Upper Class Reclass Biggest Winners/Losers & Strongest/Weakest Regions

OldSchoolLion

BIGGEST WINNERS

1st Place  - Miami Northwestern

Miami Central, Carol City and Mainland are out of the way in their new region AND class.  The only teams that likely stand in Northwestern's way each year in their path to the 5A final are American Heritage Plantation in Region 4 and Jesuit in Region 3.  And with Bolles and Trinity leaving 5A in the North, it could make things much easier for Northwestern to win a state title in 5A. 

2nd Place - Deerfield Beach

Atlantic, Miramar, Piper, Plantation, and Western all move out of Region 3, and Vero Beach is the only perennial contender to move in to take their place.  Southridge is now out of the way in Region 4, though DB will still have to contend with South Dade and Columbus.

3rd Place - Miami Central

Northwestern, Carol City and Mainland are out of the way in Region 4, which is huge.   They do get Southridge, though.  And with the addition of Braden River and Jefferson to Region 3, that region may not be quite the pushover it has been in the past for the 6A Miami teams.   

BIGGEST LOSERS

1st Place - North Marion

Just when North Marion found its mojo and won a region title...now they get a host of contenders joining their region, including Bishop Moore, Jones, and Vanguard. And despite Bolles and Trinity Christian leaving Region 1, they get the pleasure of dealing with Raines if they do make the 5A semifinals.

2nd Place - Western

Western gets thrown to the lions in 8A Region 4 and will have to contend with Columbus, South Dade, Palmetto and Coral Gables.  Wildcats are tough, but lions they ain't.

3rd Place - St Thomas Aquinas 

7A Region 4 was arguably the weakest region in the upper classes...not any more.  Miramar has always been a thorn in STA's side, and now they join them in the region.  And Atlantic could be just as much of a pain to STA as Dwyer, if not more so.  Plantation, North Miami and Homestead could all provide some resistance, as well.  Interestingly, Homestead gave STA fits in the playoffs back in the 1980's.  

STRONGEST REGION

1st Place - 7A Region 1

With Lincoln, Crestview, Niceville, Navarre, Fletcher, Wekiva, and Edgewater, this region is stacked, and should be ultra-competitive.

2nd Place - 8A Region 4

Even with the loss of Southridge, this region is still packed with talent..South Dade, Palmetto, Columbus, Coral Gables, and an up-and-coming Western and Piper squads. 

3rd Place - 6A Region 1

With Columbia, Lee, Gainesville, Mainland and Ponte Vedra, this should be a fun and competitive region.

WEAKEST REGION

1st Place - 6A Region 2

This region wins it hands down.  Only 3 teams that made the playoffs last year, and not one that made it past the first round.  When Clearwater, Gaither and Largo are the best in a region, well...need I say more?

2nd Place - 5A Region 4

Outside Northwestern and American Heritage Plantation, it's slim pickens.  Mark your calendars for this region final.

3rd Place -  7A Region 3

Outside Venice, Dwyer, and Manatee, this region is really weak. 

This is just for fun and to generate discussion.  What do you think of the selections?  It's fine to disagree! ...not that any of ya'll need encouragement.:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

BIGGEST WINNERS

Miami Central, Carol City and Mainland are out of the way in their new region AND class.  The only teams that likely stand in Northwestern's way each year in their path to the 5A final are American Heritage Plantation in Region 4 and Jesuit in Region 3.  And with Bolles and Trinity leaving 5A in the North, it could make things much easier for Northwestern to win a state title in 5A. 

Atlantic, Miramar, Piper, Plantation, and Western all move out of Region 3, and Vero Beach is the only perennial contender to move in to take their place.  Southridge is now out of the way in Region 4, though DB will still have to contend with South Dade and Columbus.

Northwestern, Carol City and Mainland are out of the way in Region 4, which is huge.   They do get Southridge, though.  And with the addition of Braden River and Jefferson to Region 3, that region may not be quite the pushover it has been in the past for the 6A Miami teams.   

BIGGEST LOSERS

1st Place - North Marion

Just when North Marion found its mojo and won a region title...now they get a host of contenders joining their region, including Bishop Moore, Jones, and Vanguard. And despite Bolles and Trinity Christian leaving Region 1, they get the pleasure of dealing with Raines if they do make the 5A semifinals.

