Jump to content

  • Announcements

    • Joshua Wilson

      Rules of the Forums   09/02/2017

      Please be sure to read the rules of the forums. This is only to help all of us have a good time and we want to keep this board as fun as possible. 
    • SportsNut25

      Talking Other Sports   11/08/2017

      For those interested in talking about other sports, you can talk about them here. 
Sign in to follow this  
OldSchoolLion

Deerfield Beach vs Columbus Facts

Recommended Posts

Deerfield Beach and Columbus have never met in the playoffs.  Here are some interesting facts about each team.  

Deerfield Beach

  • Has appeared in 1 state final and was runner-up in 2005. 
  • Has played in 6 state semifinals and was 1-5 in those games.  Its last appearance in a semi was in 2016.
  • Is 25-15 when playing at home in the playoffs.  Has hosted 3 state semifinals (1995, 2003, 2016) and lost each time.
  • Is 4-2 versus Miami-Dade teams in the playoffs.

Columbus

  • Has appeared in 3 state finals, and was runner-up in each. (1980, 1982, 2014)
  • Has played in 6 state semifinals and is 3-3 in those games.
  • Has played 2 state semifinals on the road and was 1-1 in those games.  Has only played 5 playoff games outside of Miami-Dade County, 3 state finals and 2 playoff games in Broward County.  Columbus was 1-4 won in those games. 
  • Is 2-3 versus Broward teams in the playoffs.
  • This will be Columbus' 5th 8A state semi appearance in the past 8 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the amount of talent Deerfield has, I have been baffled by the Bucks' inability to put points on the scoreboard, at times.  Their offense has not scored a point in the second half of each of the last two games.  Jaylan Knighton is one of the top rb's in the state with over 2000 rushing yards this season.  Deerfield has 3, 3-star wr's in Donte Banton, Bryce Gowdy and Deajuan McDougle.  All have multiple Power 5 offers.   And junior qb Derohn King showed promise coming into the season.

The Bucks' special teams were a mess versus St Thomas, and they muffed a punt last week versus PB Central.  No way DB will be able to afford such mishaps against Columbus, who reminds me a bit of St Thomas.  I think DB's best shot will be to get out in front by a substantial margin early.  I've seen Columbus start off slowly in some games, so the possibility may exist.  But DB has started off slowly in some games, too.  If Columbus gets out in front early, it's likely game over, as evidenced by what they did to Palmetto and South Dade.  Once they get momentum, they are a dangerous team.  

Another potential issue I see with DB is that they have let some teams hang around in games, ie Chaminade, PB Central.  They needed second half spurts to pull away from Miramar and Westlake(GA) in games that were very close at halftime.  And DB needed a last second TD to beat Buford(GA).  As we all know, one cannot allow teams this deep in the playoffs to hang around without a lot of risk.  And certainly not a team like Columbus, who has demonstrated they can put a lot of points on the board quickly.        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game is VERY interesting.  Have absolutely no idea how this game turns out.   Both got beat bad in one game vs a legit national elite team, and have taken care of business against every other good team they've faced.   Gonna be a good one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I'll take the home team whoever that is.  Both tend to get a pretty favorable whistle at home.  

954gator, the officiating crew for all state high school football playoff games is chosen by the FHSAA. The officials for all playoff games travel, and are not affiliated with either team competing in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players to watch from Columbus:

Kalani Norris/senior WR - Georgia Tech commit; very dangerous in space; big-time playmaker

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/kalani-norris-22917

Xzavier Henderson/junior WR - big target at 6'3" 

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/232673/xzavier-henderson

Henry Parrish/junior RB - runs bigger than his size; elusive when he gets loose; this kid will be one of hottest rb recruits in south FL next year

https://247sports.com/Player/Henry-Parrish-46039386/

Gary Cooper/senior TE - Indiana commit

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/232082/gary-cooper

Moody McDuffey/junior qb - considered dual threat but seems like more of a pocket passer; ran the offense well when I saw him 

https://usatodayhss.com/2017/meet-brandon-mcduffey-the-qb-who-hasnt-played-a-hs-game-but-committed-to-fau

 

This defensive line is one of the best I have seen this year.  DB's O-line will have their hands full.   

