Vero Beach 7 Dr Phillips 19 Final

Floridatech

23 minutes ago, Bocefous70 said:

Color me surprised 

The truth is that Vero Beach was probably just a decent 8A school. It seems Treasure Coast and Centennial just seemed better than they were because VB was not as good as it seemed on paper.

Vero's only really good win this year was against Venice. Perhaps Venice started the season slow, or the match up just suited VB. While DP has probably improved going into the playoffs, I have a hard time believing that they are state caliber this year. Too many losses against teams that were not state caliber.

That Vero lost to them, bad officiating or not, is strong evidence that Vero was probably overrated going into the playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

The truth is that Vero Beach was probably just a decent 8A school. It seems Treasure Coast and Centennial just seemed better than they were because VB was not as good as it seemed on paper.

Vero's only really good win this year was against Venice. Perhaps Venice started the season slow, or the match up just suited VB. While DP has probably improved going into the playoffs, I have a hard time believing that they are state caliber this year. Too many losses against teams that were not state caliber.

That Vero lost to them, bad officiating or not, is strong evidence that Vero was probably overrated going into the playoffs. 

Trust me darter. I’ve been saying for years football on the treasure coast has been lacking 

1 minute ago, Bocefous70 said:

Trust me darter. I’ve been saying for years football on the treasure coast has been lacking 

Fort Pierce Central was state caliber when the staff you were a part of was there. But for a play here or there, over a two (or was it three) year period, FPC could have made it to the state title game. 

10 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I told y'all but I was the bad guy again 

17 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Vero seems to have trouble with really physical teams. You can't win an 8A title or even go deep if that is the case. 

I had a feeling Vero wasn't everything its 11-0 record would lead you to believe it was. Riverview isn't as physically dominating on its OL as it was last year, but its still big and nasty. Boyce at RB of last year is still the same Boyce this year , in that he can easily carry the ball 30+ times and is a very physical runner.  Riverview's QB is very physical and has good command of the Offense too. I like Riverview's chances this game only because I think Dr Phillips is more not the same team of last year.....than Riverview is.

35 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Vero seems to have trouble with really physical teams. You can't win an 8A title or even go deep if that is the case. 

For many years, IMO, Vero has not had the physicality of teams from larger metro areas.  There is always a lot of talk about Vero's scheduling.  I don't care who they scheduled this year, I do not think it would have made a difference in the performance tonight. 

Forget the score and officiating, I am simply looking at what I saw (while madly switching games on my computer:)) in the trenches and comparing team speed vs Dr P.  Vero may be a big school, but they don't have a talent pool in Indian River County even close to that of many of the other 8A schools.  That's not making excuses for Vero, but I think it really does hold them back.  Their D-line was trying, but they just could not shut down the run enough when they needed to.      

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

For many years, IMO, Vero has not had the physicality of teams from larger metro areas.  There is always a lot of talk about Vero's scheduling.  I don't care who they scheduled this year, I do not think it would have made a difference in the performance tonight. 

Forget the score and officiating, I am simply looking at what I saw (while madly switching games on my computer:)) in the trenches and comparing team speed vs Dr P.  Vero may be a big school, but they don't have a talent pool in Indian River County even close to that of many of the other 8A schools.  That's not making excuses for Vero, but I think it really does hold them back.  Their D-line was trying, but they just could not shut down the run enough when they needed to.      

That's why I said Manatee or Riverview woulda been a bad match up against Vero.....

I like what Riverview is doing offensively right now, in that the QB has excellent command of the read option, and at least against Manatee showed he can air it out a bit to some very capable WR's. Additionally the Riverview QB is a good sized kid, with good speed....he can handle during the playoffs carrying the ball 15-20 times, to make teams have to think twice about keying on Boyce. The OC seems to really understand what Riverview's strengths are and again at least for the Manatee games his play calling was excellent. Riverview's Achilles heal is its defense. Its big on the line and has above average team speed at the LB and DB positions, but isnt a shutdown type unit. I believe they'll be able to take care of Dr. Phillips but beyond that I cant say what will happen, as I just dont know enough about the remaining teams to speculate one way or the other.

Columbus and what I watched Thursday against Palmetto, I saw a Palmetto team basically self destruct within the 1st 13 minutes of the game and it was over............8A this year to me, appears to be wide open in as far as who will be its champion.