2nd Place - Western

Western gets thrown to the lions in 8A Region 4 and will have to contend with Columbus, South Dade, Palmetto and Coral Gables.  Wildcats are tough, but lions they ain't.

7A Region 4 was arguably the weakest region in the upper classes...not any more.  Miramar has always been a thorn in STA's side, and now they join them in the region.  And Atlantic could be just as much of a pain to STA as Dwyer, if not more so.  Plantation, North Miami and Homestead could all provide some resistance, as well.  Interestingly, Homestead gave STA fits in the playoffs back in the 1980's.  

STRONGEST REGION

1st Place - 7A Region 1

With Lincoln, Crestview, Niceville, Navarre, Fletcher, Wekiva, and Edgewater, this region is stacked, and should be ultra-competitive.

2nd Place - 8A Region 4

Even with the loss of Southridge, this region is still packed with talent..South Dade, Palmetto, Columbus, Coral Gables, and an up-and-coming Western and Piper squads. 

3rd Place - 6A Region 1

With Columbia, Lee, Gainesville, Mainland and Ponte Vedra, this should be a fun and competitive region.

WEAKEST REGION

1st Place - 6A Region 2

This region wins it hands down.  Only 3 teams that made the playoffs last year, and not one that made it past the first round.  When Clearwater, Gaither and Largo are the best in a region, well...need I say more?

2nd Place - 5A Region 

Outside Northwestern and American Heritage Plantation, it's slim pickens.  Mark your calendars for this region final.

3rd Place -  7A Region 3

Outside Venice, Dwyer, and Mantee, this region is really weak. 

This is just for fun and to generate discussion.  What do you think of the selections?  It's fine to disagree!

What do you think are the best new districts and worst districts?

Btw 4a region 4 might be strongest region I saw

Also agree on 6a region 2, seems like that region will be a breather game for whoever wins 6a 1 before a likely showdown with Miami Central in finals

23 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Also agree on 6a region 2, seems like that region will be a breather game for whoever wins 6a 1 before a likely showdown with Miami Central in finals

In the upper classes, one would be hard-pressed to find a more competitive district than 7A District 1 with Lincoln, Crestview, Niceville, Navarre, and Chiles.  This might be the district most likely to send 4 teams to the playoffs.

Worst?  Not sure I want to think about that.  LOL  There are a number that could challenge for that title. 

I will say, after making myself cross-eyed looking at the new regions/districts, I see better parity.

Although some teams will have an easier playoff path now, all gained at least one new, formidable foe in their way.  In that sense, I am impressed by the new alignment and amazed they managed to avoid creating a free ride for at least one team.  Northwestern hit the jackpot, but AHP will definitely be a new challenge.

Nobody liked seeing Central, Northwestern and Carol City in one region/class.  But I think it would be bad for the FHSAA playoff series to see multiple teams from Miami winning state titles.  We've never seen 5 teams from a county playing for a state title in one year(and only twice have we seen 4 teams from a county).  Now, Champagnat(2A), Carol City(4A), Northwestern(5A), Central(6A) and Columbus(8A) all have a legitimate shot of making a title game in their respective classes, if not winning the title.  And with Chaminade in 3A and St Thomas in 7A, we could be seeing Broward and Dade counties fill half of the slots (except for 1A) in the state finals in future years. 

1 hour ago, Jags904 said:

If Columbia isn’t playing for a state title next year, I would have to view it as a disappointment. 

Now, in addition to Lee,  Columbia will have to deal with Escambia, Gainesville, Ponte Vedra, Mainland, St Augustine...all of whom can be dangerous in any one year.  If the stars align,  6A Region 1 could be brutal.  Mainland and St Augustine have not been themselves of late.  I would definitely not discount them.

That said, if Columbia did not make it next year, it may not necessarily be a disappointment.  They are in what is potentially one of the most competitive regions in the state, regardless of class.  All those teams mentioned above have been state title winners/contenders in the past.

