FL_HS_football

Josh,

Josh Wilson
Digital Media Representative
Florida High School Football
P.O. Box 141601
Gainesville, FL 32614
Term Expires: June 2020

I noted your name and contact information on the FHSAA media advisory committee listing you as a committee member. I have a question about schools streaming playoff games, understanding championship games are handled differently. Many schools stream regular season contests, but my local high school is indicating FHSAA rules prevent them from streaming playoff games. My question stems from noting last week as well as this weeks round 2 games, multiple instance of games being streamed all over the state (all classifications). Why would my local High school indicate FHSAA rules prevent them from streaming, when I note other schools from all over the state in fact streaming FHSAA playoff games?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, FL_HS_football said:

Josh,

Josh Wilson
Digital Media Representative
Florida High School Football
P.O. Box 141601
Gainesville, FL 32614
Term Expires: June 2020

I noted your name and contact information on the FHSAA media advisory committee listing you as a committee member. I have a question about schools streaming playoff games, understanding championship games are handled differently. Many schools stream regular season contests, but my local high school is indicating FHSAA rules prevent them from streaming playoff games. My question stems from noting last week as well as this weeks round 2 games, multiple instance of games being streamed all over the state (all classifications). Why would my local High school indicate FHSAA rules prevent them from streaming, when I note other schools from all over the state in fact streaming FHSAA playoff games?

Thanks!

The schools can only stream if one of 2 things happen

One if it is picked up by a service like nfhs who has a contract to stream fhsaa games or if the schools pay the fhsaa a fee to stream the games

The ones who don't fall under that and did it were doing so against fhsaa rules and can actually get in hot water for doing so

1 hour ago, FL_HS_football said:

So streaming during the regular season doesn't require a fee but for playoff games it does? What's the fee, and is it paid per game or for the duration of the playoffs (precluding the championship games)?

That i would probably leave to @Joshua Wilson to answer 

But for regular season there is no fee required by fhsaa to stream but some teams do charge people to view the streams (this is generally to boost profits especially if the streaming could potentially lower the number of people in the stands) 

I got someone from the FHSAA media committee to break it all down for me via email. I made an offer to the school in question, so it can stream this week but haven't heard back from anyone yet. Just aggravated the school tried to portray it as a entirely FHSAA issue, but the reality is the school made a conscience decision to not broadcast because it wasn't willing to take advantage of the means FHSAA allows  a school to stream playoff games.

Thanks for your assistance! 

3 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

I got someone from the FHSAA media committee to break it all down for me via email. I made an offer to the school in question, so it can stream this week but haven't heard back from anyone yet. Just aggravated the school tried to portray it as a entirely FHSAA issue, but the reality is the school made a conscience decision to not broadcast because it wasn't willing to take advantage of the means FHSAA allows  a school to stream playoff games.

Thanks for your assistance! 

How much is the weekly charge to stream a playoff game might i ask? 

$500.00 to FHSAA..............The school in question is deep in tradition and has numerous alumni that could easily afford the fee to say nothing of what the booster club has sitting in its bank account.....since they made a decision years ago to cut ties with the NFHS (utilizing NFHS doesn't requiring any fee payment), and stream exclusively through Youtube. I offered to pay this week's fee if the boosters will pay next week should the school move onto to round three? And then offered to take on securing sponsorship next year from advertisers for specific purpose of funding the fee payment, should the school qualify next year for the playoffs

38 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

$500.00 to FHSAA..............The school in question is deep in tradition and has numerous alumni that could easily afford the fee to say nothing of what the booster club has sitting in its bank account.....since they made a decision years ago to cut ties with the NFHS (utilizing NFHS doesn't requiring any fee payment), and stream exclusively through Youtube. I offered to pay this week's fee if the boosters will pay next week should the school move onto to round three? And then offered to take on securing sponsorship next year from advertisers for specific purpose of funding the fee payment, should the school qualify next year for the playoffs

Yes the fee is $500.00 for a live streaming fee to the FHSAA per game broadcast. 

Send me a message on here and I can talk to you a bit more on this. 

So I'm just going to put this out there. I'm finding out that the ultimate authority for my school to stream their playoff games rest with the school's athletic director. Three schools from this county made the playoffs, 2 of the three have elected to do what ever is required by the FHSAA to ensure their games are streamed. My school as of this moment however has decided against it. I've reached out to the lady serving as the athletic director, both by phone and email to offer to pay the fee required by the FHSAA to allow the school to stream. Neither my phone call nor my email as of this writing has been answered. Time is ticking since the games are being played tomorrow, I just find it absolutely ridiculous that my school with it steep tradition and its hearty viability financially...............that the other 2 county schools would realize the importance to ensure the games are streamed, while my school stands by and gives its fans a shoulder shrug on the issue of streaming games.

