Lakeland vs St Thomas Aquinas 7a finals replay

DisabledAccount

22 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

Columbiahighfan, thank you very much for posting this! Are all of the state title games available on youtube? Thank you again.

I'm not sure,  i haven't checked i came across this by accident when searching for something else 

My guess is there could be one or 2 pop up over the next few days but you never know, for some reason only 3 or 4 end up getting put up and the rest go missing

41 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I'm not sure,  i haven't checked i came across this by accident when searching for something else 

My guess is there could be one or 2 pop up over the next few days but you never know, for some reason only 3 or 4 end up getting put up and the rest go missing

All right, thank you. I enjoyed that game very much although Jeff Carlson still hasn't gotten any better as a color man. The play-by -play announcer said that the games could be streamed for free for Spectrum customers, which I had no idea about. Lakeland really outplayed STA in that game, and I was glad to see them complete an undefeated season, and win the 7A title.

1 hour ago, Jambun82 said:

All right, thank you. I enjoyed that game very much although Jeff Carlson still hasn't gotten any better as a color man. The play-by -play announcer said that the games could be streamed for free for Spectrum customers, which I had no idea about. Lakeland really outplayed STA in that game, and I was glad to see them complete an undefeated season, and win the 7A title.

I actually like Carlson as a color guy. Above average for a HS announcer IMO.

9 hours ago, peezy28 said:

He is always hella hard on the refs (which is why I think Jambun does not like him) and the coaches if they make what he calls bad decisions (which is why many coaches don't like him)

Yes Peezy, that is mostly correct. Why the officials would have a holding foul when the runner goes out of bounds after losing 3 yards, is beyond me. But since Jeff Carlson is much smarter than everyone else, so maybe he can explain it someday. Also, questioning the play-calling and decisions of Bill Castle, who is one of the all-time legends of coaching in Florida High School Football was pretty interesting and quite hilarious. I feel for any play-by-play man who has to carry that dead weight for an entire game or season.

Just a side note since everyone seems to be focus'd Jeff Carlson, his son is the QB at Steinbrenner HS and I thought displayed some nice talent when I watched him this past year. Steinbrenner played some pretty good ball last season and played Jesuit, Sarasota-Riverview, Manatee tough during the regular season and beat East Lake HS in a post season Bowl game. Steinbrenner barring being raided by the usual suspects that lure kids to transfer thus robbing those schools of their developing talent could make some noise next season!

13 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Yes Peezy, that is mostly correct. Why the officials would have a holding foul when the runner goes out of bounds after losing 3 yards, is beyond me. But since Jeff Carlson is much smarter than everyone else, so maybe he can explain it someday. Also, questioning the play-calling and decisions of Bill Castle, who is one of the all-time legends of coaching in Florida High School Football was pretty interesting and quite hilarious. I feel for any play-by-play man who has to carry that dead weight for an entire game or season.

Yeah, I find him funny... and I think he tries to be controversial or be over  the top with his assessments.. like waaayyy over.  But as long as he has been doing games for brighthouse, spectrum, time warner which goes back a long way he has always been "that guy"

10 hours ago, peezy28 said:

Yeah, I find him funny... and I think he tries to be controversial or be over  the top with his assessments.. like waaayyy over.  But as long as he has been doing games for brighthouse, spectrum, time warner which goes back a long way he has always been "that guy"

Yes, and  "that guy"  means someone who should live by the saying "Better to keep quiet, and be thought an idiot, than speak and remove all doubt." I wonder if this man talks to the coaches about the game plans, thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of players, and ideas of why coaches call certain plays in certain situations. Also, he should consider talking with some officials to get an idea of why some fouls are called and some are not.

23 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Why the officials would have a holding foul when the runner goes out of bounds after losing 3 yards, is beyond me.

They should call it because a foul is a foul. 3 yard loss and next down or 10 yard loss and replay the down. That should be at the coaches discretion not the referees. No way should they hold on to a flag because they feel a 3 yard loss is enough.  

4 minutes ago, Just A Coach said:

They should call it because a foul is a foul. 3 yard loss and next down or 10 yard loss and replay the down. That should be at the coaches discretion not the referees. No way should they hold on to a flag because they feel a 3 yard loss is enough.  

