Edgewater vs Lakeland Facts

OldSchoolLion

Lakeland and Edgewater have never met in the playoffs.  Here are some interesting facts about each team.  

Edgewater

• Has appeared in 3 state finals and was runner-up each time.  (2002, 2003, 2004). 
  • Has played in 7 state semifinals and is 3-4 in those games.
  • Is 10-11 when playing on the road in the playoffs and 2-1 in state semifinals played on the road.
  • Is 1-2 versus Polk County teams in the playoffs.

Lakeland

• Has appeared in 7 state finals, and won 6 titles.
  • Is 34-3 when playing at home in the playoffs over the past 20 years.  (2 losses to Plant and 1 loss to Hillsborough)
  • Has played in 14 state semifinals.  Is 7-7 in those games.
  • Has played 9 state semifinals at home.  Is 5-4 in those games.  Since 1996, is 5-2 in such games.
  • Only 2 teams have beaten Lakeland more than twice in the playoffs.  Osceola and Plant have each won 4 times.
  • Their game versus Edgewater will be only the second playoff game against an Orange County team in the past 35 years (beat Lake Nona 2014).

53 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Lakeland and Edgewater have never met in the playoffs.  Here are some interesting facts about each team.  

Edgewater

• Has appeared in 3 state finals and was runner-up each time.  (2002, 2003, 2004). 
  • Has played in 7 state semifinals and is 3-4 in those games.
  • Is 10-11 when playing on the road in the playoffs and 2-1 in state semifinals played on the road.
  • Is 1-2 versus Polk County teams in the playoffs.

Lakeland

• Has appeared in 7 state finals, and won 6 titles.
  • Is 34-3 when playing at home in the playoffs over the past 20 years.  (2 losses to Plant and 1 loss to Hillsborough)
  • Has played in 14 state semifinals.  Is 7-7 in those games.
  • Has played 9 state semifinals at home.  Is 5-4 in those games.  Since 1996, is 5-2 in such games.
  • Only 2 teams have beaten Lakeland more than twice in the playoffs.  Osceola and Plant have each won 4 times.
  • Their game versus Edgewater will be only the second playoff game against an Orange County team in the past 35 years (beat Lake Nona 2014).

The playoff loss to Hillsborough in 2003 was at Hillsborough.

For what it's worth, 30 points is a lot for a Lakeland D to give up in a region final..a Lakeland team that expects to challenge for a state title that is.  Only once did a team score 30 points in a playoff game versus one of Lakeland's title teams, and that was the crazy OT game versus Aquinas in 06.

I didn't watch the game against Plant, so maybe there were extenuating circumstances.  I've been spoiled by some of the Lakeland defenses of the past.

Lakeland run defense is stout. Pass defense leaves a little to be desired. Plant figured that out in the 2nd half and started throwing long. But Lakeland was able to answer every Plant TD. Lakeland adjusted on the last few defensive series and defended the pass better. We’ll see what Edgewater can do. 

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

For what it's worth, 30 points is a lot for a Lakeland D to give up in a region final..a Lakeland team that expects to challenge for a state title that is.  Only once did a team score 30 points in a playoff game versus one of Lakeland's title teams, and that was the crazy OT game versus Aquinas in 06.

I didn't watch the game against Plant, so maybe there were extenuating circumstances.  I've been spoiled by some of the Lakeland defenses of the past.

Lakeland kept Plant in check in the first half, allowing only 3 points. In the 2nd half, each time Plant had the ball, they were down by at least 18 points. So, they had to air it out. Of major concern for Lakeland is the fact that, with that big 2nd half lead, they allowed Plant to easily get behind the secondary for big plays three separate times. Like, glaring, WIDE open. Safety bit on one play-action, and a DB fell down on another play. But, problem is, Lakeland insists on staying in its base personnel all game long. So, Plant goes 4 WR (I think, off the top of my head), Lakeland's still in its 4-3 defense. Eiither you end up with a LB on a WR (mismatch), you have a safety on a WR and zero coverage over the top, or you have to be in a zone where a good QB can find the creases. Manatee got them a couple times with a similar scenario back in week 1. Against such packages, Lakeland is going to have to stay in zone for most of the game. Hopefully, this serves as a wake up call and they're able to patch some things up. If that's the kind of coverage we're going to be stuck with, Edgewater and/or STA will carve them up. They might be able to win a shootout vs. Edgewater, but not against STA.

