Should Florida Consider Pennsylvania's New Transfer Rules?

OldSchoolLion

Just now, 181pl said:

BAD idea. 

Way to destroy 100 plus years of a good sport.

All you have to do is separate private schools. They can all withdraw from the FHSAA, who has no say or power over them anyway. They are private businesses, not funded through state and local taxes.  They can and should do whatever the hell they want.

They can get together and form leagues in their own best interest.

But the best interest of public schools is to play together by classifications based on student populations and to have limited/strict transfer rules for athletics. This is not about school choice. Go where you want. But you'll sit out a year. 

How would letting the publics who want to play with privates destroy the sport

Whether you will admit it or not there are publics who recruit far more aggressive then most of the privates in FL 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

How would letting the publics who want to play with privates destroy the sport

Whether you will admit it or not there are publics who recruit far more aggressive then most of the privates in FL 

You couldn't me more wrong and that's saying something. Public schools could play private schools, just not in districts and playoffs.

How do you think schools like STA, Heritage, and dozens of other survive on the playing field? They have to RECRUIT stud athletes. Johnny Science, who is going to MIT, could give two shits about spending 25 hours a week on football. And it's not like Johnny Fivestar's Dad is really worried if he gets that Berkeley Prep education, because his kid is going to college to play sports.

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

5 teams is enough to balance a district if set up properly 

That gives a team 40% of schedule complete and lets the teams still have flexibility 

NO. And who cares about flexibility? 5 team districts suck. 8 team districts pretty much guarantee that you will NEVER get a team with a garbage record making the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, 181pl said:

You couldn't me more wrong and that's saying something. Public schools could play private schools, just not in districts and playoffs.

How do you think schools like STA, Heritage, and dozens of other survive on the playing field? They have to RECRUIT stud athletes. Johnny Science, who is going to MIT, could give two shits about spending 25 hours a week on football. And it's not like Johnny Fivestar's Dad is really worried if he gets that Berkeley Prep education, because his kid is going to college to play sports.

Couldn't be more wrong? 

You wanna put money on the idea that NO publics in FL recruit?  Because I'm sure anyone on here can back up the fact that there are publics who recruit as well

You think every private is like STA 

I don't see Aucilla Christian snatching 20 d1 prospects from surrounding publics :D

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

5 teams is enough to balance a district if set up properly 

That gives a team 40% of schedule complete and lets the teams still have flexibility 

So you really don't want balanced districts and you don't really want to tell some teams to stop whining. You don't really want to stop waivers. Let's see it sounds like how we got where we are at.

2 minutes ago, 181pl said:

NO. And who cares about flexibility? 5 team districts suck. 8 team districts pretty much guarantee that you will NEVER get a team with a garbage record making the playoffs. 

I hated being in a large district with a bunch of garbage schools,  I was bored watching us be forced to play Englewood, Middleburg and Terry Parker, I felt ready to sleep by 2nd quarter 

Just now, Phfootball9 said:

Either it's balanced or not. The term more balanced is how we got 3 team districts.

BTW you having A.D.D. and getting bored with Columbia's schedule should not be a concern when designing a playoff system.

I never said it was,  only said why i hated the large districts we were in previously and why i like our current district 

However this isn't about Columbia, the idea I'm trying to get across is that there is a easy fix to the smallest district in 7a north

You keep trying to make this about my personal feelings which had nothing to do with the issue. I don't care what district they throw us in,  they can put us with Miami Central for all I care because it ain't my damn problem 

I'm just trying to understand why you seem so defensive to the districts i put up which while not perfect is still a acceptable option and at least then the smallest district in region is 4 teams not 3 and all of those teams are competitive ones unlike the 3 team Tally district where Lincoln is only one who is decent

33 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

I actually think this has merit. Open enrollment is not everywhere believe it or not. An open class would allow privates and publics have a more equitable playing field.