Just a Coach, if that is how you feel, fine. I hope that you never approach an official during one of your games that you coach, and complain about to many fouls being thrown or how your team has eight fouls, and the other team has only two fouls. Officials don't want to hear that from any coach.

16 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

Just a Coach, if that is how you feel, fine. I hope that you never approach an official during one of your games that you coach, and complain about to many fouls being thrown or how your team has eight fouls, and the other team has only two fouls. Officials don't want to hear that from any coach.

Jambun, If that is how you feel, fine. I hope you never approach a coach during a game and tell him that your only going to throw offensive flags if it is a positive play. Coaches don't want to hear that from any ref.

To be honest yelling at refs is not on my to do list on Friday nights. Most coaches are there only for the kids. I believe the officials have that same mind set as well. But there are some coaches who go out there with the intentions of yelling at refs. But there are also refs that go out there feeling that every fan and coach has it out for him. I've seen it go both ways.  

2 hours ago, Just A Coach said:

Jambun, If that is how you feel, fine. I hope you never approach a coach during a game and tell him that your only going to throw offensive flags if it is a positive play. Coaches don't want to hear that from any ref.

Just a Coach, that reads good to me. Good officials would never approach a coach and tell that coach that the officials will only have fouls on positive plays. However, when a runner is being tackled or pushed out-of-bounds behind the line of scrimmage, and there is a tug-of-a-jersey holding foul 5-10 yards away from the point-of-attack, most coaches would understand that since that the hold had no effect on the result of the play, that that holding foul is not essential to the play and does not need to be called. That is what happened in this circumstance, and Jeff Carlson went on for at least 45 seconds about how the officials missed the foul, and need to see things better. In my view, a good color man would talk with some officials and get a feel for what is and is not a foul. That way, he can sound a little educated instead of spouting off like a know-nothing. Of course, the exception to that is player-safety fouls, which have to be called and enforced anywhere that they occur on the field, and in any circumstance.

2 hours ago, Just A Coach said:

To be honest yelling at refs is not on my to do list on Friday nights. Most coaches are there only for the kids. I believe the officials have that same mind set as well. But there are some coaches who go out there with the intentions of yelling at refs. But there are also refs that go out there feeling that every fan and coach has it out for him. I've seen it go both ways.  

Just a Coach, I agree with this statement 100%. Very well said.

12 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Yes, and  "that guy"  means someone who should live by the saying "Better to keep quiet, and be thought an idiot, than speak and remove all doubt." I wonder if this man talks to the coaches about the game plans, thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of players, and ideas of why coaches call certain plays in certain situations. Also, he should consider talking with some officials to get an idea of why some fouls are called and some are not.

I will say that when he is talking to coaches... he speaks to them the same way he talks ABOUT them on the broadcast as he did with Robert W while in the booth... So its not like he is afraid to say those things face to face or not... I think its a lot easier for Officials to reach out to him than the other way... I don't think most want to talk about that stuff in person or directly to the person who is blasting them.

9 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Just a Coach, that reads good to me. Good officials would never approach a coach and tell that coach that the officials will only have fouls on positive plays. However, when a runner is being tackled or pushed out-of-bounds behind the line of scrimmage, and there is a tug-of-a-jersey holding foul 5-10 yards away from the point-of-attack, most coaches would understand that since that the hold had no effect on the result of the play, that that holding foul is not essential to the play and does not need to be called. That is what happened in this circumstance, and Jeff Carlson went on for at least 45 seconds about how the officials missed the foul, and need to see things better. In my view, a good color man would talk with some officials and get a feel for what is and is not a foul. That way, he can sound a little educated instead of spouting off like a know-nothing. Of course, the exception to that is player-safety fouls, which have to be called and enforced anywhere that they occur on the field, and in any circumstance.

I won't lie... he does sound like a blowhard at times.  Because I have seen him go on and on about something then the replay proves he was flagrantly false but instead of admitting it he attempts to change the narrative. 

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:01 AM, peezy28 said:

I will say that when he is talking to coaches... he speaks to them the same way he talks ABOUT them on the broadcast as he did with Robert W while in the booth... So its not like he is afraid to say those things face to face or not... I think its a lot easier for Officials to reach out to him than the other way... I don't think most want to talk about that stuff in person or directly to the person who is blasting them.

