Edgewater vs Lakeland Facts

OldSchoolLion

2 minutes ago, gwdrum75 said:

He hasn't had to so far. I would hope they have worked on it in practice and have a plan for that scenario. But, Lakeland isn't a fast offense. QB runs to the sideline every play. So, to run a two-minute offense would take everyone from the head coach on down.

And, realistically.....their two minute offense has tended to involve handing the ball to Bowman and watch him run 80 yards down the field.

3 hours ago, skyway said:

I'm not sure why you bother to try to pass as some objective observer. You're a Manatee fan who's jealous of Lakeland this year. It's OK. We were jealous of Manatee a few years ago. Just own it. :)

"Just own it" Lakeland's defense is suspect on a championship level, Its offense starts and stops with Bowman. Collectively is that enough to get Lakeland its 7th state title? My OPINION....... probably not this year. As far as being objective......I've taken trips to watch Lakeland play football when I had no reason to be there other than to watch Lakeland play..........I've watched Lakelend play before the Castle era. I was there in Dunedin to watch them win their 1st state title, etc....... I believe I have plenty to be objective about in as far as Lakeland football is concerned.

1 hour ago, gwdrum75 said:

Exactly what did I miss with my 'rose colored glasses' on? I believe I said exactly the same thing you just did......just without the dig at Lakeland to finish it off. Good teams make adjustments to win games. Win or go home in the playoffs. Doesn't matter if some random bystander thinks you aren't playing up to their expectation. If you have more points than your opponent at the end of the game, you win. The 'Lakeland wasn't capable of playing Plant straight up' comment is pretty ridiculous. You make adjustments to give yourself the best chance to win

Fact is, they are in the state semi-finals. Only four teams from each classification can say that.

Now, I'm not the biggest Manatee fan for a couple of reasons (grew up in Lakeland and graduated from Southeast). But I do pull for the kids, since I coached some of them at the Pop Warner level.

Well we have something common, class of 78 Southeast HS here! Coach Maechtle was the defensive coordinator at SE then, I had him for a psychology class. As far as making adjustments go, making an adjustment doesn't typically mean, subsequently making yourself vulnerable in another area......unless your team lacks sufficient talent, which from what I've seen this year of Lakeland.........I believe Lakeland lacks on the defensive side of the ball. No digging here, just being honest about things.

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I understand..if it's not there, it's not there.  It blows me away that even in a football-rich place like Polk County, we still have a limited number of qb's who can throw the ball consistently. 

Old school coaches are a factor. Can't really argue with the notion that more could be done in this area.

17 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

Well we have something common, class of 78 Southeast HS here! Coach Maechtle was the defensive coordinator at SE then, I had him for a psychology class. As far as making adjustments go, making an adjustment doesn't typically mean, subsequently making yourself vulnerable in another area......unless your team lacks sufficient talent, which from what I've seen this year of Lakeland.........I believe Lakeland lacks on the defensive side of the ball. No digging here, just being honest about things.

Critiquing is fine. If an adjustment makes you vulnerable in one area, but allows you to win the game, I'll take that adjustment all day long. It just sounds like you don't believe Lakeland deserves to be here. Which, if it is your opinion, is fine. I'm just going to counter with why they ARE here.

And.......I'm just a little behind you. Southeast C/O '93. I missed out on those two state championships by one year......

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Do ya'll think Lakeland's qb could lead them down the field 80 yards with a minute left if he needed to?  And has he had practice leading such a drive under game conditions?  Am not trying to be funny, just asking an honest question.  

Looking at the video of the QB I shared from the spring, it's possible. Watching them this season and many others, I'm inclined to answer no. The time management at the end of the 1st half was evidence of their limitations here IMO. They scored a TD anyway, but clearly didn't manage the clock as they should have.

46 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

"Just own it" Lakeland's defense is suspect on a championship level, Its offense starts and stops with Bowman. Collectively is that enough to get Lakeland its 7th state title? My OPINION....... probably not this year. As far as being objective......I've taken trips to watch Lakeland play football when I had no reason to be there other than to watch Lakeland play..........I've watched Lakelend play before the Castle era. I was there in Dunedin to watch them win their 1st state title, etc....... I believe I have plenty to be objective about in as far as Lakeland football is concerned.

Lakeland unquestionably has enough to win a state title in any other classification. Do they have enough to beat STA? At the moment it looks like they do not. However, I just went back and re-watched some of the Plant game. After they got scorched on the three big plays, they replaced a safety and took a LB out and went nickel. Plant tried them deep again and were denied. Plant turned it over on downs. It is possible that Plant caught them off guard (due to so many blowouts and shutouts) and took advantage of some dumb calls/decisions by DBs, but that those are mostly correctable. Ultimately, you're looking at three big (and awful) playsbut beyond that the defense was fine. So, we shall see!

2 minutes ago, gwdrum75 said:

Critiquing is fine. If an adjustment makes you vulnerable in one area, but allows you to win the game, I'll take that adjustment all day long. It just sounds like you don't believe Lakeland deserves to be here. Which, if it is your opinion, is fine. I'm just going to counter with why they ARE here.

And.......I'm just a little behind you. Southeast C/O '93. I missed out on those two state championships by one year......

