Football reclassifications

DisabledAccount

Just glanced over the list.   One thing does confuse me a little.   Looking at Class 7A, District 7 is a 6-team district (Lakeland, Kathleen, Strawberry Crest, Bloomingdale, Plant City and Durant), but neighboring District 8 only has 4 teams (Armwood, TBT, Wiregrass Ranch and East Bay).  Why wouldn't the FHSAA have made two 5-team districts (by moving over any one of the last four teams listed)?

On the one hand, it probably doesn't matter.  But in this new era of racking up points, teams with fewer district games presumably have the ability to 'schedule smarter' than those with more. 

2 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Just glanced over the list.   One thing does confuse me a little.   Looking at Class 7A, District 7 is a 6-team district (Lakeland, Kathleen, Strawberry Crest, Bloomingdale, Plant City and Durant), but neighboring District 8 only has 4 teams (Armwood, TBT, Wiregrass Ranch and East Bay).  Why wouldn't the FHSAA have made two 5-team districts (by moving over any one of the last four teams listed)?

On the one hand, it probably doesn't matter.  But in this new era of racking up points, teams with fewer district games presumably have the ability to 'schedule smarter' than those with more. 

Hey buddy... got tired of waiting 2 days for replies on the other spot?  LOL

9 minutes ago, DB4 said:

7A got a lot tougher in my opinion, especially in South Florida. STA will still be the favorite in their district, but Plantation will make them work harder. Then you add Wekiva up north. Going to be very interesting.

And STA's kryptonite: Miramar. 4-3 against Miramar in the last seven years. I'm sure Harriott and company aren't too pleased with that. 

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

I think the FHSAA did a good job, I will only disagree with one thing on their FAQ

"A: After traveling the state this past year, the consensus the FHSAA heard from its athletic directors and coaches was that they wanted an equal number of teams by classification, an even number of teams in each district and region and no three-team districts. Moving schools would go against that sentiment and would create uneven classifications, regions or districts. The staff has thoroughly reviewed the assignments and do not see any schools that are geographically isolated that would require movement to another classification (FHSAA Policy 12). To maintain the wishes of our constituents, the FHSAA will not be accepting appeals."

I do not think they lived up to the part where are equal number of teams per classification considering 1A-4A have 40ish teams and 5A-8A have 80 teams. Again, the FHSAA would have done better to remove one class and then do equal size classes. Instead of the current 1/3 and 2/3 rule they follow.  

If they actually traveled the state I’m sure a majority public wanted to be separated from private. FHSAA only heads what they wanna hear.

12 minutes ago, WhatsUpDoc said:

If they actually traveled the state I’m sure a majority public wanted to be separated from private. FHSAA only heads what they wanna hear.

That isn't a fhsaa choice

Separating the publics and privates have to be done at state legislation level and considering the state legislature has proven many times that they don't care about the school system best bet it will never happen 

9 hours ago, WhatsUpDoc said:

I think the argument for separating publics and privates is losing strength. 

In 4A, Cardinal Gibbons will have to deal with Booker T and Carol City in the south, and Bolles will have Cocoa in the north.  In 5A, American Heritage will have to deal with Northwestern.  If they are able to get past them, they have Raines and Vanguard in the north.  St Thomas' playoff path just got a little tougher, and they have not won a state title two years in a row due to public schools.  Chaminade and Trinity Catholic are virtually competing in a private league in 3A.  Outside those teams, which private school(s) is really a threat?

Not that I am completely averse to separating them, but I don't see a big justification.  ...just so some folks don't have to deal with a few private schools, all of whom can and have been beaten by public schools?  St Thomas is the best of the lot, and though excellent,  they are not exactly dominating the better public schools. 

Of course there are issues (as is to be expected) but this was a very solid job by the FHSAA. 

I think we will see some more lopsided scores (4A for instance, nobody will be able to go with Carol City) but on the whole, we have more equal classifications. 8A north got better, 7A south got better, 6A north got better, and 4A north got better. Excited for the upcoming season, hope everybody is back to work. 

1 hour ago, blackmagic said:

Why wasn't Moore Haven placed in 1A???

48 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

I believe you have to choose to be in 1A (less than 600, rural designation), they must have not chosen to be in 1A. 