Peezy,  most officials do not want to talk with non-officials about the many aspects of what officials are trying and not trying to accomplish. Most if not all officials do not care who wins or loses any game, and most officials know that the game is not about either them or the coaches. The game is about the players and the kids.

2 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Peezy,  most officials do not want to talk with non-officials about the many aspects of what officials are trying and not trying to accomplish. Most if not all officials do not care who wins or loses any game, and most officials know that the game is not about either them or the coaches. The game is about the players and the kids.

I agree most are there for the right reasons

If you took 100 officials maybe 1 or 2 in that 100 are there for wrong reasons but that is case for everything in society

There will always be a bad apple in the bunch and more times than not a bad apple will be seen and given more attention then all the good apples

For example you never see the media show how many good young kids we have today, but you will always see when kids do something stupid because it's considered more newsworthy

Or perhaps a better example is police officers, very rare will you see in news what a officer did to save someone's life but if they involved in a questionable decision in using a weapon then the media can't get enough of it and now some people think all cops are bad because of a few bad ones who exist

My entire point though is there is a lot of good ones but unfortunately the only ones who will ever get brought up are the small percentage of the bad ones

13 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Okay... Well to me that is apart of the problem... 1. You cannot be mad at people for questioning your motives if you do not want to even talk about it... Thats a HUUGGGEEE Oxymoron you have to admit (please don't take this as an attack on you or the officials this is just how most will perceive that message).  Its like you keeping money away from your wife because your saving it for your kids college and she sees you have 100k in an account she did not know about and asks what is it for and you tell her (I am not willing to talk about that with you)... It will not go over well LOL... This is not as extreme as that but similar.

I know plenty of officials in the sun-coast association (I believe that is what our local association is called) that I have known for years.  Gail B, Kenny, Big Game Bobby (as we call him), Derelle H, Chris H.  I can talk to them about stuff like this  and I get a better understanding of things by doing so.  Also they admit to not being perfect and getting every call correct.

Open communication is best in most situations in life in general IMO. 

11 hours ago, peezy28 said:

Okay... Well to me that is apart of the problem... 1. You cannot be mad at people for questioning your motives if you do not want to even talk about it... Thats a HUUGGGEEE Oxymoron you have to admit (please don't take this as an attack on you or the officials this is just how most will perceive that message).  Its like you keeping money away from your wife because your saving it for your kids college and she sees you have 100k in an account she did not know about and asks what is it for and you tell her (I am not willing to talk about that with you)... It will not go over well LOL... This is not as extreme as that but similar.

I know plenty of officials in the sun-coast association (I believe that is what our local association is called) that I have known for years.  Gail B, Kenny, Big Game Bobby (as we call him), Derelle H, Chris H.  I can talk to them about stuff like this  and I get a better understanding of things by doing so.  Also they admit to not being perfect and getting every call correct.

Open communication is best in most situations in life in general IMO. 

Peezy, I am sorry, I think that I misspoke. What I meant was that most officials would like to talk with others, and explain certain points-of-view when it came to how to call a game, and which fouls to have and which fouls not to have. If people would be willing to listen and understand what the official is trying to get across. Not every thing has to be so mechanical when it comes to officiating. There is a grey area in many aspects of officiating in my view.

22 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I agree most are there for the right reasons

If you took 100 officials maybe 1 or 2 in that 100 are there for wrong reasons but that is case for everything in society

There will always be a bad apple in the bunch and more times than not a bad apple will be seen and given more attention then all the good apples

For example you never see the media show how many good young kids we have today, but you will always see when kids do something stupid because it's considered more newsworthy

Or perhaps a better example is police officers, very rare will you see in news what a officer did to save someone's life but if they involved in a questionable decision in using a weapon then the media can't get enough of it and now some people think all cops are bad because of a few bad ones who exist

My entire point though is there is a lot of good ones but unfortunately the only ones who will ever get brought up are the small percentage of the bad ones

Yes. I believe that there are issues with many police officers, not all but many unfortunately, that are ignorant of many basic citizen rights, and seem to forgot that they are public servants. It goes beyond police officers using their weapons, and more to the point of the arrogance of many police officers. This erodes confidence and trust in police in general. There are many good professional police officers who get painted with this broad brush.