If Columbia can navigate through the region 1 they should have no problem against region 2 but region one will present challenges

Biggest question I have is how does Columbia replace a senior heavy defense and offense line

As OSL said region 1 has some roadblocks 

And of those teams ponte vedra is biggest wildcard of the teams listed being they are only ones we haven't beaten (or played for that matter)

Btw @Jags904 was the Lee qb a junior or senior

I have seen 2 different answers

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

So miami central is already the fave for next year? I mean i understand why they would be. 

But u cant over look DILLARD Who led miami central 7-6 in the second quarter and trailed miami central 28-20 with 3 min left in the 4th Qt. Threw all the tough teams that was mentioned that made 6a tough dillard wasnt mentioned hmmmm

20 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

So miami central is already the fave for next year? I mean i understand why they would be. 

But u cant over look DILLARD Who led miami central 7-6 in the second quarter and trailed miami central 28-20 with 3 min left in the 4th Qt. Threw all the tough teams that was mentioned that made 6a tough dillard wasnt mentioned hmmmm

A lot can happen between now and November but if I had to guess Miami Central would be considered favorite

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

6A District 12 is kinda  interesting with Braden River, Charlotte, Port Charlotte and Palmetto.  3 of the 4 won first round playoff games this past season.  Port Charlotte did not make the playoffs,but came within a TD of Charlotte.

8A District 1 with Mandarin, Oakleaf, Bartram Trail and Sandalwood could be another interesting district that could produce multiple playoff teams.

On 12/15/2018 at 12:59 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

BIGGEST WINNERS

BIGGEST LOSERS

1st Place - North Marion

2nd Place - Western

STRONGEST REGION

1st Place - 7A Region 1

2nd Place - 8A Region 4

3rd Place - 6A Region 1

WEAKEST REGION

1st Place - 6A Region 2

2nd Place - 5A Region 4

3rd Place -  7A Region 3

Outside Venice, Dwyer, and Manatee, this region is really weak. 

This is just for fun and to generate discussion.  What do you think of the selections?  It's fine to disagree! ...not that any of ya'll need encouragement.:rolleyes:

No arguments from me... Its a Win for my Tornadoes tho.  No more Charlotte and Fort Meyers trading them in for Springstead Gaither and St. Pete... It should be an easy route the the state semis for either Clearwater or Largo LOL

On 12/15/2018 at 1:41 PM, badbird said:

6A region 2 is really bad

Only one team ranked in the top 150 on maxpreps.  If Columbia can't make it next year they should cancel the program

Hey man get off my Region LOL... I am just glad I might get to watch a Pinellas team host a Columbia or Mainland and get slaughtered in a State Semifinal LMAO

22 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

We play a stronger schedule and will likely have a lot more points should we make semifinals then Anyone in that region

We have had 40+ point average last 2 years which will be enough to host most if not all teams in that region

You will find a way to choke.  

8 hours ago, 181pl said:

Columbia had 1 state title from 51 years ago. Enough already. Earn it. Until that time this is all fluff. Lee beat Columbia handily. They were slaughtered by Edgewater who was routed by Lakeland. Columbia is not the favorite for anything until they win something.

31-27 while playing with a 3rd string QB is handily???

Wow that a new one

I didn't know 4 points was a blowout but I guess I learn something everyday

I said handily. Not a route. They opened a very big lead and to Columbia's credit they made a run.

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

31-27 while playing with a 3rd string QB is handily???

Wow that a new one

I didn't know 4 points was a blowout but I guess I learn something everyday

17 minutes ago, 181pl said:

I said handily. Not a route. They opened a very big lead and to Columbia's credit they made a run.

4 points isn't decisive or handily and had you followed along that game you would be aware that Columbia was about to drive down the field and win the game only for the officials to incorrectly short Columbia of a down 

Which is why they were suspended by the fhsaa for the reminder of the playoffs

If you want a more clear idea of this series with Lee you should look at first matchups

Columbia was up 14 points heading into halftime before Lee cheaphit the QB after he released ball and knocked him out of the game, had they not done that Columbia would have probably won by 24 points then come playoffs they knocked QB out of the game again

It's funny that only Lee is involved in our QB being injured, we played IMG, TCA and Madison county

All teams known for being physical yet our QB neber got hurt but against Lee he gets injured both times?

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/the-prep-zone/gam372c1f7b53

1:13:44

Go to that play and watch as the QB gets hit