Gap vs Zone

WhatsUpDoc

Can somebody tell me why certain Coaches insist on using the gap instead of teaching zone on the offensive line? Example, they are trying to basically "trick" the fans on the home side, making it appear they are running the pistol but in all reality they are still running the IFormation just out of the shotgun. If a person does not know about schemes they would think they are running the pistol but they are not.

So, why does the staff do this? If any kid ends up in college they will have to learn zone for the first time on the oline. I just do not get why some insist on why they keep running the same stuff over and over. Sorry but while others are winning championships running zone on the oline the teams that still run the gap are like watching 60s black and white television...

The truth hurts but its the truth...

4 hours ago, WhatsUpDoc said:

Can somebody tell me why certain Coaches insist on using the gap instead of teaching zone on the offensive line? Example, they are trying to basically "trick" the fans on the home side, making it appear they are running the pistol but in all reality they are still running the IFormation just out of the shotgun. If a person does not know about schemes they would think they are running the pistol but they are not.

So, why does the staff do this? If any kid ends up in college they will have to learn zone for the first time on the oline. I just do not get why some insist on why they keep running the same stuff over and over. Sorry but while others are winning championships running zone on the oline the teams that still run the gap are like watching 60s black and white television...

The truth hurts but its the truth...

Can you please break down the zone blocking scheme for us all? Asking for a friend.

How about asking your friend answer the question first!!! It’s about who over a lineman  and whoever is free. Gives the RBs many opportunities to find what hole is the best. It’s not hard but like badbird said most teams don’t have the size. IFormation is old very old and not successful anymore in the playoffs. Show me one Florida team running it that’s in the state semifinals? 

Theres inside and outside, play side and non playside. 

But I guess some will always believe they’ve done something special when they are sitting at home watching the playoffs.