Class 8A title game Mandarin vs Columbus

joeycash2004

Mandarin has a chance to become only the second team in FHSAA history to win a state title in the largest class with a record that includes four losses.  Mandarin(10-4) faces Columbus(14-0). 

The first team to do it was Apopka in 2014.  Apopka entered that title game 11-4 and faced a 14-1 opponent, very similar to this year.  And who was Apopka's opponent in that 2014 title game?  Columbus  

36 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Mandarin has a chance to become only the second team in FHSAA history to win a state title in the largest class with a record that includes four losses.  Mandarin(10-4) faces Columbus(14-0). 

The first team to do it was Apopka in 2014.  Apopka entered that title game 10-4 and faced a 14-0 opponent, just like Mandarin is doing this year.  And who was Apopka's opponent in that 2014 title game?  Columbus  

I think Columbus may have been 13-1. But in all other respects the matchup is the same. 

On 12/5/2018 at 9:20 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

I think Columbus may have been 13-1. But in all other respects the matchup is the same. 

Yes, effectively the same as this year. in 2014 they lost to a nationally ranked Central team, this year they "lost" (WFF) to a nationally ranked Carol City team. Both seasons they, played their best ball towards the latter half of their respective schedules. Likewise, Apopka and Mandarin both hit stride in the playoffs.

This should be a great matchup. Haven;t seen much of Mandarin except a few highlights, but our DB's will have their hands full with the Mandarin QB, that's for sure. It's the pressure from our front four that might make the difference there. I don't see mandarin shutting down the Columbus O - they are too balanced, too disciplined.

I see a shootout. Maybe a 60pt over/under...

The only x-factor I see right now is that the Columbus team is driven by the passing of one of their players. Dedicating the season to him has put  a real spark into their play and morale is at an all time high in the squad. Add that to the fact that it was Coach Merrit's birthday yesterday, the 60th year of the school, and alumni are crawling out of the wood work to support this team, given their disappointing history in title games, there is an air of belief that might be enough to make the  difference.

in the end, hope everyone is healthy and we have a top-notch game on both sides of the ball.

May the better team win!

36 minutes ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

Yes, effectively the same as this year. in 2014 they lost to a nationally ranked Central team, this year they "lost" (WFF) to a nationally ranked Carol City team. Both seasons they, played their best ball towards the latter half of their respective schedules. Likewise, Apopka and Mandarin both hit stride in the playoffs.

This should be a great matchup. Haven;t seen much of Mandarin except a few highlights, but our DB's will have their hands full with the Mandarin QB, that's for sure. It's the pressure from our front four that might make the difference there. I don't see mandarin shutting down the Columbus O - they are too balanced, too disciplined.

The only x-factor I see right now is that the Columbus team is driven by the passing of one of their players. Dedicating the season to him has put  a real spark into their play and morale is at an all time high in the squad. Add that to the fact that it was Coach Merrit's birthday yesterday, the 60th year of the school, and alumni are crawling out of the wood work to support this team, given their disappointing history in title games, there is an air of belief that might be enough to make the  difference.

in the end, hope everyone is healthy and we have a top-notch game on both sides of the ball.

May the better team win!

That is the key.  Constant pressure on the QB.  It needs to be consistent or he is certain to find open guys in space because their offense feasts off finding mismatches and soft spots in zones.  That has been every Mandarin opponents' downfall the entire playoffs, even Wekiva's, who has an exceptionally gifted defensive front seven.  It has been partially due to Mandarin's O-Line playing very well and partially due to CB quickly making a decision and getting rid of the ball or rolling him out of the pocket to buy more time.  Wekiva sacked him twice, but got very little pressure otherwise, which allowed Mandarin to complete chunk plays against them that they (Wekiva's D) otherwise hadn't given up all year.  Don't recall any of the other three opposing defenses sacking or even hitting him much at all.  Some of that is due to Mandarin just pounding the ball in second halves because the outcomes were already certain.  Should be fun to watch.  Most importantly though, someone is going to win their first title tonight and that is always a good thing.

1 hour ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

May the better team win!

Yes I agree.  I dont see Columbus O getting shut down.  Mandarin just needs to get enough stops.  Have to force the Columbus qb to throw down field.  Doesn't seem like his forte.  Looks like they would prefer to run, screen, option, and slant you to death.

I had only read about Mandarin prior to the last 2 week's games against Wekevia and Riverview. I think the parallels between this match-up and the 2014 match-up with Apopka for Columbus are real. I had no idea the HBC was the same HBC at Yulee when Derrick Henry was there, because the offense at Mandarin is so much more dynamic than what I remember with the Derrick Henry led Yulee HS. The Mandarin QB is a very well prepared QB, his ability to make reads prior to the snap and make all the throws is exceptional. The WR's for Mandarin all guys that can make things happen after the catch. Don't over-look the Mandarin rushing attack either, it does everything it needs to........... to make teams not be able to focus exclusively on the Mandarin passing attack The Mandarin defense is up to the task of playing and slowing down the Columbus offense. This match-up and the Lakeland vs STA were the only 2 match-ups this weekend that captured my interest.......I believe its going to be a good game!

3 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Columbus is a young team and should be back next year. I would have them as the early favorite. 

Unfortunately, so is Mandarin, no?

Yes, Columbus will be solid in the skill positions: return their QB, #1 running back, #2 receiver/DB, and quite a few on defense - including our top ATH Courtney Holmes who was sidelined all season with an ACL from the spring. Only suspect area right now might be the O-line which is senior heavy.

Should be a favorite for 8A south at least.

1 minute ago, ExplorerHomer2 said:

Unfortunately, so is Mandarin, no?

Yes and no. Numbers wise yes. But many of the impact players graduate. However, Carson Beck should be back for his senior year. So, they will be good again. At least on offense. 

Of course, there is always the unknown such as new, underclass talent and more senior potential transfers, as now they have a title the school's program becomes a lot more attractive. 

Having seen them three times this season, I will say I was very impressed with the quality of the coaching staff as well. You can have all the talent in the world but you have to make it work.