Should Florida Consider Pennsylvania's New Transfer Rules?

OldSchoolLion

The problem is privates by their nature recruit every kid at the school.  When the courting happens the school is selling and the family is shopping. Rules can't change that. Because of that many don't think it is equitable to apply rules to publics.  This is killing hs sports, imo. How about actually recognizing the true problem and come up with a solution that is fair. 

This does not happen because of three groups that will never agree.

1. Those that want fair.

2. Those that want equal.

3. Those that care about nothing other than gaining and or keeping an advantage.

I don't see anyone actually trying to help the game. So keep seeing crowds shrink, numbers shrink, and understand that it is going to die without leadership and real change.

11 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

The problem is privates by their nature recruit every kid at the school.  When the courting happens the school is selling and the family is shopping. Rules can't change that. Because of that many don't think it is equitable to apply rules to publics.  This is killing hs sports, imo. How about actually recognizing the true problem and come up with a solution that is fair. 

1. Those that want fair.

3. Those that care about nothing other than gaining and or keeping an advantage.

I don't see anyone actually trying to help the game. So keep seeing crowds shrink, numbers shrink, and understand that it is going to die without leadership and real change.

That doesn't mean there isn't publics recruiting as well and that's where the problem I'm seeing is at

People want to separate privates but want to ignore the fact that tons of metro publics have recruited for decades 

15 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

1. Those that want fair.

Now you are really getting somewhere with that,  after all the reason we have so many small districts is teams couldn't handle a little travel so they complained until fhsaa caved in

The biggest issue with fhsaa isn't anything they proposing it's the fact they always give in to schools who complain and as a result they continue to get walked over and the schools who stay quiet about their complaints pay the price for it

The fhsaa needs to lay down the law and make it clear the schools need to quit whining because their district isn't being catered to them

The schools will always look after themselves and vote for anything that they think will make their road as a school easier to win championships and look good,  it's up to the fhsaa to make sure what product out there is the best for the most possible schools and the best product for the fans and they can't do that when they are letting schools push the fhsaa around until the fhsaa gives in to them 

No I want to separate privates because they can't have rules and this cancer has spread to publics. I am not ignoring anything. Publics recruit all the time. Recruiting does not even equate to winning. It does lead to a disconnect to community, to empty stadiums, to teams dropping sub varsity teams. So no I don't want to ignore the publics recruiting. I want to address all of the issues. 

9 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Now you are really getting somewhere with that,  after all the reason we have so many small districts is teams couldn't handle a little travel so they complained until fhsaa caved in

The biggest issue with fhsaa isn't anything they proposing it's the fact they always give in to schools who complain and as a result they continue to get walked over and the schools who stay quiet about their complaints pay the price for it

The fhsaa needs to lay down the law and make it clear the schools need to quit whining because their district isn't being catered to them

This is a vast oversimplifiction. I know that by population reports 7a 1 would likely be Crestview, niceville, tate, navarre, lincoln, and your tigers. Ask your ad what he thinks of "a little travel".

20 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

No I want to separate privates because they can't have rules and this cancer has spread to publics. I am not ignoring anything. Publics recruit all the time. Recruiting does not even equate to winning. It does lead to a disconnect to community, to empty stadiums, to teams dropping sub varsity teams. So no I don't want to ignore the publics recruiting. I want to address all of the issues. 

Ok then the part about ignoring wasn't directed towards you specifically, however there are people out there who are ignoring the issue and even some who pretend only privates recruit

The problem is have we already passed the point where we could undo the damage? 

5 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

This is a vast oversimplifiction. I know that by population reports 7a 1 would likely be Crestview, niceville, tate, navarre, lincoln, and your tigers. Ask your ad what he thinks of "a little travel".

While i don't think we would be doing cartwheels over that travel we would live to accept it

They wouldn't put us in panhandle district when there are enough jacksonville teams to fill a district out

They could do this though since i have heard that Bartram Trail and potentially Lee may be moving classification next year with change in population 

D1 

Niceville 

Crestview 

Navarre 

Tate

D2

Lincoln 

Leon

Chiles

Columbia 

Buchholz

Gainesville (if they end up 7a enrollment)

D3

Fletcher 

Fleming Island 

Creekside 

First Coast 

Atlantic Coast 

Oakleaf 

D4

Same as now

Think something like that could be manageable for the schools? 

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Ok then the part about ignoring wasn't directed towards you specifically, however there are people out there who are ignoring the issue and even some who pretend only privates recruit

The problem is have we already passed the point where we could undo the damage? 

No I don't think that is true. There are a bunch of coaches, ads, principals and county administrators that know this is true. It will take smart people really setting their individual interest aside for the good of the sport.

3 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

No I don't think that is true. There are a bunch of coaches, ads, principals and county administrators that know this is true. It will take smart people really setting their individual interest aside for the good of the sport.

