Upcoming reclassification

DisabledAccount

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Anyone who may have a rough ideas on where some teams may be moving classification wise next year post them below

I'm curious what shakeups we end up getting 

Until they release 2018 population reports, not much to do. I know Columbia is out of playoffs, but let's enjoy the playoffs for all high school football before we start thinking about next year. 

You could always look at 2017 population report.

https://www.fhsaa.org/departments/membership/population

18 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Until they release 2018 population reports, not much to do. I know Columbia is out of playoffs, but let's enjoy the playoffs for all high school football before we start thinking about next year. 

In that case then we need to start talking about more games

Wekiva vs Mandarin 

Plant vs Lakeland 

Vanguard vs Armwood 

Is any discussion going to take place on any other games??

3 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

What's the cutoff for each classification? 

On 11/21/2018 at 7:16 PM, gatorman-uf said:

Those population reports are very misleading. I can tell you many of the students that start here are not even here by the time January comes around because they move two to three times a year depending where the veggies and fruits are to be picked...Once the main oranges are done here they leave. Can't believe they are counted as part of the population report but they are. This goes for all schools that have this same issue.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Anyone who may have a rough ideas on where some teams may be moving classification wise next year post them below

I'm curious what shakeups we end up getting 

As far as I know, Bolles is moving down to 4a and that Raines is moving up to 5A. ( Rumor-- Raines coach might leave for possible job in Georgia and Trinity OC might take the Raines job if he were to leave)

7 hours ago, joeycash2004 said:

As far as I know, Bolles is moving down to 4a and that Raines is moving up to 5A. ( Rumor-- Raines coach might leave for possible job in Georgia and Trinity OC might take the Raines job if he were to leave)

Have heard the same. 

Nease & BT will be going up to 8A. School populations are up to 2700 at both. Creekside may go up as well but they’re on the bubble. 2300. 

53 minutes ago, Jags904 said:

Have heard the same. 

Nease & BT will be going up to 8A. School populations are up to 2700 at both. Creekside may go up as well but they’re on the bubble. 2300. 

Atlantic Coast has 8A numbers too.  Many of their students have migrated from Sandalwood to go to the newer school.

We won't know until they release the 2018 population report. We need broader classes so we can have the Panhandle have real districts and stop bitching. I'd also love to separate the private schools. That would make life much easier in terms of organizing an eauitable playoff system.

7 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Wekiva may drop to 7A based on numbers. But they will probably petition to remain in 8A. Ocoee has 8A numbers as does Lake Nona. Evans is on the bubble between 8A and 7A, 

Wekiva was 7A last time and petitioned because of other sports.   Now that the other sports don't matter(because you don't have to play district games) I'm not sure they will

The FHSAA is pretty predictable based on their 1/3 and 2/3 rule. They basically look at the complete 2018 student population report and then look at only teams that are eligible for the state series. The biggest 2/3 (66% of schools) are placed in classes 5A-8A. The remaining 1/3 (33%) are placed in 1A-4A. 5A-8A are then assigned districts, 1A-4A are on their own.  

We will not know where Dillard ends up since we do not have their reported 2018 student population is. Even if we did we do not know the individual class cutoffs. I am not sure there will be a lot of teams moving out of the state series to go independent, but I do think some smaller schools will end up in 1A. BigBendPreps reported on a podcast earlier this year that some of the more rural public schools in the smaller classifications are going to elect to move to 1A.

Dillard's Fall 2017 report shows them at 1823.  Obviously, they are in 6A which currently has a cutoff of 1,593-1,938. Unless there is a dramatic amount of teams entering or exiting the state series or wild fluctuations in student population I think it's pretty reasonable to conclude that Dillard would remain in 6A, but again it all comes down to what the school reports as their Fall 2018 enrollment.

21 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

The FHSAA is pretty predictable based on their 1/3 and 2/3 rule. They basically look at the complete 2018 student population report and then look at only teams that are eligible for the state series. The biggest 2/3 (66% of schools) are placed in classes 5A-8A. The remaining 1/3 (33%) are placed in 1A-4A. 5A-8A are then assigned districts, 1A-4A are on their own.  

We will not know where Dillard ends up since we do not have their reported 2018 student population is. Even if we did we do not know the individual class cutoffs. I am not sure there will be a lot of teams moving out of the state series to go independent, but I do think some smaller schools will end up in 1A. BigBendPreps reported on a podcast earlier this year that some of the more rural public schools in the smaller classifications are going to elect to move to 1A.

Dillard's Fall 2017 report shows them at 1823.  Obviously, they are in 6A which currently has a cutoff of 1,593-1,938. Unless there is a dramatic amount of teams entering or exiting the state series or wild fluctuations in student population I think it's pretty reasonable to conclude that Dillard would remain in 6A, but again it all comes down to what the school reports as their Fall 2018 enrollment.

And thats what i dont understand how are we only at 1800 wen we have 6 7 and 8 grade along with 9-12

25 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

And thats what i dont understand how are we only at 1800 wen we have 6 7 and 8 grade along with 9-12

This is actually rather controversial; however, the FHSAA I believe only looks at 9-12. For years teams that only have 9-12 have said teams that can have 8th graders on varsity creates an unfair advantage. I'm pretty sure schools can have as many 7th, 8th graders on varsity as they want and they do not count toward the population cap.

2 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

This is actually rather controversial; however, the FHSAA I believe only looks at 9-12. For years teams that only have 9-12 have said teams that can have 8th graders on varsity creates an unfair advantage. I'm pretty sure schools can have as many 7th, 8th graders on varsity as they want and they do not count toward the population cap.

My understanding is that TCA has a whole lot of 8th graders that are eligible to compete on their Varsity. We at Trinity Catholic do not have any 8th graders in the high school. They are still in Blessed Trinity our Elementary/Middle School. If the FHSAA counts their 8th graders then possibly that is why they are in 5A instead of 3A where they used to be. I sometimes wonder whether 5A is as tough a classification as 3A.

1 hour ago, Proseteye said:

My understanding is that TCA has a whole lot of 8th graders that are eligible to compete on their Varsity. We at Trinity Catholic do not have any 8th graders in the high school. They are still in Blessed Trinity our Elementary/Middle School. If the FHSAA counts their 8th graders then possibly that is why they are in 5A instead of 3A where they used to be. I sometimes wonder whether 5A is as tough a classification as 3A.

I think they count 8th through 11th...Since the seniors are outgoing they don't count them