Lakeland vs STA Title game part VI

Nulli Secundus

6 minutes ago, skyway said:

All things being fairly equal, the team with the better QB play wins. In the NFL, all things are almost always fairly equal. Not so in college and HS. So I just think a lot of folks who've spent most of their time as casual fans watching and listening to NFL broadcasts are prone to put too much stock into what the QB looks like.

I remember watching Lakeland play at Lake Wales in the '95 Kickoff Classic. Lakeland had a pro-style QB, 6'5" strong arm. Lake Wales had a small guy who could barely throw a ball. My Dad says to me, "there's no way Lake Wales has a chance here". Fast forward to late in the 3rd quarter, Jeff Chaney was running wild on O and snuffing everything out on defense. Lake Wales is up 26-7 before Lakeland gets a late score to lose by 12. Lake Wales was the faster, hungrier team. Lakeland proceeded to start 0-2 (or maybe 1-2, I'm old and my memory is fading).

As for this Lakeland team, only in the past few weeks has McWilliams done anything to help the team win. To be fair, he had A LOT to do with the Plant win. But, it is entirely possible that he will prove to be too weak a link for Lakeland to win Friday.

There were knocks on STA's qb at the beginning of the season.  The kid is committed to Harvard, so you know he is smart.  From what I can tell, he doesn''t make a lot of mistakes.  He has great tools on offense and has been good enough to connect with them. 

Not that it would hurt them to have a Power 5 quality qb, but he is probably just fine for STA this year.  Sometimes just having a kid with a head on his shoulders who makes good decisions is the best bet over a stud who makes a bad decision for every 2 great plays he makes, and Lord knows there have been plenty of those in FL. 

11 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

There were knocks on STA's qb at the beginning of the season.  The kid is committed to Harvard, so you know he is smart.  From what I can tell, he doesn''t make a lot of mistakes.  He has great tools on offense and has been good enough to connect with them. 

Not that it would hurt them to have a Power 5 quality qb, but he is probably just fine for STA this year.  Sometimes just having a kid with a head on his shoulders who makes good decisions is the best bet over a stud who makes a bad decision for every 2 great plays he makes, and Lord knows there have been plenty of those in FL. 

He looks pretty good this year. Certainly could be on par with Ryan Becker in 2008. And he may even be as fast as Lakeland's QB. If he's light's out accurate and hits every pass Friday, STA marches to another title.

Depends really on the make-up of the team, whether everything revolves around the QB or not? Tommie Frazier was mentioned earlier, thinks its worth mentioning at the HS level Tommie never even lead his HS team to a state title appearance. In fact his senior season saw his team exit the playoffs in the 1st round. Now you might question the talent on those teams that he played with at the HS level?well.........there was plenty of talent......several of his team mates went on to play collegiately , one in fact went on to start and play on 2 super bowl teams. The year after Tommie left for Nebraska, that same 1st round loser HS team went on to win the state title ......so yes there was plenty of talent around him at the HS level. Its just not always about the QB.......... 

Im not sure the Lakeland QB brings to the Lakeland offense that extra element to deliver a state title?I do however see within the STA offense, a QB that brings all the pieces together to make the picture whole. The element for Lakeland that will determine whether Lakeland wins a state title is Bowman and the big fellas at the point of attack on offense. I feel Lakeland will have to do something like Venice did last year on offense, that being go big and dominate between the tackles. On defense Lakeland doesn't have to stop STA but slow STA down significantly to create a game situation where Lakeland's in position to win late............This is a poorly coached STA team that lacks championship discipline.......I believe when put in a high stressed situation where the defense has been beaten physically in the trenches its defense will crumble at crunch time near the end of the game.........

13 minutes ago, footballfan56 said:

I'm assuming you heard about him getting in trouble with the law yesterday? I don't see how he could play with that coming about. I'm also assuming Lakeland is trying to keep it quiet. Had a good friend of mine text me about it yesterday. 

