Congratulations to Cardinal Gibbons

OldSchoolLion

Congratulating a private school?  What?  Cardinal Gibbons won only its second regional title in 50 years last night.  The last time it did so was in 1990, the one and only year Cardinal Gibbons appeared in a state final.  Last night was only the fourth time the Chiefs have appeared in a region final.

What some may not recognize is that some private schools have paid their dues over the years.  For many years, Chaminade and Gibbons were the doormats of Broward County.  In 10 out of 19 years in the playoffs, Gibbons was knocked out by a public school.

So, would suggest we let them have their time in the sun.  

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Congratulating a private school?  What?  Cardinal Gibbons won only its second regional title in 50 years last night.  The last time it did so was in 1990, the one and only year Cardinal Gibbons appeared in a state final.  Last night was only the fourth time the Chiefs have appeared in a region final.

What some may not recognize is that some private schools have paid their dues over the years.  For many years, Chaminade and Gibbons were the doormats of Broward County.  In 10 out of 19 years in the playoffs, Gibbons was knocked out by a public school.

So, would suggest we let them have their time in the sun.  

They were dominant from the beginning of the game. Impressive victory.

30 minutes ago, WhatsUpDoc said:

Great recruiting down there...Can beat the recruiting one bit, they beat AHP in recruiting last year I'm guessing. But with 1158 I guess they have to recruit the studs to play up in 5A just like a few other "private recruiting schools"....

I am not a Cardinal Gibbons homer and I try to be as neutral as possible in the whole public vs private debate.  Earlier this year, I watched game films of the Chiefs.  Of 26 players I watched play, only 2 were transfers this year.  WR Vamir Cadet transferred from Doral and OL Jonathan Weaver transferred from South Plantation. 

The vast majority of their players used to be listed on CG's JV squad.  A few appeared to come directly to the varsity squad as underclassmen.  So, here is a team that is clearly building its own talent from within.  I did a similar exercise for several other south FL schools.  Chaminade was the only one that had a large amount of transfers starting this year.

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I am not a Cardinal Gibbons homer and I try to be as neutral as possible in the whole public vs private debate.  Earlier this year, I watched game films of the Chiefs.  Of 26 players I watched play, only 2 were transfers this year.  WR Vamir Cadet transferred from Doral and OL Jonathan Weaver transferred from South Plantation. 

The vast majority of their players used to be listed on CG's JV squad.  A few appeared to come directly to the varsity squad as underclassmen.  So, here is a team that is clearly building its own talent from within.  I did a similar exercise for several other south FL schools.  Chaminade was the only one that had a large amount of transfers starting this year.

I disagree. You don’t have such studs built from homegrown talent pool. CG most likely offered public vouchers scholarships to the kids while young/JV so they can grow together. Like I’ve said in another post as long as they do t use public funds they can recruit all day long but because public can’t do it because they are public taxpayer funded any private school shouldn’t be allowed if they receive any public voucher funding for any student. Last private should have their own playoff format. 

5 minutes ago, WhatsUpDoc said:

I disagree. You don’t have such studs built from homegrown talent pool. CG most likely offered public vouchers scholarships to the kids while young/JV so they can grow together. Like I’ve said in another post as long as they do t use public funds they can recruit all day long but because public can’t do it because they are public taxpayer funded any private school shouldn’t be allowed if they receive any public voucher funding for any student. Last private should have their own playoff format. 

All I stated is that they are growing talent from within, ie the kids are coming up through the system.  One could ask all kinds of questions today about how taxpayer dollars are used today beyond this issue. 

I'll say this.  If I could know that my dollars are helping a kid get a better education in a private school and better prepare him to handle the balance of schoolwork and playing in college while keeping his nose clean, I am personally OK with it.  I cannot speak for anyone else.  I am only talking about "my" dollars here.  Is the voucher system the best "answer" to providing better educational opportunities for all.  No.  

Our lust for the college and pro game puts an extraordinary burden on these kids, and some need special help.  In many cases, they are set up for failure coming up through the piss-poor public school system in Florida.  Floridians love to bitch about it, but aren't willing to pay the price like taxpayers in other states do.  If going to a private school can be a life-changer for a kid, I'll gladly put up with losing to a private school once in a while to make that happen.  It's a "cost" of a broken educational system.  That kid could end up being the one who comes back to his community and makes a difference for many more.  

I’ve seen a bunch of great D players this year, but I’ll tell you what...khris Bogle is a freak.  Normally undersized “speed” rushers can be beaten with strength or doubles etc, but this kid is so strong for his size and then so quick to penetrate.   The strength/leverage he gets for a guy his size is just not normal.  Wonder which team poaches him from our state.   Guessing Bama :(   They always seem to get our freak players.