Most dominant teams by margin of victory

skyway

This particular thread aims to compile a list of the most dominant teams in state history based on margin of victory (a loss isn't thrown out, it's a negative margin). This thread is not meant to be a discussion of strength of schedule; that can and has been done elsewhere. Nor is this post meant to lead to any sort of prediction of what will happen in future games. 

The 2018 Lakeland team is 14-0, having won every single game by a minimum of 17 points. They've outscored their opponents 660-115 on the season. Average score of all games has been 47-8.

What are some other teams historically who can match or surpass this level of dominance?

Just now, skyway said:

This particular thread aims to compile a list of the most dominant teams in state history based on margin of victory (a loss isn't thrown out, it's a negative margin). This thread is not meant to be a discussion of strength of schedule; that can and has been done elsewhere. Nor is this post meant to lead to any sort of prediction of what will happen in future games. 

The 2018 Lakeland team is 14-0, having won every single game by a minimum of 17 points. They've outscored their opponents 660-115 on the season. Average score of all games has been 47-8.

What are some other teams historically who can match or surpass this level of dominance?

Check the last thread,  i think the team i showed scores for there would qualify 

1997 Columbia 

38-6  Terry Parker 

35-0   St Augustine 

21-7  Valdosta (GA) 

27-7  Mandarin 

40-12  Sandalwood 

43-7  Gainesville 

36-3  Orange Park 

38-7  Santa Fe 

16-0  Lincoln 

20-7  Suwannee 

21-7  Tate *playoffs*

50-20  Oveido  *Playoffs*

24-0 Bradenton Southeast  *playoffs*

41-7  Melbourne Palm Bay  *playoffs*

17-20 Miami Carol City  *State Championship*

Average margin of victory was 23.8 points (that included the negative margin of victory for state championship loss) 

Columbia outscored opponents 467-110 during the year

Only gave up more than 10 points 3 times all year and held opponents to 7 or less 12 times including 3 shutouts 

Impressive season for Columbia. Not quite at 2018 Lakeland level. I know that no other Lakeland team can match the 2018 team on this metric. The 2008 STA team had an 11-point win at Cincy Elder. Every other game was won by at least 21 points, including the 49-point win over Lakeland in the title game.

Who else?

Dr. Phillips 2010

-

Edgewater 48-7

Osceola 49-7

Olympia 49-0

Cypress Creek 52-0

Boone 45-0

Evans 62-6

Oak Ridge 56-28

Gateway 59-0

Freedom 56-13

West Orange 49-6

R1: Olympia 52-3

R2: Oak Ridge 45-0

R3: Seminole Ridge 38-28

R4: Sanford Seminole 37-13

Title: Miami Central 27-42

FYI: 14-1 on the field, but the FHSAA decided to enforce a rule on DP that they enforced on no other school. DP had an illegal immigrant living within their zone that was on the team that they found out about during the spring weightlifting season. Was a non-impact player. At that time only DP/Winter Park did that paperwork. 14-1 all day and I’ll always use that record.

6 minutes ago, skyway said:

Impressive season for Columbia. Not quite at 2018 Lakeland level. I know that no other Lakeland team can match the 2018 team on this metric. The 2008 STA team had an 11-point win at Cincy Elder. Every other game was won by at least 21 points, including the 49-point win over Lakeland in the title game.

Who else?

Added margin of victory to it as well

I also have another team but since it was so long ago and i don't want to make this thread about my team I'll make a separate thread for it

...some great teams of the past.  That 30 point margin of victory by Coral Gables 50 years ago compared to today...suffice it to say it would be the equivalent of some astronomical figure in today's game.  They were facing some powerhouse teams of the day on their schedule.     

1967 2A state champion Coral Gables (declared national champions that year) outscored opponents by average of 32-2.

1972 4A state champion Merritt Island averaged 40 points per game, an incredible average for that period of time.

1988 5A state champion Pine Forest (declared national champion by USA today) outscored opponents by average of 31 points per game.

2005 5A state champion Lakeland outscored opponents by average of 42-6.

1 hour ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Dr. Phillips 2010

-

Edgewater 48-7

Osceola 49-7

Olympia 49-0

Cypress Creek 52-0

Boone 45-0

Evans 62-6

Oak Ridge 56-28

Gateway 59-0

Freedom 56-13

West Orange 49-6

R1: Olympia 52-3

R2: Oak Ridge 45-0

R3: Seminole Ridge 38-28

R4: Sanford Seminole 37-13

Title: Miami Central 27-42

FYI: 14-1 on the field, but the FHSAA decided to enforce a rule on DP that they enforced on no other school. DP had an illegal immigrant living within their zone that was on the team that they found out about during the spring weightlifting season. Was a non-impact player. At that time only DP/Winter Park did that paperwork. 14-1 all day and I’ll always use that record.

That was a great run for DP.! Almost matched Lakeland on the 17-point margin, save for the Seminole Ridge game. I remember being so frustrated watching that state title game vs. Central. DP just couldn't stop the gun runs for Central.

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

...some great teams of the past.  That 30 point margin of victory by Coral Gables 50 years ago compared to today...suffice it to say it would be the equivalent of some astronomical figure in today's game.  They were facing some powerhouse teams of the day on their schedule.     

1967 2A state champion Coral Gables (declared national champions that year) outscored opponents by average of 32-2.

1972 4A state champion Merritt Island averaged 40 points per game, an incredible average for that period of time.

1988 5A state champion Pine Forest (declared national champion by USA today) outscored opponents by average of 31 points per game.

2005 5A state champion Lakeland outscored opponents by average of 42-6.

I know it's hard to find all of the scores for all of the teams over the years. But, might it be that Lakeland is the first team to win all of the first 14 games by 17 or more? Bolles '96 may be worth checking on.

12 minutes ago, skyway said:

I know it's hard to find all of the scores for all of the teams over the years. But, might it be that Lakeland is the first team to win all of the first 14 games by 17 or more? Bolles '96 may be worth checking on.

Among small schools look at 2015 Trenton

14 out of 15 games were running clocks, only team they didn't running clock was Madison County in state semifinals 

20 minutes ago, skyway said:

A 17-point margin is significant rather than arbitrary because it means that no combination of two-scores, including two TDs and two, two-point conversions, would even the score. It's a three-score differential no matter what the other team were to do.

Actually a td and 2pt conversion followed by a safety and another td and conversion would :)

That would technically only be 2 offensive drives but i get what you saying 

But back to the main argument, the moment you start talking about teams with a average margin of victory in 17-20 range you are getting knee deep in elite teams

Maybe Lakeland could defeat any of teams listed but i still feel saying this is best team that can ever be assembled north of broward county is definitely pushing it,  Lakeland may be special but any team who can be discussed in this thread is special as well 

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Bolles' 2004 team outscored opponents by average of 45-9...scored 42 or more points in 4 of 5 playoff games

This is a rare accomplishment..STA, Lakeland, Manatee, Northwestern, Carol City, Armwood..none have done it.

...some who have

AHP 2017

Central 2013

Lakeland would have to hit 42 vs. STA to join the group you mentioned. 

Bolles 2004 had 13-point wins over Raines and Clay. The search continues! Is there any other team in Florida history to win their first 14 games by 17+ points?