And that rumor hasn't been proven by any media outlet 

Considering the timetable I'm wondering if that rumor was started by their opponent in a attempt to get Lakeland out of way,  after all STA was the team who went and snitched on Lakeland when they weren't good enough to beat them 3 straight years 

8 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

And that rumor hasn't been proven by any media outlet 

Considering the timetable I'm wondering if that rumor was started by their opponent in a attempt to get Lakeland out of way,  after all STA was the team who went and snitched on Lakeland when they weren't good enough to beat them 3 straight years 

Well the rumor came from Lakeland HS. I've got some people in Lakeland and they confirmed it. Apparently something about breaking into cars at school. 

5 minutes ago, footballfan56 said:

Well the rumor came from Lakeland HS. I've got some people in Lakeland and they confirmed it. Apparently something about breaking into cars at school. 

Apparently, a lot of you all on here haven't read the forum rules or need a refresher.

RULE NUMBER 2!!!!! READ IT, READ IT, READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RULE NUMBER 2 READS!!!!!!!!!!

2. If you know of a rumor and unsure about to post such a topic, contact us before doing so via email (joshua.wilson@floridahsfootball.com) or Twitter (@FlaHSFootball). Do not post or add fuel to fire of a rumor that has not been confirmed. Some rumors can be harmful to the impacted party/parties; we ask that you please keep this in mind. If you feel a rumor you have heard is accurate, please contact us and there could be a possibility we can verify the rumor through various contacts. 

Did anyone contact me on this rumor? NO! 

51 minutes ago, footballfan56 said:

I'm assuming you heard about him getting in trouble with the law yesterday? I don't see how he could play with that coming about. I'm also assuming Lakeland is trying to keep it quiet. Had a good friend of mine text me about it yesterday. 

Let me clear this up one more time. THIS IS NOT TRUE

DO NOT drag this kids name through the mud because some idiot(s) decided to start broadcasting incorrect information.

Whether true or not, the Lakeland program under Coach Castle has seen its fair share of issues that have required the FHSAA to intervene over the years...................Rainey's mouth (see the post I had yesterday regarding Rainey's famous "Its good to be me" in fact shed light on a whole lot of what potentially goes on beyond the walls and view of the average passer by'er within the Lakeland football  program.............as far as the reported rumor from yesterday, was probably best to have kept it off the board.....which the rules clearly state is in fact is how these type situations should be handled.........for myself knowing or having a reliable contact in the media would have probably served better purpose in as far as having it investigated.............as to whether the rumor was fact or fiction?????? and if it turned out true would have presented issues for those that would have potentially attempted to have it buried.

1 hour ago, FL_HS_football said:

Whether true or not, the Lakeland program under Coach Castle has seen its fair share of issues that have required the FHSAA to intervene over the years...............

That can happen when you have been at one place for 43 years......and have a spotlight on your program year in and year out. You are dealing with 14-15-16-17 year old kids. How many other programs have similar issues......but the light on them is not quite as bright....

If colleges can’t eliminate issues....with 18-19-20-21 year olds living ON CAMPUS...and countless full-time coaches keeping track of things, I don’t know how a public high school coach Is supposed to have complete control over everything with kids that leave the campus when school/practice is over.....and still dealing with their day job (teaching). 

Try to calculate the number of kids that have come through Lakeland since Castle became head coach (1976). I would say he has a pretty good success rate with these kids. 

I posted this on a national forum. Flame away!

Lakeland and St. Thomas Aquinas meet for the 8th time in the playoffs, and sixth time in a state title game. They have played each other for a state title more than any other two teams in state history. Lakeland is 5-2 all-time (games played between 1996 and 2008 prior to this year) and 4-1 in state title match ups. Both teams have blown the other out; both have won on the other's home field. The 2006 game is considered by many to be the most exciting finish to a title game in Florida history.

