Apopka Coach on the Move?

gatorman-uf

9 minutes ago, imjustafan2 said:

Blocked, due to not being a OS subscriber.

Multiple media outlets in Alabama are reporting that longtime Apopka coach Rick Darlington is in the running to become the new head football coach at Enterprise High School.

Kyle Moody of the The Enterprise Ledgerwrote Nov. 17 that, according to sources, the school has decided on Darlington to succeed David Faulkner, who resigned following seven seasons on the job.

Faulkner had a 38-38 record with four playoff appearances in seven seasons at Enterprise, which has a 644-320-34 record with two state playoff championships (1979, 1982) according to the Alabama High School Football Historical Society.

Moody mentioned in a story Wednesday that Darlington was in Alabama to interview for the job last week and that he “reportedly had a good visit” and is the frontrunner for the opening.

Efforts to reach Darlington by phone Thursday were unsuccessful.

Apopka athletic director Russell Wambles said Thursday that “nothing has happened” as of yet and “as of today he’s our head coach.”

The Southeast Sun newspaper of Enterprise reported Monday that Darlington and Venice, Fla., native Mark Rose, who played at Auburn and has remained in Alabama as a high school coach, were the leading candidates for the job, per Enterprise superintendent Greg Faught.

Enterprise was 10-2 as a Class 7A playoff team in 2016. But the Wildcats were 4-16 over the past two seasons.

Faught, who like Darlington is a Lakeland, Fla., native, according to Moody, told The Southeast Sun he hoped to name a new coach as early as next week.

Darlington is 167-47 in 17 seasons with the Blue Darters, including a 31-13 record in the playoffs and three state championships (2001, 2012, 2014).

His career head coaching record is 214-73, including a 26-14 mark at Valdosta, Ga. from 2003-05 and a 21-12 record at Eustis from 1996-98.

Any true fan of Apopka football is appreciative of what he has done with the program. Before RD, Apopka was a difficult Central Florida team to play. He upped the ante and made the program a state threat. 

Should Mr. Darlington depart, I wish him success in Alabama. He certainly gave me many memorable moments while he has coached the Blue Darters. 

On 11/30/2018 at 9:33 AM, Floridaatlantic1 said:

Coach Darlington has had a great run at APK. Good luck to him if he gets the job. All coaches message seem to be stale after 7-10 years. 

Question is...Who gets the APK job if he leaves and do they still try to run the single wing?

Will definitely be interesting to watch and see what happens.  

I was talking to a friend about this last night. If Darlington takes a few of his staff members with him, this job could be a trap. With Wekiva becoming more of a big-time player, a brand new staff could lead to some kids leaving. I'm not saying that will happen because I have no idea about the specifics. I do think that will be something to keep an eye on once "transfer season" starts though. 

10 minutes ago, Coach said:

I was talking to a friend about this last night. If Darlington takes a few of his staff members with him, this job could be a trap. With Wekiva becoming more of a big-time player, a brand new staff could lead to some kids leaving. I'm not saying that will happen because I have no idea about the specifics. I do think that will be something to keep an eye on once "transfer season" starts though. 

Dang and i was wanting Columbia to play apopka next year but idk if it would be good idea to schedule on a transition year like next year will likely be

Check out the supplements for RD and company. He is probably going to make 120k+. Most of his assistants will have coaching supplements between 10-15k. Pretty sweet deal!

Supplements are for one year only and are not included when base salary is computed.The principal must recommend a particular individual for a specific supplement each school year; no continuing service status in the supplement position is implied or should be assumed by the individual receiving a supplement. Supplements expressed as a percentage are to be computed by applying the stated percentage rate to the state teacher salary matrix, bachelor's degree and years of experience at 187 days. 

FOOTBALL HIGH SCHOOL

Head (1) (240 days) ** 79.1582%

Head (1) (187 days) 114.88732%

Assistant Head (1) 20.70%

Assistant (7) 17.77%

Defensive Coordinator (1) 20.70%

Offensive Coordinator (1) 20.70%

Strength and Conditioning Coordinator (1) 4.67%

Head 9th Grade (1) 16.74%

Assistant 9th Grade (5) 15.15%

** Position supplement calculated based on 240 days.