Pahokee@Hawthorne

561_Fan

16-0. Hawthorne at the half...Hawthorne scored on a 9 yard run (after an int), a safety (when the QB fumbled the snap in the endzone), and a 75 yard pass (on 3rd and 20)

...These officials are TERRIBLE...everytime PK makes a play (offensively or defensively) they throw a 15 yard penalty...a Hawthorne, WR, broke a tackle and was wrapped up by 4 PK defenders (didn't tackle him, just held him up) and a 15 yard penalty...PK had a 70 yard pass on the Hawthorne sideline, the ref on the PK side threw a 15 yarder (block in the back) when there wasnt anyone on his side of the field.

Defensively, PK has forced 3 turnovers (2 ints and 1 fumble) but they haven't done produced on offense. Got into the redzone twice, with 0 points...Had first and goal at the 3, then like clockwork, 3 5 yard penalties.

PK recieves the ball to start the 3rd

20 minutes ago, Jbaby32 said:

So Hawthorne, was that good just the ref’s and poor coaching?? 

Refs the first half, but it was POOR offensive coaching the entire game. The defense forced 5 turnovers and only gave up the 70+ yard td pass on 3rd and long..The D did their job...offensively was embarrassing..

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Wow, on the latest population report Hawthorne had 164 students.  Amazing they were able to beat a team like Pahokee.   

Hawthorne is a well coached, very athletic team. They had a game plan and stuck to it.

Pahokee had a team full of athletes with no game plan and no identity. Kudos to both teams.

That Madison/Hawthorne matchup will be pretty interesting.

The Madison vs Hawthorne matchup will be a true David vs Goliath task. Hawthorne with 164 kids and Madison with close to 800 kids including their charter school. Hawthorne would probably be the favorite in 1A if not for Madison. I'm afraid the size and depth will play a role with Hawthorne matching up for 4 quarters. What a story it would be for Hawthorne to win it all. 

6 hours ago, Original1 said:

Hawthorne is a well coached, very athletic team. They had a game plan and stuck to it.

Pahokee had a team full of athletes with no game plan and no identity. Kudos to both teams.

That Madison/Hawthorne matchup will be pretty interesting.

PK hasn’t gameplanned for anyone all season. I don’t think they watch film offensively, because they come out with the same plays every week. Bama can do that, but the 99% of other teams must scout and scheme their team to victories 

5 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

The Madison vs Hawthorne matchup will be a true David vs Goliath task. Hawthorne with 164 kids and Madison with close to 800 kids including their charter school. Hawthorne would probably be the favorite in 1A if not for Madison. I'm afraid the size and depth will play a role with Hawthorne matching up for 4 quarters. What a story it would be for Hawthorne to win it all. 

I agree Captain Morgan.  I don’t think Madison is a true 1A school. Rural? Yes..

But definitely not 1A. 

On 11/23/2018 at 10:56 PM, 561_Fan said:

Hawthorne was a good team, but this was like the Seminole Ridge game all over again...offense sleep for 3 and a half quarter. Running vanilla, basic plays (iso, lead, play action) out of the i...defense kept the game close. But it was to late at the end

Totally agree with you on Pahokee offense. I expected to see more with the caliber of athletes they have. Also with a Qb with a nice arm.

Hawthorne made mistakes they dont normally make. Haven't seen them fumble but maybe 2 times all year, and lost 2 fumbles to pahokee. Qb has 3 ints on season and threw 2 against pahokee.  Part good coverage,  part bad throws, not to take nothing away from pahokee. Score could have gotten ugly, like running clock ugly, if Hawthorne took better care of ball. Also, Pahokee had their chances getting into the red zone 3-4 with no points, which the game could have went the other way if they capitalized. 

Haven't seen a team play man coverage for a full game like that.  Cant just rely on your great athletes, especially verse other great athletes. Gotta show some zone and some man. 

6 hours ago, blackmagic said:

Totally agree with you on Pahokee offense. I expected to see more with the caliber of athletes they have. Also with a Qb with a nice arm.