When Lakeland has the ball:

The strengths of Lakeland's offense are their blocking at the point of attack (both OL and TEs) and their running back. OL D. Hammond is a 4*, Under Armour All-American as is TE Keon Zipperer. Zipperer and 6'5" 250 lb. Keavis Dyer form what is likely the most punishing pair of blockers at the TE position of any team in the country. It is my opinion that, when all is said and done, RB Demarckus Bowman will go down as the best RB Lakeland has ever produced. He may well be the best RB STA has ever faced. Of course, he has a lot to do in order to prove that to be true. 

Lakeland's weakness is it's passing game. The QB McWilliams has "nifty" feet, but has generally been the weak point all year. He was limited the first half of the season with a hamstring injury and has come on late to keep defenses from keying on Bowman.

For this unit to be successful, they must be patient and McWilliams has to make some key throws. They must force the defense to either respect Zipperer and the passing game, or hurt them if they don't. I believe they are capable of some limited success through the air, but not more than 3-4 key, difficult completions (along with some quicker, simpler throws). They can't commit stupid personal foul penalties as they have been prone to do in earlier games.

STA's defense is playing with all Power 5 players. So, they are quite obviously good and without any glaring weaknesses. 

When STA has the ball:

Lakeland is strongest on the DL, with a solid LB core behind them. The best DL at present may be A.J. Thomas, who has 17 sacks on the season. He's the size/speed of a physical safety playing DE. As such, he has zero stars. The other three DL are either 3* or 4* Lloyd Summerall. They are a bit light at DT. But, along with a physical group of linebackers (Jaharie Martin started for Lake Gibson in the 2016 state title game vs. Carol City), they've not had anyone run up the gut on them with any consistency. 

Lakeland's secondary features 3* Fenley Graham, who has several power 5 offers. As a whole, most recognize this unit as the weakest part of the defense. There have only been a handful of bad breakdowns all year, but the 3rd quarter showing against Plant was alarming. I don't think this is a bad unit by any means. But they must avoid getting beat deep and/or making slants and curls ridiculously easy.

STA struggled at times offensively last year. But, save for a slow start against Dematha, they've appeared to be unstoppable on this side of the ball as well.

Special Teams: 

Both teams have been lethal in generating TDs on returns and blocks. Lakeland has blocked 8 punts on the year, several safeties and has numerous huge returns. Ditto STA.

Keys to the game:

Lakeland is the clear underdog given they have a max of 8 guys with Power 5 offers and STA has over 20. For Lakeland to win, they'll have to do what they've done many times in the past: Have guys with zero stars play and look like better players than who they're faced up against. The OL needs to keep STA's DL out of the backfield to give Bowman a chance to get to the 2nd level unscathed. If he can get to that level unscathed with any consistency, he'll have another huge night and Lakeland has a really good shot to win. QB McWilliams will have to avoid mistakes, make a few plays with his legs and at least hit the passes that are simpler and ostensibly able to be completed.  The DL needs to be in the backfield early and often. And the entire defense needs to play with patience and not overreact if STA gets several first downs. And I think Lakeland needs to outscore STA in the special teams and turnover areas. I think both teams are capable of creating big plays against the other in special teams. STA can't end up on top in that area if Lakeland is to win.

Prediction:

I don't f*cking know. I've conceded that STA is the favorite. But, what the hell. Lakeland has won every single game by at least 17 points. And I'm not a p*ssy.

Lakeland 34, STA 17.

11 hours ago, 181pl said:

I think STA only needs to set the edge defensively. If they do this consistently they win. It is easier said than done against Lakeland, but St Thomas clearly has the athletes to do this.

Pulling for L but I think it will be something like 35-20 STA.

Can't argue with you here. Only hoping for the best!

10 minutes ago, Floridatech said:

I'm hearing that STA left like 13 points on the field

Well they were 3rd and goal at the 1 but got a penalty, then a sack and then missed a FG, they later missed another FG. Lakeland had a long Passing TD called back by penalty. So really only left 10 points at most.