Easier said than done

I would hope people can put ego and power aside for the betterment of the sports as a whole but I won't hold my breath for it because it's impossible to make something that will make everyone happy and anything that would take a bite out of some big names may not exactly have enough steam to make it through 

Gainesville is farther away sorry stop whining. Leon would be in 6a. Maybe they go to the panhandle or Jax districts. This is how it goes in real life.

Gainesville ain't that far off 7a enrollment, they missed it by barley 100 on the last count so I could see them being 7a

And that district can be done because it's already been done in another sport 

And if Leon is 6a then they just drop from list, it's still enough teams to fill a district out,  after all we were in Lincoln district for a while not too long ago but I'm sure you remember that 

You see you argued that your team not be handled in an objective manner. If you live by your word you would have never proposed that GHS travel farther then CHS. It is obvious counties brokered deals last cycle and some where dropped a class and some played up to keep countries together.

No what i suggested was if they hit 7a enrollment they could,  notice i said by Gainesville (if they end up 7a enrollment)

If they are 6a enrollment they would be unaffected but i don't think Gainesville should stay 6a just to avoid being in that district which is something they already do in another sport 

The reason i suggested that district was to fix the 3 team district by offering another group to join and fix the issue there 

It would also help d3 which would be all jacksonville area schools so the travel would be a benefit overall

Drop the GHS argument you are the school in question because you are closer period. STOP WHINNING!!!! THE  pop reports are going to create this situation. You don't want small districts there are 3 7a size schools in the panhandle one borderline school. There are one or two in Leon county. Columbia gets to fill out district 1 to prevent the mockery of a small panhandle district screwing some powerhouse your familiar with. Because teams from your region never lose out in the panhandle.

I see I will never get you to say yes it is not as simple has stop whining .

10 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

The problem is you make it sound like only privates recruit to justify separating them when i can guarantee you there are publics out there recruiting and some are doing it at a much more aggressive pace then the majority of the privates are

Bingo. This is why I don’t advocate separating them. The biggest thing I’ve seen a private do to get kids in is allow students to do FLVS and go to their school...so basically the same thing almost any public can do. 

We’d be better off if we had a class where you could just do whatever you wanted openly (rather than just behind closed doors because the FHSAA just doesn’t care). I doubt any of the teams that do recruit would join it but it’d be interesting 

50 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It's like talking to a brick wall

How the hell am I whining? I'm offering a solution to fix the smallest district in 7a north by adding some teams to it

Sounds like you are just someone who thinks he is right all the time and think everyone else is stupid if they don't agree with you 

Actually I was trying to show you that you would like most are not willing to practice what you preach. I was right you still are being dense acting like you don't get it. Listen real close if you go to tate hs and start driving east on I 10 until you reach the 6th or 7th 7a school your tigers are likely to be in that district. According to you that should be the end of it. No other solutions need to be looked at. Anyone not on board is "whining". 

5 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

Actually I was trying to show you that you would like most are not willing to practice what you preach. I was right you still are being dense acting like you don't get it. Listen real close if you go to tate hs and start driving east on I 10 until you reach the 6th or 7th 7a school your tigers are likely to be in that district. According to you that should be the end of it. No other solutions need to be looked at. Anyone not on board is "whining". 

You don't need a 7 team district though

I'm just trying to get rid of a 3 team district that can easily be fixed

8 minutes ago, Jags904 said:

Bingo. This is why I don’t advocate separating them. The biggest thing I’ve seen a private do to get kids in is allow students to do FLVS and go to their school...so basically the same thing almost any public can do. 

We’d be better off if we had a class where you could just do whatever you wanted openly (rather than just behind closed doors because the FHSAA just doesn’t care). I doubt any of the teams that do recruit would join it but it’d be interesting 

Like a open division? 

Just now, Jags904 said:

I actually think this has merit. Open enrollment is not everywhere believe it or not. An open class would allow privates and publics have a more equitable playing field.

7 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

Fine leave the panhandle teams in 6a

Still no reason that the 2 Gainesville schools and Columbia couldn't go into the Tallahassee district to fix that 3 team district 

2 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

I actually think this has merit. Open enrollment is not everywhere believe it or not. An open class would allow privates and publics have a more equitable playing field.

Fhsaa might have to offer a incentive to get some teams to join but i could see potential in it

BAD idea. 

Way to destroy 100 plus years of a good sport.

All you have to do is separate private schools. They can all withdraw from the FHSAA, who has no say or power over them anyway. They are private businesses, not funded through state and local taxes.  They can and should do whatever the hell they want.

They can get together and form leagues in their own best interest.

But the best interest of public schools is to play together by classifications based on student populations and to have limited/strict transfer rules for athletics. This is not about school choice. Go where you want. But you'll sit out a year.