Correct, my son attends a school that does not have open enrollment and my nephew does as well in another county. Both are schools with strong athletic programs 

I agree with CHF, they gotta fix these districts, MIX them up every two years, so teams don't have to play each other every year. Its getting old, very old. Also with the transfer rule, teams that once was good is so bad they have to get some of the guys from cheer leading to try out. Just not the same since Florida enacted the transfer rule. Its dumb and stupid. All they had to do was fix the private vs public, then we wouldn't have these conversations.

7 minutes ago, WhatsUpDoc said:

I agree with CHF, they gotta fix these districts, MIX them up every two years, so teams don't have to play each other every year. Its getting old, very old. Also with the transfer rule, teams that once was good is so bad they have to get some of the guys from cheer leading to try out. Just not the same since Florida enacted the transfer rule. Its dumb and stupid. All they had to do was fix the private vs public, then we wouldn't have these conversations.

Only after you fix privates vs publics you haven't fixed all the issues

For example in Jacksonville players are able to move freely from school to school (this was prior to the transfer rule as this has been going on for decades) 

That is a clear competitive advantage and schools over there could find loopholes and load up more talent than 90% of the privates in FL could ever do

Somebody asked me on messanger "Who do you think will win 5A?". My response was A private school. Why? Because they can recruit and been doing it for years. 

I still say separating public vs private then place some very hardcore transfer rules on public schools it would fix just about everything. Like it was stated in this post earlier do what PA does or add your own, if a player transfer's to a school then they need to sit out for a year. If they wanna go the transfer route do what NCAA does and make them sit out for a year. As for private as long as they are separated during the playoffs then let them recruit unless they get public funds under vouchers. Not even private should be allowed to do what they do knowing they are receiving public voucher money. 

Lets look at he Brackets CURRENTLY:

5A: there are 4 private schools playing for Semi Finals!!!! Private schools should NOT be receiving public voucher funds, period. Now, go back each year, its been like this over and over. Private schools in 5A are playing 7A players, period.....Now with the transfer rules in place, a team like Jefferson has players who can't go to plant because their best spots are filled, so Jefferson gets the 2nd best, Jesuit won't take them because again the best spots are filled, so Jefferson stacks their players just like pee-wee leagues were doing. Every years, its the same old song, private schools go outta state and around the state and recruit and bring in the talent because they can, FHSAA does nothing has never did anything about it. Now whenever Jeb started the voucher program it gave a way for private schools to do whatever they wanted to because now the taxpayers are paying for players to go to private schools for free!!!! Its such a gimmick now that many folks have quit watching FHS football and well I just recently retired from it. I am done with it. I cannot stand watching the lopsided field anymore because even public schools in certain areas are pulling everybody, VENICE is the biggest one on the west coast of Florida, the pulled everybody from Manatee down to north charlotte if not charlotte, they stacked their team because of who, STA!!!! 

You can agree with FHSAA all you want, but until things like recruiting and now the public team stacking stops, many folks will keep leaving every year and FHSAA can keep ruining this game for everyone. Competitiveness should be done on the field, not by how many D1 players a school can get or how many public school football team can stack the field. 

I blame Jeb Bush who started the voucher program crap and the private schools who dug deep, very deep into his pockets to get the program going. FHSAA did nothing, they just sat back and didn't warn anybody about what was going to happen.

Until this stuff gets changed I'm done, finished, and retired. I see it in our stands every year, the attendance is lower and lower and well every year its going to get like this everywhere. 

All of the private schools out there today have shown vulnerability when playing competition of the same caliber this year and the past few.  With the current class structure and playoff routes, it does not take much to look like a titan.  In 5A, AHP, Cardinal Gibbons, Jesuit and Trinity Christian have all had their hands full against certain public schools in the regular season and playoffs in recent years.  Their  dominance in 5A is more a function of there being an excessive number of classes.  If today's 5A and 6A were combined or modified, all of the aforementioned teams might be out of the playoffs as of today.