I know one of the coaches at Moore Haven and asked him the same question.  His response was that 2A is actually smaller than 1A, as confusing as that sounds.  It had to do with the split between the urban and rural distinctions as class 1A is rural/public  (which Moore Haven fits this) and the vast majority of 2A is urban/private.  Moore Haven choose to be in 2A and are one of only three public schools in that class as most of the rural public schools are in north Florida.  Moore Haven considers Glades Day as their rival.  I asked if Moore Haven has ever considered switching to 1A and it has been discussed but for now, they are happy in 2A.   So from what I gathered, geography had a lot to do with the decision to go 2A, but now that the small classes don't have districts anymore, they may consider going back to 1A but not for now.   I also was curious as to why a rivalry with Pahokee never developed and its just one of those things that the two never have played as for years they were in separate districts and classes.  

On 12/14/2018 at 9:00 PM, gatorman-uf said:

Curious, but there seem to be a lot of large south Florida teams missing from the new classifications

Dr. Krop
Ferguson
Hialeah Gardens
Hialeah Miami Lakes
Hollywood Hills
Goleman
Miami Sunset
Pompano Beach
Reagan
Varela
Westland Hialeah

-----
Titusville???
Umatilla???
Warner Christian???

All went independent except Hollywood Hills which likely will be a 6A or 7A team. 

5 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

I know one of the coaches at Moore Haven and asked him the same question.  His response was that 2A is actually smaller than 1A, as confusing as that sounds.  It had to do with the split between the urban and rural distinctions as class 1A is rural/public  (which Moore Haven fits this) and the vast majority of 2A is urban/private.  Moore Haven choose to be in 2A and are one of only three public schools in that class as most of the rural public schools are in north Florida.  Moore Haven considers Glades Day as their rival.  I asked if Moore Haven has ever considered switching to 1A and it has been discussed but for now, they are happy in 2A.   So from what I gathered, geography had a lot to do with the decision to go 2A, but now that the small classes don't have districts anymore, they may consider going back to 1A but not for now.   I also was curious as to why a rivalry with Pahokee never developed and its just one of those things that the two never have played as for years they were in separate districts and classes.  

If Moore Haven fits 1A, why FHSAA didn't force them into 1A? They forced other teams into different classes. 

I also wonder why Madison is still in 1A-Region 3 and not in 1A-Region 2. What makes Taylor County Region 2 and not Madison?

On 12/14/2018 at 9:00 PM, gatorman-uf said:

Curious, but there seem to be a lot of large south Florida teams missing from the new classifications

Dr. Krop
Ferguson
Hialeah Gardens
Hialeah Miami Lakes
Hollywood Hills
Goleman
Miami Sunset
Pompano Beach
Reagan
Varela
Westland Hialeah

-----
Titusville???
Umatilla???
Warner Christian???

..very interesting situation.  Many of these are programs that have struggled over the years to get traction and gotten slaughtered regularly...no fun.  There are a LOT of such schools and that number is likely to grow big-time in future years as more schools open.  

Should we just let these schools cull themselves, or build into the current system a mechanism to allow them to play in the classes against programs at a similar level of maturity, ie a relegation system?  

IMO, this is the biggest issue we face today in FL hs football...much bigger than transfers or playoff systems..because this issue impacts so many teams.  The rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer.  And it is clearly getting worse.  Anyone watching football over the past 25 years can see it clearly.  

Allowing teams to go off and their do their own thing..I can see that leading to a real mess in the future.  As challenging as it might be to design such a system, I think we have to start thinking outside the box in terms of solutions if we want to keep hs football looking anything like what it has in the past.  

6 minutes ago, blackmagic said:

If Moore Haven fits 1A, why FHSAA didn't force them into 1A? They forced other teams into different classes. 

I also wonder why Madison is still in 1A-Region 3 and not in 1A-Region 2. What makes Taylor County Region 2 and not Madison?

You could ask the same question about the other 2 public schools in class 2A.  As explained to me, Moore Haven asked to be in this class a few years ago.  It has always been difficult for me to understand the overlap of the two classes.  It is my understanding that it was pushed by the rural 1A schools in north Florida were the majority of them reside.  South of I4 there aren't that many rural small town schools under 600 students, (I only count 4).   Also keep in mind,  many of the small private schools decided to form independent conferences rather than play in class 2a. 

2 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

You could ask the same question about the other 2 public schools in class 2A.  As explained to me, Moore Haven asked to be in this class a few years ago.  It has always been difficult for me to understand the overlap of the two classes.  It is my understanding that it was pushed by the rural 1A schools in north Florida were the majority of them reside.  South of I4 there aren't that many rural small town schools under 600 students, (I only count 4).   Also keep in mind,  many of the small private schools decided to form independent conferences rather than play in class 2a. 

What are the other 2 public schools?