is that, as we've seen in recent years, the passing game and inability/unwillingness to change plays at the LOS will prove to limit what Lakeland can do on offense. I really hope they start to utilize Zipperer more in these upcoming games. They run stretch a ton and are awesome at it, but I can only remember once or twice that they ran PA off of it. Hopefully it will be ready for Plant, Viera who figures to load up to stop the run.

Fixed it for you.

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Why overuse him if you  didn't need him.  Have a feeling Zip gets a lot more action in the post season.   

Agree. Think hel’ll see a little more action once they get into tougher competition. I’d just like to see it add another dimension to the offense, which it could. His size just makes a huge difference in pulling down the ball (see catch @ Apopka). 

12 hours ago, gwdrum75 said:

Agree. Think hel’ll see a little more action once they get into tougher competition. I’d just like to see it add another dimension to the offense, which it could. His size just makes a huge difference in pulling down the ball (see catch @ Apopka). 

Yeah man 3rd and long big target when needed.   

Being from Brevard I chose attending this game over the Rockledge vs American Heritage game to see if Plant would pull the same shenanigans as last year. 

Though a Brevard County team didn’t win...I was pleasantly surprised Plant played them straight up without shady tactics and really demolished Viera in the second half. Hats off to them

6 minutes ago, Seminole44 said:

Being from Brevard I chose attending this game over the Rockledge vs American Heritage game to see if Plant would pull the same shenanigans as last year. 

Though a Brevard County team didn’t win...I was pleasantly surprised Plant played them straight up without shady tactics and really demolished Viera in the second half. Hats off to them

Shouldn't have been much of a surprise. It wasn't to me once I started watching the stream. Give Viera's coaches and kids a TON of credit. THAT team one eight games and a playoff game. Remarkable. But, no surprise a legendary playoff program waxed them. 

You missed what I was saying...I was pleasantly surprised they played them straight up without shady tactics NOT surprised they won.

Last year I attended this matchup without much care who won and was disgusted by the fake cramps play after play to slow The Viera offense. Being the only game I’d seen of Plants...I assumed that was just part of their game plan. Much more respect this year ✊ 

4 minutes ago, Seminole44 said:

You missed what I was saying...I was pleasantly surprised they played them straight up without shady tactics NOT surprised they won.

Last year I attended this matchup without much care who won and was disgusted by the fake cramps play after play to slow The Viera offense. Being the only game I’d seen of Plants...I assumed that was just part of their game plan. Much more respect this year ✊ 

Well, my understanding is Viera's press box blared music all night over the loud speakers all game. Sounds like you had a couple of political campaigns doing their thing.

1 minute ago, skyway said:

Well, my understanding is Viera's press box blared music all night over the loud speakers all game. Sounds like you had a couple of political campaigns doing their thing.

Blah blah blah. I was a neutral spectator. I saw what I saw. It was clear. Fake cramps for one play come back in fine. Had no negative assumptions about Plant going into that game last year. No politics. Yes Vieras press box screwed up.

Plant has to be the favorite vs. Lakeland again. They've won the last two years and Weiner is four for five vs. Castle. Save for a couple deep balls in 2015, Lakeland's offense has generally done very little against Plant. Last year, they COULD have done much more. Bowman and vertical routes were very hard for Plant to stop, but Castle over thought things and tried too much cute stuff his players weren't as comfortable with. If this Kathleen game is any indication of the game plan for Plant-mostly shotgun, TE split out-forget it. It'll be 2009 all over again.