Apopka at Wekiva

DarterBlue2

For one of the first times in recent memory Apopka goes into a game an overwhelming underdog. No we are not always the favorite, but even when not favored, we are usually a live underdog. Well in this game, Apopka is not given much of a chance by those knowledgeable of Florida High School Football. I wish I could say, that they were all wrong, but must admit they are right, at least based on recent form over the latter half of the season, and on the dominant way Wekiva won the first outing a few weeks ago, Wekiva deserves to be the big favorite. 

Even I must admit that Apopka's paths to victory are limited. However, they are not nonexistent. I believe there is a way. 

To win this game, certain obvious things will need to happen. Paramount among them are the need to minimize mistakes, and get the running game in gear early. However, to win, I feel Apopka will have to do more. Unless we can find (on our bench) one of: Steve Baylark/Chandler Cox/ or perhaps, Tom Smith, as well as two of, Jeremy Gallon, Jacoryan Davis-Hamilton, Jeremy Wright, Tamaki Jackson, Alan Abrams, Jevric Blocker or Antwan Coley, the team will have to establish a consistent passing game in addition to running the football. For, we don't currently have the explosiveness nor an offensive line complete enough to do it on the ground alone. 

With that said, I think Jackson Darlington will have to have the game of his career. He will have to find open men consistently whether via slants, pitches or deeper balls. He will have to show enough dexterity and fleetness of foot to keep drives alive when the line breaks down. Absent that, I really don't see Apopka being able to score at least the 21 points they will need to have a shot at winning. 

On the defensive side of the ball, the front seven will need to have a West Orange equivalent game. They cannot allow the Wekiva QB to have a lot of time to find his receivers and they must stop the running backs at the line of scrimmage early and often.  

Can this be done? Yes, but it is asking a lot. 

All I can realistically ask of this Darters team is that the fight from the very beginning to the end of the game. In the fist effort against Wekiva, particularly in the second half, effort was missing. That loss stung mostly because it was right up there with the other two worst losses to my way of thinking in the 20 seasons I have been a fan, namely, a 2003 loss against East Ridge when the kids quit in the second half, and the 2011 playoff loss against Timber Creek. 

A loss Friday is digestible if the Apopka team fights to the end. Another loss similar to the regular season one, is not reflective of what it is to be a Blue Darter. 

Remember the team motto: Hoka Hey!!

Offensively they can't turn it over and give Wekiva short fields.  To score they have to stay away from third and long and they have to be able to complete a few passes on early downs.  

Defensively they need a different plan than the first game or execute it way better.  They can't allow Wekiva easy touchdowns by getting beat deep.  They must force Wekiva into third and mediums.  

Special teams has to be special.  You can't give up anything and you really need special teams to set up a score for you.

If you get Wekiva to press they will make mistakes.  They are front runners.  If Apopka can make something good happen early and put pressure on Wekiva they have a chance.  If not it will be a repeat of a few weeks ago.  I expect a much better game this time around.

I would have thought the playoff losses to Manatee, when Jerrimie Rudolph was at QB, would rank right up there as bitter losses? I was at 2 of the 3 games. I know I went into the 1st of those 3 classics thinking Apopka was going to kill Manatee in 1992. Apopka had made Sarasota look like a JV team the week before for the 1st round of the playoffs, while Manatee won what I deemed a comfortable victory over Dixie Hollins in its 1st round playoff game. As I remember Apopka was winning games by an average of 30+ points, so yeah I wasn't looking favorably for a Manatee win. Manatee however jumped on Apopka early and stymied Rudolph for much of the game and won comfortably that evening, Manatee went on to win the state title.

5 hours ago, FL_HS_football said:

I would have thought the playoff losses to Manatee, when Jerrimie Rudolph was at QB, would rank right up there as bitter losses? I was at 2 of the 3 games. I know I went into the 1st of those 3 classics thinking Apopka was going to kill Manatee in 1992. Apopka had made Sarasota look like a JV team the week before for the 1st round of the playoffs, while Manatee won what I deemed a comfortable victory over Dixie Hollins in its 1st round playoff game. As I remember Apopka was winning games by an average of 30+ points, so yeah I wasn't looking favorably for a Manatee win. Manatee however jumped on Apopka early and stymied Rudolph for much of the game and won comfortably that evening, Manatee went on to win the state title.

I was not a high school football fan back then. I started watching the game in 1998, the year before my older son began high school. Not debating your argument though. I am sure those were bitter losses for Apopka fans. 

Apopka came up short losing 28-7. Despite the score, the defense played a lot better but got worn down in the second half. Unfortunately, the offense did not have enough spark to move the ball consistently against the strong Wekiva defense. This put the defense in bad positions most of the night. 

Good win by Wekiva. If they can get by Mandarin the day after Thanksgiving, and this is by no means a certainty, they should make the State Title game. 

We will see what happens.