36-3  Orange Park 

38-7  Santa Fe 

16-0  Lincoln 

20-7  Suwannee 

21-7  Tate *playoffs*

50-20  Oveido  *Playoffs*

24-0 Bradenton Southeast  *playoffs*

41-7  Melbourne Palm Bay  *playoffs*

Not exactly 17 point wins every week but very close and included giving up a combined 7 points the 3rd and 4th round against 2 of the best programs of that era

Not saying Lakeland would lose to that team but I'm saying I think you are underestimating the number of good publics that have played over the years outside of south Florida 

Btw if you guess which team that is I'll reveal who each the opponents of those scores were

Teams added

While I say this game is STA's to lose, I believe Lakeland if game planned properly and the team stays away from major mistakes can beat STA. Lakeland has some truly special talent on offense, which is the only reason Im inclined to believe Lakeland could pull the win off. Again STA is the clear favorite going into this game.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:30 AM, 181pl said:

No. to #1. It's a good team, but passing game could be way better. Your 04-06 teams were better. Also I'd take 09 Plant and 2011 Manatee over this team if we're talking about powerful public school teams from north of Broward County. Technically Dwyer is North of Broward County and they also had one hell of a team in 2009.

Add to that 2000-2001 Lincoln Trojans.

Just now, peezy28 said:

But you have... I have not... But I think its probably outlandish... what do you say?

I would take 05 Lakeland.  This Lakeland team is very good but they have flaws.  Passing game is very suspect but they usually don't have to pass.  They are really big and physical and the RB is special.  Also defensively they have given up some big plays.  

Very good Lakeland team. Not sure about passing game. But 06 didn't pass much either. I think the difference is the Pouncey bros. Rainey and Bowman are both great no doubt. Jamar Taylor was also a beast. L has some other big backs this year but nobody with Jamar Taylor's production. Also no John Brown on the DL  who dominated on the HS level.

IF Harriet is suspended this gives L a punchers chance. Castle is pretty wiley and most coordinators are not a match for him.

1 hour ago, badbird said:

ejected for two unsportsmanlike penalties on bench

So he got ejected but was there for the post game handshake (well he did not shake Venice coaches hands and while some may say unsportsmanlike I say "well if you really don't like someone don't be phony about it"

2 hours ago, peezy28 said:

I must have missed that, what happened?

STA must have had 6-8 Pass Interference Penalties called against its defense, during its game with Venice Friday night, a couple of roughing the passer penalties, and finally when the game was settled already 2 late unsportsmanlike calls on the bench. They weren't called consecutively, but different points late in the game........while I wasn't able to see the game, it was very apparent this isn't the most discipline STA team.......I'm going to assume they get by with the talent edge, because most teams couldn't over-come that many calls in one game. 

2 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

STA must have had 6-8 Pass Interference Penalties called against its defense, during its game with Venice Friday night, a couple of roughing the passer penalties, and finally when the game was settled already 2 late unsportsmanlike calls on the bench. They weren't called consecutively, but different points late in the game........while I wasn't able to see the game, it was very apparent this isn't the most discipline STA team.......I'm going to assume they get by with the talent edge, because most teams couldn't over-come that many calls in one game. 

They always get by based on talent

STA is basically like IMG

If either team faces a team that can match them in talent more times than not I'll pick against them (like when i picked Mater Dei over IMG back when game was announced months in advance)

5 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If either team faces a team that can match them in talent more times than not I'll pick against them (like when i picked Mater Dei over IMG back when game was announced months in advance)

Oh brother. 

9 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

The problem was i actually did see lakeland on their streams

And yes the post about best team that will ever be assembled north of broward county is outlandish 

Yes, that can be a problem...if you're comparing one team who's every play is made available to other teams for whom the only things available are highlights and scores.  Have to use the same method of evaluation.