48 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Of course not set in stone or anything, but the favorites for the 8A Final are Wekiva v. Columbus. Who would be the favorite?

But 8A still has some very quality teams left in Deerfield, Sar. Riverview, Mandarin (blowing out WP), etc.

If the final is between Wekiva and Columbus, Wekiva will likely be the favorite. However, overall, I think Columbus is the more disciplined team. If Columbus managed to open a two score lead (ten points or more) against Wekiva, I feel the Mustangs would have a hard time coming back from that deficit. 

The two biggest achilles heels I see on the Wekiva team are: 1. A very average kicking game (last year they had a much better kicker); 2. They give up too many avoidable penalties on both sides of the ball. 

The game, if it occurs (I could see both teams exiting next week under certain circumstances), will come down to whether Columbus can move the ball consistently against Wekiva's defense, which no team as of yet, has. If they find way to do so, I would take Columbus to win a fairly close game. 

20 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Of course not set in stone or anything, but the favorites for the 8A Final are Wekiva v. Columbus. Who would be the favorite?

But 8A still has some very quality teams left in Deerfield, Sar. Riverview, Mandarin (blowing out WP), etc.

Have to laugh when they call Mandarin shredding WP an "upset."  Maybe because of the records, who knows.  But, I saw it with my own eyes and WP should be fortunate that it wasn't a whole lot worse.  Essentially, that game was over when they kicked the ball off.  The difference in the two teams was evident from play one.  

This Mandarin squad is almost a mirror image of the Bartram Trail team that made it to the 7A final last year...elite QB with a stable of future D1 skill players who grew up through a difficult early schedule.  Plus, this Mandarin defense is far better than BT's was last year.

Columbus looks tough to beat, but I wouldn't pencil Wekiva in just yet.  They absolutely have their hands full this upcoming Friday with a lot of the same matchup problems WP had last night.  

1 hour ago, shredstar said:

Have to laugh when they call Mandarin shredding WP an "upset."  Maybe because of the records, who knows.  But, I saw it with my own eyes and WP should be fortunate that it wasn't a whole lot worse.  Essentially, that game was over when they kicked the ball off.  The difference in the two teams was evident from play one.  

This Mandarin squad is almost a mirror image of the Bartram Trail team that made it to the 7A final last year...elite QB with a stable of future D1 skill players who grew up through a difficult early schedule.  Plus, this Mandarin defense is far better than BT's was last year.

Columbus looks tough to beat, but I wouldn't pencil Wekiva in just yet.  They absolutely have their hands full this upcoming Friday with a lot of the same matchup problems WP had last night.  

Agreed, Mandarin is heating up at the right time. They absolutely destroyed a really good Winter Park team from the start from what i saw. 

If Mandarin starts the same next week I have them winning.

35 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

I’m shocked. I really thought you guys would win states this year based on the regular season and how everything went Vero Beach’s way with home game advantage. I guess the Vero Beach tradition continues lol 

Let me know how an STA ass kickin will be after game

Venice fans gon be like THEIR EXPLOITING BLACK PEOPLE THEIR EXPLOITING BLACK PEOPLE 

Looooolll

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If the final is between Wekiva and Columbus, Wekiva will likely be the favorite. However, overall, I think Columbus is the more disciplined team. If Columbus managed to open a two score lead (ten points or more) against Wekiva, I feel the Mustangs would have a hard time coming back from that deficit. 

The two biggest achilles heels I see on the Wekiva team are: 1. A very average kicking game (last year they had a much better kicker); 2. They give up too many avoidable penalties on both sides of the ball. 

The game, if it occurs (I could see both teams exiting next week under certain circumstances), will come down to whether Columbus can move the ball consistently against Wekiva's defense, which no team as of yet, has. If they find way to do so, I would take Columbus to win a fairly close game. 

Nice post.  South Dade is a scary team.  If their "good" team shows up, they could challenge Columbus.  And Deerfield is a dangerous team, too.  Have not seen PB Central.

Those 2 chinks in Wekiva's armor could be huge in the upcoming games.  Columbus is not a flashy team.  They are very disciplined and execute.  They have had some slow starts this year, but the team I saw this weekend came out firing on both sides of the ball.  South Dade, Columbus and Deerfield can all score points very quickly.  Could work for or against them playing a team like Wekiva.  Those 3 also have very solid defenses, and Wekiva is not going to run over them as easily as they have done to some teams this year.