• Announcements

• Joshua Wilson

Rules of the Forums   09/02/2017

Please be sure to read the rules of the forums. This is only to help all of us have a good time and we want to keep this board as fun as possible. 
    • SportsNut25

Talking Other Sports   11/08/2017

For those interested in talking about other sports, you can talk about them here. 
Sign in to follow this  
skyway

Most dominant teams by margin of victory

29 minutes ago, skyway said:

All-time. Looking for any other teams to do this. As we can see, it's not exactly easy to find such teams. 

Check the 1967 Columbia thread

They may not fit the 17 point margin and they only played 13 games but margin of victory was definitely high up there

2015 Trenton Tigers 

Duval Charter 50-16*

Bell 50-0*

Port St Joe 48-13

Dixie Co 54-10

Chiefland  58-12*

Bronson 49-0*

Newberry 54-6*

Williston 42-14

Branford 56-0*

Episcopal 49-7*

Ft Meade 51-20

Dixie Co 42-7

Madison Co 28-17

Port St Joe 56-14

Running clock in 13 of 14 games including state runner up Port St Joe 2 times, #2 Ft Meade and Dixie Co 2 times. 

* denotes running clock in 1st half

2 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

2015 Trenton Tigers 

Duval Charter 50-16*

Bell 50-0*

Port St Joe 48-13

Dixie Co 54-10

Chiefland  58-12*

Bronson 49-0*

Newberry 54-6*

Williston 42-14

Branford 56-0*

Episcopal 49-7*

Ft Meade 51-20

Dixie Co 42-7

Madison Co 28-17

Port St Joe 56-14

Running clock in 13 of 14 games including state runner up Port St Joe 2 times, #2 Ft Meade and Dixie Co 2 times. 

What's happened to Trenton? They really collapsed in a hurry

37 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

2015 Trenton Tigers 

Duval Charter 50-16*

Bell 50-0*

Port St Joe 48-13

Dixie Co 54-10

Chiefland  58-12*

Bronson 49-0*

Newberry 54-6*

Williston 42-14

Branford 56-0*

Episcopal 49-7*

Ft Meade 51-20

Dixie Co 42-7

Madison Co 28-17

Port St Joe 56-14

Outstanding Trenton team. They almost got there! Is there anyone else who actually won the first 14 by 17+?

Worth mentioning. BTW ended the season as State Champs. Whats impressive is the schedule they played that year and they beat  3 states champs in Miami Central, Norcross, and Bishop Gorman. Lets see if Lakeland can even beat STA.

Booker T. Washington 2013

Norcross (Norcross, GA)(W) 55 - 0  ranked 53rd nationally

Central (Miami, FL)(W) 28 - 17   ranked 8th nationally

Carol City (Miami, FL)(W) 45 - 0

Jackson (Miami, FL)(W) 35 - 6

Monsignor Pace (Miami, FL)(W) 49 - 7

Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas, NV)(W) 28 - 12   ranked 66th nationally

Northwestern (Miami, FL)(W) 21 - 9

Gulliver Prep (Miami, FL)(W) 41 - 7

Norland (Miami, FL)(W) 41 - 14

Edison (Miami, FL)(W) 62 - 0

Glades Central (Belle Glade, FL)(W) 40 - 18

University (Fort Lauderdale, FL)(W) 45 - 17

Cocoa (Cocoa, FL)(W) 49 - 10

Bolles (Jacksonville, FL)(W) 40 - 21

Total points scored 579, Average points per game 41.3 
Total points allowed 138, Average allowed 9.8

14 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Worth mentioning. BTW ended the season as State Champs. Whats impressive is the schedule they played that year and they beat  3 states champs in Miami Central, Norcross, and Bishop Gorman. Lets see if Lakeland can do the same and beat one state champ.

There's a reason that team finished number 1 nationally 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

There's a reason that team finished number 1 nationally 

Yes, and they were the real deal with Harris as QB and the core of receivers they had. I watched BTW blow em out one by one. MC, BG, and MNW were very exciting games.

22 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Worth mentioning. BTW ended the season as State Champs. Whats impressive is the schedule they played that year and they beat  3 states champs in Miami Central, Norcross, and Bishop Gorman. Lets see if Lakeland can even beat STA.

Great team, no doubt.

We've yet to come up with a single other team that won every game by 17+ heading into the state final. Yes, you can talk about perceived strength of schedule. That certainly does matter. But, if no other team in the history of the state has ever won the first 14 by 17+, than it is also notable that Lakeland has. If you were writing an article about the upcoming game or doing a broadcast, that would be a stat worth mentioning.

What should start to become clear is that, should STA beat-or blow out-Lakeland, it will be a significant win. It won't be the same old thing like it was with Viera, Osceola etc.

11 hours ago, skyway said:

This particular thread aims to compile a list of the most dominant teams in state history based on margin of victory (a loss isn't thrown out, it's a negative margin). This thread is not meant to be a discussion of strength of schedule; that can and has been done elsewhere. Nor is this post meant to lead to any sort of prediction of what will happen in future games. 

The 2018 Lakeland team is 14-0, having won every single game by a minimum of 17 points. They've outscored their opponents 660-115 on the season. Average score of all games has been 47-8.

What are some other teams historically who can match or surpass this level of dominance?

Good run so far. Another note on Lakeland... they had a 54 game win streak from 2004 - 2007.

We are seeing a number of things happen this decade that point to a widening gap in performance of teams.  I see margins of victory between Lakeland and teams like Kathleen, Bartow and Winter Haven that are mindboggling.  No doubt this is a really good Lakeland team, but I think there is a subsequent decline in the programs of some of their traditional opponents.  That's not to take away from Lakeland's accomplishments.  It's just an observation.  

As we move forward, I see some difficulty comparing accomplishments of present teams to teams of the past.  The difficulty of some of today's playoff paths pales in comparison to some of those of the past.  The phenomenal offensive output of some of today's teams may be a reflection of their greatness, or may simply be a reflection of changes in the game itself and/or lessening parity in today's classifications.  The game has changed in so many ways. 

9 minutes ago, M&S said:

That 2015 Trenton team with 13 running clocks gets my vote over Lakeland.  That BTW team, all I can say is WOW!  They were scary good.

For the small school sector it may have been most dominant team ever in FL history 

(in terms of rural 1a)

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

For the small school sector it may have been most dominant team ever in FL history 

(in terms of rural 1a)

I agree.