One of the things I've done which has been enlightening is watch full games from legendary teams, mostly college since they are more readily available. Something I've learned is that, for literally any team, it's fairly easy to find games or stretches of games where the team looked nothing like the legendary team we know them to be. 1995 Nebraska-the team that beat 12-0 Florida 62-24 before my very eyes-beat 3-8 Wazoo 35-21. I watched all of that team's game vs. Oklahoma both live on TV and again on youtube 25 years later. Not really impressive. We were certain going into that Fiesta Bowl we'd smash the Cornhuskers. Problem is, we were poor at evaluating teams. It was simply much more impressive and visually pleasing to watch Danny Wuerffel throw it around the park than it was to watch Nebraska run the option etc. Didn't actually translate to a very good evaluation of the power of the team as it turned out. Fact is, objectively, 1995 Nebraska always was dominate enough to rank among the best ever teams. Even with the semi-stinker vs. Wazoo and the Lakeland-over-Kathleen-rematch-esque win over Oklahoma. 

Lakeland's QB simply isn't impressive to watch. No debating that. And QB is obviously a very important position. But, in HS football in particular, I think lay people tend to put a little too much emphasis on the optics of the QB. Lakeland's QB, at this point in the season anyway, may be playing better than the guy they had last year. Even though that guy was 6'4" 250 and a D1 recruit...

18 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

That isn't True... George Smith was actually a hellavu coach despite what folks think about him.

Just now, peezy28 said:

Yeah.,.. but you said they always do... which implies your referring to pre and post GS

Ok I'll rephrase it

Post George Smith they have relied on talent more than coaching,  especially last few years 

Honestly the offense has struggled since their former OC left who is now coach at Cocoa and I'm not sold on that offense being "fixed"

On 12/3/2018 at 10:58 PM, skyway said:

Yes, that can be a problem...if you're comparing one team who's every play is made available to other teams for whom the only things available are highlights and scores.  Have to use the same method of evaluation.

One of the things I've done which has been enlightening is watch full games from legendary teams, mostly college since they are more readily available. Something I've learned is that, for literally any team, it's fairly easy to find games or stretches of games where the team looked nothing like the legendary team we know them to be. 1995 Nebraska-the team that beat 12-0 Florida 62-24 before my very eyes-beat 3-8 Wazoo 35-21. I watched all of that team's game vs. Oklahoma both live on TV and again on youtube 25 years later. Not really impressive. We were certain going into that Fiesta Bowl we'd smash the Cornhuskers. Problem is, we were poor at evaluating teams. It was simply much more impressive and visually pleasing to watch Danny Wuerffel throw it around the park than it was to watch Nebraska run the option etc. Didn't actually translate to a very good evaluation of the power of the team as it turned out. Fact is, objectively, 1995 Nebraska always was dominate enough to rank among the best ever teams. Even with the semi-stinker vs. Wazoo and the Lakeland-over-Kathleen-rematch-esque win over Oklahoma. 

Lakeland's QB simply isn't impressive to watch. No debating that. And QB is obviously a very important position. But, in HS football in particular, I think lay people tend to put a little too much emphasis on the optics of the QB. Lakeland's QB, at this point in the season anyway, may be playing better than the guy they had last year. Even though that guy was 6'4" 250 and a D1 recruit...

Really appreciate your post.  Tommie Frazier was not the greatest passer, but boy he knew how to run that offense.  Go back to the late 1970's...Johnny Little at Texas and Thomas Lott at Oklahoma.  As you say above about the Lakeland qb, they were not the most exciting qb's to watch.  But they were incredible generals on the field and ran their offenses to perfection.  They were just what their teams needed. 

All things being fairly equal, the team with the better QB play wins. In the NFL, all things are almost always fairly equal. Not so in college and HS. So I just think a lot of folks who've spent most of their time as casual fans watching and listening to NFL broadcasts are prone to put too much stock into what the QB looks like.

I remember watching Lakeland play at Lake Wales in the '95 Kickoff Classic. Lakeland had a pro-style QB, 6'5" strong arm. Lake Wales had a small guy who could barely throw a ball. My Dad says to me, "there's no way Lake Wales has a chance here". Fast forward to late in the 3rd quarter, Jeff Chaney was running wild on O and snuffing everything out on defense. Lake Wales is up 26-7 before Lakeland gets a late score to lose by 12. Lake Wales was the faster, hungrier team. Lakeland proceeded to start 0-2 (or maybe 1-2, I'm old and my memory is fading).

As for this Lakeland team, only in the past few weeks has McWilliams done anything to help the team win. To be fair, he had A LOT to do with the Plant win. But, it is entirely possible that he will prove to be too weak a link for Lakeland to win Friday.