I'm very interested in seeing Bowman go against STA's D-1 loaded defense. I just don't see a Lakeland team that has what it takes to upend STA this year. You have to have something going for you to do that is out of the ordinary team wise, Manatee had a D-1 loaded defensive line and a outstanding LB's, Venice had a very talented as well as mature OL and front 7 on defense last year.....is why public schools have such a hard time handling STA year in and year out. Beyond Bowman I just not seeing anything, perhaps if Lakeland had better QB play but the QB they have now if just adequate at best......my opinion

5 minutes ago, 181pl said:

They don't have a good passing game. Not saying they can't, just saying they don't. They'll need balance to win the next two.

Some balance is needed, but not necessarily any more than what they had for Plant. The simple, complimentary passing plays off of their best runs will be enough. The 62-yard PA TD pass to Zipperer being an obvious example. Against STA, they'll need to control the clock and avoid turnovers as well. If they approach it like they have to score a TD every possession-and/or if they really do end up needing to score a TD every possession-it ain't happening.

4 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

I'm very interested in seeing Bowman go against STA's D-1 loaded defense. I just don't see a Lakeland team that has what it takes to upend STA this year. You have to have something going for you to do that is out of the ordinary team wise, Manatee had a D-1 loaded defensive line and a outstanding LB's, Venice had a very talented as well as mature OL and front 7 on defense last year.....is why public schools have such a hard time handling STA year in and year out. Beyond Bowman I just not seeing anything, perhaps if Lakeland had better QB play but the QB they have now if just adequate at best......my opinion

Lakeland has a D1 loaded DL as well, more so than that Manatee team. Though the DTs are really DEs playing inside.

Lakeland's run blocking up front (OL + TEs) plus Bowman will be too much for even STA...IF McWilliams continues to be a threat with his legs AND they periodically mix in Zipperer and maybe a deep ball on the perimeter.

But, no question STA is the favorite to win 7A.

17 minutes ago, skyway said:

Lakeland has a D1 loaded DL as well, more so than that Manatee team. Though the DTs are really DEs playing inside.

Lakeland's run blocking up front (OL + TEs) plus Bowman will be too much for even STA...IF McWilliams continues to be a threat with his legs AND they periodically mix in Zipperer and maybe a deep ball on the perimeter.

But, no question STA is the favorite to win 7A.

Manatee had true D-1's at DT and DE, STA pulled a stunt during warm ups before the game that got Manatee fired up as well........I was just recalling how Castle utilized Rainey  his soph year out of the backfield against STA via the pass......he did everything he could to put Rainey in space that game against STA......I thought then how genius that was of Castle that game ! I could have sworn

Correction: I just went back and checked the stats and the stats don't back up my memory of the game......I could have sworn Rainey catching several passes out of the backfield that game....

Lakeland has to take care of business against Edgewater first, which is not a given. But, once you get to Orlando, anything can happen. STA would be heavy favorites against either Lakeland or Edgewater.

Hell, STA probably should have beaten Lakeland in 06. If they don’t fumble an obscene amount of times and crank up their game before there is 2 minutes left to go, they probably win that game. 

Just get to Orlando, then leave it all out there. These are 14,15,16,17 year old kids. I don’t bet for or against what they may do at any time. 

2 hours ago, gwdrum75 said:

Lakeland has to take care of business against Edgewater first, which is not a given. But, once you get to Orlando, anything can happen. STA would be heavy favorites against either Lakeland or Edgewater.

Hell, STA probably should have beaten Lakeland in 06. If they don’t fumble an obscene amount of times and crank up their game before there is 2 minutes left to go, they probably win that game. 

Just get to Orlando, then leave it all out there. These are 14,15,16,17 year old kids. I don’t bet for or against what they may do at any time. 

That’s IF STA and Lakeland get past their opponents this week. And I’m thinking Venice will beat STA this year

31 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

That’s IF STA and Lakeland get past their opponents this week. And I’m thinking Venice will beat STA this year

I would love for Venice to beat STA. 

My fear for Venice against STA is the way they play. If they play at warp speed, they better hope they move the ball. If they don't, their Defense won't be able to get a drink before they are back out on the field.

37 minutes ago, gwdrum75 said:

I would love for Venice to beat STA. 

My fear for Venice against STA is the way they play. If they play at warp speed, they better hope they move the ball. If they don't, their Defense won't be able to get a drink before they are back out on the field.

I’m worried about that too, I think theyll get it done tho

While it has been 60 years since their last meeting, Lakeland and Edgewater played 7 years straight in the 1950's. This will be the first meeting since 1958. Lakeland had the upper hand during that time taking the 7 game series 5-1-1.

1952 Lakeland - 25  Edgewater - 20
1953 Lakeland - 23  Edgewater - 6
1954 Lakeland - 7    Edgewater - 12
1955 Lakeland - 28  Edgewater - 16
1956 Lakeland - 20  Edgewater - 13
1957 Lakeland - 21  Edgewater - 14
1958 Lakeland - 13  Edgewater - 13

5 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

What do you mean by that? Vero Beach needs to schedule STA or a good Miami team if they want a chance at a state title. Period.

no they don't.  Scheduling STA or a good Miami team means nothing for there quest for a state title.  SOS is overrated.  Lakeland, Edgewater, CCC, Naples, Crestview, Madison County, University and North Marion just to name a few all had easier SOS than Vero and are still playing.  

Columbia, Miami Central, AHP and Carol City had tough SOS and are sitting at home.    

it is water cooler talk.  Sounds good but means nothing