Edgewater vs Lakeland Facts

OldSchoolLion

1 minute ago, 181pl said:

Their bracket was much tougher than STAs, who benefits from a super weak district and cake walk region.

Venice's region was twice as hard.

I figured he meant the north side of 7a bracket is tougher 

Which honestly you could make that argument, while north side doesn't have a team as loaded as STA the north side is a lot better in terms of depth

If you took the best team out of 7a north (whoever that is could be up for debate) the 7a north would still look like a solid region 

If you took STA out of 7a south the region would instantly be one of the weakest in the large classes 

But yeah 7a region 3 is better than 7a region 4, STA and Dwyer are solid and then PBL and Mcarthur were decent this year but there isn't anything after that worth mentioning 

They may want to shake up a few regions in the upcoming reclassification 

On 11/25/2018 at 2:21 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

I understand..if it's not there, it's not there.  It blows me away that even in a football-rich place like Polk County, we still have a limited number of qb's who can throw the ball consistently. 

Where did you hear that?

While PC has historically produced the Lorenzo Hampton's, Jeff Chaney's, Travis Henry's, Chris Rainey's, it also has it's share of star passers, past and present.

True freshman Tate Whatley(Lakeland Christian/Southern Miss), Keavis Thomas(Lakeland/WKU) are already playing and producing. Red-shirt freshman Holden Hotchkiss will start at North Dakota St next season.

This season Polk has a 2K yards 4-star junior, a senior with 1800 yards pass/250 rush, a soph with 1700 yards pass/380 rush in 8 games, another senior with 1k rushing & passing.

In addition we have two duel threat juniors who both have nearly 1500 combined yards.

None of the above include Lakeland's QB obviously. Different system, different results. He threw for over 1200 yards and rush for 800 at GJenkins because he was the "show". At the L he's just a "part" of the show!

The demise of Polk County signal callers has been greatly exaggerated.

https://twitter.com/CountyPolk

4 hours ago, 181pl said:

Their bracket was much tougher than STAs, who benefits from a super weak district and cake walk region.

Venice's region was twice as hard.

Who has Venice really played on their side of the bracket, I can bet you that South Broward would give Venice alot of problems might beat em too and Dwyer would beat Venice or Braden River from that side of the bracket 

3 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

Who has Venice really played on their side of the bracket, I can bet you that South Broward would give Venice alot of problems might beat em too and Dwyer would beat Venice or Braden River from that side of the bracket 

LMAO umm no Venice would beat south broward 

23 minutes ago, LakelandGator said:

Where did you hear that?

This comment concerning Lakeland prompted mine...."Why open it up? It isn't their strength. Their strength is running the ball. They tried to open it up the past three years with Hotchkiss and Thomas. Both QB's regressed as the season went along."

It sounded as if Lakeland's "experiment" did not work, and was assuming, maybe wrongly, it was because they didn't have the level of passer needed.

3 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

This comment concerning Lakeland prompted mine...."Why open it up? It isn't their strength. Their strength is running the ball. They tried to open it up the past three years with Hotchkiss and Thomas. Both QB's regressed as the season went along."

It sounded as if Lakeland's "experiment" did not work, and was assuming, maybe wrongly, it was because they didn't have the level of passer needed.

They were both good QB's, with the numbers and D1 offers to prove it. Pocket passers. Both the '16 and '17 teams should have been in Orlando.

However Castle's "best teams" usually have a duel threat guy under center running his trap option, rolling out making plays on the edge.

Chris Griffin 2004(Ga Southern) was a magician and maybe the best ever. 1400 pass yards, 700 rush yards

Billy Lowe 2005(Northern Illinois) was built like a LB, and played that position as a junior. 1500 pass yards, 500 rush yards.

Ski McWilliams 2018 is a scaled down version of Griffin.

25 minutes ago, LakelandGator said:

They were both good QB's, with the numbers and D1 offers to prove it. Pocket passers. Both the '16 and '17 teams should have been in Orlando.

However Castle's "best teams" usually have a duel threat guy under center running his trap option, rolling out making plays on the edge.

Chris Griffin 2004(Ga Southern) was a magician and maybe the best ever. 1400 pass yards, 700 rush yards

Billy Lowe 2005(Northern Illinois) was built like a LB, and played that position as a junior. 1500 pass yards, 500 rush yards.

Ski McWilliams 2018 is a scaled down version of Griffin.

Admittedly, I have a hangup about Florida and qb talent.  For the overall amount of talent produced, the amount of NFL-quality qb's we produce is disappointing.  Below are FL products who recently played in the NFL.  Not one took off.  Many of the kids struggle to adjust to the college game.  And of those who succeed there, many never make it in the NFL.  

Nathan Peterman/Buffalo(Bartram Trail)-released November 2018

Jacoby Brissett/Indianapolis(Dwyer)-backup role

Jeff Driskel/Cincinnati(Hagerty)-backup role

Thad Lewis/Baltimore(Hialeah Miami-Lakes)-released September 2017

Geno Smith/Los Angeles(Miramar)-backup role

Brandon Doughty/Miami(North Broward Prep)-waived April 2018 

Paxton Lynch/Denver (Trinity Christian)-released September 2018

6 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Lakeland has had some great passing QB's in their past (Peace, Willis, Lowe). But, they had the ability to beat people with their feet as well. I am definitely not saying Hotchkiss and Thomas aren't great QB's, they just weren't the typical Lakeland style QB. And that caused Lakeland to lose one aspect of their offense that has typically made them successful. They both have the talent to succeed at the college level. And that is where I think a dedicated QB coach , that they have at the college level, helps them..

Has Lakeland won a state championship with a non-mobile QB, absolutely. Blair Castle didn't have to pass, or run. He just had to manage the offense and hand it off to Rainey or Taylor.

