48-6 Madison

181pl

3 minutes ago, 181pl said:

No disrespect meant to the Cowboys. They are always among Florida's best. As you said, it's ashame they decided to "HIDE" in ONE A.

Back in the day, just making the playoffs was a big deal and most teams only pulled that off once in a while.  Now we have some teams expecting to compete for a title every year and folks consider it an off year if they don't.  Expectations are completely unrealistic and driving a lot of the behavior we see on many fronts today.     

13 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Back in the day, just making the playoffs was a big deal and most teams only pulled that off once in a while.  Now we have some teams expecting to compete for a title every year and folks consider it an off year if they don't.  Expectations are completely unrealistic and driving a lot of the behavior we see on many fronts today.     

When I was in high school (I'm counting 9th but it wasn't included in Hillsborough Schools back then), Plant went:

9-1, 1983 season

9-1, 1984 season (*made playoffs; lost to Lakeland 19-9)

9-1, 1985 season

7-3, 1986 season

Only made the playoffs ONCE. Now days, they would have probably made it every year.

5 minutes ago, 181pl said:

When I was in high school (I'm counting 9th but it wasn't included in Hillsborough Schools back then), Plant went:

9-1, 1983 season

9-1, 1985 season

7-3, 1986 season

Only made the playoffs ONCE. Now days, they would have probably made it every year.

And they were no slouches. This is back in the days of the Dunkel Index. Plant was always rated in the top 5 or 10 in the state in most of those years. They were ranked #1 or #2 in the Dunkel Index in 1983 and missed the playoffs due to one OT loss on a controversial PI call in the end zone (pass was about 10 yds over anyone's head) after scoring a TD first and then stopping P Park from inside the 10 for 7 consecutive plays. On the ensuing possession, P Park kicked a FG and then Plant threw a pick on second and goal from the 1 with three backs over 200 lbs. Dumbest call ever. 

That's how hard it was to make the playoffs back then.

19 minutes ago, 181pl said:

9-1, 1983 season

9-1, 1985 season

7-3, 1986 season

Great example.  Whether it's better to have fewer or more teams in the playoffs...I can see both sides of the argument.  The unhealthy aspect of the latter is the mindset that I have seen grow with it...coaches bitchin about their team not making the playoffs, fans bitchin because their team didn't win a state title for the third time in 5 years, players feeling like failures because their team got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs for the third year in a row.

It's a bit like computers.  They were supposed to make our lives easier, but people are more stressed than ever.  Our game should be better than the past, and in some ways it is.  But I see more unrest and lack of gratitude today.  In a manner of speaking, we had a lot less back then, but people were a lot less miserable.   

13 hours ago, 181pl said:

9-1, 1983 season

9-1, 1985 season

7-3, 1986 season

Of course alot of these type examples depend on the circumstances, but in 1985 Manatee had to win the District championship via a 3-way Monday night Kansas City tie breaker at the Ram Bowl. Manatee won it and pretty much breezed to the state title.....(if memory serves me right I think Brandon HS had a helluva team that year in Hillsborough county, and played to the semi-finals) but my point with this was that both Sarasota or Riverview could have played for a state title that year all 3 teams were just that good....but back then only one team made it out of each district and Manatee was fortunate to win the tie breaker that Monday night in the Ram Bowl.