1 minute ago, gwdrum75 said:

Lakeland run defense is stout. Pass defense leaves a little to be desired. Plant figured that out in the 2nd half and started throwing long. But Lakeland was able to answer every Plant TD. Lakeland adjusted on the last few defensive series and defended the pass better. We’ll see what Edgewater can do. 

Edgewater's QB is like Demarkcus Bowman with an arm. I think if Lakeland sits in zone all game, he probably won't consistently be able to make the reads and throws he needs. But, against man he'll be able to chuck it deep, hit slants, curls etc, not to mention scramble all game long. I fear Edgewater is going to score a good number of points.

23 minutes ago, skyway said:

Edgewater's QB is like Demarkcus Bowman with an arm. I think if Lakeland sits in zone all game, he probably won't consistently be able to make the reads and throws he needs. But, against man he'll be able to chuck it deep, hit slants, curls etc, not to mention scramble all game long. I fear Edgewater is going to score a good number of points.

Yeah. I think we are looking at shootouts to finish the season. 

I was glad to see Zipperer targeted more. His last TD run was a thing of beauty....just refusing to go down. They’re going to have to continue that to keep it loosened up for Bowman & McWilliams. 

Plant hit 4 big pass plays. 2 Were long bomb, single play drive, TD's, One set up a TD and another was a TD when a defender slipped. Lakeland eventually tightened up as gwdrum75 stated. 

At one point it was an 11 point difference then Lakeland tightened up and made it a 26 point margin. While Lakeland scored every time it had the ball during that part of the game. Plant did not.

While I discount nobody, LHS secondary hopefully learned a lesson. How is Edegewater"s rush defense? 

10 hours ago, gwdrum75 said:

Lets be real for a second and take off the rose colored glasses:

Lakeland stacked the box in a defensive adjustment in the second half of the game, to shut the Plant run game down. It subsequently made its self vulnerable to the Pass and the HBC for Plant took full advantage of it. The fact that Lakeland wasn't capable of playing Plant straight up, tells me all I need to know about Lakeland's ability defensively against an competent offensive attack.

Unless Edgewater places all 11 in the defensive box they won't be able to stop Bowman nor that huge monster they got as a FB!!! Geez those two are better than Rainey and his FB companion!!! Freaking fast just freaking fast...

Sorry but Lakeland is going to blow them out. Throw out all the history and record books because the don't mean crapola!!!

1 hour ago, FL_HS_football said:

Lakeland stacked the box in a defensive adjustment in the second half of the game, to shut the Plant run game down. It subsequently made its self vulnerable to the Pass and the HBC for Plant took full advantage of it. The fact that Lakeland wasn't capable of playing Plant straight up, tells me all I need to know about Lakeland's ability defensively against an competent offensive attack.

I'm not sure why you bother to try to pass as some objective observer. You're a Manatee fan who's jealous of Lakeland this year. It's OK. We were jealous of Manatee a few years ago. Just own it. :)

Lakeland's qb has only 70 passing attempts on the year.  Coming into the playoffs, in the last game of the season, a 50-0 blowout, he had 4 attempts.  And a similar result in their easy playoff win over Kathleen.  With all of the easy wins they had this season, I am a bit surprised they did not get him more exposure to get ready for the playoffs. 

I realize that number is not completely unusual for Lakeland teams of the past, but I had the impression they might be opening things up a bit this year with this qb.  Hopefully that doesn't bite them.