9 hours ago, Floridatech said:

Dunno about South Broward lol, but Dwyer vs Venice and Braden River would be a good one.   I don't get why Dwyer doesn't go and play anyone.    

4 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Admittedly, I have a hangup about Florida and qb talent.  For the overall amount of talent produced, the amount of NFL-quality qb's we produce is disappointing.  Below are FL products who recently played in the NFL.  Not one took off.  Many of the kids struggle to adjust to the college game.  And of those who succeed there, many never make it in the NFL.  

Nathan Peterman/Buffalo(Bartram Trail)-released November 2018

Jacoby Brissett/Indianapolis(Dwyer)-backup role

Jeff Driskel/Cincinnati(Hagerty)-backup role

Thad Lewis/Baltimore(Hialeah Miami-Lakes)-released September 2017

Geno Smith/Los Angeles(Miramar)-backup role

Brandon Doughty/Miami(North Broward Prep)-waived April 2018 

Paxton Lynch/Denver (Trinity Christian)-released September 2018

I understand your point and somewhat agree, but consider the fact that for decades the public schools dominated the state with great athletes at RB, and big powerful OL's.

The QB's were not asked to do much more than "manage" the game as gwdrum alluded, and rarely did publics employ QB coaches to develop their skills. And let's not overlook the thought that HS coaching in this state is considered average compared to the talent level. I will let you be your own judge on that thought.

The game has changed drastically the last 10-12 years, especially with the explosion of private schools, their money, more sophisticated offenses, 7 on 7, passing leagues, better coaching.

I think going forward we will see more Fla QB's playing at the highest level and being successful. At least we can hope that is the case.

6 minutes ago, LakelandGator said:

I understand your point and somewhat agree, but consider the fact that for decades the public schools dominated the state with great athletes at RB, and big powerful OL's.

The QB's were not asked to do much more than "manage" the game as gwdrum alluded, and rarely did publics employ QB coaches to develop their skills. And let's not overlook the thought that HS coaching in this state is considered average compared to the talent level. I will let you be your own judge on that thought.

The game has changed drastically the last 10 years, especially with the explosion of private schools, their money, more sophisticated offenses, 7 on 7, and passing leagues, better coaching.

I think going forward we will see more Fla QB's playing at the highest level and being successful. At least we can hope that is the case.

I hope so, too, but am a bit pessimistic.  Kids today better be ready to play right out of high school.  And some of the kids I've seen coming out of Florida would not be able to successfully start as a qb as a true freshman in a Power 5 conference.  Some kids in other states like CA, TX, and GA are likely getting better position coaching and, in that sense, may have an edge on the FL kids when they get to college and are fighting for position on the depth chart.    

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I hope so, too, but am a bit pessimistic.  Kids today better be ready to play right out of high school.  And some of the kids I've seen coming out of Florida would not be able to successfully start as a qb as a true freshman in a Power 5 conference.  Some kids in other states like CA, TX, and GA are likely getting better position coaching and, in that sense, may have an edge on the FL kids when they get to college and are fighting for position on the depth chart.    

Yes that is still the case, so we must get better at our craft. QB coaches who played at the college level would help our kids be more prepared for that level.

The question is how many publics can afford to hire them?:(

5 minutes ago, LakelandGator said:

Yes that is still the case, so we must get better at our craft. QB coaches who played at the college level would help our kids be more prepared for that level.

The question is how many publics can afford to hire them?:(

I have no doubt there is a youngster in FL at this moment with the potential to be a future Trevor Lawrence.  The question is, will he get the coaching to achieve those heights?  It's not like Lawrence grew up in a football hotbed.  The "standard" training for qb's is at a different level in Georgia.

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I have no doubt there is a youngster in FL at this moment with the potential to be a future Trevor Lawrence.  The question is, will he get the coaching to achieve those heights?  It's not like Lawrence grew up in a football hotbed.  The "standard" training for qb's is at a different level in Georgia.

The one fact that may matter more than any other in this game is that QB R.J. Harvey for Edgewater is a rare phenom. He's nothing like Trevor Lawrence. But, if Lamar Jackson can win a Heisman trophy, this kid may win one too. Short at 5'10", but built and runs like a running back. Defensive coordinators must have nightmares watching film in preparation for him. 

14 hours ago, Floridatech said:

You’re just jealous that Venice is still in the playoffs, more than what can be said for Vero Beach. I don’t want to hear trash talk from you, you said back in March Venice would return to being a 9 win team and lose in the second round in 2018 but YOU WERE WRONG BUDDY! Venice is going to beat STA this week! As Columbia fan already said, STA has benefited from a weak schedule and cruised this far except for one heart breaker to Miami Central.

2 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

You’re just jealous that Venice is still in the playoffs, more than what can be said for Vero Beach. I don’t want to hear trash talk from you, you said back in March Venice would return to being a 9 win team and lose in the second round in 2018 but YOU WERE WRONG BUDDY! Venice is going to beat STA this week! As Columbia fan already said, STA has benefited from a weak schedule and cruised this far except for one heart breaker to Miami Central.

STA did play DFB and Dematha as well so i wouldn't say weak schedule 

However that region outside of STA and Dwyer is pretty weak on a state level

6 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Jealous of Venice you know what I get tired of you fake Indians getting transfers from FOUR different STATES and y'all have a nerve to talk shit bout STA LOL and the reason why you wanted us to win state so bad is because Vero put a ASS whoppin on y'all and we are a traditional 2nd round loser and y'all didn't wanna say y'all lost to a 2nd round loser same shit that Viera poster said last year that Vero and would be champs last year but both our asses lost in the second round