Jeramy Passmore-senior DT - Indiana commit

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/jeramy-passmore-180840

Dylan Perez-senior DT - Army commit - this kid is a beast and can really move for someone his size

https://247sports.com/player/dylan-perez-46039387/

Elijah Roberts-junior DE-already numerous Power 5 offers

https://247sports.com/Player/Elijah-Roberts-46051699/

Jabari Ishmael-sophomore DE -this kid is going to be a monster recruit

https://247sports.com/Player/Jabari-Ishmael-46058192/

Rudy Puig-senior safety - watch for him to block kicks; has been very impressive when I have seen him play

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/jeramy-passmore-180840

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Players to watch from Columbus:

Kalani Norris/senior WR - Georgia Tech commit; very dangerous in space; big-time playmaker

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/kalani-norris-22917

Xzavier Henderson/junior WR - big target at 6'3" 

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/232673/xzavier-henderson

Henry Parrish/junior RB - runs bigger than his size; elusive when he gets loose; this kid will be one of hottest rb recruits in south FL next year

https://247sports.com/Player/Henry-Parrish-46039386/

Gary Cooper/senior TE - Indiana commit

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/232082/gary-cooper

Moody McDuffey/junior qb - considered dual threat but seems like more of a pocket passer; ran the offense well when I saw him 

https://usatodayhss.com/2017/meet-brandon-mcduffey-the-qb-who-hasnt-played-a-hs-game-but-committed-to-fau

 

This defensive line is one of the best I have seen this year.  DB's O-line will have their hands full.   

Jeramy Passmore-senior DT - Indiana commit

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/jeramy-passmore-180840

Dylan Perez-senior DT - Army commit - this kid is a beast and can really move for someone his size

https://247sports.com/player/dylan-perez-46039387/

Elijah Roberts-junior DE-already numerous Power 5 offers

https://247sports.com/Player/Elijah-Roberts-46051699/

Jabari Ishmael-sophomore DE -this kid is going to be a monster recruit

https://247sports.com/Player/Jabari-Ishmael-46058192/

Rudy Puig-senior safety - watch for him to block kicks; has been very impressive when I have seen him play

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/jeramy-passmore-180840

Also Demetrius Ford, he usually wears #1 but wore #30 last game in honor of the young man Ari Arteaga who passed this summer. He plays corner but will take on running back to relieve pressure on Parish.

Another thing to note is that both Henderson and Norris will see action as DB's on the other side of the ball.

And the edge goes to Columbus for kicking - Nick Maza - having a solid year although they haven't needed to rely heavily on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

954gator, the officiating crew for all state high school football playoff games is chosen by the FHSAA. The officials for all playoff games travel, and are not affiliated with either team competing in the game.

The facts won't convince a lot of people that the officials are not biased for or against one team or the other. In fact, the playoff officials are actually from areas where they would have little interest in either of the teams that they are officiating. But, you can't convince folks like the family at the Vanguard/Sebring game sitting next to me. I had to endure an entire game of a family of nitwits that were screaming at the officials using every vulgarity they could think of. The real problem was that they knew nothing about football and rules thereof. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Proseteye said:

The facts won't convince a lot of people that the officials are not biased for or against one team or the other. In fact, the playoff officials are actually from areas where they would have little interest in either of the teams that they are officiating. But, you can't convince folks like the family at the Vanguard/Sebring game sitting next to me. I had to endure an entire game of a family of nitwits that were screaming at the officials using every vulgarity they could think of. The real problem was that they knew nothing about football and rules thereof. 

Proseteye, I agree with your statement 100%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 49 points Columbus scored tonight tied for third most ever scored versus a Bucks team in 66 playoff games.  Deerfield's state semi game results are as follows:

1993 @Southeast 23-0 Loss

1995 vs Dixie Hollins (home game) 56-21 Loss

2001 @Apopka 41-3 Loss

2003 vs Edgewater (home game) 31-28 Loss

2005 @Northwestern 17-12 Win

2007 @Northwestern 19-14 Loss

2016 vs Southridge (home game) 26-7 Loss

2018 vs Columbus (home game) 49-21 Loss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not understand Deerfield's play-calling last night, at least the parts of the game I saw.  To have an rb like Jaylon Knighton...they did little to establish a running game in the first half.  I am glad DB did what it did, because it allowed me to see how Columbus' D would react to that style of play. 

Columbus' d-line showed why it is one of the best in the state.  I do not think they got the recognition they deserved early in the season because they do not have a bunch of big-name players.  

They were getting penetration from the get-go.  From a pass protection standpoint, DB's o-line got owned.  To think Jabari Ishmael of Columbus is only a sophomore.  This kid is going to be utterly scary as he develops.

On paper, DB had all the talent in the world.  But they did everything they could not afford to do in that game...early mistakes, fall behind early, etc.  And once again, Columbus showed they are one of the most balanced, well-coached teams in the state.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×