The Impact of Transfers in a Metro Area - An Example

OldSchoolLion

Below are 41 transfers that took place in Broward County(one of the transfer hotbeds) over the past two seasons.  Specifically, these were transfers of better players(potential starters) who went from a public school to one of the powerhouses of the county, ie Deerfield Beach, St Thomas Aquinas, etc.  A school like Flanagan was greatly impacted, but many of the schools lost only 1 or two players.  What I find interesting is the breadth of the impact.  The majority of the public schools in Broward County lost at least one player.  It demonstrates how pervasive transferring is there.

In some cases, the impact of an individual may have been negligible.  In other cases, multiple transfers may have had a significant impact, ie a school lost two very good linebackers or offensive  linemen.   We focus a lot of attention on the teams we know get a lot of transfers.  I believe a lot of these teams would do just fine even without the transfers, because they know how to grow talent in-house.  What we don't often look at is the impact the transfers are having on less-known programs, like some of those below.  Even though a school may have lost just one better player in a season, if that individual was a team leader, that one transfer could have a substantial impact. 

Some of the teams below have done quite well of late, so possibly the transfer athlete(s) they lost did not have a big impact.  Others, like Flanagan, make you wonder.  Flanagan has won only 2 games total in the past two reasons.  And remember, these may be only some the transfers they lost over the past two years.  Broward County public schools, as a whole, have done surprisingly poor in the playoffs over the past 15 years.  Is that due to transfers?  It's really hard to say with any level of certainty.  I do believe the following is clearly an example of how power is concentrating in metro areas.

Boyd Anderson

Daniel Barker(TE) - Deerfield Beach

Coconut Creek

Miguel Edwards-(CB) 3-star - Deerfield Beach

Dillard

Robert Boyd-OL(Jr) 3-star - Deerfield Beach

Braylen Ingraham(DE) 4-star - St Thomas Aquinas

Douglas

Miles Dickens(DE) 3-star - Deerfield Beach

Michael Earle(OL & DT)-Cardinal Gibbons

Ely

Marcus Lafrance-(CB) 3-star - Deerfield Beach

Dashaun Davis(WR) 2 star) - Deerfield Beach

Grantis Poole-(WR)-Chaminade

Woody Dean(OL)-Deerfield Beach

Everglades

Kijuan Reid-Jacques(DE)-Chaminade

Flanagan

Nathaniel Noel(RB) 3 star – Northwestern

Desjuan Kearse(QB) - Champagnat

Justin George(OL) -Chaminade

Troy Ingle(OL)-American Heritage Plantation

Benjamin Onwuzo(CB)- Chaminade

Dyllon Lester(S)-American Heritage Plantation

Hallandale magnet

Georell Kidd(DL) – Northwestern 

Kemani Brown(QB&SR) - Northwestern

Jarule Harris(LB & DE) – Northwestern

Javarris Brownlee(CB) 3* - Carol City

Malcolm Ray(DT) 3* - Carol City

Amari Johnson(WR) 3* - Carol City

McArthur

Joseph Habinowski(OL)-Chaminade

Jahvante Royal(WR)-St Thomas Aquinas

Avery Huff(LB)-St Thomas Aquinas

Miramar

Keyshawn Fede(LB)-Chaminade

Devon Betty(LB)-St Thomas Aquinas

Henry Gray(CB)-Miami Central

Monarch

Xavier Restrepo(WR)-St Thomas Aquinas

Nova

Ahmaud Jordan(S)-Chaminade

Cameron Williams(DE)-Chaminade

Piper

Derohn King(QB)-Deerfield Beach

Plantation

Lynden Washington(OL)-Chaminade

South Plantation

Carter Davis(P)-Chaminade

Timothy Butler(OL)-Chaminade 

Jonathan Weaver(OL)-Cardinal Gibbons

West Broward

Yousef Abu(OL)-Chaminade

Thomas Armstrong(DE)-Chaminade

Marc Christie(LB)-Chaminade

Western

Julian Hernandez(OL)-St Thomas Aquinas

...some more transfers below that I am adding to the original post.  Hallandale lost 3 players each to Carol City(all 3 star players) and Northwestern.  Talk about devastation.  Miramar(4-star player) lost a player and Flanagan lost two players(one 3-star player) lost a player to a Miami-Dade school. 

Kids are transferring from Broward to Miami-Dade, but not so much in the other direction.  As if the Broward County public schools don't have enough to worry about with losing players to the Broward private school powerhouses, they are also losing kids to Miami-Dade

Henry Gray-transferred from Miramar to Miami Central in 2018

Woody Dean-transferred from Ely to Deerfield Beach in 2018

Avery Huff-transferred from McArthur to St Thomas Aquinas in 2018

Javarris Brownlee 3* -transferred from Hallandale to Carol City

Malcolm Ray 3* -transferred from Hallandale to Carol City

Amari Johnson 3* -transferred from Hallandale to Carol City

Desjuan Kearse-transferred from Flanagan to Champagnat

Cecil Powell-transferred from Piper to Boyd Anderson

Kingsley Grissett-transferred from Western to Piper

18 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Chaminade with 13 transfers in. Enrollment of 511. Who pays their tuition? Not sure why they needed 13 transfers unless the athletes are getting a better education and college offers.

...some background.  Once a team brings in such a high number of transfer starters, unless they are willing to take a hit for a year or two to build some bench strength, they will always be reliant on transfers if they want to maintain a comparable level of performance.  What underclassmen are going to stick around and play for a coach who allows transfers to come in and play in front of them?  

As you'll see below, Miami High lost several very good players(they also lost Dontae Lucas to IMG).  But the Dade County public schools, as a whole, do not lose anywhere near the amount of talent as the Broward schools do.  Compare this list of 14 highly-recruited Dade players that transferred over the past two years to the list of 41 such players that Broward public schools lost.  Maybe that's one reason why Broward public schools have struggled to win state titles over the years

• Leslie Smith/LB-Northwestern-transferred from Miami High in 2018
  • Marcus Barthell/RB-Booker T Washington-transferred from Miami High in 2018
  • Marcus Fleming/WR-Southridge-transferred from Miami High in 2018
  • Roscoe Parrish III/WR-Southridge-transferred from Miami High in 2018
  • Brieon Fuller/WR-Jackson-transferred from Doral in 2018
  • Denzal Daxon/DT-Carol City-transferred from Doral in 2018
  • Joe Smith/LB-Southridge-transferred from Keys Gate in 2017
  • Jonathan Denis/OL-South Dade-transferred from Keys Gate in 2017
  • Cornelius Nunn/S-Miami Palmetto-transferred from Southwest in 2017
  • Jacquez Stuart/RB-Northwestern-transferred from North Miami in 2017
  • Samuel Anaele/DE-Carol City-transferred from Norland in 2018
  • Jovan Ferguson/ATH-St Thomas Aquinas-transferred from Carol City in 2018