7 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

So I'm just going to put this out there. I'm finding out that the ultimate authority for my school to stream their playoff games rest with the school's athletic director. Three schools from this county made the playoffs, 2 of the three have elected to do what ever is required by the FHSAA to ensure their games are streamed. My school as of this moment however has decided against it. I've reached out to the lady serving as the athletic director, both by phone and email to offer to pay the fee required by the FHSAA to allow the school to stream. Neither my phone call nor my email as of this writing has been answer. Time is ticking since the games are being played tomorrow, I just find it absolutely ridiculous that my school with it steep tradition and its hearty viability financially...............that the other 2 county schools would realize the importance to ensure the games are streamed, while my school stands by and gives its fans a shoulder shrug on the issue of streaming games.

For one reason or another some schools don't think about the long term effect

Columbia for instance has equipment to stream games but the coach told them no home streams in order to protect attendance (which i find ridiculous because Columbia not putting a stream out isn't going to convince anyone to show up at a game if they weren't already going and no stream just means they will listen on radio instead) 

Our largest attended game in past 5 years was a game that was streamed on nfhs network so it's obvious streaming isn't going to lower attendance and by doing so we are literally destroying history because with no streams there will be no way to preserve classic games 

If they were worried about attendance they could always film it for archive only so really there is no excuse for not doing so

It's sad so many schools out there won't see how important these games will be down the line 

6 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

So I'm just going to put this out there. I'm finding out that the ultimate authority for my school to stream their playoff games rest with the school's athletic director. Three schools from this county made the playoffs, 2 of the three have elected to do what ever is required by the FHSAA to ensure their games are streamed. My school as of this moment however has decided against it. I've reached out to the lady serving as the athletic director, both by phone and email to offer to pay the fee required by the FHSAA to allow the school to stream. Neither my phone call nor my email as of this writing has been answered. Time is ticking since the games are being played tomorrow, I just find it absolutely ridiculous that my school with it steep tradition and its hearty viability financially...............that the other 2 county schools would realize the importance to ensure the games are streamed, while my school stands by and gives its fans a shoulder shrug on the issue of streaming games.

And the deadline has already passed to ensure the game would be stream as usually 3:00 p.m. day prior to game is the cutoff for the FHSAA AT11 to be submitted. 

2 minutes ago, Joshua Wilson said:

And the deadline has already passed to ensure the game would be stream as usually 3:00 p.m. day prior to game is the cutoff for the FHSAA AT11 to be submitted. 

It's a damn shame how far behind FL is in support and so far behind on preserving it's past despite having so many great teams and players historically 

We could learn from the state to our north border when it comes to both aspects

15 minutes ago, gwdrum75 said:

Anyone know who/where/how the state finals are going to be covered? Hopefully it's not Spectrum......which is only available to Spectrum customers....

I wish a channel that is available statewide would pick it up 

I would pay for a subscription to get the channel for a month on TV but i ain't paying for a online streaming subscription 

14 minutes ago, Joshua Wilson said:

I fear it might be given they are doing volleyball.... this would be a travesty if only on Spectrum. 

Yeah. Since they haven’t given a crap about it all season and now will just swoop in and cover the finals....for a fee, I’m sure. Looks like they are charging $9.99 to watch the volleyball finals. 

22 minutes ago, Joshua Wilson said:

I fear it might be given they are doing volleyball.... this would be a travesty if only on Spectrum. 

Any chance we can start a petition to have spectrum removed as the broadcast provider of the state championships for future years 

It would be nice for a network that is available statewide to carry it because it sucks you have to basically live in Orlando just to watch the game 

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Any chance we can start a petition to have spectrum removed as the broadcast provider of the state championships for future years 

It would be nice for a network that is available statewide to carry it because it sucks you have to basically live in Orlando just to watch the game 

That petition would get about as many signatures as Josh got donations.  Not many people care about high school football anymore.  Good luck finding someone willing to broadcast it.  If Spectrum didn't do it, it probably would not be done except streamed.

29 minutes ago, badbird said:

That petition would get about as many signatures as Josh got donations.  Not many people care about high school football anymore.  Good luck finding someone willing to broadcast it.  If Spectrum didn't do it, it probably would not be done except streamed.

I rather the prep zone stream it,  at least then it would be available statewide 

1 minute ago, badbird said:

Preozone isn’t paying the fhsaa any money

How much money could spectrum possibly make if they only service the central Florida area

Prep Zone could probably get them more viewers then spectrum ever could 

Besides prep zone already does streaming for several state championships already

10 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Kind of does not even make sense, either, as if you live in Orlando and are really interested you can go to the game.