23 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Lakeland's qb has only 70 passing attempts on the year.  Coming into the playoffs, in the last game of the season, a 50-0 blowout, he had 4 attempts.  And a similar result in their easy playoff win over Kathleen.  With all of the easy wins they had this season, I am a bit surprised they did not get him more exposure to get ready for the playoffs. 

I realize that number is not completely unusual for Lakeland teams of the past, but I had the impression they might be opening things up a bit this year with this qb.  Hopefully that doesn't bite them.

Why open it up? It isn't their strength. Their strength is running the ball. They tried to open it up the past three years with Hotchkiss and Thomas. Both QB's regressed as the season went along. And when the passing games went away, all they could rely on was the running back because the QB wasn't a threat to run.

It looks like they have started looking for Zipperer more, which is a good thing. But, if they start trying to throw the ball around the field, there will be alot of 3 & outs. It just isn't their game.

36 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

They scored so many points so quickly through other means (rushing, defense and special teams) that it was hard to do much in that regard. But, there were times where they tried to open it up a little more in blowouts.

It is interesting to go back and watch the QB McWilliams's highlights from both the spring game at Venice and last season at Jenkins. Against Venice-without Bowman playing and with three current starting OLs out-they did look like a spread, open it up type of team.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2A05hJ

2 hours ago, FL_HS_football said:

Exactly what did I miss with my 'rose colored glasses' on? I believe I said exactly the same thing you just did......just without the dig at Lakeland to finish it off. Good teams make adjustments to win games. Win or go home in the playoffs. Doesn't matter if some random bystander thinks you aren't playing up to their expectation. If you have more points than your opponent at the end of the game, you win. The 'Lakeland wasn't capable of playing Plant straight up' comment is pretty ridiculous. You make adjustments to give yourself the best chance to win

Fact is, they are in the state semi-finals. Only four teams from each classification can say that.

Now, I'm not the biggest Manatee fan for a couple of reasons (grew up in Lakeland and graduated from Southeast). But I do pull for the kids, since I coached some of them at the Pop Warner level.

22 minutes ago, gwdrum75 said:

Why open it up? It isn't their strength. Their strength is running the ball. They tried to open it up the past three years with Hotchkiss and Thomas. Both QB's regressed as the season went along. And when the passing games went away, all they could rely on was the running back because the QB wasn't a threat to run.

It looks like they have started looking for Zipperer more, which is a good thing. But, if they start trying to throw the ball around the field, there will be alot of 3 & outs. It just isn't their game.

I understand..if it's not there, it's not there.  It blows me away that even in a football-rich place like Polk County, we still have a limited number of qb's who can throw the ball consistently. 

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I understand..if it's not there, it's not there.  It blows me away that even in a football-rich place like Polk County, we still have a limited number of qb's who can throw the ball consistently. 

One of the bigger complaints I had the past three years was the lack of a legitimate QB coach at Lakeland. One that could work on mechanics and nuances of the passing game. I put some blame on the regression there. But, not sure how many experienced QB coaches want to come to a public school in Florida when they could probably make more at a private or going out of state.

Just now, gwdrum75 said:

One of the bigger complaints I had the past three years was the lack of a legitimate QB coach at Lakeland. One that could work on mechanics and nuances of the passing game. I put some blame on the regression there. But, not sure how many experienced QB coaches want to come to a public school in Florida when they could probably make more at a private or going out of state.

It is an embarrassment for the state.  Friends from OOS who watch FL games cannot believe how inconsistent qb play is relative to other aspects of the game.  I bet there are some 6A-8A schools out there who would have been dead in the water this year if they lost their starter.  Amazing that schools with 2000+ kids struggle to have a solid backup.

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Do ya'll think Lakeland's qb could lead them down the field 80 yards with a minute left if he needed to?  And has he had practice leading such a drive under game conditions?  Am not trying to be funny, just asking an honest question.  

He hasn't had to so far. I would hope they have worked on it in practice and have a plan for that scenario. But, Lakeland isn't a fast offense. QB runs to the sideline every play. So, to run a two-minute offense would take everyone from the head coach on down.