Opinion Circle: College Football Playoff expansion??

DisabledAccount

SEC favoritism lol.  You mean the conference that has won 9 out of the last 12.  I'm aware Bama has won more than half of them.  Why should Bama not get favoritism.  They've proven they are one of the best ever.  If it was SEC favoritism Georgia should have also got in this year.  

I'm fine with 4 teams getting in.  If you expand it the conversations on who should get in diminish.  I like the water cooler talk about why or why not UCF should get in.  No one hardly talks about who gets left out in basketball anymore because 68 get in.  Also if you expand it the regular season and conference championships get diminished.  

Eliminate 1 regular season game (solely to shrink how many potential games students play overall)
Conference Championships on Thanksgiving Weekend
Power 5 Champions, Best Group of 5 Champion, 2 Wildcards 
2 weeks later, games played on home fields (or in Bowl cities in big cities that aren't Tier 1 games).
Orlando, Detroit, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston, San Diego come to mind or if you really want to help, put 2 quarterfinal games in 1 city. Massive influx of tourists from 4 teams.
2 weeks later, games played in Big Bowl Games (Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, Rose, Jerry World, Peach)
1 week later, game played in one site.

Trying to keep bowls and have a playoff is becoming to cumbersome.  It would help if the Big12 and Pac12 would both expand to 14 teams like the SEC, ACC and Big10.  Take the 5 conference champs plus 7 wildcards and work them into the 6 bowls, Orange, Peach, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, Rose.  Play those games before Christmas, then advance the 6 winners so we are done by Jan. 10.  All other bowl games played before Christmas as well.

17 hours ago, badbird said:

SEC favoritism lol.  You mean the conference that has won 9 out of the last 12.  I'm aware Bama has won more than half of them.  Why should Bama not get favoritism.  They've proven they are one of the best ever.  If it was SEC favoritism Georgia should have also got in this year.  

I'm fine with 4 teams getting in.  If you expand it the conversations on who should get in diminish.  I like the water cooler talk about why or why not UCF should get in.  No one hardly talks about who gets left out in basketball anymore because 68 get in.  Also if you expand it the regular season and conference championships get diminished.  

Disagree... Expand it to 8.  All 5 power conferences champs get in.  3 at large bids which will get you a likely SEC runner up and a UCF as well as another top ranked Mid Major or power 5 team.  The conference champ in this scenario would be amplified... If its 1 loss Bama vs 1 loss GA you have to win to get in.  Or you could end up missing that 8 if there are 3 teams that could be more worthy.

I have always wanted 8.

1 minute ago, peezy28 said:

Disagree... Expand it to 8.  All 5 power conferences champs get in.  3 at large bids which will get you a likely SEC runner up and a UCF as well as another top ranked Mid Major or power 5 team.  The conference champ in this scenario would be amplified... If its 1 loss Bama vs 1 loss GA you have to win to get in.  Or you could end up missing that 8 if there are 3 teams that could be more worthy.

I have always wanted 8.

Only way to guarantee someone like UCF a spot is lock 1 spot to a group of 5 champ (I've heard people suggest idea of highest group of 5 champ getting a bid then 2 wild cards and the power 5 champs) 

I can see potential there and if we have to sacrifice 1 non conference game each year to get it I'll take it without hesitation 

On 12/12/2018 at 5:29 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Do you feel it should expand?  Why or why not 

It should expand to 16 teams and it should’ve expanded a long time ago.  The ONLY equitable process for a true playoff system should remove as much opinion away from the game as possible. Every conference champion should have a seat at the table without question. Reduce the number of regular season games to accommodate an extended playoff schedule.  Otherwise, why play

On 12/12/2018 at 6:02 PM, badbird said:

The regular season should only be a catalyst for conference play enroute the conference championship and possibly rivalry games, nothing more.  We shouldn’t have conference champs play in the dookie bowl just for the sake of being in a bowl game.  

Conference championships are already diminished if you’re not in the right conference.

40 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Sure, but they won't.

Little guys have been given a chance in basketball forever.  We’ve had some nice runs but how many have won a title?  little guys wouldn’t fare as well in football.  Occasionally one would make a run and make noise but they would have no chance to win it all in football.  

1 minute ago, badbird said:

Little guys have been given a chance in basketball forever.  We’ve had some nice runs but how many have won a title?  little guys wouldn’t fare as well in football.  Occasionally one would make a run and make noise but they would have no chance to win it all in football.  

I respect your opinion, but in this instance disagree. By allowing the little guys to compete on the ultimate stage against the big guys, it will serve to strengthen the little guys' recruiting leverage vis a viz the big guys. 

7 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I respect your opinion, but in this instance disagree. By allowing the little guys to compete on the ultimate stage against the big guys, it will serve to strengthen the little guys' recruiting leverage vis a viz the big guys. 

We shall see.  It will happen one day soon a 8 team playoff. Football will see less success than basketball

Just now, badbird said:

We shall see.  It will happen one day soon a 8 team playoff. Football will see less success than basketball

Sadly, football's biggest problems are health related, not the nature of the playoff system or whether one even exists. The concussion repercussions are already affecting participation, particularly among the middle class and above. What makes this problem really serious is that there is no easy, viable solution. As a fan of the game, it has me concerned.  

I have always been against expanding the playoff. I love how important each regular season game is. It makes every week like a playoff and that is part of what is great about college football. However, with how we have seen the same teams year in and year out for the most part I do believe something needs to change. 8 or even 16 would is probably what is best for college football. With 8 or 16, there would be early upsets and we would finally see some new matchups in semi finals and finals. If there was autobids, which Im sure is how they would do it, I would like to see some changes with the conference title games. Many times one side of the division is so much weaker, and a 7-5 team gets in. If that 7-5 team was to pull an upset, there is no way they should be allowed in the 8 team playoff. I think to prevent this, conferences should get rid of divisions, and take top 2 teams. Yes scheduling would be a new issue, but Id rather have imbalanced schedules than imbalanced divisions and a team like 7-5 pitt this year even having a chance at a playoff spot on last weekof regular season. And to people saying it would be too many games or they would miss too much school, fcs does it, so does div 2 and 3. If they can pull it off, fbs sure can. One last thing, I hate the nearly month off between last game and playoff game, it makes no sense. The playoff would prevent that as well.