Hawthorne made mistakes they dont normally make. Haven't seen them fumble but maybe 2 times all year, and lost 2 fumbles to pahokee. Qb has 3 ints on season and threw 2 against pahokee.  Part good coverage,  part bad throws, not to take nothing away from pahokee. Score could have gotten ugly, like running clock ugly, if Hawthorne took better care of ball. Also, Pahokee had their chances getting into the red zone 3-4 with no points, which the game could have went the other way if they capitalized. 

Haven't seen a team play man coverage for a full game like that.  Cant just rely on your great athletes, especially verse other great athletes. Gotta show some zone and some man. 

That's the identity defensively and it's been successful (winning and sending CBs to college). That's also why they rotate alot of DBs throughout the game. #5 and #1 are the only ones who didn't come out. They struggle against teams that run rub/screens routes.

Offensively, this has been the problem the entire season. After the 2017 1A POY (J. Washington) tore his acl the first game, they called plays like he was still there and like they had a veteran o-line. #9 rushed for over a thousand yards last year, but he wasn't the same this season. They refused to play out of the spread and put more athletes on the field, they have about 8 WRs that they refused to play. 

Also, playing without a head coach to lead the team doesn't help either. If they get the right staff in place next season, it wouldn't surprise me if they win state next year. Even though they will graduate 22 seniors, there are some super talented underclassmen.

12 hours ago, blackmagic said:

Pahokee has been winning games with just great athletes. But athletes have to be properly coached, and that's Pahokee's problem. They have an outdated, good ole boy system of coaching. Some of the better players didn't even play much this year because of meaningless reasons. (Your family has to be from Pahokee, or you have to be related to a past player, or your family has to know someone on the coaching staff)...sounds stupid right?  

You would not believe the number of "good" players that have transferred from Pahokee to other West Palm Beach area schools in the last 2 years. Sometimes it's good for a small town to bring in a coaching staff that's not from the area to rebuild the program.

Hawthorne is a really good team. The Hornets are well coached and very athletic. I was more surprised with the way they played Pahokee in the trenches.  But it was clear that they had never faced a team like Pahokee before.

I wouldn't mind being in "Boot Hill" for the the Hawthorne/Madison game. Should be a good one!

P.s. ... Do the Pahokee coaches ever watch game film to prepare for their opponents? 

7 minutes ago, Original1 said:

Hawthorne is a really good team. The Hornets are well coached and very athletic. I was more surprised with the way they played Pahokee in the trenches.  But it was clear that they had never faced a team like Pahokee before.

I was surprised with the size difference in the trenches, that Pahokee wasn't able to manhandled Hawthorne. #13 from Hawthorne applied pressure all night. Pahokee QB seemed uncomfortable most of the game, and Hawthorne oline only gave up 1 or 2 sacks. Pahokee was best team they have faced this year. Was it clear Pahokee hadn't faced a team like Hawthorne? Think they had a real problem with the team speed that Hawthorne has.  

Cocoa, Glades Central, and Atlantic are comparable plus much bigger (size and depth) than Hawthorne...PK has been withouttheir starting center for the last 3 weeks and the kid who played was either a 7th or 8th grader and that coincided with their inability to run the ball.

Couldn't run against Wildwood either

2 hours ago, blackmagic said:

I was surprised with the size difference in the trenches, that Pahokee wasn't able to manhandled Hawthorne. #13 from Hawthorne applied pressure all night. Pahokee QB seemed uncomfortable most of the game, and Hawthorne oline only gave up 1 or 2 sacks. Pahokee was best team they have faced this year. Was it clear Pahokee hadn't faced a team like Hawthorne? Think they had a real problem with the team speed that Hawthorne has.  

I have to agree with 561_Fan.... Pahokee played at least 4 teams this year that were bigger and faster than Hawthorne. And they should have beat them all. That's why I asked the game film preparation question earlier...It's almost like Pahokee doesn't prepare for teams. They just show up and play.